• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 578 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

pink_jersey said:
bigcog said:
rick james said:
Javier d'Abernon
@vayerism
Froome is back on a bike 35 days after piercing his thigh and his skin as his femur snapped in two.

That's incredible

Please tell me your source isn’t this?

According to the Telegragh he is using a trainer with one leg as of yesterday, hardly fishy although seems a bit risky to me but what do I know.

It's fine. I ruptured my ACL,LCL, meniscus and a big part of the cartilage last year but when I was allowed to put the leg down it was really fine. The difference between me and Froome was that he probably has full imobilization.
Also, cycling on a stationary bike is the easiest thing you can do when you have a leg injury. This should not shock everybody. The trickiest part of the recovery actually is after 3-4 months when you need to run and start do sports specific recovery. That hurt as hell. In my first run I couldn't do it for more than 3 minutes. My ankles, knees and back hurt me like hell.

Thanks for the info :)

Re:

del1962 said:
Isn't it going to cause problems for later wit muscle imbalance pedaling with one leg

Shows total determination though

I guess that's inevitable regardless...even just walking about on crutches will maintain some muscle in the good leg whilst the other continues to waste away. This is something he'll have to try and address once he's able to use the injured leg again.

Anything he's doing at this stage will be purely to maintain some kind of cardiovascular fitness....even that will be minimal. Its probably as much a mental benefit for him to be doing something as it is a physical one at this stage...

Koronin said:
TMP402 said:
I would assume Froome will not return to something like his best. Apart from his injuries, he's getting older anyway. To answer some of the points above saying that he would not receive a hero's welcome in France: why not just target Giro-Vuelta double for a couple of seasons (I would assume that's all he's got left at the top). The 2011 Vuelta is his seventh GT. Anquetil had 8. Hinault had 10. Merckx had 11. If I were Froome, I'd rather target the most GTs of all time rather than the most Tours. But then I'm just an old chunk of coal - Froome is the diamond.

He's not exactly liked in Spain either. Granted they aren't as bad about showing their displeasure as the the fans at the Tour are, but they don't particularly care for him either.

In my experience this is not true. I have been in Spain during several of his Vuelta rides and he had a lot of support from Spanish fans. at least in the pubs I was watching in :)

pink_jersey said:
bigcog said:
rick james said:
Javier d'Abernon
@vayerism
Froome is back on a bike 35 days after piercing his thigh and his skin as his femur snapped in two.

That's incredible

According to the Telegragh he is using a trainer with one leg as of yesterday, hardly fishy although seems a bit risky to me but what do I know.

It's fine. I ruptured my ACL,LCL, meniscus and a big part of the cartilage last year but when I was allowed to put the leg down it was really fine. The difference between me and Froome was that he probably has full imobilization.
Also, cycling on a stationary bike is the easiest thing you can do when you have a leg injury. This should not shock everybody. The trickiest part of the recovery actually is after 3-4 months when you need to run and start do sports specific recovery. That hurt as hell. In my first run I couldn't do it for more than 3 minutes. My ankles, knees and back hurt me like hell.

Running? My husband had ACL surgery (torn ACL) and never did running as part of the recovery. Actually unless basically a building is on fire he's said he won't run. He did cycling and swimming for recover. Valverde also didn't do any running for recovery after his kneecap injury, just cycling and swimming as well. Actually he also said his days of running are over.

As for Froome using a trainer, as long as it's just spinning he should be fine. Valverde was on a water bike 2 and a half weeks after his kneecap injury and on his trainer about 2 days after that. He was only allowed to spin due to the broken ankle. I'm not sure Froome being on a trainer at this point is a problem. If he was out on the road that might be another story.

cantpedal said:
Koronin said:
TMP402 said:
I would assume Froome will not return to something like his best. Apart from his injuries, he's getting older anyway. To answer some of the points above saying that he would not receive a hero's welcome in France: why not just target Giro-Vuelta double for a couple of seasons (I would assume that's all he's got left at the top). The 2011 Vuelta is his seventh GT. Anquetil had 8. Hinault had 10. Merckx had 11. If I were Froome, I'd rather target the most GTs of all time rather than the most Tours. But then I'm just an old chunk of coal - Froome is the diamond.

He's not exactly liked in Spain either. Granted they aren't as bad about showing their displeasure as the the fans at the Tour are, but they don't particularly care for him either.

In my experience this is not true. I have been in Spain during several of his Vuelta rides and he had a lot of support from Spanish fans. at least in the pubs I was watching in :)
Yeah, when there are images from the start of the races he's always supported by fan, the same was also at the Giro, only in France there are mostly boooo for him, but they did the same even with a rider loved by almost everyone everywhere else like Contador, the hate is always endemic among Frenchmen.

Re:

del1962 said:
Isn't it going to cause problems for later wit muscle imbalance pedaling with one leg

Shows total determination though

He'll have to work at getting the muscle mass back in the injured leg. Valverde had 6 weeks to allow his bones to heal and then started full work outs and training again. It took him from mid Aug to mid Nov to get about half the muscle mass back in his injured leg and his injured leg still didn't have the same muscle mass when he started his season at the end of Jan 2018. He'd posted a few pictures and video to show the difference in the two legs during the off season and how progress was coming in getting the muscle mass back. Froome appears to have had several weeks where he couldn't do anything at all he's also going to have to work to get muscle mass back in the uninjured leg as well. Valverde was back in the gym 1 week after his injury working out to keep his muscle mass and fitness in everything except the injured leg. So yes, it's going to take awhile for Froome to get that back once he's released to be able to start working on it. Due to his injury, it likely will take longer for him.

Koronin said:
pink_jersey said:
bigcog said:
rick james said:
Javier d'Abernon
@vayerism

That's incredible

Running? My husband had ACL surgery (torn ACL) and never did running as part of the recovery. Actually unless basically a building is on fire he's said he won't run. He did cycling and swimming for recover. Valverde also didn't do any running for recovery after his kneecap injury, just cycling and swimming as well. Actually he also said his days of running are over.

As for Froome using a trainer, as long as it's just spinning he should be fine. Valverde was on a water bike 2 and a half weeks after his kneecap injury and on his trainer about 2 days after that. He was only allowed to spin due to the broken ankle. I'm not sure Froome being on a trainer at this point is a problem. If he was out on the road that might be another story.

I play football so I can't avoid running. When your leg is a little stable(usually after 4months) you can start running in straight line without any changes of direction. After 6 months I did the first sprints. It hurt like hell. Stoping and starting is incredibly hard even now after 10 months.
But Froome doesn't need to do all of this. His recovery is all about getting the muscle back. The injuries are different. Still, in 3 weeks of imobilization my therapist said that you lose aprox. 70% of your muscle mass(it doesn't matter if you're an athlete here). Froome stayed more than that and I suspect that he will have a hell of a job to regain all that power.

pink_jersey said:
Koronin said:
pink_jersey said:
bigcog said:
rick james said:
Javier d'Abernon
@vayerism

That's incredible

I play football so I can't avoid running. When your leg is a little stable(usually after 4months) you can start running in straight line without any changes of direction. After 6 months I did the first sprints. It hurt like hell. Stoping and starting is incredibly hard even now after 10 months.
But Froome doesn't need to do all of this. His recovery is all about getting the muscle back. The injuries are different. Still, in 3 weeks of imobilization my therapist said that you lose aprox. 70% of your muscle mass(it doesn't matter if you're an athlete here). Froome stayed more than that and I suspect that he will have a hell of a job to regain all that power.

Ah, ok. Now the running makes sense for your recovery. Due to the sport you play you need it.

Yes doesn't matter if you are an athlete or not, it's going to take 6 weeks minimum for bones to heal. Yes you will lose muscle mass if you continue use training for that long. It'll take him a long time to recover what he had before the injury if he's able to fully recover. He has a very long road ahead of him.

The TopDawg won three Grand Tours on the trot (and podiumed in the fourth) because of his superlative recuperative powers ... so I guess we should never be surprised at how fast one of the world's most decorated endurance athletes is able to progress to the next step in his rehabilitation.

The sooner our Froomey is ready to pin a number on his jersey, the better it is for cycling and cycling fans. Let's all hope he can achieve full fitness in time to take a real serious shot at yet another Vuelta in 2020.

Even the great man himself is impressed.

l0Bdyz3.png

Wow! He looks remarkably well in that clip...even looks as though he's bearing some weight on his right leg?

Maybe the recovery process won't be as long and complicated as feared.

I hate myself for even thinking this...but that clip will do nothing to calm the conspiracy theorists :eek:

Re:

Poursuivant said:
In before someone comes in to analyse the cuts on his legs as a conspiracy. What I wanna know is where does Dan Martin come into it? Did he lie about the crash, as well as Doctors willing to throw their reputations away. The hate is real.

Still blows my mind that people actually buy into that crap.

Re:

Poursuivant said:
In before someone comes in to analyse the cuts on his legs as a conspiracy. What I wanna know is where does Dan Martin come into it? Did he lie about the crash, as well as Doctors willing to throw their reputations away. The hate is real.
Here is the thing, maybe he did crash, but they made it sounds more dramatic than it really was. For example the neck vertrebrae fracture which was only mentioned a day later and only by the Daily Mail at first. And then we see him a couple days later without a neck brace. Do you see how that could seem suspicious to some?
Also back when Contador won the 2014 Vuelta after crashing out of the Tour, some of the Froome fan regulars in this thread were more than happy to insinuate that the doctors were in on the scam. :rolleyes:

LaFlorecita said:
Poursuivant said:
Here is the thing, maybe he did crash, but they made it sounds more dramatic than it really was. For example the neck vertrebrae fracture which was only mentioned a day later and only by the Daily Mail at first. And then we see him a couple days later without a neck brace. Do you see how that could seem suspicious to some?
Also back when Contador won the 2014 Vuelta after crashing out of the Tour, some of the Froome fan regulars in this thread were more than happy to insinuate that the doctors were in on the scam. :rolleyes:
talking about A, don't forget to talk B. the opposite part of fanbase really loved making emphasis on contador winning the vuelta with one leg / after breaking the leg / having suffered far more serious injury than froome did etc. etc. you know the whole thing. ;)

don't worry, LaFlo, Froome is yet to please you with a few prominent showings. ;)

Re:

Pricey_sky said:
The latest Froome update with a few images of his injuries after surgery about half way through:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TeamINEOS/status/1157546643908153345

The loonies will say it's still staged. No full body footage apart from one photo (could be a doll) :D
Serious now: willpower is there. He is going to get there next year no doubt. Winning form is one thing, but he will be a factor for sure.

Re:

Ripper said:
I truly hope he has a full recovery and gets his health back.

I also really wish he would just go away.

I also, also think it might be a bit early to put a video together on his "road back", so to speak. Perhaps for the autumn?

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t. I’m glad they waited until after the Tour, and he does seem confident that he’ll be back racing next year, Whether he remains at the same level is another matter.

TRENDING THREADS