• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

College Football

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
You're probably right. I just remember during Neuheisel's reign things got particularly nasty, at least here in Eugene. I remember hearing the Duck fans spitting on Dawg players and such, I was like when the *** did that happen?? This kind of animosity did not exist when I went to school precisely because, like you had stated, the Dawgs were just so much better they didn't even acknowledge the Ducks as rivals. The Ducks saw the Dawgs as a rival, but that feeling wasn't mutual.
Neuhsisel was sneering fraud of a coach, too. Not much love lost when he departed from most UW fans.

I've admired and enjoyed the Ducks and Beavers with lots of great players from those programs. Who could forget the Power Munchin running backs from O St? The Rodgers Bros were exciting to watch as Jacquizz would literally herd his O line in front of him while picking holes behind. Defenders couldn't even see him until he hit a gap for extra yards. Also; Steven Jackson. A few Seahawks defenders would like to forget him.

Me too because the Consortium of Football Prognosticators would have downgraded both teams if it had been one-sided. The one thing I got from this is the UW offense can be a victim of their own hype until everything is on the line. Their D...and Mr. Johnson the running back that won't quit were the happy positives of their season. Bo Nix was a good tactical QB and that single quality was highlighted. That and the officials are good at gifting PIs to keep the game tight....
Mike Penix is a serious physical savant and that won't get him a Heisman but may get him a career. The hit he put on the Duck trying to take him out of the game when he ran off the left side should make NFL scouts take note. The Duck defender needed medical attention. Mr. Penix has got a mean streak.

So now they in some sort of playoff that will still likely favor the status quo. After all, UW only beat a team they beat before so both of their ratings should go down, right?
If that is Michigan in the Rose Bowl it will be the sweet redux of clashes past. We know Woody Hayes tortured soul is ready to rise but the prospect of all coaches in Michigan's past suffering one last loss in the Rose Bowl is beyond epic. The East Coast broadcasters all want Georgia vs. Texas so it's not a known who plays the CFP finale.

I'm a sad, aggrieved fan. My Son, who I sent to school, attended WSU. He has a Coug tatoo and all he could offer up after all of my support and attendance at rainy, losing Polouse suffer fests for the historic UW triumph was: "I didn't think Oregon would play that bad."
Coal for Christmas for that one.
The UW-Wazzu rivalry was such a great thing for sports fans in the state. I went to several of the Nov matchups live and even watching at most bars in Seattle was still exciting because fans of both teams were there. It will continue for awhile but won’t be quite the same!

Neuhsisel was sneering fraud of a coach, too. Not much love lost when he departed from most UW fans.

I've admired and enjoyed the Ducks and Beavers with lots of great players from those programs. Who could forget the Power Munchin running backs from O St? The Rodgers Bros were exciting to watch as Jacquizz would literally herd his O line in front of him while picking holes behind. Defenders couldn't even see him until he hit a gap for extra yards. Also; Steven Jackson. A few Seahawks defenders would like to forget him.
Indeed, Neuheisel was a scoundrel through and through. And, hopefully I'm not misremembering things but, the Husky basketball team was in some trouble too at that time due to NCAA violations. I don't know how people in Seattle felt at the time because I already lived in Eugene, but I'd consider the early aughts a dark time in the UW's athletic program.

Reactions: Sciatic and jmdirt
They are football players.
I enjoy the Cougs and am still a Gardner Minshew fan.
Yep, that's all you need to say - football players. No further description required. Though, one of my co-workers during the Husky bleacher painting gig was Mark Bruener and he was actually a really nice and humble guy. Had a career in the NFL afterward, too!

Not much love lost either when Slick Rick left CU in 1998 for greener pastures at UW. Actually Neuhsisel was doing pretty good here when he took over HC duties in 1995 as the heir apparent to legendary Bill McCartney (McCartney resigned over the friction he has having with the administration/boosters over his religious beliefs).

Neuheisel was 33-14 with two 10 wins sessions in 4 yrs plus 3 bowl wins. He promised the CU faithful that he was committed to the program for the long haul & wouldn't consider leaving. Lol. Then came UW calling offering him a top 5 salary - something CU couldn't even come close to matching. So off goes Slick Rick to UW only later to get into hot water over the gambling scandal. Lol.

After the scandal at UW, it's hard to believe he got a 2nd chance at coaching in FBS - getting 4 years at UCLA! There he could only manage one winning season finishing a dismal 21-29 in those 4 seasons. Lol.

I see now he's HC at the Arizona Hotshots (?) & does color commentary for CBS Sports. I'll occasionally listen to his game analysis but I can take or leave him.

Last edited:
Not much love lost either when Slick Rick left CU in 1998 for greener pastures at UW. Actually Neuhsisel was doing pretty good here when he took over HC duties in 1995 as the heir apparent to legendary Bill McCartney (McCartney resigned over the friction he has having with the administration/boosters over his religious beliefs).

Neuheisel was 33-14 with two 10 wins sessions in 4 yrs plus 3 bowl wins. He promised the CU faithful that he was committed to the program for the long haul & wouldn't consider leaving. Lol. Then came UW calling offering him a top 5 salary - something CU couldn't even come close to matching. So off goes Slick Rick to UW only later to get into hot water over the gambling scandal. Lol.

After the scandal at UW, it's hard to believe he got a 2nd chance at coaching in FBS - getting 4 years at UCLA! There he could only manage one winning season finishing a dismal 21-29 in those 4 seasons. Lol.

I see now he's HC at the Arizona Hotshots (?) & does color commentary for CBS Sports. I'll occasionally listen to his game analysis but I can take or leave him.
I can't believe I'm watching that scumback on my television set right now, how does he still even have a job working in football?!

In some ways American football seems so inbred in that coaches play musical chairs with job positions, but even when found doing wrong they never really get permanently removed from the sport. (This, of course, can also be seen in cycling.)

Last edited:
BSU Mountain West Champs!

Michigan
Washington
Florida State
Texas

Alabama
Georgia

I know that all of the talk is that Florida State isn't one of the best teams without Travis. But the facts are that they are undefeated, and won games without Travis. They won their conference title with a QB3 who isn't even ready for college football yet. They will have their QB2 back for the CFP games. IMO, if the committee doesn't put them in, it is not only figuratively criminal, but literally criminal.

Michigan
Washington
Florida State
Texas

Alabama
Georgia

I know that all of the talk is that Florida State isn't one of the best teams without Travis. But the facts are that they are undefeated, and won games without Travis. They won their conference title with a QB3 who isn't even ready for college football yet. They will have their QB2 back for the CFP games. IMO, if the committee doesn't put them in, it is not only figuratively criminal, but literally criminal.
The CFP will be twisting reality to find a way to get Alabama in...could they actually backseat a team because of one of FSU's team being injured? It ain't right but it's all about ratings and dollar$ paid as a result. I'm biased but I think Washington and Oregon should be 1 & 2 if they go on schedule and include a 1 loss team. I watched Georgia and Alabama and their defenses were great. Neither could stay on the scoring pace of either PAC 12 team nor stop them completely. Their QBs looked like stiffs by comparison. Texas definitely looks like a good test for the other top 3 but don't have any viewing time on Florida.

Leave that top 4 because it's right and will be interesting. Sorry SEC.

The CFP will be twisting reality to find a way to get Alabama in...could they actually backseat a team because of one of FSU's team being injured? It ain't right but it's all about ratings and dollar$ paid as a result. I'm biased but I think Washington and Oregon should be 1 & 2 if they go on schedule and include a 1 loss team. I watched Georgia and Alabama and their defenses were great. Neither could stay on the scoring pace of either PAC 12 team nor stop them completely. Their QBs looked like stiffs by comparison. Texas definitely looks like a good test for the other top 3 but don't have any viewing time on Florida.

Leave that top 4 because it's right and will be interesting. Sorry SEC.
Before Travis got injured, Florida State had a legitimate argument to be the number one team in the country. Injuries are part of the game so that discussion is out, but the facts that F is undefeated, and won with QB2 (who will be back + have WAY more reps) and QB3 (who is not ready for D1 football) speaks volumes to how good they are. IMO, the top three spots are not up for discussion. Three undefeated conference champions.

Michigan
Washington
Florida State
Texas

Alabama
Georgia

This is tough one - but do you really think that FSU is one of the best teams in nation right now? OTOH, Bama knocked off the #1 team in the nation that had a 29 game winning streak. And this is Saban's 9th SEC Championship. Furthermore, if Bama played FSU next week - who do you think would win?

If the committee wants the 4 best teams, I don't see how they could leave out a one-loss SEC Champion that knocked off the #1 team in the nation. And I would think (hope) that one-loss Texas, Big-12 Champion who destroyed Ok St, & beating Bama in Tuscaloosa back in Sept would put them in (but I wouldn't be shocked if Texas ends up being left out).

I'll take a long shot & gamble that Bama somehow gets in.

Michigan
Washington
Texas
Alabama

Florida St
Georgia

Last edited:
Reactions: Sciatic
This is tough one - but do you really think that FSU is one of the best teams in nation right now? OTOH, Bama knocked off the #1 team in the nation that had a 29 game winning streak. And this is Saban's 9th SEC Championship. Furthermore, if Bama played FSU next week - who do you think would win?

If the committee wants the 4 best teams, I don't see how they could leave out a one-loss SEC Champion that knocked off the #1 team in the nation. And I would think (hope) that one-loss Texas, Big-12 Champion who destroyed Ok St, & beating Bama in Tuscaloosa back in Sept would put them in (but I wouldn't be shocked if Texas ends up being left out).

Michigan
Washington
Texas
Alabama

Florida St
Georgia
A two loss team like Oregon could take out a few of the candidates, IMO.

Reactions: jmdirt
Ha! Having lived in Eugene for years now I completely lost touch with the Cougs-Dawgs rivalry. I actually don't mind the Cougs at all now and wish them well against any other non-PNW team. Same with the Ducks when they play big non-conference games.

Vaguely related, one summer years ago I painted the wooden bleachers at the old Husky stadium as a summer job, we also painted the crew house. The football players had been staying at the crew house for summer training and had completely demolished the place... there was graffiti and gum stuck under the beds, it was clear the players had no respect for property at all. It was pretty gross.
That not just any old crew house they trashed . . . It’s sacred ground for college rowing. And you can all see it (soon) in a theater near you:
UW pulling for ripple effect from Clooney's 'Boys in the Boat' film

Michigan
Washington
Texas
Alabama

Florida St
Georgia
Nice call there—you got the order right too!

That not just any old crew house they trashed . . . It’s sacred ground for college rowing. And you can all see it (soon) in a theater near you:
UW pulling for ripple effect from Clooney's 'Boys in the Boat' film
Sorry, I misspoke, the football players actually trashed the rowing team's dorm, not the actual shell/crew house. (God forbid!) Still, I found it mighty disrespectful they saw fit to trash another team's dorm, especially given they both play/compete for the same school!

Last edited:
A two loss team like Oregon could take out a few of the candidates, IMO.
Maybe Texas - I don't think Oregon is better than Bama or Michigan. It's funny who they matched them up with in the Fiesta Bowl - Liberty (Conference USA champs & undefeated). I don't know how Lanning is going to get his guys fired up for this game when Georgia plays Florida St in the Orange Bowl & Ohio St plays Missouri in the Cotton Bowl.

Great semi-final matchups: We'll see how good Michigan really is against Bama. And Ewers vs Penix Jr in the other semi should be an absolute barn burner.

I predict Wash vs Bama for the title game.

Last edited:
Maybe Texas - I don't think Oregon is better than Bama or Michigan. It's funny who they matched them up with in the Fiesta Bowl - Liberty (Conference USA champs & undefeated). I don't know how Lanning is going to get his guys fired up for this game when Georgia plays Florida St in the Orange Bowl & Ohio St plays Missouri in the Cotton Bowl.

Great semi-final matchups: We'll see how good Michigan really is against Bama. And Ewers vs Penix Jr in the other semi should be an absolute barn burner.

Second the Wash vs. Bama

Reactions: Oldermanish
Transfer portal:

I just don't care at this point mostly because it doesn't matter what I think. It is the new NCAA.

BUT, I want commentators to stop saying "...the linebacker from Middle Cal JuCo, Cal Poly, Mississippi State, now USC made the tackle". I don't want to hear about their 12 previous schools.

BSU's QB1 entered the portal, but said that he might come back to BSU. Read: he's seeing if he can get more NIL elsewhere, and either move or use that for leverage. IMO: he won't find a better place for play or NIL. He was QB1, then QB2, then split QB1, before being QB1 at the end of the year (looking pretty solid in the conf. champs). On the flip side though, stud RB1 announced that he is staying (getting $300,00, car, house for NIL).

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
Transfer portal:

I just don't care at this point mostly because it doesn't matter what I think. It is the new NCAA.

BUT, I want commentators to stop saying "...the linebacker from Middle Cal JuCo, Cal Poly, Mississippi State, now USC made the tackle". I don't want to hear about their 12 previous schools.

BSU's QB1 entered the portal, but said that he might come back to BSU. Read: he's seeing if he can get more NIL elsewhere, and either move or use that for leverage. IMO: he won't find a better place for play or NIL. He was QB1, then QB2, then split QB1, before being QB1 at the end of the year (looking pretty solid in the conf. champs). On the flip side though, stud RB1 announced that he is staying (getting $300,00, car, house for NIL).
I haven't even considered what this new NIL stuff will do to NCAA football as we know it, the number of Bowl games alone is making my head spin. (Back when I started watching Bowl games the Cotton, Sugar, Orange, and Rose were the only Bowls that mattered and, on a rotational basis, one would determine the national champion. This "new-ish" CFP stuff just isn't working for me...)

On that note your Smurfs get to play UCLA in LA, not sure how to call that one. And we get to play Texas on New Year's Day, eh, we're gonna lose.

Reactions: Nomad and jmdirt

This would be nice because if we're going to lose I want us to lose with some conviction! :tearsofjoy: (I think Bama will be on fire now that they've made it into the playoffs, if they get past Michigan and the Huskies manage to get past Texas we'll be in for a treat.)

Reactions: Nomad and jmdirt
Winkler, not Hennery, made a good point today: Alabama does not deserve to be in the final 4, based on their loss to TX, but is the most likely to win it all. Kind of weird twist, huh? I'm not convinced that they are the most likely to win it all, but they are playing pretty good right now.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider