• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 488 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 24.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

deValtos said:
jfazendeiro said:
This is a example of unfair play in cycling. C. Froome raced to inflict a moral blow to one rider and not to win and after having the opportunaty to make him loose, he seized it. An ex teammate and said friend of him! Deplorable.

That stage by Froome was literally the definition of racing to win. It probably looks weird since 95% of the peloton forgot how to do that in the last few years.

yep, Froome was the most entertaining rider of 2017

del1962 said:
deValtos said:
jfazendeiro said:
This is a example of unfair play in cycling. C. Froome raced to inflict a moral blow to one rider and not to win and after having the opportunaty to make him loose, he seized it. An ex teammate and said friend of him! Deplorable.

That stage by Froome was literally the definition of racing to win. It probably looks weird since 95% of the peloton forgot how to do that in the last few years.

You could argue that he was entertaining in 2013, but this hear?...

del1962 said:
deValtos said:
jfazendeiro said:

He was more entertaining running up the mountain without his bike. Now that's entertainment!

del1962 said:
deValtos said:
jfazendeiro said:

And I expect he will be the most entertaining rider of 2018 as well.
Really looking forward to see what tweaks Tim Kerrison will make to
Froomey's training to handle whatever tests the Tour route presents
for the serious GC contenders next year. It certainly doesn't hurt Chris
to have a genius like Tim Kerrison working for him behind the scenes. :)

Angliru said:
del1962 said:
deValtos said:
jfazendeiro said:

He was more entertaining running up the mountain without his bike. Now that's entertainment!

Poor Richie Porte to be involved in such entertainment.............I suppose Sky provided lots of Tour entertainment with the different levels of boredom showing on the faces of Moscon, Kwia and Landa in the Tour with a grimacing Froome in their wake. Contador's testimonial in the Vuelta was pretty entertaining even though the horse had already bolted. Froome's double can be seen as entertaining or at least impressive.

Red Rick said:
silvergrenade said:
Nibali: "In my opinion, if he hadn't found a team as strong as Team Sky during his career, he wouldn't have won his four Tours"

I kinda agree with Nibali. Without Sky, Froome would have already won 5 Tours de France. :razz: :p
Why not 6th? Obviously without Sky he wouldn't have crashed out in 2014

Yup. 6 Tours. Thanks for the correction. Much appreciated. ;) ;)

without mighty sky froome would've won lesser amount of grand tours and still would've taken a few. the role of the team in his success is very big but not immense. strong teammates don't set you free from having to keep the necessary watts in the legs and be a versatile rider. all the more so even without a team froome showed several impressive yo-yoing lessons like on cavadonga and vaujany.

Re:

dacooley said:
without mighty sky froome would've won lesser amount of grand tours and still would've taken a few. the role of the team in his success is very big but not immense. strong teammates don't set you free from having to keep the necessary watts in the legs and be a versatile rider. all the more so even without a team froome showed several impressive yo-yoing lessons like on cavadonga and vaujany.
No doubt that he would've been a GT winner regardless. But with a lesser pace on the mountain stages your winning gaps are gonna be smaller and with less help when you're dropped your losses are gonna be bigger.

I've had two non-cycling friends that were nevertheless
international athletes (one was a swimming Olympian, one
from athletics) separately ask basically the same question:
"If Contador/Nibali can't even hang on to the SKY train, why
do they think they are better than Froomey?"

But of course they are not cycling experts. :)

oldcrank said:

That is a question based on a generalisation of one situation

oldcrank said:

Do they really think that? If they do....then well, LOL! :lol:

silvergrenade said:
Red Rick said:
silvergrenade said:
Nibali: "In my opinion, if he hadn't found a team as strong as Team Sky during his career, he wouldn't have won his four Tours"

I kinda agree with Nibali. Without Sky, Froome would have already won 5 Tours de France. :razz: :p

Yup. 6 Tours. Thanks for the correction. Much appreciated. ;) ;)

and 3 Vueltas

oldcrank said:

Clearly they haven't a clue how cycling works.

cantpedal said:
silvergrenade said:
Red Rick said:
silvergrenade said:

I kinda agree with Nibali. Without Sky, Froome would have already won 5 Tours de France. :razz:

Yup. 6 Tours. Thanks for the correction. Much appreciated. ;)

and 3 Vueltas
:)
9 GTs. Coooooll! :D :p

silvergrenade said:
cantpedal said:
silvergrenade said:
Red Rick said:
silvergrenade said:

I kinda agree with Nibali. Without Sky, Froome would have already won 5 Tours de France. :razz:

Yup. 6 Tours. Thanks for the correction. Much appreciated. ;)

and 3 Vueltas
:)
9 GTs. Coooooll! :D :p
GOAT

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
oldcrank said:

Exactly. Why they just don't hang on to the SKY train and then drop Froome like a stone. It's almost like they haven't the form to do that :eek: :p :lol:

miguelindurain111 said:
LaFlorecita said:
oldcrank said:

Exactly. Why they just don't hang on to the SKY train and then drop Froome like a stone. It's almost like they haven't the form to do that :eek: :p :lol:

Don't feed. No point.

Moving on,
Frosty's interview excerpt:
“That a rider like him recognises you and thanks you publicly in that way, it means a lot, and I told him that personally. I’ve shared a lot of races with him and I have great memories,” said Nieve in an interview published by his management. “It was special to reach Paris with him in yellow, even more so this year winning the teams classification, and in Madrid [at the Vuelta] too. On the final day you have that satisfaction of having worked for that victory and you feel like you had a small part in it.”

One of the most loyal and strong domestiques leaves Froomes side. :Neutral:

miguelindurain111 said:
rick james said:
But clearly to some, style beats actually winning grand tours,,,so I'll ask who really doesn't have a clue how cycling works?

Speaking of style, Froome is like cycling's Emil Zátopek and that's actually a reason to like him. Well, at least for me :)

https://youtu.be/qINaVe0oyx0

LOL, now who did that runner who fell remind me of? :lol:

TRENDING THREADS