• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 261 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Taxus ,,,,Sky brought teammates back and got Froome back in to the peloton ,,,did you see that?

Once a rider can only go at his own pace [ that's what Froome said after the stage] then there is no point wasting riders.
Froome was Physically not capable to go any faster today.

Do you realise that these are humans on a bike doing a hard physical exertion. They are not chess pieces on a board.
How will Froome win this tour...9 mins in TT? drop Aru for minutes every stage? He has no chance..

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

PremierAndrew said:
I'm glad to see the crash didn't ruin his double, as I don't think he would have been able to hang on to Aru. That said, I do think he would have been able to finish close to Purito, and solidify a podium spot. But can't complain - crash seemed to be his own fault

So even though in the last week of the tour Froome struggled and could not contain Quintana,yet today on a huge mountain stage he would have dropped him and the other tour riders, Something he could only do on a short mountain stage of the tour, once.
Purito used the tour to train for the Vuelta , That's why he was fresher today.
Froome would have feared no better than the other GC tour contenders maybe worse with the amount of climbing.

Re: Re:

ray j willings said:
PremierAndrew said:
I'm glad to see the crash didn't ruin his double, as I don't think he would have been able to hang on to Aru. That said, I do think he would have been able to finish close to Purito, and solidify a podium spot. But can't complain - crash seemed to be his own fault

So even though in the last week of the tour Froome struggled and could not contain Quintana,yet today on a huge mountain stage he would have dropped him and the other tour riders, Something he could only do on a short mountain stage of the tour, once.
Froome would have feared no better than the other GC tour contenders maybe worse with the amount of climbing.

He lost about 35 seconds on the Dumoulin group today on the final climb. Yeah, he raced at a lower intensity beforehand seeing as he was dropped by 5 and a half minutes heading into the climb, but considering the guy wasn't able to walk in a straight line when he got off the saddle, the crash clearly affected him a fair bit. Of course, we'll never know now, seeing as Froome will either rest up and target a stage win, or dom for Nieve

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
ray j willings said:
PremierAndrew said:

He lost about 35 seconds on the Dumoulin group today. Yeah, he raced at a lower intensity beforehand seeing as he was dropped by 5 and a half minutes heading into the climb, but considering the guy wasn't able to walk in a straight line when he got off the saddle, the crash clearly affected him a fair bit. Of course, we'll never know now, seeing as Froome will either rest up and target a stage win, or dom for Nieve

No denying the crash affected him but you have to take into account all the work done by Quintana and co up until the last climb. It was tough and none of the GC tour riders looked anywhere near string enough to get near Purito never mind Aru.
I do hope he can carry on though and recover. It would be interesting to see if he can blow a race apart lIke Ryder or Bertie. He has nothing to lose.

Re:

ray j willings said:
Taxus ,,,,Sky brought teammates back and got Froome back in to the peloton ,,,did you see that?

Once a rider can only go at his own pace [ that's what Froome said after the stage] then there is no point wasting riders.
At the begining, yes, he crashed, of course the team help him to come back, other way it would be totally crazy.
i mean later, people are in the race to help his leader, not to leave him.

He showed later he was string, and tehre was 2 flat sections to recover time and he did, and with more people, better.

I remember how Pantani recover his 8 minutes and won le Tour. But he must do as Pantani, recover time day by day and take advantage now he is quite far. But his team must help him, he cant do it alone.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

Taxus4a said:
ray j willings said:

At the begining, yes, he crashed, of course the team help him to come back, other way it would be totally crazy.

He showed later he was string, and tehre was 2 flat sections to recover time and he did, and with more people, better.

I remember how Pantani recover his 8 minutes and won le Tour. But he must do as Pantani, recover time day by day and take advantage now he is quite far. But his team must help him, he cant do it alone.

Froome said he could only ride at his own pace.
Do you understand?
He did not need help.

ray j willings said:
Taxus4a said:
ray j willings said:

Do you understand?
He did not need help.

You are kidding me??

y own pace is 25 Km /h alone, but my own pace wasting the same i 35 Km /h behind a tractor. He said he just could follow his own pace agter the crash, and his team was working...

I think Froome didnt want more riders, but the team , he is very polite, but the team is for that.

ray j willings said:
Taxus4a said:
ray j willings said:

Do you understand?
He did not need help.

Part of having riders there to support is to prevent an already bad situation from becoming worse should the leader (Froome) have a mechanical/flat. A bike is there to hopefully remedy the issue.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Taxus4a said:
ray j willings said:
Taxus4a said:
I follow all the moment his times and I still think he is the stronger of the race and he can win this race.

Today he has a bad moment in la Gallina, as I aid, he is not a climber and today is a day for climbers, and he is not so supertrong as now is Domoulin and he was in le Tour: Not good stage for him, too short and hard, rain, and the crash.. all together was bad, but he recovered well and didnt lose too much.

Whay I cant undertand is why his team didnt help him too much, just Thomas at the begining.

He showed all his determination today.

I have no words .

Ok Did you see Froome being brought back to the peloton by at least 2 team mates? I did

So Froome can't climb? Its to short ? It's to hard? It's raining?
So for Froome to win a GT he needs a long flat dry race that's not to hard?

Taxus you blow my mind with your Froome man crush.

it is not a question of what he need. People get surprised that in la Pierre he copuld frop and put lot of time to lot os riders, even top quintana, the best climber of the world. But he is not a climber, he did that becoue he was the stronger of the race and that stage was just one climb, and was after a long and hard week in the flat.

Today wanst the best stage for him, but he should have been similar to Domoulin. he was afected by the crash.

And yes, he has an strong team, and he was alone with Thomas for lot of Km, and alone at the end, that is a fact. If he dont feel very good for a crash, why to waste Knees so much on the front? it is ok tu put the pace, but keep riders to help Froome if necesary.

The fact is that he was sometimes keeping with the group of Domoulin, Valverde, Chaves... the difference for lot of Km...Froome was one of the faster climbing the 2nd categy climb.

Yep, Froome is the man, definitely the strongest rider of the race, everybody saw that today :D

Mr.White said:
Taxus4a said:
ray j willings said:
Taxus4a said:
I follow all the moment his times and I still think he is the stronger of the race and he can win this race.

Today he has a bad moment in la Gallina, as I aid, he is not a climber and today is a day for climbers, and he is not so supertrong as now is Domoulin and he was in le Tour: Not good stage for him, too short and hard, rain, and the crash.. all together was bad, but he recovered well and didnt lose too much.

Whay I cant undertand is why his team didnt help him too much, just Thomas at the begining.

He showed all his determination today.

I have no words .

Ok Did you see Froome being brought back to the peloton by at least 2 team mates? I did

So Froome can't climb? Its to short ? It's to hard? It's raining?
So for Froome to win a GT he needs a long flat dry race that's not to hard?

Taxus you blow my mind with your Froome man crush.

it is not a question of what he need. People get surprised that in la Pierre he copuld frop and put lot of time to lot os riders, even top quintana, the best climber of the world. But he is not a climber, he did that becoue he was the stronger of the race and that stage was just one climb, and was after a long and hard week in the flat.

Today wanst the best stage for him, but he should have been similar to Domoulin. he was afected by the crash.

And yes, he has an strong team, and he was alone with Thomas for lot of Km, and alone at the end, that is a fact. If he dont feel very good for a crash, why to waste Knees so much on the front? it is ok tu put the pace, but keep riders to help Froome if necesary.

The fact is that he was sometimes keeping with the group of Domoulin, Valverde, Chaves... the difference for lot of Km...Froome was one of the faster climbing the 2nd categy climb.

Yep, Froome is the man, definitely the strongest rider of the race, everybody saw that today :D

Today is one day, Vuelta is 21 days. Landa is not the strongest of the race, he was just the best today.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

Taxus4a said:
ray j willings said:
Taxus4a said:
ray j willings said:

Do you understand?
He did not need help.

You are kidding me??

y own pace is 25 Km /h alone, but my own pace wasting the same i 35 Km /h behind a tractor. He said he just could follow his own pace agter the crash, and his team was working...

I think Froome didnt want more riders, but the team , he is very polite, but the team is for that.

I don't think you understand. Froome could only go at one pace, having a rider in front of him would have made no difference. He could not have gone any quicker.
There was no point in wasting riders trying to speed him up he would have just kept getting dropped.
He had plenty of wheels to chase down if he wanted to ....He couldn't.
Who needed a bike or wheel first Froome or Boswell?

ray j willings said:
Taxus4a said:
ray j willings said:
Taxus4a said:
ray j willings said:

Do you understand?
He did not need help.

You are kidding me??

I don't think you understand. Froome could only go at one pace, having a rider in front of him would have made no difference. He could not have gone any quicker.
There was no point in wasting riders trying to speed him up he would have just kept getting dropped.
He had plenty of wheels to chase down if he wanted to ....He couldn't.
Who needed a bike or wheel first Froome or Boswell?

That is imposible, always you have a draf.. I dont mean really in the climbs, but there was a flat section before and after the econd cetegorized climb, and alway,l always, a man sucking wheel go faster, of couese at his own pace, but the rest riders must adapt to his pace, he can give just one power output, but that power is not the same speed with people puting the wind put of you, and always, even at 10 km/h, that helps.

Othe way is that you mean froome considered it was useless, but never is...of cpoue a wheel is more advantahe at 60 Km/h, tahn to 10, but froome was sometime quite fast after his crack, and not only in the descents.

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
Tonton said:
My guess is Froome will do what LRP did at the Giro: exit.

I'm not a fan of his, but I'm never happy when a rider gets hurt. His Vuelta is over. He's not going to pull a Les-Deux-Alpes Pantani, or a '71 Merckx: that's nonsense.

WTF is LRP?? Never heard of them??

Re:

LanLions said:
Shame there isn't a stage coming up that would allow Froome to go crazy (like Contador '11 stage 19) .. Though I doubt he would under Sky.

Well, if he wasn't injured, and Sky didn't have someone within 2 mins of GC, I don't see why he wouldn't give it a go. Then again, I don't see Froome losing enough time to need to resort to something like that unless he is injured or until he's reached an age where he's no longer competitive

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
Tonton said:
giuying said:
Tonton said:

I'm not a fan of his, but I'm never happy when a rider gets hurt. His Vuelta is over. He's not going to pull a Les-Deux-Alpes Pantani, or a '71 Merckx: that's nonsense.

New here, huh ;) . Little Ritchie Porte = LRP. Cheers :D .

What does that exactly refer to? His height?? There a plenty of other members of the Peleton who aren't the tallest? So everyone who is not tall gets a "Little" in front of their name? Again exactly what is the "Little" referring to? Anxiously waiting your intelligent, well thought out reply.....

Porte is a great rider, he has done some amazing rides so unsure why the rudeness?

giuying said:
Tonton said:
giuying said:
Tonton said:

What does that exactly refer to? His height?? There a plenty of other members of the Peleton who aren't the tallest? So everyone who is not tall gets a "Little" in front of their name? Again exactly what is the "Little" referring to? Anxiously waiting your intelligent, well thought out reply.....

Porte is a great rider, he has done some amazing rides so unsure why the rudeness?
Nothing rude on my part. Read your post: that's rude. So my "intelligent" reply to you is to go read his thread, the last Giro thread, and stop the attitude buddy :mad: ...

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like Froome's Vuelta is over:

Chris Froome ‏@chrisfroome
Knocked sideways into a barrier & stone wall today. Further scans in the morning but start unlikely as I can’t walk without crutches #LV2015

Wonder who was alongside him?

Re:

dottigirl said:
Sounds like Froome's Vuelta is over:

Chris Froome ‏@chrisfroome
Knocked sideways into a barrier & stone wall today. Further scans in the morning but start unlikely as I can’t walk without crutches #LV2015

Wonder who was alongside him?

That's a shame for him, but honestly, it's no surprise given the way he was walking. It'd only do himself more damage and to no purpose.

Tonton said:
Well, he obviously is new (having joined the forum in July). But outside of the Clinic, the use of LRP is hardly so ubiquitous that knowledge of it should be assumed. I searched the PRR forum and found only 80 hits, about half of them from TDF stage threads last July--only 21 hits from Porte's PRR thread (which has more than 1500 posts).