• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 600 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
If they weren't going to take him to the Tour then surely it would make sense for everyone concerned (both teams and the rider) for the transfer to take place on 1st August rather than waiting till next season
How does that make sense for Ineos? That would just add 1 more opponent for them in an already stacked peloton.
Well it means they would no longer be paying him one of the top salaries in cycling to do nothing. You could argue that they can afford to pay him to not ride for another team but if he's a genuine contender wouldn't it just make more sense to pay him to ride for Ineos ?

That would be very harsh, and not good publicity.

In hindsight, his issues can be traced back to the prologue of the 2018 Giro. Crashing heavily like he did forced him to go very deep to salvage the race. It provided an amazing spectacle but possibly cost him the Giro-Tour double. The crash in the 2018 Tour didn’t help either.

If the Finestre stage turns out to be his last big victory, what a way to go out.

Finally, it takes guts to leave Ineos. It’s a very brave move, albeit sweetened by a nice contract.

That would be very harsh, and not good publicity.

In hindsight, his issues can be traced back to the prologue of the 2018 Giro. Crashing heavily like he did forced him to go very deep to salvage the race. It provided an amazing spectacle but possibly cost him the Giro-Tour double. The crash in the 2018 Tour didn’t help either.

If the Finestre stage turns out to be his last big victory, what a way to go out.

Finally, it takes guts to leave Ineos. It’s a very brave move, albeit sweetened by a nice contract.

I wouldn't put it past Ineos but it's good they confirmed him.

Though you can't take the crashes in 2018 out and plug in he was going to win both or even one. Then his major issue was the injury last year.

It will be interesting to see if Froome will be able to win a GT race with a new team. He certainly has a few more years of time left. Winning the Tour with his new team will likely be hard thing to achieve.

As for TDF 2020, i guess Ineos has publicly hinted Froome will not be the captain No.1. Froome will hence likely have limited chances to win TDF 2020. As the race is long and just about anything can happen, this is i guess what captain No.2 and No.3 are prepared to sign for. Though not sure if Froome will be prepared to help all that much. If he won't have a chance to go for the overall win, likely he will have other goals set in the race.

We'll see.

Finally, I, Froome supporter since early on (well, early like Vuelta 2011, not before obviously) can join the rest of the forum fully hating on Ineos too. :D
394.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Suppose he has a good enough excuse if he never wins another race. I thought he would have used the pre tour races and Tour as a getting up to scratch in preparation for an all out assault on the Vuelta, leaving INEOS on a high and going all out for the Tour with Isreal. I think things may get very ugly at the Tour and INEOS doing a Movistar and demolishing themselves. Gonna be fun to watch.

I think Froome himself knows that he's still not there to fight for the Tour win after his injury, but he believes that he'll be able to do that next year.
I see him as a guy who always wants to prove a point, signing a contract before proving that he's still a top gc rider seems a bit out of character (maybe he and his wife also just took a pragmatic decision).

I think Froome himself knows that he's still not there to fight for the Tour win after his injury, but he believes that he'll be able to do that next year.
I see him as a guy who always wants to prove a point, signing a contract before proving that he's still a top gc rider seems a bit out of character (maybe he and his wife also just took a pragmatic decision).

First off all, it's still seven weeks until the Tour. Froome isn't going going to write himself off until he's 20 minutes down on stage 19.

Ineos have been succession planning for three years now. It's inevitable that his role would be diminished gradually over the years. What was his career exit plan at Ineos? It's not as good as the one ISUN are offering, that's for sure. A new challenge centred around him is better than fighting an ever gradually losing battle with his own team. Plus $$$$.

He went down the ramp and crashed into the commissare who was there to show him where to go. You can find this on YouTube,

He was 21 at the time. He still beat two other 21 year olds who would go on to win Grand Tour TTs - Velits and Bodnar

Wow how have I never seen that? He hops up pretty quick though gotta say. Compare his development (professional training, resources) to a Dumoulin at the same age and it's a world of difference

Wow how have I never seen that? He hops up pretty quick though gotta say. Compare his development (professional training, resources) to a Dumoulin at the same age and it's a world of difference

You should read his book. That he made it out of Africa and became a pro is nothing short of a miracle.

To get to Salzburg (the city the worlds we speak of were located in), he abused the login details of the incompetent head of the Kenyan National Cycling Federation to enroll himself to the start list of the championships, and then he went to Europe all alone and entered the meeting of the national coaches soaking wet (because he had had to ride there in the rain, and was his nation's team leader given he was there alone) with his bike, after which the South African national delegation took pity on him and let him have a bed at their hotel for the remainder of the stay.

TRENDING THREADS