• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Clásica San Sebastián 2022, one day race, July 30

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think the assessment that this Tour has killed of most of the participant is more than fair.

that assessment does not mean that Remco’s performance today wasn’t super impressive though. It was an extremely impressive performance.
I like Remco, and I am a fan of Remco, and like his attacking personality. But today you have to question the ease at which he dropped everyone. It was enjoyable but it was too easy. And then after a while you first chaser is Sivakov. I was asking where is everyone. And the camera work didn't help either, LOL. But yes, impressive but I need to see this in a GT, week 2 or 3 in order to make big comparisons.

This has all the elements to be considered a peak Remco performance for the forum standards. It will be brought back countless times now for next time he fails as "remember the time when Remco dropped [insert name of a very tired rider ]" as an excuse to keeping the GT hype alive. The Remco thread will have more 100 pages analysing his performance, his face and his voice just to conclude that he's still growing as a rider.

What a pathetic person you are ! Where do these frustrations and hatreds come from?

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
You're absolutely right but the state of mindless hype around Remco makes every discussion impossible.

One just has to look at PCS and compare the startlist with the actual top 10 and all the following time gaps. The big names are not even showing up.

Of course the kid was lucky not to have to deal with a peloton in an acceptable shape.
Yours "state of mindless hype around Almeida" makes every discussion possible. While Almeida is less talented and achieves far fewer results than Evenepoel.

I like Remco, and I am a fan of Remco, and like his attacking personality. But today you have to question the ease at which he dropped everyone. It was enjoyable but it was too easy. And then after a while you first chaser is Sivakov. I was asking where is everyone. And the camera work didn't help either, LOL. But yes, impressive but I need to see this in a GT, week 2 or 3 in order to make big comparisons.
Yes, but why is everything he does always have to be seen in relation to potential GC/GT results? Does a possible failure at the Vuelta make his win today or in Liège any less impressive?

Yours "state of mindless hype around Almeida" makes every discussion possible. While Almeida is less talented and achieves far fewer results than Evenepoel.
:tearsofjoy:

1) I never mentioned Almeida in this thread. They go for different race types;

2) Tell me a one day race that has had more DNF than this one;

3) Stop being so resentful, it doesn't do you any good. Putting Remco's win in context is actually good for everyone;

Reactions: Sandisfan
Special mention for Masnada who finished 50th out of 60 on almost 11 minutes in this Mickey Mouse race.
The team came to Donostia with an objective to win the race and they achieved their objective. Fausto did his job for Remco and then relax.

Remember we are talking about a guy who finished 2nd in lombardia, none of the strongest rider in the world could match Pogacar, no remco or Alaphilippe or Roglic. Only Fausto made the race interesting that day

Mollema and Bennot are really strong over this kind of terrain and Sivakov is no slouch either and yet they lost minutes to Remco. Of course he will have to fight against a stronger opposition in the Vuelta but he didn't beat a bunch of nobodies.

Mollema apart from the TTs was poor in the Tour and has been nowhere this year, Benoot also came from the Tour with long hard efforts in his legs.

Remco, won, on terrain that suits his skillset against lacklustre opposition. It won't be and I hope it's not that easy in the Vuelta. But with no Pog, Rog or Bernal, he won't have a better chance.

• Haha
Reactions: Big Doopie
As far as the one day races go, he has the potential to win 5 monuments along with Pogi. As far as the GTs go they are a completely different beast. But considering that G and a certain track cyclist named Wiggins and a certain zig-zagging Froome have won or podiumed, i wont put it past him in his later years. But Quikstep is possibly the worst team to do it at with bonus Lefevere performances.

Mollema apart from the TTs was poor in the Tour and has been nowhere this year, Benoot also came from the Tour with long hard efforts in his legs.

Remco, won, on terrain that suits his skillset against lacklustre opposition. It won't be and I hope it's not that easy in the Vuelta. But with no Pog, Rog or Bernal, he won't have a better chance.

Mollema has been top10 in this race virtually every year and today was no different, the only change was that he lost more than 3 minutes to Remco of course. But you don't even need to compare with Mollema just look at the numbers that Remco produced.

As for the Vuelta, that's a completely different beast but I find it interesting when you say that a 22 year old won't have a better chance of winning that race just because those guys are not there as if he won‘t have more chances in the next 10 years or so.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
What this race confirmed is that Remco classic wins are not due to competitors reacting to late or letting him escape by accident as some told about LBL. Which should give a lot more credibility on his potential future classic wins.
Initially i thought he would have a hard time in classics because he still needs to ge rid of the others... probably he will end up with the cancellera problem in his carreer... but still.. the numbers he pushed on this climb... if he does that in LBL at the foot of la redoute... its also game over.

Yes, but why is everything he does always have to be seen in relation to potential GC/GT results? Does a possible failure at the Vuelta make his win today or in Liège any less impressive?

I think this is a very good comment. As of now (or even before yesterday) it is clear that Remco is world class in one day races. This makes him a superb rider already, even if he doesn’t improve his GC results.

As for GTs maybe his current weakness is that he can’t deliver this output multiple days in a row. I am not sure if this is true, but to me it seems like he has had a hard time with that before, even sometimes in shorter one week races. Still, even if that is a current weakness, I believe it is a weakness that Evenepoel will overcome as well.

I think this is a very good comment. As of now (or even before yesterday) it is clear that Remco is world class in one day races. This makes him a superb rider already, even if he doesn’t improve his GC results.

As for GTs maybe his current weakness is that he can’t deliver this output multiple days in a row. I am not sure if this is true, but to me it seems like he has had a hard time with that before, even sometimes in shorter one week races. Still, even if that is a current weakness, I believe it is a weakness that Evenepoel will overcome as well.

Indeed we need to keep in mind that rarely any cyclist delivered output multiple days in a row before riding multiple GT. Bernal didn't win his first GT, Vingegaard couldn't even win a single stage race before his Tour win i believe, Contador also wasn't consistent enough in his first GTs, that goes for almost all besides a few rare exceptions.

Last edited:
What an amazing performance by Remco! He crushed the rest on the climbs and the flat as well. One of the best performances of his career, congrats!
BTW we missed another Teddy vs Eddy duel. It seems Teddy is not that good at recovering from a GT, no wonder he keeps withdrawing from Vuelta year after year.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS