• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

College Football

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Entertaining game between W and USC! Lots of yards and lots of points.

The W D wasn't as bad as someone score skimming might think, they were solid for a few downs and then let a 30 yarder go (with no one within 5+ yards of the receiver), and then solid for a few plays and then another big one. Both QBs probably impressed the 25 NFL scouts and 65 coaches watching. Johnson with 256 yards rushing might catch a few looks too.
For the doubters the pattern of 4th quarter UW defense rising to the occasion seems to be a thing. Hopefully they'll be more present as they missed-tackled about 6 sack opportunities. Glad they won and the running game showed up but D has to be consistent to survive the remaining schedule. Oregon looms in the distance to wreck the Pac 12 opportunity for a National title representative.

For the doubters the pattern of 4th quarter UW defense rising to the occasion seems to be a thing. Hopefully they'll be more present as they missed-tackled about 6 sack opportunities. Glad they won and the running game showed up but D has to be consistent to survive the remaining schedule. Oregon looms in the distance to wreck the Pac 12 opportunity for a National title representative.
As a UW alum I still remember our 0-12 losing season (might have been around 2008 or so), so I'm always proceeding with caution. Once the Pac-something somethings encounter some proper D from the SEC and such we are traditionally toast.

As a UW alum I still remember our 0-12 losing season (might have been around 2008 or so), so I'm always proceeding with caution. Once the Pac-something somethings encounter some proper D from the SEC and such we are traditionally toast.
Always a truth with the Pac 8-12. Team's strengths tend to represent the competitive profile of opponents on their conference schedule. You have to score well against the conference to get a bowl berth and $TV payoff for the school's AD purse. USC seemed to escape the scrutiny on recruitment, etc until it blew up on Pete Carroll.

The SEC coaches seemingly have almost zero oversight and the talent that flocks to those teams know it. When it comes to draft time and NFL contracts, though; it doesn't seem to be as important as in years past with Pac 12 players dominating on both sides of the ball. It will be interesting how teams handle being in new conferences, won't it?

Last edited:
Always a truth with the Pac 8-12. Team's strengths tend to represent the competitive profile of opponents on their conference schedule. You have to score well against the conference to get a bowl berth and $TV payoff for the school's AD purse. USC seemed to escape the scrutiny on recruitment, etc until it blew up on Pete Carroll.

The SEC coaches seemingly have almost zero oversight and the talent that flocks to those teams know it. When it comes to draft time and NFL contracts, though; it doesn't seem to be as important as in years past with Pac 12 players dominating on both sides of the ball. It will be interesting how teams handle being in new conferences, won't it?
The SEC is always (and historically has) going to have a significant advantage with the top recruits every year. This year's recruiting class was so lopsided that's not even funny. Out of this year's class of 46 5-star recruits - 21 (46%) went to SEC schools with 8 alone going to Alabama! (4 of those true FR are already starting or in the rotation!). Here's this year's breakdown:

SEC - 21
BIG-12 - 7
PAC-12 - 5
ACC - 4
BIG-10 - 1

There were 5 QBs with two going to the PAC-12: USC & UCLA. None of the QBs are starting - and completely shocking - not even All-World Arch Manning (#1 OA & top QB recruit) is starting at Texas - let alone even playing! (he started the year 3rd on depth chart & has since moved up to #2 with the injury to the starter).

So, with this disparity in recruiting, conferences like the PAC-12, BIG-12 & ACC are always going to have a tougher time making the playoffs & getting BCS "New Year Six" bowl bids (nothing new there).

Last edited:
I didn't watch the Oregon v. USC game last night but I sure heard it - you could hear the announcer and all the noise coming from Autzen all over Eugene! (I thought for sure the Ducks were playing the Beavs in the no longer called "Civil War", but that won't be till a couple of weekends from now here in Eugene. It's gonna get really, really noisy then.)

Reactions: jmdirt
All the undefeated & one-loss teams won - so the CFP top-10 rankings will probably stay the same.

Georgia & Ohio St big blowouts. Michigan ran the ball effectively beating Penn St without Harbaugh (Corum - 145 yds & 2 scores). Florida St won in a close one over Miami. Wash struggled but took care of business beating Utah.

CU continues it's meltdown losing to Arizona at home. CU has now lost 6 out it's last 7 games & must win it's last 2 games to be bowl eligible.

Not a surprise - but what a buyout!

Last edited:
Wash St 56 - CU 14 (Friday night FS1 primetime game)

The bleeding won't stop - CU has now lost 7 out their last 8 games! Shedeur Sanders knocked out of the game in the 2nd Qtr. With this lost, no longer bowl eligible. Next week, they close out the season @ Utah.

Last edited:
All the undefeated & one-loss teams won - so the CFP top-10 rankings will probably stay the same.

Georgia & Ohio St big blowouts. Michigan ran the ball effectively beating Penn St without Harbaugh (Corum - 145 yds & 2 scores). Florida St won in a close one over Miami. Wash struggled but took care of business beating Utah.

CU continues it's meltdown losing to Arizona at home. CU has now lost 6 out it's last 7 games & must win it's last 2 games to be bowl eligible.

Not a surprise - but what a buyout!

Wash defense took care of bizness in really wet weather. Penix to Odunze....just watch the tape and tell me who is actually the best QB.

Reactions: jmdirt
Wash defense took care of bizness in really wet weather. Penix to Odunze....just watch the tape and tell me who is actually the best QB.
It looks like a few poll voters are beginning to grudgingly concede the Dawgs might be a top 4 team. The hopeful rematch with Oregon should seal the deal one way or the other but it's taken Herb H with his rating and Joey Galloway to get the word out. Penix has a chill touch that I hope remains for awhile. Not sure who to compare him with and the Heisman field is crowded with serious talent.

Washington's win over OSU locks them in the PAC-12 championship game (Dec 1). All the undefeated & one-loss teams won, which aside of possibly shuffling the #1 & #2 teams again, all the top-10 rankings should stay the same.

The biggest news of the day is Florida St QB Jordan Travis is lost for the season to a severe leg/ankle injury:

View: https://youtu.be/pK5W8JGZZ9I?si=rP6aZh6T75Y3dpQO

Travis was having a stellar season & is the main reason they're undefeated & playing so well (he's the #8 QB prospect in next year's draft).

FSU closes out the season against rival Florida this week & then plays #10 Louisville in the ACC Championship game. Their undefeated season & playoff prospects could be in Jeopardy (the backup is a RS Jr who has limited playing experience).

Last edited:
Absolutely unbelievable! Worst defeat for Auburn in 45 yrs!

A non-Power-5 school with mainly 1 & 2-star recruits destroys an SEC powerhouse with 3 & 4-star recruits. Auburn must have taken the entire week off from practice & then partied the night before the game. Lol

Rivalry games for some conferences this Thanksgiving week, the one I'm closest to and most familiar with are the Pac-12's. (Well, mainly the Oregon and Washington team rivalries anyway.) I predict both the UW and U of O will be victorious, which leads me to ask...

What will happen to WSU and Oregon State next year? Seeing as most of the other teams in the Pac-12 have bolted for other conferences this leaves Wazzu and the Beavs orphaned, it's sad. :(

Ah well, even though these teams may face each other in the future in some capacity here's to the last Apple Cup and the last "no longer called Civil War" as we know it, may both games be at the very least entertaining!

What will happen to WSU and Oregon State next year? Seeing as most of the other teams in the Pac-12 have bolted for other conferences this leaves Wazzu and the Beavs orphaned, it's sad. :(
It looks like WSU & OSU want to keep the Pac-12 alive as a two-team conference and enter an agreement to play Mountain West schools to fill their schedule. But there's messy litigation going on that may not allow this:

My thought would be to combine the existing Mountain West schools with WSU & OSU forming a "new" Pac-12 conference. Geographically this would make sense with Hawaii not having to travel that far for most of their games. You'd have two schools in the California market; Fresno St & San Diego St. Boise St & Utah St would be good additions bringing in the Boise & Salt Lake City markets. The farthest schools east would be Wyoming, CSU, Air Force & New Mexico along the Front Range region.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tricycle Rider
Washington's win over OSU locks them in the PAC-12 championship game (Dec 1). All the undefeated & one-loss teams won, which aside of possibly shuffling the #1 & #2 teams again, all the top-10 rankings should stay the same.

The biggest news of the day is Florida St QB Jordan Travis is lost for the season to a severe leg/ankle injury:

View: https://youtu.be/pK5W8JGZZ9I?si=rP6aZh6T75Y3dpQO

Travis was having a stellar season & is the main reason they're undefeated & playing so well (he's the #8 QB prospect in next year's draft).

FSU closes out the season against rival Florida this week & then plays #10 Louisville in the ACC Championship game. Their undefeated season & playoff prospects could be in Jeopardy (the backup is a RS Jr who has limited playing experience).
Absolutely tough outcome for FSU and Travis. He will recover.
It took this for UW to be considered in the top 4 CFP teams...for now. They play their perennial playoff assassins, the Cougars. If they don't go the way of their top-ranked history and win Oregon awaits. Fitting that last year of complete PAC teams have a game of serious value that doesn't involve playing a Big 10 team at a Rose Bowl.

It looks like WSU & OSU want to keep the Pac-12 alive as a two-team conference and enter an agreement to play Mountain West schools to fill their schedule. But there's messy litigation going on that may not allow this:

My thought would be to combine the existing Mountain West schools with WSU & OSU forming a "new" Pac-12 conference. Geographically this would make sense with Hawaii not having to travel that far for most of their games. You'd have two schools in the California market; Fresno St & San Diego St. Boise St & Utah St would be good additions bringing in the Boise & Salt Lake City markets. The farthest schools east would be Wyoming, CSU, Air Force & New Mexico along the Front Range region.
Geographically this would make way more sense than whatever the Pac-12 escapees are doing, I like it.

Like a phoenix from the ashes the Pac conference shall rise again, I wish the remaining (and hopefully additional) teams well on their journey!

Oldermanish!....Where are you? I didn't see this coming!

The committee said they were very impressed with the victory over #11 Oregon St. vs Florida St's drubbing of cupcake North Alabama (imagine that. Lol). They noted that the Huskies D is one of the best in the nation, and that their strength of schedule is one of toughest in FBS.

Take care of business against rival WSU & then the huge rematch with Oregon for all the marbles (presumably - Oregon still needs to knock off OSU) in the Pac-12 Championship game at Allegiant stadium.

Oldermanish!....Where are you? I didn't see this coming!

The committee said they were very impressed with the victory over #11 Oregon St. vs Florida St's drubbing of cupcake North Alabama (imagine that. Lol). They noted that the Huskies D is one of the best in the nation, and that their strength of schedule is one of toughest in FBS.

Take care of business against rival WSU & then the huge rematch with Oregon for all the marbles (presumably - Oregon still needs to knock off OSU) in the Pac-12 Championship game at Allegiant stadium.
Nice that they acknowledged the obvious.
They also telegraphed the projection that their QBs departure would make it unlikely to defend their victories to date. That seems totally unfair to the remaining FLA players. So now the CFB has two excuses to rectify their bias.
Again, it all means nothing for several weeks....

Credit to Mich winning without Harbaugh there. I had OSU winning this one. Lol. What's wrong with Wash? Tied at 14 at the half & letting the Cougars stay in the game! (is Wash looking ahead to the Pac-12 championship with Oregon?).

Last edited: