• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cav is...

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
michel700c said:
Cav's wheel buckled from powerful side load. If the no-name carbon rim hadn't buckled, it could have been a clean sprint finish.

1276624581_extras_albumes_0.jpg

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
krebs303 said:

Was that wheel buckling before Haussler rode over it? I'd be surprised to learn that a carbon wheel just up and split from the force of a sprint. I obviously don't produce Cav's power, but I'd be second-guessing my carbon rims if that's the case.

Edited to add: Put me in the "officially unsure" category about Cav. I suspect this was just a really aggressive spring that went bad, while equally aggressive sprints usually work out safely.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
eleven said:
Was that wheel buckling before Haussler rode over it?

No, buckled the moment of impact with Haussler. Just watched the footage again over and over at that point.

The penalties in cycling seem quite lame for dangerous behavior like that.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
M Sport said:
No, buckled the moment of impact with Haussler. Just watched the footage again over and over at that point.

The penalties in cycling seem quite lame for dangerous behavior like that.

If it buckled at impact, perhaps I misunderstood what the poster meant by "powerful side load". I'm not sure many wheels made of any material would survive the "side load" of getting whacked at high-speed like that.

...i could be wrong. I try to avoid learning such things the hard way.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
Whatever, dude. Both Cav and Haussler saw that Ciolek was going backwards and moved across to be in front of him, and neither of them saw the other, and they rode in to each other. There was no malicious intent on the part of either of them, and no great incompetence either. It was an accident. Sprinting is dangerous. It happens.

I do not see it that way. If you look at the overhead video you will see that Cav starts out on the right side of Ciolek and Haussler is on Ciolek's left. They both go around Ciolek and Cav crosses from Ciolek's right side to his left side. Haussler just moved a few inches and did not cross in front of Ciolek. Totally Cav's fault.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Sh!!! happens in big bunch sprints Cav welcome to real sprints.

Notice the CN photo Robbie McEwan has time to look around 180 deg and check out the damage before crossing the line.

He would be thinking well there goes another two danger men out of action for a few days.
What the hell you doing Cav taking a nap in the finish straight. If you lay on the road you get run over.

Have them wheels passed the crush test?

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
redtreviso said:
here..the wheel is still a wheel

cavmarkee.jpg

That photo is actually after the one showing it bent. If you watch the video you actually see the wheel back in semi normal shape spinning as the bike comes to a stop.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
eleven said:
Edited to add: Put me in the "officially unsure" category about Cav. I suspect this was just a really aggressive spring that went bad, while equally aggressive sprints usually work out safely.
If you look at the footage from the stationary front view finish camera, Cav clearly found that he had put himself in a position where he did not want to be. Namely, he was being way too aggresive in trying to pinch Haussler. Trying to quickly get back to his right, he did a natural move turning his front wheel left to place his center of gravity properly for the turn. Unfortunately, this move put his front wheel directly in the path of Haussler's front wheel.

It was not a structural failure of Cav's wheel, Haussler had no option but to ride over it and shatter it. Pity that Heinrich and not Mark had to leave the race. I suspect Cav will have very few friends in the peloton tomorrow.

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
chambers said:
I do not see it that way. If you look at the overhead video you will see that Cav starts out on the right side of Ciolek and Haussler is on Ciolek's left. They both go around Ciolek and Cav crosses from Ciolek's right side to his left side. Haussler just moved a few inches and did not cross in front of Ciolek. Totally Cav's fault.

To me it looks like they both came together haussler being much taller then cav did see him and cav was being and idiot sprinting with his head down both at fault.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Mach Schnell said:
Robbie's probably still giggling about this:D

yeah im sure he is. first thing first i hope everyone is ok and going to recover that said. cavendish ffd up and got himself ran over by tom boonen and some others utterly classic and hilarious.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
chambers said:

+1

Haussler's movement is the "natural" movement you might expect in the dangerous world of sprinting (and he didn't cross Ciolek!!!), Cav's movement is approaching Abdou proportions, and is either an intentional bump gone wrong, or simply out of control. It's obvious from his past behaviour that he deals with pressure badly, and that's starting to show more and more in his racing. Potentially as some have said, he's out of form, but also possible he's just becoming too desperate to get some runs on the board this season. Ahh the joy of being labelled "wonderboy" and "the best", no pressure there at all.

Either way a real penalty should have been imposed, but at least the organisers did point the finger in the right direction.

btw, the youtube vid makes it pretty clear, but steephill's video might add a bit (if only because you don't have the nationalist brit commentator from the youtube clip saying "it wasn't Cav's fault" LOL).

http://www.steephill.tv/players/youtube/?title=tds-2010-st4-crash-finish&id=oRFh9GuLYbs&w=560

I think the overhead footage showed it best. At one point Haussler Ciolek and Cavendish were side by side with Ciolek begining to lose ground through the middle. First Ciolek moved a little right towards Cav and away from Haussler, they both passed Ciolek at the same time, with Cav starting a little closer to Ciolek because he (Ciolek) had moved a bit closer to Cav. When contact was made Cav was directly in front of Ciolek who was still drifting slightly to his right. Cav moved farther left than Haussler did right but not by a whole lot. Neither one when they got to the point of contact expected the other to be there, that is why it went so bad. Both were drifting to try to use Ciolek to block anyone else from coming off their wheel with speed.
Final verdict Cav was more to blame than Haussler but I think the race juries verdict was pretty fair. There was a whole lot of movement by a few different people in the last 500 meters and had Haussler and Cavendish not arrived at the same spot at the same time it would have been a regular rough sprint, nothing more.

Jamsque said:
Whatever, dude. Both Cav and Haussler saw that Ciolek was going backwards and moved across to be in front of him, and neither of them saw the other, and they rode in to each other. There was no malicious intent on the part of either of them, and no great incompetence either. It was an accident. Sprinting is dangerous. It happens.

Uhh, uhh, uhh dude, I don't know how long you've been around the block in racing, however, you're not allowed to change path as radically as he did.

I'd buy the "he didn't mean it" excuse if he were an over-zealous amatuer, not a seasoned pro. When a pro does that, it's to "close the door." Look at it how you want, but Cav's no innocent lamb here.

Dude.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
tjwracer said:
To me it looks like they both came together haussler being much taller then cav did see him and cav was being and idiot sprinting with his head down both at fault.

what?
much taller?
179 vs 175.
4cm is MUCH taller?

IMO Somebody should already kick that little *** into his arrogant A$$. He is angry, cocky and disrespectful idiot and I think any race without him is more interesting anyway.

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
McClimber said:
All seems fine?!?!

Haussler had to abandon the Tour de Suisse because of the crash.

Sure they go fast.

Sure they bump a bit.

Sure these are the best at the game.

But don't drive out of control and hurt someone or end their season or career!!!

Are you sure about this as he only had a couple of stitches in his elbow. Does anyone else think he was quick to decide to abandon after the finish. before even going to hospital to be checked over or did the team decide for him.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Boardslide said:
Are you sure about this as he only had a couple of stitches in his elbow. Does anyone else think he was quick to decide to abandon after the finish. before even going to hospital to be checked over or did the team decide for him.

Ugly! Your ludicrous conspiracy theories are so out of order.
Bet Arnaud Coyot's suspected broken hip was a mere scratch too.

Dewulf said:
+1

Haussler's movement is the "natural" movement you might expect in the dangerous world of sprinting (and he didn't cross Ciolek!!!), Cav's movement is approaching Abdou proportions, and is either an intentional bump gone wrong, or simply out of control. It's obvious from his past behaviour that he deals with pressure badly, and that's starting to show more and more in his racing. Potentially as some have said, he's out of form, but also possible he's just becoming too desperate to get some runs on the board this season. Ahh the joy of being labelled "wonderboy" and "the best", no pressure there at all.

When I saw that the first thing I thought was how much he looked like Abdu as well.

The other point to this is that if he was struggling to out-sprint Haussler (who has only recently come back from injury), then there is something seriously wrong with Cav's form. The last couple of years Haussler wouldn't get close enough to drive into him when drunk, never mind beat him on a bike.