• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Clásica San Sebastián 2022, one day race, July 30

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If Remco fails then 99% of the pro peloton fails more than him...

I am not sure how much do you know about cycling but races are not all the same, Evenepoel is just destroying some strong opposition today and proving that he is one of the best hilly classics rider in the world if there was still some doubts around after his LBL performance. There is no need to bring things like Grand Tours or climbing mountains to the conversation.

Nah! The "strong opposition" field and performances of the others were pretty weak. Pretty much a nailed on Remco win.

Clipboard-All.png

Reactions: postmanhat
They always say that whoever has momentum from the Tour wins here. Not today. We can say that this year the Tour killed the majority of the riders.

On top of that, this was the perfect scenario for Remco. Perfect.
2019 and 2022 are the only two editions from the past decade (didn't bother to look further) when a rider not coming out of the Tour, won. The rider winning (both) those editions is one lucky devil that only those two editions of the Tour were so hard that it killed the majority of the riders.

This must be what watching Merckx was like

there is a famous scene in La Course en Tete:

Giro 1973. Under Merckx's pace riders get dropped. only Battaglin is left grasping his wheel. then suddenly there is a shot of Battaglin alone climbing a riser and your first instinct is to think that Battaglin has dropped Merckx. Then in the distance, you see Merckx alone coming over the riser ahead of Battaglin.

that's what today reminded me of.

(before the haters go nuts, i am not saying remco will do this in a GT), but for someone who watched Merckx in his prime, yes, this is similar (at least in terms of one-day races).