• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 278 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

MatParker1711 said:
StryderHells said:
MatParker1711 said:
LaFlorecita said:
If Froome right now is close to legendary status then Cancellara, Cavendish, Boonen, Nibali, Valverde, Contador, Gilbert heck even Evans and maybe mythical Denis Menchov should all be considered legends out of the current generation of riders... that's stretching it a bit, don't you think?

Not really they've all done unique things in this sport and in some cases are there nations greatest ever cyclist. I include Chris Froome in that who has a better record in the sports biggest event than all of those names.

Contador rates higher than Froome when it comes to the Tour, we will have to wait and see as it could all change next season. When it comes to the greatest regarding nations then I'd rate Wiggins and Cavendish higher than Froome at this stage

Not according to the record books he doesn't:

Contador:
2 wins
1 White Jersey
3 stages

Froome:
2 wins
Polka Dots
5 stages
Looking at it like that I'll concede Froome has a better record at the Tour, I think Contador sticks in the memory because of his racing style and clinic or not the VAM record on Verbier was the single greatest climbing performance of modern times and I'm no Contador fan

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site

StryderHells said:
I could list more but we don't have that kind of time ;)

The list certainly could go on for some time, but that's only part of the equation.

LeMond coming into the sport when he did, the incredibly dramatic nature of some of his wins (TdF, WC in particular), and his coming back from near-death to win again, all add up to him appropriately being considered a Legend.

Also, because his talent was recognized so early on, he had the additional pressure of delivering on the promise and expectations. And he did. :)

StryderHells said:
Looking at it like that I'll concede Froome has a better record at the Tour, I think Contador sticks in the memory because of his racing style and clinic or not the VAM record on Verbier was the single greatest climbing performance of modern times and I'm no Contador fan
The reason is probably because you remember Contador winning 3 TDFs and finishing 4th and twice 5th as well.

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
jsem94 said:
Really, Menchov? LOOOOOOOOOOL
Of course Menchov isn't a legend. I used him to show how ridiculous it is to consider Froome "close to legendary status".

In my opinion, Tommeke (4 PR, 3 RVV, Worlds, thousands of other wins) and Fabian (3 PR, 3 RVV, 4 Worlds ITT, 1 MSR, thousands of other wins) are the only ones who could be considered legends in the future as it stands know. Others, not a chance. As you know Berto is special for me, but I have to be realistic and because of his "bland" personality, stripped victories and lack of wins in several big races (classics but also Dauphiné/Suisse) he will never be a legend.

Let's look at it this way: how many "legends" are there, really? 15 at most? 2, maybe 3 from each generation? Taking this into account, would it be logical if at least a dozen cyclists of this decade were to be considered legends in the future?

You're being too modest. If Boonen and Cancellara are legends, than Contador certainly is too. In fact he's the greatest rider of his generation, and I would dare to say, greatest rider of the 21st Century!

In order to be considered a legend of cycling, a rider must be an era-defining one in his discipline. And even that is not always enough.

When talking about GC-riders, we are still very much in the Contador era. Froome is already 30 and unless he goes full-Horner, he won't have enough time left to establish his own era. Younger generation is already catching up with him, as evidenced this year. That, together with controversy surrounding his breakthrough, are the reasons why I don't believe it's likely Froome will be considered a legend like Indurain or Lemond in the future.

Of current riders, for me, only Contador, Cancellara and Boonen have done enough in their careers, to be considered legends of cycling in the future.

LaFlorecita said:
StryderHells said:
The reason is probably because you remember Contador winning 3 TDFs and finishing 4th and twice 5th as well.

Nah i'm happy to expunge his stripped results from my memory and see him as a more memorable Tour rider :D

Põhja Konn said:
In order to be considered a legend of cycling, a rider must be an era-defining one in his discipline. And even that is not always enough.

When talking about GC-riders, we are still very much in the Contador era. Froome is already 30 and unless he goes full-Horner, he won't have enough time left to establish his own era. Younger generation is already catching up with him, as evidenced this year. That, together with controversy surrounding his breakthrough, are the reasons why I don't believe it's likely Froome will be considered a legend like Indurain or Lemond in the future.

Of current riders, for me, only Contador, Cancellara and Boonen have done enough in their careers, to be considered legends of cycling in the future.

A very reasoned post. I'm in full agreement. Although I think Froome could still fight off the up and coming riders and continue his reign of terror in the Tour adding to his legacy. :D

I think the era talk will likely be influenced by the results of the GTs in 2016 and decided when time has given people additional perspective. It would not surprise me if the Contador era will eventually be associated with 2007-2011 TDF (3 TDFs, 6 GTs on the road) and the SKY era will be 2011 Vuelta- 201? (3 TDFs and counting).

Re:

djpbaltimore said:
I think the era talk will likely be influenced by the results of the GTs in 2016 and decided when time has given people additional perspective. It would not surprise me if the Contador era will eventually be associated with 2007-2011 TDF (3 TDFs, 6 GTs on the road) and the SKY era will be 2011 Vuelta- 201? (3 TDFs and counting).

Yes, definitely.
If Vuelta 2011 is a good starting point for Sky era and 2014 Vuelta a good midpoint, then 2016 TDF with Alberto winning and Froome being...let's say 3rd would fit well, right? Then I must also say I like Sky era, because I like Froome when he's losing :)

Jakub said:
djpbaltimore said:

Yes, definitely.
If Vuelta 2011 is a good starting point for Sky era and 2014 Vuelta a good midpoint, then 2016 TDF with Alberto winning and Froome being...let's say 3rd would fit well, right? Then I must also say I like Sky era, because I like Froome when he's losing :)

Don't forget: Those Vuelta's were training rides for Froome so technically they weren't losses. ;)

Angliru said:
Jakub said:
djpbaltimore said:

Yes, definitely.

Don't forget: Those Vuelta's were training rides for Froome so technically they weren't losses. ;)

Ah so, Sky era consists of GTs Froome wins, GTs Froome rides for training and GTs Froome doesn't ride at all.

I expect him to train for Olympics quite heavily next year ;-)

Why would the SKY era only include races that Froome participates in? One noteworthy part of their success is the diverse number of riders that have been on the podium in GTs (Froome 5x, Wiggins 2x, Uran 1x) and in one week stage races.

Nice strawman, Angliru. Or is that meant as a 'joke'?

Re:

djpbaltimore said:
Why would the SKY era only include races that Froome participates in? One noteworthy part of their success is the diverse number of riders that have been on the podium in GTs (Froome 5x, Wiggins 2x, Uran 1x) and in one week stage races.

Nice strawman, Angliru. Or is that meant as a 'joke'?

It's sarcasm. Someone had posted on this thread that Froome treated one of if not all of his Vuelta participations as some form of training prep for the next season.

Re:

staubsauger said:
Froome and Contador ain't been facing each other on equal levels except maybe the Vuelta last year, which still was more of an in race training session for Froome, and Andalucia this year, which still was a preparation race. 2013 ain't no reference to me as Contador's shape ain't been representative for his quality all year long. Something which Flo even disagrees with as she gives that year in favor of Froome.

I also doubt that they gonna face each other on equal terms anytime soon. Unless Contador beats Froome at next years Tour. Because if not, it arguably was his last season, he ain't been the same class as during his prime etc. That would all be legit arguments next year.

I would say that your argument lacks merit based on the context. Other than that, you have to go back to June where Taxus makes a similar argument about 2014. Insinuating that people are making that argument about all his Vuelta participations is a way to wind up the thread, which is a common occurrence from Contador fans these days.

djpbaltimore said:
staubsauger said:
Froome and Contador ain't been facing each other on equal levels except maybe the Vuelta last year, which still was more of an in race training session for Froome, and Andalucia this year, which still was a preparation race. 2013 ain't no reference to me as Contador's shape ain't been representative for his quality all year long. Something which Flo even disagrees with as she gives that year in favor of Froome.

I also doubt that they gonna face each other on equal terms anytime soon. Unless Contador beats Froome at next years Tour. Because if not, it arguably was his last season, he ain't been the same class as during his prime etc. That would all be legit arguments next year.

I would say that your argument lacks merit based on the context. Other than that, you have to go back to June where Taxus makes a similar argument about 2014. Insinuating that people are making that argument about all his Vuelta participations is a way to wind up the thread, which is a common occurrence from Contador fans these days.

Yup, only Contador fans will stoop so low as to "wind up" the thread. Froome fans are just too high brow and evolved to do such reprehensible things. :rolleyes:

I think Froome has a legendary acceleration.
It's hard to see him as a legend, though, because he comes across as so awkward and mild mannered; it's hard to believe this is the same man that turned around to heckle Sir Bradley Wiggins, the world's most dignified bike thrower.

Froome's cadence is legendary. Also his TT position, and his constant stem-gazing. Lol.

What I meant by that Froome is not that far behind, I meant he is about three GT victories behind. Which I guess is kinda far. But not completely unthinkable (but for the sake of cycling let that not be the case).

Re:

jsem94 said:
Froome's cadence is legendary. Also his TT position, and his constant stem-gazing. Lol.

What I meant by that Froome is not that far behind, I meant he is about three GT victories behind. Which I guess is kinda far. But not completely unthinkable (but for the sake of cycling let that not be the case).

I would say: legendary elbows.

Discussing about Froome being a legend or not is in my opinion is bit too early. You need to wait some years and then summarize what and how much do you remember of him. He's very uncertain in terms of clinic and his progression as a GT is basically curiosal. It does however depends how do you value his Giro '09 36th place (a pretty good place IMO, top 40 is not that easy to achieve). It does show that he had some sort of talent. Propably not for GC but as a breakaway guy like Sandy Casar why not.

railxmig said:
Discussing about Froome being a legend or not is in my opinion is bit too early. You need to wait some years and then summarize what and how much do you remember of him. He's very uncertain in terms of clinic and his progression as a GT is basically curiosal. It does however depends how do you value his Giro '09 36th place (a pretty good place IMO, top 40 is not that easy to achieve). It does show that he had some sort of talent. Propably not for GC but as a breakaway guy like Sandy Casar why not.

Can't really rate that 36th (32nd after doping DQ's) at the 09 Giro, he was 1:15:21 down on GC only beating home Gerrans in 39th by 15 minutes and when you have Lars Bak finishing in 16th and Seeldraeyers in 10th then Froomes 36th/32nd really does look unremarkable.

railxmig said:

Sagan was 42nd in 2012 tour, is he new climbing goat?

TRENDING THREADS