• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

College Football

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm somewhat shocked by that. But college football is getting crazy and $$$ is playing such a big factor now.

CU & Notre Dame are looking at the Big 10. There's also some speculation that the SEC is interested in Clemson & North Carolina. Of course, Texas & Oklahoma are joining the SEC in 2025, which will completely decimate the Big-12.

The PAC-12 needs to do everything possible to keep CU in the conference. To replace USC & UCLA, they could add independent BYU, which has first class football facilities & routinely sells out Lavelle Edwards stadium (65,000). Though BYU has said they have accepted an offer to join the Big-12 when Texas & Oklahoma leave, I think they could be persuaded to join the PAC-12. In the PAC-12, they keep their rivalry game with Utah - and it would be an all important conference game, instead of the non-conference game played earlier in the season. They would also play Arizona & Arizona St, with the Phoenix-metro area having a large Mormon population

And either Boise St, San Diego St or UNLV could round out the 2nd replacement. SDSU would keep a school in the Southern Cal market. Boise St has a competitive program & looks to have decent facilities. UNLV plays in a first class stadium (Sam Boyd Stadium) that hosts the Las Vegas Bowl & the Vegas sports market is pretty good.
I think those sound like some good options, especially BYU. And if we (the Pac-12) fail to secure any reputable team we'll just take any community college available. :D (Crikes, I thought the Pac-12 was an untouchable super conference, how quickly time & money change everything.)

Reactions: Nomad
When the PAC-10 expanded in 2010 adding Utah & CU, I never understood why they shunned BYU. The school was pretty ticked off at being overlooked in favor of CU. BYU has top facilities & as I said they've been selling out Lavelle Edwards stadium for decades. There's nothing like a football Saturday in Provo (I attended one game there way back in 1999). And by taking CU - the decades long CU-Nebraska rivalry game was broken up. None of this ever made any sense from a practical standpoint until the almighty dollar was factored in. Lol

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
When the PAC-10 expanded in 2010 adding Utah & CU, I never understood why they shunned BYU. The school was pretty ticked off at being overlooked in favor of CU. BYU has top facilities & as I said they've been selling out Lavelle Edwards stadium for decades. There's nothing like a football Saturday in Provo (I attended one game there way back in 1999). And by taking CU - the decades long CU-Nebraska rivalry game was broken up. None of this ever made any sense from a practical standpoint until the almighty dollar was factored in. Lol
I hope we can coax BYU to join the Pac-12... the local Ducks will be playing BYU this fall for the first times since 2006! I think they should be playing each other more regularly, it's actually kind of bizarre how some decent teams manage to avoid playing each other for years and years.

Reactions: jmdirt and Nomad
Definitely 2 great games to kick the season off! The ND - OSU matchup was essentially a playoff game for ND. With that loss, ND is going to have a tough time with a very weak schedule playing Clemson on Nov 5 as the only game of any significance. IMO, they have to run the table & hope for the best.

What a game with FSU & LSU. The most pathetic special teams play by LSU that I've ever seen & LSU fights back almost tying the game with time running out but ousted by a blocked PAT - one of many special team debacles (why didn't you go for 2 Coach Kelly?).

CSU was crushed by Michigan (imagine that) & CU stunk up the joint losing big to TCU (I was at the game which was a very late 8:00 pm start for the ESPN telecast :confused_old:).

Last edited:
Didn't watch the game and only heard about this on the local news yesterday, but this is no way to coax BYU to join the Pac-12 (or is it Pac-10 what with USC and UCLA leaving) in the near future. It's especially embarrassing since the Ducks haven't played BYU since 2006, so what possible beef could the Duck fans have with BYU?

https://kval.com/news/local/university-of-oregon-condemns-students-for-offensive-chant

PS - The article doesn't mention it because they're trying to keep it clean, but the offensive chant was "fuck the Mormons".

• Sad
Reactions: jmdirt
The USC vs. UU game was very entertaining! BIG B*LLs to go for two Kyle!
Even though it was obvious by the number of times that guys were in the endzone, the defenses didn't look like it was a 43 to 42 game in many ways.

WOW T over A! I listened to Q4 on the radio in the car.

Reactions: Nomad
Yes...what a day in college football! If you're a fan, yesterday did not disappoint. (Tenn/Bama, LSU/Florida, Utah/USC, Texas/ISU).

What a game with the Volunteers taking it to Bama in that offensive shoot-out (first win over Bama since 2006!). Hendon Hooker was spectacular with 441 of total O (385/56) & 5 TD passes! Hooker wasn't even highly recruited (3 star) compared to the 4 & 5 star studs currently at Bama, LSU, Ohio St, Michigan, Texas, Florida, Clemson, USC, etc.

It's simply amazing how Josh Heupel has turned the Tennessee program around in just 2 years (7-6 last yr with a bowl game). He was impressive at UCF going 28-8 with bowl games & top 20 rankings in 3 seasons. The former Oklahoma QB can coach & comes up with great offensive game plans. He appeared Sat morning in person on College GameDay just hrs before the start of the game going over with Herbstreit some of Tennessee's formations & schemes. Lol.

Last edited:
O vs W was an entertaining game. Solid first half, explosive third quarter, exciting 4th quarter.

I thought that W threw it away after a great drive to get into scoring position only to throw a pick, and have O drive for 10 minutes. Keeping O to a FG proved to be huge since W answered with a quick strike to get a TD and tie it up with about a minute and a half left. O stalled out, and then W kicked the winning FG.

If W would have tackled better in the third quarter it might not have been so close, but those O back are pretty slippery.

O vs W was an entertaining game. Solid first half, explosive third quarter, exciting 4th quarter.

I thought that W threw it away after a great drive to get into scoring position only to throw a pick, and have O drive for 10 minutes. Keeping O to a FG proved to be huge since W answered with a quick strike to get a TD and tie it up with about a minute and a half left. O stalled out, and then W kicked the winning FG.

If W would have tackled better in the third quarter it might not have been so close, but those O back are pretty slippery.
I don't really pay much attention to my alma mater's college football success/failure till Bowl time, but this game's result I was most interested in being we have such a (somewhat unfriendly) rivalry with the Ducks. It makes me as giddy as a school girl the Ducks were beaten by the Huskies, not only beaten, but beaten here in Eugene on home turf! Yay, Huskies! :D

Reactions: Nomad and jmdirt
Some close calls for undefeated teams:
TCU over Baylor with the kicker hardly stopping his run from the sideline to kick the ball.
Michigan not quite as close as TCU because they had a few seconds to spare.
OSU was closer than the score because of the last second defensive TD.
Georgia only scored 16.

UCLA vs. USC was very entertaining. Two completely different halves too.

Definitely some close calls.

Though Michigan lost Blake Corum to a knee injury as he didn't play most of the 2nd half. He's rushed for 1400 yds & 18 TDs so far this season - without him Michigan's running game is nothing. His status for the big one against OSU is unknown, though he's says he's going to play.

Unbelievable Georgia scored only 16 when they've been averaging 40 pts per game.

Tennessee's run at a national championship has abruptly come to end with that shell-shocking loss to unranked South Carolina 63-38. And to add insult to injury, they lose star QB Hendon Hooker to a season-ending ACL.

Big games coming up this weekend that have major CFP implications:

#3 Michigan vs #2 Ohio St @ the Big House. This is essentially a playoff game with the winner in & the loser most likely out.

#6 USC vs #15 Notre Dame. A loss by USC & they're eliminated (even if they win the Pac-12).

#8 Clemson vs rival South Carolina. Clemson needs a solid victory to stay in the hunt.

#5 LSU vs Texas AM. LSU with first year coach Brian Kelly needs a solid victory & then a miracle against Georgia in the SEC championship game to be considered for a spot.

(#1 Georgia & #4 TCU should have no problem against Georgia Tech & Iowa St, respectively).

Last edited:
M vs O as been much better than I expected. I thought that not having Corum was the end for M. If you take away a guy who has 1,300 yards in 10 games, and averages about 6 yards per carry, that could be the end for a team like M that is build around him. They have found a way to make some big pass plays, but having literally no run game might bite them in the second half.

EDIT:
M got their run game going in the second half!

JJ McC had the best game of his young life today. Edwards and Johnson too!

M will likely be #2 behind G.

Last edited:
Michigan's passing game torched Ohio St - big passing plays with wide-open receivers. Michigan hadn't won at the Big House since 2000, and the last time the Wolverines went undefeated was 1997! McCarthy did have the best game of life - he showed great arm strength, excellent field awareness & a nice touch on his throws. It looked like OSU prepared to defend Michigan's run game as Harbough was quiet all week on Corum's injury status intimating he would play. However, he played only the first two snaps & that was it - so there was never any intention of him playing but it created a nice ruse.

Two big upsets that were surprising: Clemson loses at Death Valley to their rival South Carolina. With two losses now, their playoffs chances have dwindled significantly. And assuming they win the ACC championship, they would need an awful lot of help to get in. Dabo Sweeney may miss the playoffs for a second straight year.

And LSU couldn't handle Texas AM on the road, and with three losses they're out of playoff contention even if they were to shock the nation & upset Georgia in the SEC title game. Both USC & TCU took care of business with a solid win by USC over ND & TCU literally blowing Iowa St off the field 62-14! And Bama finishes the regular season at 10-2 with a solid victory of rival Auburn.

I agree Michigan should be #2 with #3 TCU & #4 USC when the new rankings are released on Tues. Who gets the #5, "first one in," spot will be an interesting debate between Ohio St & Bama.

If the top 4 all take care of business winning their conferences championship games - then that would be the final 4 for the CFP - I don't any see controversy with any of these teams. The controversy will start if just one of those top 4 looses in their conference title game.

Last edited:
Punched them & then some! That's Whittingham football for you - aggressive, hard-hitting defense & a powerful running game. Jackson was on fire for Utah (only a freshman!). Utah wins it's 2nd straight Pac-12 Championship.

Good bye USC - Hello Ohio St!

Last edited:
I hope we can coax BYU to join the Pac-12... the local Ducks will be playing BYU this fall for the first times since 2006! I think they should be playing each other more regularly, it's actually kind of bizarre how some decent teams manage to avoid playing each other for years and years.
BYU and Boise State! Love/hate watching the game on that blue turf.

TRENDING THREADS