• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

College Football

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
No way would an undefeated & Pac-12 champion Wash, Wash St, Oregon, USC or Utah be displaced by a one loss SEC or Big 10 team. Those 5 ranked teams all play each other this season with #7 Wash in a huge game with #9 Oregon this weekend. Then Wash plays #8 USC, #18 Utah & #13 Wash St later in the season. If the Huskies win these games plus the conference championship - I guarantee the CFP committee will rank them higher than any one loss team.

And because Texas (beat Bama in Tuscaloosa!) & Florida St (beat LSU & Clemson) are 2 new schools in legitimate contention for a playoff spot this season, there's a possibility no one-loss team makes the playoffs this year. Georgia, Texas, Florida St & Ohio St or Michigan could run the table (Texas & Florida St have fairly easy schedules in weaker conferences, Georgia looks solid again this year, and Michigan & Ohio St play each other with the winner likely to go undefeated). Factor in an undefeated Pac-12 champ - and this could be a nightmare for the committee to select the best 4 teams.
I hope so. I was being sarcastic based on my long held grievances. My problem.

Reactions: jmdirt
Unbelievable game in Dallas - #12 Oklahoma upsets #3 Texas in the Red River rivalry!

Texas kicks the go ahead FG to take a 30-27 lead & leaving OK at their 25 with a buck 17 & No TOs. Dillion Gabriel mowes down the field going 4-4 & throwing the game winning TD.

Though Gabriel is undersized, I think he can play at the next level. He has excellent accuracy & a nice touch on his throws- and he can read defenses very well.

Major defeat for Texas - they'll need to run the table plus get help to make the playoffs. Oklahoma controls their own destiny in pursuit of an undefeated season & playoff spot. Hard to believe this team was 6-7 last year under first year HC Brent Venables.

Best college game I've seen in awhile.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tricycle Rider
Insane game. I watched the first half & then went to bed figuring it would be a 40-50 pt blowout. Lol. When I woke up & saw the final score, I thought I was in a parallel universe or something. Lol.

I mean, c'mon, CU is ahead 29 zip at the half & then get outscored 36-7 in the 2nd half? I've heard of halftime adjustments but this is Stanford that were talking about here. Or maybe the CU players starting partying at halftime - being a Friday night and all. Lol.

One thing is for sure: "Coach Prime" is getting a rude awakening coaching at this level. It was too easy at Jackson St beating up on FCS teams with the talent he had. I don't think he had any idea of how difficult it is to win at the Power-5 level if you don't have 4 & 5 star recruits at most positions (especially at the interior lines). We'll see what kind of recruiting he can do over the next couple of years

The craziness of last night's game - you can't make this stuff up. Lol

View: https://youtu.be/QQdUypqY4pU?si=hvl-qKfJ3UOCbI53

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldermanish
Insane game. I watched the first half & then went to bed figuring it would be a 40-50 pt blowout. Lol. When I woke up & saw the final score, I thought I was in a parallel universe or something. Lol.

I mean, c'mon, CU is ahead 29 zip at the half & then get outscored 36-7 in the 2nd half? I've heard of halftime adjustments but this is Stanford that were talking about here. Or maybe the CU players starting partying at halftime - being a Friday night and all. Lol.

One thing is for sure: "Coach Prime" is getting a rude awakening coaching at this level. It was too easy at Jackson St beating up on FCS teams with the talent he had. I don't think he had any idea of how difficult it is to win at the Power-5 level if you don't have 4 & 5 star recruits at most positions (especially at the interior lines). We'll see what kind of recruiting he can do over the next couple of years

The craziness of last night's game - you can't make this stuff up. Lol

View: https://youtu.be/QQdUypqY4pU?si=hvl-qKfJ3UOCbI53
Ayomanor's catch was pure will and talent. Coach Prime was busy saying afterwards that "our team's not ready for the moment". What coaching staff allows the same opposing wide receiver catch 3 long touchdown passes???? Triple team the guy....

Last edited:
Reactions: ManicJack
Oregon kicker chokes...Huskies win!

Exciting 4th Qtr - Penix Jr mowes down field for the game winning TD drive late in the game.

Huskies are a legitimate playoff contender --- big showdown with USC in 3 weeks.
Penix had the Heisman Moment. With under 2 minutes left and needing a touchdown he and his team ground down after down until they powered into the endzone....
except they didn't. He took about 33 seconds of game clock and two extraordinary passes caught by phenomenal receivers to stifle Bo Nix hype. Cold blooded.

Last edited:
What are you so upset about Oldermanish? The first CFP rankings don't come out until Oct. 31. Those are the rankings that count & mean something (Wash could be in the top 4). That being said, the  AP rankings just came out & they're 5th!

1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. Ohio St
4. Florida St
5. Washington

That's not bad - they're the first one in. Let's say Wash keeps winning & holds that spot. Someone has to lose the Mich - OSU game. And that team is out & Wash is in like Flynn.

Georgia could run the table with their remaining weak schedule & meet Bama in the conference championship (Bama still looks like the best team in the West division). Like I said, someone has to lose the Mich - OSU game. That leaves Florida St, who is having a great year will probably run the table with an easy ACC schedule. But they more than likely will meet Clemson in the conference championship for a rematch game where they would be favored but not guaranteed to win.

All Wash has to do is take care of business & win out with three tough games remaining with ranked opponents; #18 USC (though they got embarrassed last night by ND. Lol), #14 Utah & #12 Oregon St.

Of course, there's the conference championship game involving a South division opponent (probably either USC or Utah, IMO).

Clearly, with the win over Oregon, Wash is a legitimate playoff contender & will be the talk of the college football experts this week (I think the guru Kirk Herbstreit is big on Wash). And since Oregon only dropped one spot in the AP, a lot of recognition will be put on Wash as a legit team.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fbs/associated-press

Last edited:
What are you so upset about Oldermanish? The first CFP rankings don't come out until Oct. 31. Those are the rankings that count & mean something (Wash could be in the top 4). That being said, the  AP rankings just came out & they're 5th!

1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. Ohio St
4. Florida St
5. Washington

That's not bad - they're the first one in. Let's say Wash keeps winning & holds that spot. Someone has to lose the Mich - OSU game. And that team is out & Wash is in like Flynn.

Georgia could run the table with their remaining weak schedule & meet Bama in the conference championship (Bama still looks like the best team in the West division). Like I said, someone has to lose the Mich - OSU game. That leaves Florida St, who is having a great year will probably run the table with an easy ACC schedule. But they more than likely will meet Clemson in the conference championship for a rematch game where they would be favored but not guaranteed to win.

All Wash has to do is take care of business & win out with three tough games remaining with ranked opponents; #18 USC (though they got embarrassed last night by ND. Lol), #14 Utah & #12 Oregon St.

Of course, there's the conference championship game involving a South division opponent (probably either USC or Utah, IMO).

Clearly, with the win over Oregon, Wash is a legitimate playoff contender & will be the talk of the college football experts this week (I think the guru Kirk Herbstreit is big on Wash). And since Oregon only dropped one spot in the AP, a lot of recognition will be put on Wash as a legit team.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fbs/associated-press
I'm just a whiney former student. Got drunk on big beers and sourdough loaves from the Ave mini-mart while growing up. Maybe didn't entirely grow up. By the way...Herbsteit tends to be a fickle tool. Another prejudice but while I'm drinking it's a good observation.

The UCS loss is on Lincoln for playing bad math!

OK, there's more to it than that, but if he would have just kicked the PA, he wouldn't have been forced to go for two the next time, and if everything played out the same...its a tie at the end of regulation.

Congrats UT!

Big upset of the day - Kansas beats #6 Oklahoma (Kansas first win over a top 10 team since 2008). This sure helps Alabama as an unbeaten team ranked ahead of them goes down.

Washington struggles against Stanford but pulls it out late in the game (next week USC!). Same with OSU struggling against Wisconsin on the road.

Georgia hammers Florida with their new QB Carson Beck - a 4-star who was heavily recruited by Bama. Oregon wallops Utah. Utah with now 2 losses is probably eliminated from playoff consideration.

I think that I'm the only one typing here but...
The first CFP ranking is what it is, when you have five unbeaten teams the committee isn't going to put WA in the playoff. For sure MI or OH will lose at least once as might any of the others. How will the committee justify keeping WA out if they are the only unbeaten team? ;)

No way would an undefeated & Pac-12 champion Wash, Wash St, Oregon, USC or Utah be displaced by a one loss SEC or Big 10 team. Those 5 ranked teams all play each other this season with #7 Wash in a huge game with #9 Oregon this weekend. Then Wash plays #8 USC, #18 Utah & #13 Wash St later in the season. If the Huskies win these games plus the conference championship - I guarantee the CFP committee will rank them higher than any one loss team.

And because Texas (beat Bama in Tuscaloosa!) & Florida St (beat LSU & Clemson) are 2 new schools in legitimate contention for a playoff spot this season, there's a possibility no one-loss team makes the playoffs this year. Georgia, Texas, Florida St & Ohio St or Michigan could run the table (Texas & Florida St have fairly easy schedules in weaker conferences, Georgia looks solid again this year, and Michigan & Ohio St play each other with the winner likely to go undefeated). Factor in an undefeated Pac-12 champ - and this could be a nightmare for the committee to select the best 4 teams.
Well here comes their f*cking headache, I hope.
CFP Chair Boo Corrigan (I didn't make that up) explains:

“The biggest thing really is a point of pride to make sure as we’re going through this, we get this right, and make sure we’re comfortable with where we are. There’s discussions with five undefeated teams and looking at Washington.

“Washington has the big win over Oregon. A little bit of concern from the committee as it relates to the Arizona State game at home and the Stanford game at home. Two teams that are combined four wins. As we’re looking at this, 13 of us came to the conclusion that we got it right today.”
PS: "and that will be our excuse to keep a Pac12 team out unless the Nike team finishes well..."

Seems like UW can go undefeated and not get into the playoffs as they've set the preferences now.

Here's the CFP selection Board:

Boo Corrigan (Committee Chairman)Director of Athletics (NC State) Notre Dame graduate
Chris AultRetired former Nevada head coach, Director of Athletics
Mitch BarnhartAthletics Director (Kentucky)
Chet GladchukDirector of Athletics (Navy)
Jim GrobeRetired, former head coach at Ohio, Wake Forest, Baylor
Mark HarlanAthletics Director (Utah)
Warde ManuelDirector of Athletics (Michigan)
David SaylerDirector of Athletics (Miami (OH))
Will ShieldsFormer Nebraska offensive lineman
Gene TaylorDirector of Athletics (Kansas State)
Joe TaylorVP of Intercollegiate Athletics (Virginia Union)
Rod WestGroup President (Entergy Corporation), Former Notre Dame LB
Kelly WhitesideProfessor (Montclair State), former USA Today CFB writer

Not alot (none) of West Coast representation.

Well here comes their f*cking headache, I hope.
CFP Chair Boo Corrigan (I didn't make that up) explains:

“The biggest thing really is a point of pride to make sure as we’re going through this, we get this right, and make sure we’re comfortable with where we are. There’s discussions with five undefeated teams and looking at Washington.

“Washington has the big win over Oregon. A little bit of concern from the committee as it relates to the Arizona State game at home and the Stanford game at home. Two teams that are combined four wins. As we’re looking at this, 13 of us came to the conclusion that we got it right today.”
PS: "and that will be our excuse to keep a Pac12 team out unless the Nike team finishes well..."

Seems like UW can go undefeated and not get into the playoffs as they've set the preferences now.
Are you kidding Oldermanish? You're overreacting to the CFP's ranking of Wash #5 instead of the top - 4 (which means absolutely NOTHING right now since a lot of football still has to be played).

Wash is in a perfect spot - #5 and the first one in. The Huskies control their own destination & need absolutely NO help to get in. If they run the table - to include a Pac-12 crown - they're in like Flynn. Why? Because Michigan & Ohio St meet Nov 25 for the big showdown (assuming both are undefeated entering the game). Someone has to lose & that school will not supplant an undefeated Wash...period.

The CFP has never left out an undefeated P5 team (last year Georgia & Michigan were the only two undefeated P5 teams left standing & both were locks in the playoff). If Michigan & OSU didn't play - sure you could end up with 5 undefeated teams & Wash could be left out. This year the most undefeated  P5 teams you could mathematically have is four - and the committee would go with those 4. And those 4 schools would be conference champions - and the committee has said that they put considerable weight on conference champions (Air Force is undefeated at #25 - but they wouldn't be a factor because they're from a non-P5 conference).

Do you think Coach DeBoer is at all concerned that they're #5 instead of a top 4 spot? Lol. His concern is getting the team prepared & ready to play @ #20 USC this weekend! After that Wash has #18 Utah, #16 Oregon St & close out with WSU at home. Plus there's the Pac-12 championship game which features the top 2 overall & not the winners of the North & South divisions. So, if Wash & Oregon were to run the table - you would see these two in a rematch! (wow!...wouldn't that be a barn burner).

November is a huge month for Wash! One loss & then you can be pessimistic & throw in the towel. Lol

Reactions: ManicJack
Are you kidding Oldermanish? You're overreacting to the CFP's ranking of Wash #5 instead of the top - 4 (which means absolutely NOTHING right now since a lot of football still has to be played).

Wash is in a perfect spot - #5 and the first one in. The Huskies control their own destination & need absolutely NO help to get in. If they run the table - to include a Pac-12 crown - they're in like Flynn. Why? Because Michigan & Ohio St meet Nov 25 for the big showdown (assuming both are undefeated entering the game). Someone has to lose & that school will not supplant an undefeated Wash...period.

The CFP has never left out an undefeated P5 team (last year Georgia & Michigan were the only two undefeated P5 teams left standing & both were locks in the playoff). If Michigan & OSU didn't play - sure you could end up with 5 undefeated teams & Wash could be left out. This year the most undefeated  P5 teams you could mathematically have is four - and the committee would go with those 4. And those 4 schools would be conference champions - and the committee has said that they put considerable weight on conference champions (Air Force is undefeated at #25 - but they wouldn't be a factor because they're from a non-P5 conference).

Do you think Coach DeBoer is at all concerned that they're #5 instead of a top 4 spot? Lol. His concern is getting the team prepared & ready to play @ #20 USC this weekend! After that Wash has #18 Utah, #16 Oregon St & close out with WSU at home. Plus there's the Pac-12 championship game which features the top 2 overall & not the winners of the North & South divisions. So, if Wash & Oregon were to run the table - you would see these two in a rematch! (wow!...wouldn't that be a barn burner).

November is a huge month for Wash! One loss & then you can be pessimistic & throw in the towel. Lol

Of course I'm reacting pre-emptively. That the CFP comes up with an excuse early bodes poorly for the possibility of a higher ranking even if the Huskies are fortunate enough to run the table. Your excerpt of the commitee's....placing considerable weight on conference champions phrasing already suggests they are denigrating the PAC 12 competition. Each team UW beats will depreciate the Commitee view and they could also conclude that Washington eventually beat a mediocre conference and maybe Alabama or Texas deserve it more. You're correct; the UW Coach doesn't care because he and the entire team knows if they lose a single game they will be out....of the top 15 more than likely.
But, if they don't beat USC this weekend soundly #5 ranking may be in jeopardy. UW defense has to dominate to preserve it.

Of course I'm reacting pre-emptively. That the CFP comes up with an excuse early bodes poorly for the possibility of a higher ranking even if the Huskies are fortunate enough to run the table. Your excerpt of the commitee's....placing considerable weight on conference champions phrasing already suggests they are denigrating the PAC 12 competition. Each team UW beats will depreciate the Commitee view and they could also conclude that Washington eventually beat a mediocre conference and maybe Alabama or Texas deserve it more. You're correct; the UW Coach doesn't care because he and the entire team knows if they lose a single game they will be out....of the top 15 more than likely.
But, if they don't beat USC this weekend soundly #5 ranking may be in jeopardy. UW defense has to dominate to preserve it.
Huh? Texas & Bama are ranked #7 & #8, respectively - considerably behind Wash. The only way Texas & Bama move up is if the teams ahead of them lose.

I need to clarify the conference championship weight: This is for the situation where there are two one-loss teams in contention for a playoff spot but one was the conference champion & the other wasn't. (for example, say both Bama & Ohio St have one loss but OSU is the Big 10 champ & Bama lost the SEC championship game) More emphasis would be placed on the conference champion vs the non-conference champion (in my example- OSU). Consider it like a tiebreaker formula.

Last year the only two undefeated P5 teams ( Michigan & Georgia) & the only two one-loss teams (TCU & OSU) were the 4 playoffs teams. Michigan, Georgia & TCU all won their respective conference championship. OSU did not - but they were the only other one-loss team. No two-loss team made the playoffs.

Utah won the Pac-12 last year beating USC (one-loss going into the game). But Utah had 3 losses so they were never taken into consideration. Clemson won the ACC but had 2 losses - so they were out. All & all, the playoff picture last year took care of itself & undoubtedly the four best teams were in. No one, including whiner Saban, complained. Lol

If Wash loses this week to USC, they probably drop some spots depending on the outcomes of the games involving Oregon, Texas & Bama. No way would they drop out of the top 15 let alone the top 10 just because they lose to USC.

Last edited:
Washington hangs 52 on USC in an offensive shootout. Dillion Johnson 256 rushing & 4 TDs for the Huskies. Another great game by Penix Jr.

Unfortunately for the Huskies, all the top-4 won, so Wash makes no ground. Next week the Utes at home.

The other playoff contending team in the PAC-12, Oregon, destroyed Cal 63-19. Bo Nix was all over the place throwing for 386, 4 scores & runs for two more scores. If both Wash & Oregon run the table, they will meet in the PAC-12 championship game as a play-in game for a CFP with the winner take all & the loser more than likely out.

CU, in another one of those late Sat games, gets manhandled by Oregon St at home where the final score is not indicative of the game being that close. Oregon St simply dominated the interior lines & CU had no answer to OSU's potent running game. I think all this hype & hoopla over "Coach Prime" is ridiculous. The media treats him as some kind of accomplish P5 coach just because of his status. There's nothing special about him - he's a first year P5 coach getting his butt kicked by P5-level teams. The team looks undisciplined at times. I also think his son playing QB for him can have negative consequences & create division within the team when you start having a losing ball club .

CU is now 4-5 & needs to win 2 out of their 3 remaining games to be bowl eligible - no easy task the way they're playing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tricycle Rider
Entertaining game between W and USC! Lots of yards and lots of points.

The W D wasn't as bad as someone score skimming might think, they were solid for a few downs and then let a 30 yarder go (with no one within 5+ yards of the receiver), and then solid for a few plays and then another big one. Both QBs probably impressed the 25 NFL scouts and 65 coaches watching. Johnson with 256 yards rushing might catch a few looks too.