• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 97 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Netserk said:

‘Certainly not,’ he says. ‘And not Brad if that is what you’re implying. That’s not the case. The biggest misconception is this idea that it was Froome versus Wiggins in 2012. It always makes me cringe because in my mind you can never have two team-mates who are racing against each other like that. It doesn’t happen in reality.’

Guess he missed 1986 and 2009 :eek:

elfed68 said:
The timing of this book is terrible, hardly going to gel the team together for the Tour.
And publicly criticising Dave Brailsford, who's in charge of Team Sky?

Surely books of this type should be published in retirement?

I agree with you on this but I think you miss the point a little it is all about money and more money. Whip up interest in the Sunday Times and with the Tour not that far off mega book sales. The team and team spirit really don't come into it. Froome may well feel confident enough that the team members are on his side, that Wiggins won't be in it so he doesn't need to worry in any case.
I don't think that I would like to be the member of any team which included either Froome or Wiggins - they both seem like spoilt brats to me.

What a little whiner. And also this:

Froome disclosed that he got support from another Sky rider who felt marginalised on that year’s race, then world champion Mark Cavendish whose ambitions of defending the green points jersey he had won the previous year took second place to supporting Wiggins.

He said: “One day on the bus Cav slipped me a note: ‘No great man ever complains of want of opportunity.’

“I felt Cav was saying: ‘Don’t get to the end and say you didn’t have the opportunity.’”

He's exactly doing that. Complaining for lack of opportunity. Not a great man then.

mariposa said:
I agree with you on this but I think you miss the point a little it is all about money and more money. Whip up interest in the Sunday Times and with the Tour not that far off mega book sales. The team and team spirit really don't come into it. Froome may well feel confident enough that the team members are on his side, that Wiggins won't be in it so he doesn't need to worry in any case.
I don't think that I would like to be the member of any team which included either Froome or Wiggins - they both seem like spoilt brats to me.

Wiggins is putting a lot of effort into his public persona with his charm offensive managed by his new PR agency.
Froome's not, and desperately needs something to make him more appealing.

Froome should realise he's not doing himself any favour with these interviews, it's always about him winning being a sign of a clean era or whining about what happened between him and Wiggins. If he's not doing that, he's often whining about something else

Can't work out why he would put this in his book and release it now. Ok do it when you're retired but now... Unless he wants make sure Wiggins isn't there this summer or it's just a touch of the "Kevin Pietersens". I doubt Brailsford will be happy either, wonder if this book release was ok'd by Sky ? Looks very counterproductive to me ...

Butterhead

BANNED
Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
US postal all over again, AC and him the Texan guy, deja vu.

Go go go UK postal, mr. johan bruyneel....ehh sorry, Dave Brailsford will make sure everyone is happy...

You're (all here) forgetting that Chris Froome is a professional in a border-line area of the entertainment industry.
Profit in the business there depends from the attention one can gather.
There's no better moment to turn public attention than present.

And the literature isn't science or law. Everything that someone writes and publishes doesn't have to be completely true or based on the authenticated facts. It's just a reflection of one's inner world.

sir fly said:
You're (all here) forgetting that Chris Froome is a professional in a border-line area of the entertainment industry.
Profit in the business there depends from the attention one can gather.
There's no better moment to turn public attention than present.

And the literature isn't science or law. Everything that someone writes and publishes doesn't have to be completely true or based on the authenticated facts. It's just a reflection of one's inner world.
I agree, my learned friend, a good story needs conflict
and resolution. I would not be surprised at all if there
are two scripts in the works at 21st CENTURY FOX:
one with Froomey as the main protaganist triumphing
over rivals, team-mates and twitter to win his second
Tour, and; another with Wiggo as the main protaganist
triumphing over his demons and his past to help Chris
win his second consecutive Tour de France enroute
to Brad's successful swan-song at the Rio Olympics.

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
so he lied when he said, back then, that his ear piece wasn't working. and he also lied when he said "no there isn't anything between me and Brad, it's you, the media, who are making things up"

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
apparently Bradley Wigggins was using special light weight wheels available to noone else on the team but him. just like Lance Armstrong the year he rode "alongside" Contador at Astana.
i wish Contador could write a book about that year, too

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Wiggins should be grateful, because Froome is making him look better. I mean, Wiggins still looks like an insecure prima-donna, but he was clearly right to be paranoid.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
roundabout said:
One is a chump who could not allow a better rider to get even 50 meters on him when he was 5 minutes away from winning the Tour.

ohh god,you are another man who claim Froome wouldnt have won that Tour if given freedom,arent you?;)
I dont want to get into details as tour 2012 is the most ridiculous Tour for decades and I dont really care but if given a freedom imo he would have gain at almost minute and half on Tousuirre and another half a minute on one of the last mountain stages (i dont remember which was it).And the last minute he would have gained in TT's cause of massive confidence and Wiggin's mental destruction lol

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
This whole affair is a joke. I prefer the the so called cheats. They seem to have more class and just get on with there racing.

Wiggins thinks he's a ****ing pop star and Froom'e is like the cartoon character Tintin.

roundabout said:
One is a chump who could not allow a better rider to get even 50 meters on him when he was 5 minutes away from winning the Tour.

That's brilliant. I mean, he knew he had one shot at Tour victory, a once in a lifetime opportunity in terms of parcours, opposition and all. The only thing that stood between him and winning was Froome and Wiggins eliminated him perfectly to win the race even though Froome should've won. Wiggins would've been able to do nothing if Froome rode away but the latter was too scared to do it and is still whining about it.

I don't particularly like Wiggins but I have to commend him on his ability to make the most of the situation.

arvc40 said:
This whole affair is a joke. I prefer the the so called cheats. They seem to have more class and just get on with there racing.

Wiggins thinks he's a ****ing pop star and Froom'e is like the cartoon character Tintin.

m1dz7odacnr6.jpg

TRENDING THREADS