• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 685 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 45 57.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.8%

• Total voters
I have to admit this issue is quite strange. I am not very update of this, but I see he said first he just had gut issues and his Boss said he had bilharzia....with no more details?? I think is ios not true. He was affected by a hard crash, he was working for the team, he had maybe some gut issues that didnt allow to be stronger at the end of the Tour,,,and finally he was quite strong at the end of the season..although is not supported by result...except maybe that 23th at Tour of Slovakia...

But anyway. bilhalzia medicin is not an advantahe for sport, by the contrary, a big problem, as the illness itself...and there is no TUEs in relation..so any clinic issue with bilharzia has no sense.

Last edited:
I have to admit this issue is quite strange. I am not very update of this, but I see he said first he just had gut issues and his Boss said he had bilharzia....with no more details?? I think is ios not true. He was affected by a hard crash, he was working for the team, he had maybe some gut issues that didnt allow to be stronger at the end of the Tour,,,and finally he was quite strong at the end of the season..although is not supported by result...except maybe that 23th at Tour of Slovakia...

But anyway. bilhalzia medicin is not an advantahe for sport, byt the contrary, a big problem, as the illness itself...and there is no TUEs in relation..so any clinic issue with bilharzia has no sense.
Except that discovering and treating the bilhalzia a decade ago was given as one of the main reasons the team and Froome forwarded to explain his sudden transformation into an elite GC competitor back in 2011.

Reactions: Bolder and SHAD0W93
Except that discovering and treating the bilhalzia a decade ago was given as one of the main reasons the team and Froome forwarded to explain his sudden transformation into an elite GC competitor back in 2011.
That is not true. Froome showed in his forst Tour he had the potential to be a Tour contender. He was really strong with those circumstances. He was 14 th at Vuelta a Castilla y Leon...with more experience he won la Vuelta later that year.. it could have been possible without Bilharzia, but with Bilharzia treatment has more sense as the illness afect blood cells.

That is not true. Froome showed in his forst Tour he had the potential to be a Tour contender. He was really strong with those circumstances. He was 14 th at Vuelta a Castilla y Leon...with more experience he won la Vuelta later that year.. it could have been possible without Bilharzia, but with Bilharzia treatment has more sense as the illness afect blood cells.
Really, a whole decade later we're still spinning the same story about him having two reasonable days at the 2008 Tour? And a small stage race where he finished only one place above a 21-year-old Nairo Quintana riding for a Colombian Continental team, and was beaten in the ITT by Igor Antón?

Totally. 14th in the Vuelta a Castilla y Leon is usually the predictor of winning 4 Tours. Makes sense.

Also this is pure gold: https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/giro-ditalia/froome-disqualified-from-giro-ditalia-60517 DQ'd for holding onto a motorbike up the Motirola, the year before the breakout Vuelta. The best part of that article is:

He said that he had done a large amount of work in yesterday's stage to Brescia for Greg Henderson.
"He was trying to get up to the soigneur at the top of the Mortirolo. He knew the Giro was over for him," Yates told Cycling Weekly.
"Though, we would never encourage our riders to hold onto a motorbike."
Froome helped Henderson by pulling in the first part of the stage yesterday to Brescia. He finished the day 104th in the overall classification.

Greg Henderson. The sprinter. Whose career highlights include, according to Wikipedia, "winning the points competition at the Tour of Georgia in 2005 and 2008" I mean, you really can't have a better predictor of GT success than working for a third-rate sprinter, can you? :D The team really believed in his talent, right? I guess Sky's incredible attention to detail and marginal gains somehow missed one of their riders being affected with an easily curable tropical disease. Makes sense.

Comedy. Just amazing that anyone ever swallowed that drivel.

'He was 14th at Vuelta castilla y Leon... With more experience he won the vuelta later that year'

Ahahahahahahajjaa this is the best most funny sentence I ever read in here. @Taxus4a love you my friend, you are so funny. We disagree about frrome but you are dedicated to follow him which I respect. You are a good guy.
He shopwed more level in Barloworl that in that Vuelta a Castilla y Leon with SKY. But anyway, I was in Valladolid and I saw Froome, I took him a picture and I though, What a pity, a promising rider, but from that Tour coming from Africa and with the best in the important stages, no good result... (I didnt know this a few months ago)
1.​
WIGGINS Bradley SKY
1h04'55"​
50​
2.​
FROOME Chris SKY
01'22"​
30​
3.​
THOMAS Geraint SKY
01'35"​
25​

Nor this 2 years before in Mont Faron
1.​
MONCOUTIE David COF
4h36'00"​
20​
2.​
SOLER HERNANDEZ Juan Mauricio BAR
07"​
10​
3.​
FROOME Chris BAR
13"​
5​

He won Giro del Capo II just before this, but I expected more from him those years.

And I remember how 3 days later my picture. he finished 14 in Castilla y Leon, and I though, maybe he has to show his best still. If he did that race wuith Bilharzia. It is better than to win le Tour.

You can read to me about all of this here: https://patrimoniociclista.blogspot.com/2013/06/an-unpolished-diamond-story-of-chris.html

and in spanish: https://patrimoniociclista.blogspot.com/2013/03/an-unpolished-diamond-la-historia-de.html

Except you have problems to understand, I didnt say oif you are top 15 in a Tour you are going the same year to win a gran Tour.
But of course if you have a good result before, it is more likely. The same that if you won Castilla y Leon, Your are not going to win a gran Tour for sure. If youare top 15 in Castilla y Leon with Bilharzzia, Your are goiung to win for sure lot of Gran Tours without it.

He shopwed more level in Barloworl that in that Vuelta a Castilla y Leon with SKY. But anyway, I was in Valladolid and I saw Froome, I took him a picture and I though, What a pity, a promising rider, but from that Tour coming from Africa and with the best in the important stages, no good result... (I didnt know this a few months ago)
1.​
WIGGINS BradleySKY
1h04'55"​
50​
2.​
FROOME ChrisSKY
01'22"​
30​
3.​
THOMAS GeraintSKY
01'35"​
25​

Nor this 2 years before in Mont Faron
1.​
MONCOUTIE DavidCOF
4h36'00"​
20​
2.​
SOLER HERNANDEZ Juan MauricioBAR
07"​
10​
3.​
FROOME ChrisBAR
13"​
5​

He won Giro del Capo II just before this, but I expected more from him those years.

And I remember how 3 days later my picture. he finished 14 in Castilla y Leon, and I though, maybe he has to show his best still. If he did that race wuith Bilharzia. It is better than to win le Tour.

You can read to me about all of this here: https://patrimoniociclista.blogspot.com/2013/06/an-unpolished-diamond-story-of-chris.html

and in spanish: https://patrimoniociclista.blogspot.com/2013/03/an-unpolished-diamond-la-historia-de.html
You've been promoting that blog post for eight years now. You aren't going to change any minds at this point. Not when most of the points people disagree with had been raised eight years ago, many of the points are subjective, those that aren't have largely been debunked, and you haven't come up with any new arguments since otherwise you wouldn't be pointing people back to the same article all these years later.

And you're still trying to paint it like Barloworld was some wild west cycling backwater and the baseline of talent we should judge him against is a cycling equivalent of, like, Adrián Solano. In reality, Barloworld was a ProContinental team which ranked 21st in the world (top non-ProTour team) the year before he signed, 17th (again top non-ProTour team) the first year he spent with them, and there was a higher level and more extensive pro scene in South Africa then than there is today.

You've been promoting that blog post for eight years now. You aren't going to change any minds at this point. Not when most of the points people disagree with had been raised eight years ago, many of the points are subjective, those that aren't have largely been debunked, and you haven't come up with any new arguments since otherwise you wouldn't be pointing people back to the same article all these years later.

And you're still trying to paint it like Barloworld was some wild west cycling backwater and the baseline of talent we should judge him against is a cycling equivalent of, like, Adrián Solano. In reality, Barloworld was a ProContinental team which ranked 21st in the world (top non-ProTour team) the year before he signed, 17th (again top non-ProTour team) the first year he spent with them, and there was a higher level and more extensive pro scene in South Africa then than there is today.
I am not promoting anything. I just wrote that becouse the answer of how was Froome development is long, and I am not going to put it in a post everytime someone said he came from nothing or things like that...If you read itm you will have the answer... He did a better first Tour than Contador, So, I doint know how you can say he wanst promising. Froome was almost without team workung and with the selected group at the begining of alp dhuez, just a mistake with fiood maje him to be out od the top 15 that day. And He was top 15 in the last ITT. contador didnt show that level in his first Tour, with more experience and with very diferent circunstances, becouse Froome wanst to race that Tour and he was new in Europe. He was just regular as he didnt work. But I am not going to writte that post again...

Last edited:
Totally. 14th in the Vuelta a Castilla y Leon is usually the predictor of winning 4 Tours. Makes sense.

Also this is pure gold: https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/giro-ditalia/froome-disqualified-from-giro-ditalia-60517 DQ'd for holding onto a motorbike up the Motirola, the year before the breakout Vuelta. The best part of that article is:

Greg Henderson. The sprinter. Whose career highlights include, according to Wikipedia, "winning the points competition at the Tour of Georgia in 2005 and 2008" I mean, you really can't have a better predictor of GT success than working for a third-rate sprinter, can you? :D The team really believed in his talent, right? I guess Sky's incredible attention to detail and marginal gains somehow missed one of their riders being affected with an easily curable tropical disease. Makes sense.

Comedy. Just amazing that anyone ever swallowed that drivel.
Do you think this is a Thirtd rate sprinters? sure??
https://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/race.asp?raceid=19858

And he was 23th in one fo the Queen stage of that Giro, in a griup full of big names. If you know anout cycling, you would ralized in that kind of thinks of a man how was working, more than the fact he had to left the Giro becouse he hold a motorbike (becouse you dont knpw why)

Anyway he was at that Giro to work, and he crashed that Giro. He had still lot to knew about pro cycling.

Last edited:
Do you think this is a Thirtd rate sprinters? sure??
https://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/race.asp?raceid=19858

And he was 23th in one fo the Queen stage of that Giro, in a griup full of big names. If you know anout cycling, you would ralized in that kind of thinks of a man how was working, more than the fact he had to left the Giro becouse he hold a motorbike (becouse you dont knpw why)

Anyway he was at that Giro to work, and he crashed that Giro. He had still lot to knew about pro cycling.
OMG, he took second in a sprint one time! Don't stop believing my friend. Froome figured out all of pro cycling in 18 months. The Badzilla impacts yer brains and yer blood cells!

I am not promoting anything. I just wrote that becouse the answer of how was Froome development is long, and I am not going to put it in a post everytime someone said he came from nothing or things like that...If you read itm you will have the answer... He did a better first Tour than Contador, So, I doint know how you can say he wanst promising. Froome was almost without team workung and with the selected group at the begining of alp dhuez, just a mistake with fiood maje him to be out od the top 15 that day. And He was top 15 in the last ITT. contador didnt show that level in his first Tour, with more experience and with very diferent circunstances, becouse Froome wanst to race that Tour and he was new in Europe. He was just regular as he didnt work. But I am not going to writte that post again...
Contador finished 31st in his first Tour, Froome finished 83rd in his.

I never said he wasn't promising (and if you read my comments in the Clinic you'll see several times that I pegged his potential around the level of Egoí Martínez or Chris Anker Sørensen), I said that the ret-conning around how impressive those few noteworthy showings he had prior to his coming-out party in 2011 had been and how they justified his later development was ludicrous then, and nothing in the last 10 years has changed that to make me go, "you know what, I thought you were clutching at straws ten years ago but now I totally do believe that being distanced from the heads of state just after Johan van Summeren and beating Vincenzo Nibali on two stages despite being hours slower on GC and Nibali being cooked from doing a Giro-Tour double as a 23-year-old totally DOES make it obvious he had the potential to win four Tours".

At the moment, he's probably obliged to claim he's turning a corner because he's being paid like a leader but obviously unable to perform at that level at this stage. At his age and with his injuries that's no disgrace, but obviously despite some people's wishes, on the money he's on there's no obligation on him to retire, a sportsman's career is short, cycling is not particularly highly paid in sporting terms, and as long as he's being paid he should keep showing up to work. In fact, I hope he rides out his contract, not because I wish him any ill or want to see him embarrassed, but because every day of Froome struggling at the back is a monument to Sylvain Adams' hubris.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Is the story a cover for Froome or the team?

If the team knew that Froome's performances at the Tour weren't as good as his "numbers" showed in training then surely they should have quickly and frequently tested him if they knew that he is still susceptible for bilharzia reinfection.

Piggy backing off what Libertine Seguros said, Contador finished 31st supporting Heras and Beloki at first. Froome finished 84th without a leader to support. He could literally do whatever he wanted. In a race which famed climber Erik Zabel and Filippo Pozzato finished 43rd and 67th. On top of Contador returning to racing after actually suffering from a condition, congenital vascular disorder.

Barloworld was not some backwater team that had no idea what they were doing on top of him living in the United Kingdom. There is no way he suffered extended periods from bilharzia. With his geographic background and the key signs and symptoms with easy treatment there is no way. On top of we would have saw the signs of it, especially the ascities unless you want to say his stomach fat was actually abdominal fluid.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Really, a whole decade later we're still spinning the same story about him having two reasonable days at the 2008 Tour? And a small stage race where he finished only one place above a 21-year-old Nairo Quintana riding for a Colombian Continental team, and was beaten in the ITT by Igor Antón?
Revisionist history works best with continued revisioning ;)

If youare top 15 in Castilla y Leon with Bilharzzia, Your are goiung to win for sure lot of Gran Tours without it.

That's pure speculation. We do not even know if he suffered from Bilharzia in this race and if so, how much it affected him.
And even if it affected him, would you also say that Tyler Hamilton should have clearly won a lot of Grand Tours because this one time 2003 he finished 4th with a broken collarbone?

By that definition, half of the peloton was quite strong at the end of the season.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts