• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 814 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 32 31.7%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 58 57.4%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 23 22.8%

• Total voters
Thomas added Froome is old school. He is not at the new way of nutrition, he just train and train a lot... If that is the case he is not going to get very good results, and his 3rd place at Alp D Huez has big mérits. Hope someone can change his habbits and start to addap to this new era. When Sky started his new methods they were the best, but later everybody use that (It depends their budgets). But now everybody of his generation say they are going faster than ever with worse resuts. So if he reached the level he had 10 or 5 years ago, today he could just be a top ten at le Tour...he has to readapt as Thomas did, and he could figh for podium maybe as Thomas will do ( even drinking beer at winter). Hope someone Who read this try to change Froome mind abd habits, althoug I think need time to get resuts after to start the new era nutrition. The body need to addat...Thomas started some years ago and he was still on time. Anyway I hope some good results for Froome next year, even if he wont make any change at nutrition.
Setting aside the fantasy that Froome will ever improve again and be anywhere close to competing (he won’t), the numbers just do not support this. Do you really think 2013 Froome would be fighting for top 10? Come on. 2013 Froome smashed Contador who smashed Lance who smashed Pantani who smashed Indurain! Ergo

Setting aside the fantasy that Froome will ever improve again and be anywhere close to competing (he won’t), the numbers just do not support this. Do you really think 2013 Froome would be fighting for top 10? Come on. 2013 Froome smashed Contador who smashed Lance who smashed Pantani who smashed Indurain! Ergo
I'd say would fight for podium, at best
He was struggling in the last week even in his prime, Vingegaard would destroy him.

How many still think he will win
a) TDF b) non-TDF GT c) WT 1 Week race d) TDF Stage e) non-TDF GT Stage f) WT 1-week stage g) Any obscure stage h) none of the options
I am going with h. a his team will not allow. b,e he will not participate. c,f,g he will be so unfit that he wont feature in the top 10 and it will be a training race to peak for the TDF.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
a) TDF b) non-TDF GT c) WT 1 Week race d) TDF Stage e) non-TDF GT Stage f) WT 1-week stage g) Any obscure stage h) none of the options
I am going with h. a his team will not allow. b,e he will not participate. c,f,g he will be so unfit that he wont feature in the top 10 and it will be a training race to peak for the TDF.

What about 1-day races? Mercan'Tour Classic maybe

I'm going with H) also. I just think he is not motivated to do anything but collect a paycheck. Now if he actually was motivated then g) might be a possibility but not even probable. No, still h).

I think the climbing times give a good indicator of how Froome at his best would do today.
Best climbing Froome can do, is climb into a car, start working with young rider development, promote his Africa efforts, stay connected to cycling, people still like him and step away from the fantasy of finding form to be a factor in any race...Froome starting to remind me of Madonna and not knowing when to leave the party.

Best climbing Froome can do, is climb into a car, start working with young rider development, promote his Africa efforts, stay connected to cycling, people still like him and step away from the fantasy of finding form to be a factor in any race...Froome starting to remind me of Madonna and not knowing when to leave the party.
At this point Madonna can outclimb Froome.

At this point Madonna can outclimb Froome.

Peak Madonna >> current Froome

Madonna-vogue-credit-Getty-Images-7.jpg

Mr Chris Froome will be returning to home soil at February's Tour du Rwanda.
Remember he was there earlier this year and embarked on an epic solo breakaway?
That attack was ultimately ruined by a puncture after approximately 75km and then a crash in worsening wet weather.
Surely he will attempt something similar again.
This time no punctures/mechanicals, good weather, no crashes and above all his new and improved bike position delivering greater efficiency and power will enhance his chances of a first victory since 2018's epic Stage 19 of the Giro.
Who agrees?

Mr Chris Froome will be returning to home soil at February's Tour du Rwanda.
Remember he was there earlier this year and embarked on an epic solo breakaway?
That attack was ultimately ruined by a puncture after approximately 75km and then a crash in worsening wet weather.
Surely he will attempt something similar again.
This time no punctures/mechanicals, good weather, no crashes and above all his new and improved bike position delivering greater efficiency and power will enhance his chances of a first victory since 2018's epic Stage 19 of the Giro.
Who agrees?
This year Tour of Rwanda edition has no a long stages like that, in general short stages. Not very hard stages...and 2 TT. It usually rain. Not the best race for him, but he he IS at a good shape he should be with the best there. It is just a race to start the season, but he should start better than other years, to show things to his team

I'm not sure what's more make-believe: Santa or Taxus' assessment on Froome's level?

But Froome will do better than last year.....surely?
I dont know. I just said he should, if he want be ok with the team. Maybe is becouse my english, maybe the expresión is: he must be.... But I didnt make any assestment about his shape and I dont know how he will be in one month. I just know the route this year is worse for him. Last year he was quite unlucky with the fix of that puncture, and when he attacked at the begining of the last stage by taking too fast a corner (not really unlike. It was his fault, but in a bad moment) hope this year a better luck and a better shape. Not the best route for him but in altitude, lot of climbs and now he has experience

Last edited:
I dont know. I just said he should, if he want be ok with the team. Maybe is becouse my english, maybe the expresión is: he must be.... But I didnt make any assestment about his shape and I dont know how he will be in one month. I just know the route this year is worse for him. Last year he was quite unlucky with the fix of that puncture, and when he attacked at the begining of the last stage by taking too fast a corner (not really unlike. It was his fault, but in a bad moment) hope this year a better luck and a better shape. Not the best route for him but in altitude, lot of climbs and now he has experience
What you mean, then, is "he should be."

What route is he worried about being worse for him than it was last year? The Tour of Rwanda?

• Wow