• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 606 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 45 57.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.8%

• Total voters
First Thomas said Froome wasn't a threat in his podcast with Rowe and now this guy suggests pretty much the same, would seem he isn't back to former self, which ain't exactly surprising given the accident and getting older. Either that or the knives are out for him now he's leaving Ineos. Perhaps he's made some enemies along the way. Noticeable Froome's twitter hasn't been active for a month. I'd say all is not well in Froome camp. I wonder what ISN are thinking.

Froome crying..............

View: https://twitter.com/chrisfroome/status/1285924963506106369?s=20

Best of luck to Chris Froome, he's done very well to come back from the career-threatening injuries he sustained, in that unfortunate crash. Time will tell how he gets on.
It's almost possible to miss that much racing and be ready; no matter what the "numbers" say. It generally takes a full season to get to the levels of output to be as successful as he was. He's also not going to be featured in his customary Sky bubble of support so he's going to have to get strong n' jumpy as soon as he can. Good luck to him for that; he's lucky to be walking.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
It's almost possible to miss that much racing and be ready; no matter what the "numbers" say. It generally takes a full season to get to the levels of output to be as successful as he was. He's also not going to be featured in his customary Sky bubble of support so he's going to have to get strong n' jumpy as soon as he can. Good luck to him for that; he's lucky to be walking.
I second this.
A good reference could be Valverde after coming from the doping ban. And he wasn't even injured. It took him over a year to get back to his normal self. And we all know that he is a freak.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Valverde had some other issues he was fighting during the first half of the 2012 season as well. He's recently opened up and been willing to talk about the deep depression he'd fallen into in the early part of 2012 and due to that he's said he has no idea how he won or finished well in anything he was racing during the first half of that season. The Ardennes are when it got to the point that he finally decided he needed to seek help. By the time we get to the 2012 Vuelta he's finally gotten his depression sorted out and he was more or less back to himself.

Now on the other hand there is something about not having raced a Grand Tour for a 12 month period and that affecting your racing.

Reactions: Red Rick

If that is correct, not as though it adds much to what we already know, it would suggest Froome probably ain't going to the TDF this year. It would be ironic if he went to the Vuelta or Giro instead and won, can't see it mind, and Ineos fail to win TDF this year with Bernal or Thomas.

Nope, as said I can't see it happening, but I can see him being left out of TDF team.
Fair enough.

I just don't see him being left out, they've generally always had one or two domestiques not on that great from so they end up being the first cogs of the train, and so even in the worst case I can see a use for Froome.

Only reason I'd see them leave him out is if he's basically internally blown up on the team.

We will see, I don’t expect anything from him tomorrow.

I think if I was Froome and I hadn’t shown really good form in the Dauphine, I’d be worried.

Ineos are not sentimental, Brailsford will be cold - and honestly even if he was amazing in the Dauphine, I seriously think they won’t take him. They already have two top leaders, proven GT winners, and proven that they can work together at the TDF. Throw in the fact that Ineos have top domestiques like Amador or TGH to bring instead of Froome, I’ll be really surprised if he goes the TDF. I think he will have a Vuelta swansong, but we shall see this month.

Let’s hope the pandemic doesn’t mess anything else up.