• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 530 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 27, 2013
4,352
2
0
Somebody here did the math on Jalabert's 1995 and Rominger's 1994 a while back. Without non-last-stage leader's jerseys both were already above 4000 points
 
Aug 12, 2012
3,991
0
0
Re: Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
DFA123 said:
Netserk said:
While I didn't like him one bit the first couple of years after his transformation, I now often have wildly varying feelings towards him, but today was quite clear. What a ride. What a champion. This was so, so impressive. A miraculous comeback, and a mighty determination. It is the hope of witnessing such displays that is a large part of why I watch cycling.

Probably the strongest will in today's cycling.
This. I haven't been a fan of him either, but this kind of show is surely why everyone watches cycling. At least for those who are a fan of the sport itself primarily, rather than of individual personalities.

All the snide clinic references and comments that this is bad for cycling are way misplaced imo. This is exactly the kind of action and drama that cycling needs. Dumoulin trudging his way along to a 3 minute win, despite never animating the race would have been bad for the sport and almost instantly forgotten. Like Wiggins 2012. This performance by Froome has elevated the whole Giro to legendary status.
I think a much better example would be Evans 2011. In fact, I think the stage today was very much like the Galibier stage back in '11, except that Froome lost nothing on the last climb and Andy lost over a minute
Andy stage was quite different. When Froome attacked there was 5 people remaining, so it was a previous big work for his team. With Andy was a group of about 30, it was more a break than an attack, Evans didnt work till the end, Domoulin was working. And Andy had headwind in the walley. and after Izoard the group was a good peloton of about 50.
 
Aug 12, 2012
3,991
0
0
When you attack and drops everybody becouse you are the stronger and put time in a big clib, the usual is than in the rest yu can put even more to everybody, For me it was everything expected except the time Froome got in the descent. I though it was posible to get the pink in a big day in la Finestre, but everybody needs to fail..so difficult. I though more likely with the last 2 days. But with that minute in the descent it was possible.
 
Re: Re:

Taxus4a said:
Cance > TheRest said:
DFA123 said:
Netserk said:
While I didn't like him one bit the first couple of years after his transformation, I now often have wildly varying feelings towards him, but today was quite clear. What a ride. What a champion. This was so, so impressive. A miraculous comeback, and a mighty determination. It is the hope of witnessing such displays that is a large part of why I watch cycling.

Probably the strongest will in today's cycling.
This. I haven't been a fan of him either, but this kind of show is surely why everyone watches cycling. At least for those who are a fan of the sport itself primarily, rather than of individual personalities.

All the snide clinic references and comments that this is bad for cycling are way misplaced imo. This is exactly the kind of action and drama that cycling needs. Dumoulin trudging his way along to a 3 minute win, despite never animating the race would have been bad for the sport and almost instantly forgotten. Like Wiggins 2012. This performance by Froome has elevated the whole Giro to legendary status.
I think a much better example would be Evans 2011. In fact, I think the stage today was very much like the Galibier stage back in '11, except that Froome lost nothing on the last climb and Andy lost over a minute
Andy stage was quite different. When Froome attacked there was 5 people remaining, so it was a previous big work for his team. With Andy was a group of about 30, it was more a break than an attack, Evans didnt work till the end, Domoulin was working. And Andy had headwind in the walley. and after Izoard the group was a good peloton of about 50.
I think you underestimate Andy's attack. He still did most of the work even though he joined with team mates up the road for a while. O'Grady said it was a planned attack, like Froome's. The group with Evans may have been quite big but no one was working much which was why he was getting frustrated. Evans basically time trialed the Galibier to cut the gap and as it turned out it was a smart move especially with what also happened on the next stage. Schleck looked cooked before the TT and Evans finally delivered.
 
for so many years, people convinced themselves that it was froome's real level which he had to stick to throughout the whole career. curious thing is how many kg heavier he was back then, I'd guess 5-6, at the very least.
 
Re:

dacooley said:
for so many years, people convinced themselves that it was froome's real level which he had to stick to throughout the whole career. curious thing is how many kg heavier he was back then, I'd guess 5-6, at the very least.
Good call, even the experts came to this conclusion:

 
Jun 26, 2017
228
0
0
Re: Re:

Pricey_sky said:
lartiste said:
bigcog said:
lartiste said:
The owner of the twitter account has some serious issues ...
People with no argument to the video will comment on twitter account owner. But he is not important, try to focus on your guy ;) .
Good effort for an inexperienced rider, Unlucky to come up against Simon Gerrans in top form. :p
Yup, excellent effort for a Kenyan rider. Fortunately the mighty Team Sky saw his enormous potential and taught him a couple of things to be competitive against his more experienced rivals.
 
Mar 14, 2015
2,317
0
0
Re: Re:

Bronstein said:
dacooley said:
for so many years, people convinced themselves that it was froome's real level which he had to stick to throughout the whole career. curious thing is how many kg heavier he was back then, I'd guess 5-6, at the very least.
Good call, even the experts came to this conclusion:

A graph which doesn't prove anything rehashed every time Froome wins a race.Good job :rolleyes:
You should put the link to the article so people can read it if they want.Btw,that graph was made by the journo who even put a disclaimer about it.
http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/inside-the-mind-of-dave-brailsford-2615
 
Don't shoot the messenger, just sharing Sir David's opinion of Froome's actual ability (instead of recent historical revisionism).

By the way, it seems strange that Froome isn't mentioned at all by Brailsford in the article. One of the greatest talents of all time, yet it's as though he doesn't exist.
 
Mar 14, 2015
2,317
0
0
Re:

Bronstein said:
Don't shoot the messenger, just sharing Sir David's opinion of Froome's actual ability (instead of recent historical revisionism).

By the way, it seems strange that Froome isn't mentioned at all by Brailsford in the article. One of the greatest talents of all time, yet it's as though he doesn't exist.
Since is not Brailsford graph you don't share anything,you just trolling.
Not mentioning Froome doesn't say anything about his ability,but you already know that.
 
Re: Re:

DBotero said:
Bronstein said:
Don't shoot the messenger, just sharing Sir David's opinion of Froome's actual ability (instead of recent historical revisionism).

By the way, it seems strange that Froome isn't mentioned at all by Brailsford in the article. One of the greatest talents of all time, yet it's as though he doesn't exist.
Since is not Brailsford graph you don't share anything,you just trolling.
Not mentioning Froome doesn't say anything about his ability,but you already know that.
"This graph is our approximation of Brailsford's rider analysis".

His ability? 'Borderline', 'Pro Conti Podium':

5. Riders in this area are borderline for us. As you get older, the potential for improvement disappears and so it’s much more a judgement call. A rider might bring something to the team in terms of his personality that makes him a good guy to have around.
Fair way off multiple Grand Tour winner.
 
Jun 26, 2017
228
0
0
At the time it looked like Froome is not going to fulfill his potential. Obviously Brailsford was wrong. And now we can see that the chart didn't predict other riders' career development too well either.
 
Froome had so much potential that he wasn't even part of the initial selection for the 2011 Vuelta. Not to mention Brailsford didn't want to keep him at Sky after just two seasons:



 
May 18, 2016
569
0
0
Froome's bilkarzia (aka chronic schistosomiasis)
Effects:
1: digestive system can cause anaemia, abdominal pain and swelling, diarrhoea and blood in your poo
2: urinary system can cause irritation of the bladder (cystitis), pain when peeing, a frequent need to pee, and blood in your urine
3: heart and lungs can cause a persistent cough, wheezing, shortness of breath and coughing up blood
4: nervous system or brain can cause seizures (fits), headaches, weakness and numbness in your legs, and dizziness
(https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/schistosomiasis/)
 
Well, of course, I agree with Bronstein that Sir Dave is a genius
(and not only in the realms of the cycling world) but even a man
as intelligent as Mr. Brailsford makes mistakes. By looking at the
chart we can see his biggest mistake was probably not the under
valuing of Froomey's potential but the over valuing of Lofkvist's. :surprised:
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts