• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 768 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 45 57.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.8%

• Total voters
Replying to a fan on twitter Chris Froome revealed today his next race will be the five-stage Tour of the Alps, starting on April 17.
He competed in the same race last year, but was eliminated on the final stage for finishing outside the time limit - nearly 26mins behind first-placed Thibaut Pinot.
This year's edition will be no less challenging for Froome, with a total of 14,000 metres of elevation gains.
He will have to tackle a 5.2km penultimate climb at 10.1% on Stage 1; two 8% and 8.5% climbs near the end of Stage 2 and a mighty 15.5km climb to the line at 7.5% at the end of Stage 3.
Stage 4 has an altitude gain of 3,610m and the final stage includes 10% pitches in the final 20k.
Is this going to be a case of "getting in the hard miles" and "getting the rhythm of the racing into the legs," or is Froome going to actually compete?
Is he capable of competing or will we again have to endure talk of "building up the form" for some faraway race he is targeting in the future.
The time to produce is now Chris, at the Tour of the Alps, but glancing at the parcours I fear for you.
Is he now doing another altitude training camp?

If one wants to rate how good Froome still is, just have a look at today‘s Catalunya winner Ciccone (who is in the shape of his life), and last year’s TdF stage to Alpe d‘Huez:

Froome and Ciccone both rode in the breakaway of the day. Finally, Froome finished in 3rd place, and Ciccone in 10th place (1 min 26 secs down on Froome).

Currently, eight/nine months later, Ciccone wins Catalunya stages, and Froome is on average level in Rwanda, but that is part of the game: just a different approach!…

For Froome, now all that counts is getting the miles in. Just steady, long rides. Rather calm approach. All that counts is July, and the race for #5. Whereas Ciccone has the Giro in mind, stage hunting and KOM jersey.

In Chris‘ position, he has to look for these „marginal gains“. Doing things in a creative, modern way. So his long range solo attack, ridden recently in Rwanda, could be a weapon against Vingegaard and Pogacar, if he repeats this attack in the Tour.

Both, Froome and super domestique Teuns, now keep a low profile. Project „#5“ demands this, apparently…

Truer words have never been spoken!

Replying to a fan on twitter Chris Froome revealed today his next race will be the five-stage Tour of the Alps, starting on April 17.
He competed in the same race last year, but was eliminated on the final stage for finishing outside the time limit - nearly 26mins behind first-placed Thibaut Pinot.
This year's edition will be no less challenging for Froome, with a total of 14,000 metres of elevation gains.
He will have to tackle a 5.2km penultimate climb at 10.1% on Stage 1; two 8% and 8.5% climbs near the end of Stage 2 and a mighty 15.5km climb to the line at 7.5% at the end of Stage 3.
Stage 4 has an altitude gain of 3,610m and the final stage includes 10% pitches in the final 20k.
Is this going to be a case of "getting in the hard miles" and "getting the rhythm of the racing into the legs," or is Froome going to actually compete?
Is he capable of competing or will we again have to endure talk of "building up the form" for some faraway race he is targeting in the future.
The time to produce is now Chris, at the Tour of the Alps, but glancing at the parcours I fear for you.
The parcours is not the problem. The harder the best for him. It is logical Tour des Alps is his next race, but It is a pity he didnt race in march. Last year he didnt finish last stages but the rest he was better than previous races...last stages It was raining and lot of people didnt finish or was OTL...He was 41 in one stage... He has to show a beter level this year.

Last edited:
He is going this week to Sierra nevada again, doing another altitude training camp.
The dawg decided to get the hard miles on sierra nevada.
He already did camp in Sierra nevada after Rwanda, as you know, i don't know why he couldn't get hard racing miles at coppi e bartali or Catalunya. Did you hear about any illness? Don't know what his team is doing, he could work for pozzo in coppi or something

He already did camp in Sierra nevada after Rwanda, as you know, i don't know why he couldn't get hard racing miles at coppi e bartali or Catalunya. Did you hear about any illness? Don't know what his team is doing, he could work for pozzo in coppi or something
I didn't hear anything about ilness, so maybe it just their plan. He is going to tour of alpes after sierra nevada.

He could do the giro before the tour....maybe.

This thread will come alive on Monday, April 17 when Chris Froome starts the Five-Stage Tour of the Alps.
As you can imagine there will be absolutely no hiding in a race with such a name and each stage features multiple climbs.
On Monday, will Froome be distanced on the 6.2km 6% Category 3 Branderberg?
Then there's the 5.2km Category 2 Kerschbaumer Sattel at 10% followed by a descent and climb to the finishing line.
No excuses Froome about 'building up the form' or 'getting the hard miles into the legs'.
You need to start producing now at the Tour of the Alps and that means staying with the best riders and staying at the sharp end of the race.
No more talk. Time for action.

Reactions: LookProGoSlow
on Procyclingstats he's on Romandie start list too, right after Tour of the Alps

He also rode both races in 2021 and 22, so they might be the only ones left that are still willing to pay him to attend :p

It's been nearly two months since his last race, where he at least spend some time ahead of the peloton, so it'll be interesting to see whether he can finish in the top half in Italy, or if he's suddenly getting struck by some kind of illness again. I'm not a Chris-tian, but I would still love to see him do well/better.

Reactions: Monte Serra
No news about him on the longer time since his crash...just an Strava event, no training, in more than one month...I dont know if that means good or bad news...que Will see from monday on.
This thread will come alive on Monday, April 17 when Chris Froome starts the Five-Stage Tour of the Alps.
As you can imagine there will be absolutely no hiding in a race with such a name and each stage features multiple climbs.
On Monday, will Froome be distanced on the 6.2km 6% Category 3 Branderberg?
Then there's the 5.2km Category 2 Kerschbaumer Sattel at 10% followed by a descent and climb to the finishing line.
No excuses Froome about 'building up the form' or 'getting the hard miles into the legs'.
You need to start producing now at the Tour of the Alps and that means staying with the best riders and staying at the sharp end of the race.
No more talk. Time for action.

There are 8 WT teams at the Tour of the Alps so the chances of him staying with the best riders are close to non-existent. Best case scenario he ends up in the breakaway. Or perhaps a top 50 in the GC.

Chris Froome has suddenly gone very, very quiet.
He was full of it in Australia and Rwanda, but has now completely fallen of the face of the earth.
Apart from a commercial tweet plugging a Strava ride and some plugs for cycling tech we have heard nothing personal in a month.
Nothing about his plans, how he views the season, his team, nothing.
I suspect things have gone from bad to worse and I do not expect Froome will spectacularly explode back onto the peloton scene as some fanboys may be desperately hoping for.
Maybe this is the end, finally.

Chris Froome has suddenly gone very, very quiet.
He was full of it in Australia and Rwanda, but has now completely fallen of the face of the earth.
Apart from a commercial tweet plugging a Strava ride and some plugs for cycling tech we have heard nothing personal in a month.
Nothing about his plans, how he views the season, his team, nothing.
I suspect things have gone from bad to worse and I do not expect Froome will spectacularly explode back onto the peloton scene as some fanboys may be desperately hoping for.
Maybe this is the end, finally.
He was doing another training camp in sierra nevada during 2 weeks. He returns sunday on tour of alps.

TRENDING THREADS