• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"Cavendish blasts Riccò"

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
We see the same attitude from fans. Some are ignorant. Some cannot accept that riders they like must be doping. That is understandable. But pros voicing these opinions is rather sordid. It is like vermin tearing apart one of their own after he is injured. Riders must feel very sad to see a friend caught and put on the sport's sh!t list for doing the doing the same thing they themselves are doing. They also must live in fear that the same thing could easily happen to them.

Cav picked an easy target, one who many did not like before he was caught.

BroDeal, what do you want from cyclists and cycling? You criticise some fans for being "ignorant" and "cannot accept riders are doping" when there is not a shred or evidence or accusation or intimation that a particular cyclist is doping. You criticise riders for criticising other dopers, as according to you they're all at it. So some questions:

1. What do you want from cyclists? To speak out against dopers or not to speak out against dopers? As far as I can see the former might have some effect at turning things around, and will act as encouragement/hope to young cyclists dreaming of being pro's that they can do it without taking drugs, whereas the latter will just perpetuate the impression that they're all on drugs. Do you want cycling to try to clean itself up? (Leaving Cav aside for the moment, as there is a clear hypocrisy with him being best buds with Armstrong. The same goes for Taylor Phinney, who only yesterday tweeted "dopers suck".)

2. You accuse others of not being able to accept that all cyclists are dopers, and ridicule them as being ignorant. Why can you not accept that some cyclists may not be doping?

3. If you're convinced all cyclists are doping, why do you still watch the sport? How can you get any pleasure from watching 200 druggies racing to see who is on the biggest programme? If I were convinced all pro's doped, I couldn't watch the sport. Indeed, I stopped watching in 1998 as I thought there was no point any more, and only taking more of an interest in the last couple of years as it seemed things might actually be changing.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
In my illustrious opinion - this guy is gonna' cut a few ears off this season

besides putting the d-back in douche bag

giro08pres-9ricco.jpg

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
tubularglue said:
In my illustrious opinion - this guy is gonna' cut a few ears off this season

besides putting the d-back in douche bag

giro08pres-9ricco.jpg

LOL! :D

For me he was the "guy you love to hate" before the suspension...I suspect he will be that same guy after. I mean he really does have that cookie-cutter movie star villian quality. The shit that would come out of his mouth just fired me up...as did his riding style.

So, I secretly admired him while denouncing him for the evil villian he was. :rolleyes:

With that in mind, I'm patiently waiting for his rebuttal to Cav...which will no doubt be as flamboyant as that suit he's wearing...

A

Anonymous

So he says nothing, and hes damned for not speaking out.
He says what we are all thinking, and hes damned for being a doper and a hippocrite..

You just cant win sometimes.. :D

and yes, before anyone says the punchline, i know it, "you just cant win sometimes..............." without doping.. 1 step ahead of ya..

Reminds me of David Millar's faux shock when Vino got caught. "I thought he was one of the good guys". Are you f***ing serious Dave? Cav's friendship with Lance and George...Brilliant...Just like Bradley licking the a** of Lance when he announced his comeback. Mark, if you're anti-doping in a genuine sense, you won't be so selective about the dopers you do criticise. Same with Bradley and his indignation at Moreni getting nabbed. Hypocrisy.

dimspace said:
So he says nothing, and hes damned for not speaking out.
He says what we are all thinking, and hes damned for being a doper and a hippocrite..

You just cant win sometimes.. :D

and yes, before anyone says the punchline, i know it, "you just cant win sometimes..............." without doping.. 1 step ahead of ya..

My problem is that he has been so selective. Linus was one of the only ones who had the balls to question Lance's comeback.

pedaling squares said:
John 8:7

He lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.
+1.

That was the first thing that came to my mind. Let's hope that Cav is clean for the good of cycling.

I agree with Digger about Cav being a little bit selective. I don't mind them speaking out, but why praise Armstrong. Oh I forgot he has not been caught.

A

Anonymous

Escarabajo said:
+1.

That was the first thing that came to my mind. Let's hope that Cav is clean for the good of cycling.

I agree with Digger about Cav being a little bit selective. I don't mind them speaking out, but why praise Armstrong. Oh I forgot he has not been caught.

where in that article does he praise armstrong?

Hibbles said:
BroDeal, what do you want from cyclists and cycling? You criticise some fans for being "ignorant" and "cannot accept riders are doping" when there is not a shred or evidence or accusation or intimation that a particular cyclist is doping.

Just because you haven't taken the time to inform yourself on the evidence that exists doesn't make its existence any less real.

Look at the Lance fans. Ask your average Lance fan about Ashenden or about the 1999 samples or about Catlin and they'll look at you with the same confused look that GWB patented.

A

Anonymous

Moose McKnuckles said:
Just because you haven't taken the time to inform yourself on the evidence that exists doesn't make its existence any less real.

Look at the Lance fans. Ask your average Lance fan about Ashenden or about the 1999 samples or about Catlin and they'll look at you with the same confused look that GWB patented.

OK, educate me. Where is this evidence that Cav is doping?

p.s. I'm not a Cav "fan", I just don't like seeing people accused of doping where there is absolutely no reason. You cannot possibly compare Cav to Armstrong on this.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Hibbles said:
OK, educate me. Where is this evidence that Cav is doping?

p.s. I'm not a Cav "fan", I just don't like seeing people accused of doping where there is absolutely no reason. You cannot possibly compare Cav to Armstrong on this.

Exactly, how the phuck have we got round to Armstrong AGAIN here?? Anyway my 2 cents regarding why they havent spoken out against Armstrong is the fact that the Texan has serious clout & they probably dont want to mess around with him. Probably a wise decision too for them.
Now everyone back to Cav & Ricco.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Sometime last year in an interview with the BBC Cav said that cycling was the cleanest sport in the world.
I for one can't take anyone who comes out with a statement like that seriously. Does he mean that he's clean and so is everyone else?
The way he got over that cat 2 climb on the 3rd last day of the Tour, was what did it me.
But his speaking out is typical of a pro, and it was something that Virenque said a few years ago, 'you're only a doper if you're caught' why hasn't he said anything about Valverde? Even Valverde isn't denying he's a doper, he's just moaning about who can test his blood.

A

Anonymous

Moller said:
Sometime last year in an interview with the BBC Cav said that cycling was the cleanest sport in the world.
I for one can't take anyone who comes out with a statement like that seriously. Does he mean that he's clean and so is everyone else?
The way he got over that cat 2 climb on the 3rd last day of the Tour, was what did it me.
But his speaking out is typical of a pro, and it was something that Virenque said a few years ago, 'you're only a doper if you're caught' why hasn't he said anything about Valverde? Even Valverde isn't denying he's a doper, he's just moaning about who can test his blood.

Just to play devil's advocate on Cav's comment, what he said was

Cycling fame, however, brings with it jealousy and incomprehension in the form of doping insinuations.
Typically, Cavendish tackles the issue head on, his voice rising with indignation at the scourge of his sport.
He said: 'We're the cleanest sport. There are cheats in every aspect of life, in every sport.
'If you're not willing to broaden your perspective, you won't see that cycling doesn't want to paint a rosy picture to sell itself, it's willing to knock off its highest idols if those idols are cheats.
'For sure, I don't welcome the positive tests. Sometimes doping is the only question I get asked about. I have to answer for other people's idiocy and that angers me.
'I don't dope because morally I'd rather work hard and be appreciated for what I've achieved. But also they are so advanced with the testing that they can retroactively test in the future and everything you've achieved will be questioned.
'That's why it's good for me. I can sit with my kids in 20 years' time and if they open my blood and urine samples from my career, I don't have to worry.
'That's such a nice feeling and it's why I can't imagine why people would take that risk. It doesn't make sense.'

I take that to meant that while cycling isn't clean, other sports are as dirty if not more dirty than cycling. Given how other sports (cf baseball, US Football, soccer, XC skiing etc) govern themselves and conduct tests, he's probably right.

Maybe he is doping, maybe he isn't. But at the moment there's no smoking gun, and until there is I can't see how he can be condemned as a doper.

Hibbles said:
Maybe he is doping, maybe he isn't. But at the moment there's no smoking gun, and until there is I can't see how he can be condemned as a doper.

I think that's only fair. I've never seen evidence which suggests he's a doper, other than his status as a professional cyclist, and that's not enough for me (with sprinters). I'm not saying sprinters don't dope, just that I think it's believable that some can win clean.

If someone has a statement by another rider that Cav is dirty, some doctor associations I don't know about, some kind of miraculous performances day after day that point to assisted recovery, some test result or missed tests, something like that, I'd like to hear about it. So far I haven't, but I'm eager to be educated in all things.

A

Anonymous

Escarabajo said:
Not in this artcle. I was referring to his comments when Armstrong came back.

but this isnt about armstrong..

its about cav giving his impression on riccos return.. why does everything have to come back to bloody lance..

A

Anonymous

Escarabajo said:
Ok. Enough. You asked, and that's why I answered.:mad:

Oh im not just griping at you.. ive counted the word lance about 20 times in this thread, im just having a rant thats all.. :D

See what hes doing.. hes tearing us apart..

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
I just hope for Cavendish's sake he never does test positive.

Nah, it's always better to be as little of a hypocrite as possible.:D

It would suck at first. Then it would get better owning up to it.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
Oh im not just griping at you.. ive counted the word lance about 20 times in this thread, im just having a rant thats all.. :D

See what hes doing.. hes tearing us apart..

Because everyone knows Lance is King Doper and yet they kiss up to power and kick down to Ricco.

This is why Armstrong is the CANCER.

The worst ones in that regard are hypocrites like Wiggins and Lim, and now Cavendish. Gimme a friggen break.

Well we have to ask ourselves what is worse here:

Is it worse for riders to speak out vociferously against dopers or is it worse for them to give them an easy time getting back into the sport after they've served their bans?

Clearly what he have here is scapegoating and it's been around for a long time - Jaksche, Ulrich, Heras anyone? It's the old "just a few bad apples" line. I would posit that this comes with territory of being a pro athlete - if you get caught you very likely will be "off the bus" and ostracized for giving your sport a bad image.

At the end of the day "don't get caught" is of course not nearly as good as "don't dope at all" but it's still a lot better than "just don't talk about it at all." Right?

You have to admit that a problem exists before it can be solved. Cycling has at least for a long time been open about the fact that a problem exists.

Cavendish is a chicken-sh!t. He's just kicking the lowest guy on the totem pole. He knows very well his own teammates and the big players in the sport have a doping history, but ignores the beam and focuses on the mote.

Look, doping is a fact of life in cycling. At the very least, Cavendish should show some character by not being a coward and attacking the guy with the least power when the powerful ones in the sport are the biggest dopers.

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
Anyone ever watch the old movie Stalag 17? "He who hits the hardest is the guilty one." I'm not saying Cav is doping, but his fall in cycling is in the post.