• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cobo Talk Only

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
So this is the 280th odd post in this Thread about cobo. And not a shred of evidence to convince the jury that this guy is doping. I wonder how long this thread will carry on for, until end's up along with the rest of the superficial threads with titles such as ' Is Philip Gilbert doping ' No way Cancellara is clean ect....blah blah blah.....when the novelty wears of I suppose and people are done.....pardon the pun.....scraping the bottom of the barrel......

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Hors-Cat&#233 said:
And not a shred of evidence to convince the jury that this guy is doping.

Precisely! Saunier Duval simply had laser like focus, Ricardo Ricco was on his bike 6 hours a day. I think Ricco's (The Cobra!) training has rubbed off on the mighty Cobo, the injustice done to Ricco (The Cobra!) has given the mighty Cobo the drive to be the best he can finally be. That and his high cadence.

It was pretty clear on the Angliru he was simply more determined to win than the others, they obviously haven't been training hard enough. Our mighty Cobo didn't even look out of breath as he cruised over the line, he even had time to throw up a gang sign as he sauntered over the line! That is true fitness, the ability to recover after an inhuman performance. He wasn't even phased by the fumes from his Spanish motor-pacer on the way up the mountain. Lungs of steel, heart of pure Gold.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
I don't really find Cobo particularly unbelievable in this race. The top climbers don't really seem to be performing. Finishing ahead of Froome, Poels and Wiggins isn't really shocking.

2008 Tour, on the other hand... I think there are quite a few people who had a lucky escape back then.

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
William H said:
I don't really find Cobo particularly unbelievable in this race. The top climbers don't really seem to be performing. Finishing ahead of Froome, Poels and Wiggins isn't really shocking.

Couldn't agree more. Well said Sir.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
William H said:

what are you measuring the climbers performances against?

Maybe they are climbing well but better 'enhanced' riders are climbing better!

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
roundabout said:
Nope, I'm pretty sure it was Cobo being Cobo and Gianetti being Gianetti.
Does Gianetti actually have much to do with the sporting side of things? I've always thought he was in charge of finance/sponsorship etc and Matxin was the sporting director.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Duartista said:
Does Gianetti actually have much to do with the sporting side of things? I've always thought he was in charge of finance/sponsorship etc and Matxin was the sporting director.

i think he does a lot of organizing, finance, sponsorship, pharmaceuticals, gynecologist, high cadence coaching, previewing stages, changing body shapes, better gearing, those types of things

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
hrotha said:
For some reason people (even ASO) seem to focus on Gianetti, but I agree the real menace is Matxín.
I think it's probably because of Gianetti's infamous 1998 hospitalisation, and the fact that he looks a bit more sinister.

Duartista said:

Even though Gianetti fronts the wicked operation and Matxin is the guy in the car there's no way I'm giving that man a free pass however unjustified (Ed.-lol) it may be.

Berzin said:
This begs the question-when did Wiggo become a feared climber?

He is running on the fumes of a potential that may not exist. Not from the way he rides, at least.

He received a lot of hype after the Tour a few years ago and no real amazing or even consistent results after that. Just a lot of talk about how he's focusing on the Tour and that's it.

The press and his fans have made him out to be a rider he quite frankly is not.

I will take this rare occasion to agree with you. Since when was wiggins a climber much less an elite climber? The fact that he is dropping guys like nibali and rodriguez is a lot more shocking then cobo climbing well.

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
i think he does a lot of organizing, finance, sponsorship, pharmaceuticals, gynecologist, high cadence coaching, previewing stages, changing body shapes, better gearing, those types of things
I don't think he actually does any coaching, route previewing or anything like that - the team is based in Cantabria with Matxin.

I'm sure he knows his way around a pharmacy, though.

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
roundabout said:
Even though Gianetti fronts the wicked operation and Matxin is the guy in the car there's no way I'm giving that man a free pass however unjustified (Ed.-lol) it may be.
The deadly duo actually have very poor results this year up until now, and a number of their signings have actually got worse under their care. I don't want to defend them, because frankly, the continued presence in cycling of them and others like them is disgraceful, but I think there is more to the Cobo renaissance than meets the eye - both in the over-performance of many unheralded riders in GTs this year, and the under-performances of many theoretically superior climbers.

There's something going on, but I don't what it is.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Hors-Catégorie said:
Wiggins gives Cobo benefit of doubt

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/09/news/wiggins-gives-cobo-benefit-of-doubt_191101
We’re all cyclists. Everyone is innocent until proven guilty. While we’re in the peloton, they’re just like us,” Wiggins said. “We’re all racers and we race against each other. Other people’s opinions might be different on that, but that’s not certainly our opinion. As far as we’re concerned, Cobo is like us and he’s racing. And he deserves to be where he’s at.

Translation: "We're all cyclists. He's doping, I'm doping. He's got the better program, or the better legs maybe, and there's nothing more I can say about it."

Maxiton said:
Translation: "We're all cyclists. He's doping, I'm doping. He's got the better program, or the better legs maybe, and there's nothing more I can say about it."
No matter how Wiggins responded, he couldn't win. If he had said Cobo is dodgy, people would have said he's a sore loser and a hypocrite.

That's what I was going to say until I got to the "He deserves to be where he's at" bit. That's like the difference between "Dunno" and "I support him!"

TRENDING THREADS