• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

College Football

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
BCS rankings are out and Bama holds #1 as the only Power-5 conference team left undefeated...no surprises there. But what a bad deal for the Huskies - going from #4 to #6 while Michigan maintains the #3 spot. What's up with the committee on this? Undefeated Michigan loses to "unranked" Iowa while undefeated Washington loses to a very good #20 ranked USC team, and they fall two spots out of the top 4 while Michigan stays put (?). If the playoffs started now, the Huskies are out and Harbaugh's boys are in.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings

And speaking of the Pac-12, I'm a CU fan and here in Buff nation we are excited like never before with CU's first top 10 ranking in 15 years! This is an incredible story and Mike MacIntyre should be coach of the century! The Buffs are 8-2, with losses on the road to only Michigan & USC. They have 6 conference wins so far this year which is triple the number of conference wins they had over the last 3 seasons! This is team that has finished dead last in the conference since 2012. And MacIntyre is doing it with 2 & 3 star recruits, unlike the Bama's, Ohio St.'s, Clemson's, etc, that drown with the 4 & 5 stars. The Buffs are tied with Washington for #1 in total defense in the conference...so their defense is making the difference, as they're not getting pushed around anymore by the juggernaut offenses.

If CU & Washington can win their last two games, they'll meet in the Pac-12 championship with the winner getting an automatic berth to the Rose Bowl. And if Wash wins, a very strong possibility of a top 4 BCS ranking and a playoff berth (they'll need either Michigan, Ohio St or Clemson to lose another game, IMO).

Of course, all of this may be irreverlent considering that Bama looks unstoppable. Barring a rash of major injuries to key players, they will more than likely, IMO, get their 5th National Championship in the last 8 seasons...incredible. If the NFL ever wanted to expand, they might want to consider the Tide. Lol.

Nomad said:
BCS polls are out and Bama holds #1 as the only Power-5 conference team left undefeated...no surprises there. But what a bad deal for the Huskies - going from #4 to #6 while Michigan maintains the #3 spot. What's up with the committee on this? Undefeated Michigan loses to "unranked" Iowa while undefeated Washington loses to a very good #20 ranked USC team, and they fall two spots out of the top 4 while Michigan stays put (?). If the playoffs started now, the Huskies are out and Harbaugh's boys are in.

And speaking of the Pac-12, I'm a CU fan and here in Buff nation we are excited like never before with CU's first top 10 ranking in 15 years! This is an incredible story and Mike MacIntyre should be coach of the century! The Buffs are 8-2, with losses on the road to only Michigan & USC. They have 6 conference wins so far this year which is triple the number of conference wins they had over the last 3 seasons! This is team that has finished dead last in the conference since 2012. And MacIntyre is doing it with 2 & 3 star recruits, unlike the Bama's, Ohio St.'s, Clemson's, etc, that drown with the 4 & 5 stars. The Buffs are tied with Washington for #1 in total defense in the conference...so their defense is making the difference, as they're not getting pushed around anymore by the juggernaut offenses.

If CU & Washington can win their last two games, they'll meet in the Pac-12 championship with the winner getting an automatic berth to the Rose Bowl. And if Wash wins, a very strong possibility of a top 4 BCS ranking and a playoff berth (they'll need either Michigan, Ohio St or Clemson to lose another game, IMO).

Of course, all of this may be irreverlent considering that Bama looks unstoppable. Barring a rash of major injuries to key players, they will more than likely, IMO, get their 5th National Championship in the last 8 seasons...incredible. If the NFL ever wanted to expand, they might want to consider the Tide. Lol.
You are forgetting about PAC12-N 7-0 Washington State ;) who your Buffs play this weekend.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Nomad said:
BCS polls are out and Bama holds #1 as the only Power-5 conference team left undefeated...no surprises there. But what a bad deal for the Huskies - going from #4 to #6 while Michigan maintains the #3 spot. What's up with the committee on this? Undefeated Michigan loses to "unranked" Iowa while undefeated Washington loses to a very good #20 ranked USC team, and they fall two spots out of the top 4 while Michigan stays put (?). If the playoffs started now, the Huskies are out and Harbaugh's boys are in.

You are forgetting about PAC12-N 7-0 Washington State ;) who your Buffs play this weekend.
No we haven't...but they've got to come up and play at altitude in Boulder. Besides, the committee isn't impressed with Wash St. giving them a #22 ranking (didn't they lose to "Eastern" Washington earlier in the year? Lol). Leach hasn't seen a defense like this...Falk will be running for his life :)

Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
Right you were there, tho EWU & BSU both have good teams. But this week the Buffs take on the other Washington team, UW Huskies. I'll take UW 31-24 over the Buffs. What say you?
I don’t think the game will be that high scoring; UW & CU are the top two defenses in the PAC-12. This is a tough one to call. Both QB play has been really good; Liufau for CU & Browning for UW (Liufau's a senior...so this and a bowl game is it for him).

However, I think the pressure is more on UW, as with a loss they lose their playoff ranking (#4) and a Rose bowl berth. If CU wins, they have a long shot at a playoff spot, (would need a Clemson & Oklahoma loss to even be considered, as Michigan at #5, would be the first two-loss team in). A Buff victory, but no playoff, they're in the Rose Bowl. A loss and they're probably still in the Rose Bowl as the 2nd highest rank team from the PAC-12 (CU hasn't gone to a top Bowl game in over 16 yrs!).

I'll go with a defensive battle and say CU 17-16 over UW.

Re: Re:

Nomad said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
Right you were there, tho EWU & BSU both have good teams. But this week the Buffs take on the other Washington team, UW Huskies. I'll take UW 31-24 over the Buffs. What say you?
I don’t think the game will be that high scoring; UW & CU are the top two defenses in the PAC-12. This is a tough one to call. Both QB play has been really good; Liufau for CU & Browning for UW (Liufau's a senior...so this and a bowl game is it for him).

However, I think the pressure is more on UW, as with a loss they lose their playoff ranking (#4) and a Rose bowl berth. If CU wins, they have a long shot at a playoff spot, (would need a Clemson & Oklahoma loss to even be considered, as Michigan at #5, would be the first two-loss team in). A Buff victory, but no playoff, they're in the Rose Bowl. A loss and they're probably still in the Rose Bowl as the 2nd highest rank team from the PAC-12 (CU hasn't gone to a top Bowl game in over 16 yrs!).

Ok. Just remember the 2 Colorado losses were away games and this one coming up is at Washington. ;) But it's interesting that both teams lost to USC.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Nomad said:
on3m@n@rmy said:

Ok. Just remember the 2 Colorado losses were away games and this one coming up is at Washington. ;) But it's interesting that both teams lost to USC.
This game is being played at Levi's Stadium, Santa Clara CA. I suppose it's closer for Husky fans than CO, but it's not a real home game.

Nomad said:
And speaking of the Pac-12, I'm a CU fan and here in Buff nation we are excited like never before with CU's first top 10 ranking in 15 years!
I'm actually surprised at how well Colorado has been doing since joining the Pac-12, just a few years ago they looked sort of hopeless.

Well, as a Husky I wish your team well in today's championship game (took us a decade or two to bounce back from utter humiliation), may the best team win!

Btw., I think it'll be closer than many people expect, I think Colorado will give us a good fight.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Nomad said:
on3m@n@rmy said:

Interesting note: CU was ahead of Michigan 28-24 in the third quarter before Liufau went out with an injury. And against USC, Liufau only played the first series reaggravating an earlier injury (Michigan game). The Buffs fought tough with a backup QB (Redshirt freshman) eventually losing a close one 21-17 to the Trojans.

Reporting live from here in Eugene,OR, at the U of O campus (kidding about the campus part) - Helfrich (everyone blamed him first) has been fired, so now they're blaming Mullens (the athletic director) for firing him.

I tell ya, you just can't make these boosters happy unless they have an INSTANT winning season (I don't think these people understand how the game works)...

Either way Helfrich is laughing all the way to the bank, the U owes him a rough 11 million $, unless someone out there is willing to buy him out.

Reporting live from Eugene, OR, this has been the latest news, presented by your very own Tricycle Rider.

Tricycle Rider said:
Nomad said:
And speaking of the Pac-12, I'm a CU fan and here in Buff nation we are excited like never before with CU's first top 10 ranking in 15 years!
I'm actually surprised at how well Colorado has been doing since joining the Pac-12, just a few years ago they looked sort of hopeless.

Well, as a Husky I wish your team well in today's championship game (took us a decade or two to bounce back from utter humiliation), may the best team win!

Btw., I think it'll be closer than many people expect, I think Colorado will give us a good fight.
Thanks...and don't forget the job Peterson has done with the UW program. I liked him when he was at Boise St., and was glad he got hired at a big time Pac-12 school.

The question: Will he stay or be lured over to Oregon?

Nomad said:
The question: Will he stay or be lured over to Oregon?
I don't think so, he's got a good thing going with Washington right now, why fix it if it ain't broke? (The season isn't over yet, btw., let us all not think too far ahead.)

The Oregon program is in complete shambles right now, whoever comes next will have to be able to take some heat. (Or a lot of it, actually.)

Re:

veganrob said:
No offense to any Colorado fans but I am hoping for a convincing Washington win so Michigan can't squeeze into the playoffs.
If UW wins, I think they're in no matter what. I can't see the committee leap-frogging Michigan to the #4 spot over a one-won loss Huskie team would have just won the Pac-12 championship. More realistic is if Clemson lays an egg against Virginia Tech in the ACC Championship game, then Michigan is in. I do believe, though, that Michigan is the best two-loss team out there.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Irondan said:
That was a thorough dismantling of Colorado by UW....

They showed that they belong in the playoff, but to go up against what could arguably be the best college football team in history is a little tough to wrap my head around.

Anyway, go Huskies!

....but they didn't look too dominant against USC did they ?....very confusicalistic ain't it ?...

Cheers

blutto said:
Irondan said:

They showed that they belong in the playoff, but to go up against what could arguably be the best college football team in history is a little tough to wrap my head around.

Anyway, go Huskies!

....but they didn't look too dominant against USC did they ?....very confusicalistic ain't it ?...

Cheers
No, they played terrible on the road against USC. That doesn't matter though as USC is almost a top 10 team anyway, losing to them on the road is not as bad as losing against a team like Oregon.

Don't be a Huskyhater... :D

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site

Irondan said:
blutto said:
Irondan said:

Anyway, go Huskies!

Cheers
No, they played terrible on the road against USC. That doesn't matter though as USC is almost a top 10 team anyway, losing to them on the road is not as bad as losing against a team like Oregon.

Don't be a Huskyhater... :D

...not a Huskyhater, after all, Huskies "gave" us the gift of Warren Moon....and gawd was he magic in the CFL style of play...

....was just sayin' eh....saw the game last night and Washington did real good but that USC defense was quite dominant ( or the Washington O-line is suspect )....

Cheers

UW can't beat Bama? BS. Go Dawgs!

It is extrememly unlikely Petersen would leave UW for the UO job. Petersen says he left Boise because after his final season at Boise (8-5) he felt he needed to get out of his comfort zone (revitalize focus). He was interviewed for the USC job, but he said it was not a good fit. IMO, the SC AD's philosophy is win at almost all cost, which clashes with Petersen's philosophy, which sets a high standard for player's character. I just don't see Petersen jumping from the Husky program he built to go to the UO.

For a bit there it looked as if last night's game was going to be close and potentially a spoiler for UW, but they turned up the heat and it was a surprise to see them beating CU the way they did. It's been a while since either team was ranked this high, particularly CU, so even with this loss, they've had a good season and they'll get another shot in a quality bowl, I am certain of that.

If UW doesn't get into the playoffs now and a team like UM does, well that would just be another joke by the NCAAF and the playoff/BCS committee.

What do you all think? Bama, Clemson, OSU, UW?

BullsFan22 said:
For a bit there it looked as if last night's game was going to be close and potentially a spoiler for UW, but they turned up the heat and it was a surprise to see them beating CU the way they did. It's been a while since either team was ranked this high, particularly CU, so even with this loss, they've had a good season and they'll get another shot in a quality bowl, I am certain of that.

If UW doesn't get into the playoffs now and a team like UM does, well that would just be another joke by the NCAAF and the playoff/BCS committee.

What do you all think? Bama, Clemson, OSU, UW?
I would never assume anything is set in stone in college football until it's set in stone, but it would be very difficult for them to explain any other teams than what you have listed unless Clemson loses to VT today. If Clemson loses Michigan is in, along with Bama, OSU, and UW.

UW has a chance to beat Bama of course, but they'll have to play the game of their lives. I'm looking forward to it... :)

Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
UW can't beat Bama? BS. Go Dawgs!

It is extrememly unlikely Petersen would leave UW for the UO job. Petersen says he left Boise because after his final season at Boise (8-5) he felt he needed to get out of his comfort zone (revitalize focus). He was interviewed for the USC job, but he said it was not a good fit. IMO, the SC AD's philosophy is win at almost all cost, which clashes with Petersen's philosophy, which sets a high standard for player's character. I just don't see Petersen jumping from the Husky program he built to go to the UO.
I haven't heard that Peterson was being considered for the UO job, of course there's no reason why he wouldn't. If he left for any team it would be a bummer but if he went to UO, that would be treasonous... :D

He's in a great situation at UW, one that can't really get any better at UO IMO, unless they throw insane amounts of money at him at which UW would surely match and/or beat....