• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cavendish to Sky Confirmed?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Boasson Hagen is way too good of a rider to do leadouts for Chavendish.

Boasson Hagen was a part of Cavendish lead out when he was at HTC, and one of the reasons he changed for sky was he wanted more chances on his own.

I doubt EBH would sign a new contract with Sky if they sign Cavendish. EBH is not as good a sprinter as Cavendish, and will never be. But to be honest it would be boring to see a rider like him with his potential be reduced to a part of Cavs lead out.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Boardslide said:
His contract was up until 2010 with an option on 2011 which they took up.

I guess he did after all (a quick check said you're right). For some reason I thought it was for until 2011 + 1 year.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Michielveedeebee said:
Renshaw is faster than Degenkolb imo
Don't think so.

Really surprised at how little Cav earned.

Adds interest to HTC if they're left with just the younger guys, although they'll probably knock the wins out in a similar way.

A merge with the transfers thread would be good.

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
all the say basically is the same old Sky are the favourites, etc etc.

I think he will sign for sky, but I think the mail are full of hot air.

Then again, i did post yesterday that we had been told something would be announced regarding Cav this week.

If it was written by anyone other than Richard Moore I'd agree, but his credentials where Sky are concerned are impeccable.

Karl Max said:
Boasson Hagen was a part of Cavendish lead out when he was at HTC, and one of the reasons he changed for sky was he wanted more chances on his own.

I doubt EBH would sign a new contract with Sky if they sign Cavendish. EBH is not as good a sprinter as Cavendish, and will never be. But to be honest it would be boring to see a rider like him with his potential be reduced to a part of Cavs lead out.

Get EBH out of flat sprint stages altogether, what an absolute waste. Or does Edvald himself want to be a major sprinter?

TeamSkyFans said:

Then again, i did post yesterday that we had been told something would be announced regarding Cav this week.

I guess his tweets were a good "non-denial", at least in terms of leaving THR... Didn't you say that you were expecting him to announce he's leaving at the end of the year? Maybe he should come out and say that to end half of the speculation.

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
So if Cav joins Sky and HTC folds, Specialized will be the new bike partner of Team Sky? Right?

Any infos about the contract period of the Pina-deal?

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Get EBH out of flat sprint stages altogether, what an absolute waste. Or does Edvald himself want to be a major sprinter?

They've long said he's not a bunch sprinter, but when he's in the team he's more often than not their fastest guy, so why not use him?

Cav's arrival should be seen as good news for EBH. I think.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
hatcher said:
Cav's arrival should be seen as good news for EBH. I think.
I agree. EBH would have to work hard for Cav, but he would still be leader in harder stages and classics when Cav doesn't have a chance. It worked for Kirchen for example.

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually happy for Cav here, Sky seems like a great team for him especially if HTC decides not to continue. I am surprised however at how little Cav earns and will earn: 2 million, while Gilbert for instance asks for 3. I'd actually estimate Cav at least as high or even higher than Gilbert, publicity-wise.

I am sorry however for some of my favourite riders currently at Sky: Hagen, Thomas and Swift. Hagen might have the oppertunity to leave the team and go elsewhere if he finds he doesn't get enough chances here. Thomas and Swift will probably have to stay because few other teams can offer the support on both road and track (especially regarding the Olympics).

If this is true, Sky is getting an absolutely incredible classics team, with now Eisel added to that team, along with the rumours on Langeveld and Gilbert with Leukemans amongst others.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm still not convinced this is going to happen but I won't be surprised if it does.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, but it depends on how Sky deals with it. They have a lot of talented young riders and I think everyone here agrees that it would be a great shame if guys like Swift and EBH are given fewer leadership opportunities. Still, the GreenEdge exodus is going to hit Sky hard so they will probably not have as many sprinters next season even if they do add Cav.

He's obviously going to be the number one leader at every flat race, whichever team he rides for, I just hope Sky doesn't become Team Cav.

kjetilraknerud said:
I agree. EBH would have to work hard for Cav, but he would still be leader in harder stages and classics when Cav doesn't have a chance. It worked for Kirchen for example.
What if Gilbert goes to sky too? Then EBH would be a domestique in pretty much all races. I can't see them affording both of them though, but you never know.

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
"As always, I can't go 1 race without some sort of sht going on. At least it's not a crash this time! I will say I'm committed... @HTCHighroad until the end of this year, and I'm concetrating [sic] now on #TourDeFrance. Also, please note, all quotes are 9 months old."

Well it's not a denial, possibly more like annoyance at the timing and not wanting to confirm just yet.

from cyclingweekly

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:
What if Gilbert goes to sky too?

That won't happen though, will it? I think Sky's interest may cool considerably if Cav is confirmed. I think Phil was always Plan B in 'Operation Sign A Superstar'.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:
What if Gilbert goes to sky too? Then EBH would be a domestique in pretty much all races. I can't see them affording both of them though, but you never know.
That would be a very different scenario of course, but EBH and Cav can easily be on the same team IMO.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Machu Picchu said:
Well it's not a denial, possibly more like annoyance at the timing and not wanting to confirm just yet.

from cyclingweekly

SO basically Cav has said, " I am going to Sky but I don't really want to talk about it now, I am annoyed it got out and I don't want HTC to be ****ed with me going into the tour".

He could of categorically denied it and then signed with Sky like Wiggins but he has chosen the more moral path by not denying it but not saying he is going (even though it is obvious he is).

TeamSkyFans said:

Then again, i did post yesterday that we had been told something would be announced regarding Cav this week.[/

Sky give you info.

Cool.

Have you heard anything about the Henao rumor then?

It will also free up some of the financial strain for HTC, as well as let them focus on other riders.

They are still an American based team, and with the next American hope for GT success on their roster. It wouldn't be smart for them to waste Van Garderen's talents doing Cav leadouts, or let him sign with Garmin or the Shack.

TRENDING THREADS