• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Confidentiality/cover-up confirmed?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
ak-zaaf said:
LOL.
Belgium? They'll keep broadcasting forever. So will the Dutch and French. And the Italians of course. It's just the Germans overreacting again and again and again. I'd be fine if they'd stop showing up at the TDF only to report on doping.

If you personnalyu consider giving up on cycling you must have missed the worlds yesterday or the Giro last May. Seriously, what kind of fan are you if this makes you want to stop watching the sport at all? A July fan?

And what sport will you be watching after that, because every sport can burned down to the ground. The difference is other sports don't throw their troubles to the media every time.

The idea of same riders winning over and over just because they have the deck stacked in their favor doesn't seem overly appealing. But maybe it's just me and all sport is supposed to be like this for a fear of burning it down to the ground.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
FGimondi said:
These are all vallid points and precents a balanced view of the situation, but are probably more worth when discussing the matter logically than legaly.

Legaly the rules are in place and Cantador is in breach of them. The question to me comes down to wether one should treat Cantador differently because he's successfull and arguably the most important man in cycling. It is in this setting the UCIs handling of the case and atempt to brush it under the carpet becomes extremely damaging.

There are other potential reasons to treat this case differently that you don't mention. And you define the UCI actions as a carpet brushing. I think I am more cautious in jumping from half-questions and answers to full conclusions.

Before anything else: if this starts as "I'm defending Contador", I'm not.

Laws are drawn up and frequently have unintended consequences if followed to the letter. Logic & "Law" always go hand in hand. At some point, someone, after it is established that technically a law was broken, has to make the human judgement if prosecution for it is fair and in the public's interest. The more official the rules, the more important it is that it is done proper.

So the "made this a blip case" is settled, but people's "thus all these consequences happen too" are ignoring that that simply is not the case. Never. Not in "real" law. And not in pretend law, like a cycling stature book. It always involves humans who apply some sort of logic to case and circumstances. These can be wise sages and corrupt bureaucrats. And everything in-between.

At this point a lot of stuff gets dropped. Most of it for the right reasons. It's not always malignant when it's dropped. Not even if it is done by the UCI.

Nor is it per se a cover up if this is not a public and transparent process.

I'm sidestepping the question if the UCI is the ideal arbitrator for this shall-we-won't-we call in doping cases. They are, they made the call.

But it is a fact that when most of the "if a test is positive" were written in a time when testing for pico traces was no option. In other words, you had to be really positive, to get a positive, as anything in the grey zone would never register, no matter how big or minuscule the grey zone was, or if it was even understood how big or small this grey zone was. No-one needed to worry what level of micro traces can be picked up environmentally, innocently. You couldn't look that deeply.

I know poor rules can be followed to the letter, but I have no beef if people inject a decent and fair attitude to them instead, even if that means it ain't always done to the letter. Treat each case on its merit. I think there is value in that.

Tests that were known to penetrate to levels that show the "natural/reasonable" levels too, gave clear thresholds. Taking into account the state of science and frequently added a comfort zone that was convenient/appropriate for the rule makers.

Again, sidestepping the question if it is even possible to get the level that was found in Contador innocently", when you start to venture into picogramme territory, in tests that are only applied to a single individual in the entire field, or maybe one or two more at most, you will have to get something on paper that is fair to all parties, and grounded in sound science. Guilt has to be beyond reasonable doubt. They owe it to riders, we owe that to riders.

Now we are into picgramme test-lab territory, I probably have more issues with a zero-tollerance WADA attitude "because that is the rule", than a more measured approach that takes the real and complex world of micro-biology into account. Not saying the UCI is reasonable and measured, but here they just might have been (or tried to be in good faith). Poor rules ought to be ignored and amended. Pronto. it's why you can be guilty without penalty. Or not even get to the "being judged" stage. Happens all the time.

Maybe someone judged that the rules as it was, to the letter, no longer was fair and appropriate, at this level. In good faith, and probably as a reasonably informed non-expert.

I'm not interested if the same call was made in all cases, as circumstances will vary. What I am interested to know is: if it was a sound, honest and fair call.

In general, sure, for all banned substances, with ongoing improvements in detection machinery, reasonable and realistic thresholds will need to be set do eliminate reasonable doubt.

"Zero tolerance" set in time when tests were so weak that a registration meant, de-facto, that there was no need to look into "what is actually a reasonable doubt level in this case", were fine at the time of writing the rule. Applying the letter of the law as written then, to insanely precise test results now, might actually be a failure in the duty of care that the lawmakers have to the people it is applying it to.

It sounds people are as keen to try to burn the UCI down for anything that looks a bit whiffy, and just so you know, I too will be among the last ones to shed a tear if it is gone.

But a cover-up and sweeping under carpets require malicious intent. That case isn't proven at all here, and the details of "what happened how when", that we know of, suggest rather the opposite I think. Again: in this case.

I really think that the position that the UCI took, "hey that is indeed a blip, but it's bloody small and enough below the precedent to trigger additional complications in a strict ruling. This genuinely might be beyond what we feel is fair and intended when we set the rule, as it might actually genuinely be a false positive (against what we tried to identify), albeit a factual real one. Or someone incompetent made the wrong call, but in good faith, and all machinery around it responded accordingly, also in good faith.

The thing is, even after all the scrutiny it has had over the last week, it apparently still isn't settled at expert level what is actually happening at microlevel and what is and isn't possible in the environment that we have created for ourselves. So at the bare minimum, this case is striding into scientific terrain that is still muddy and unclear. Which makes the initial call by whoever made it not to throw the book at Contador seem all the more reasonable. To me at least.

Is it really unfair that a non-expert responsible for this, knowing full well the draconian consequences that come with it, took the stance: let's treat it as too insignificant, or too unsound, to take that type of action on.

You can read that as "sweeping under the carpet" or "protecting the dirty rat Contador" or whatever.

As long as it is also possible that non-experts really did make a fair and reasonable judgement regarding this case, I think the benefit of the doubt should go with the person who made it. Assuming a very normal, reasonable and human action is equally plausible, and still fits all the facts as we know them. In this case: no cover-up, no sweeping.

If the UCI judged it to be too unsound to follow up on, they would have failed the duty of care it has to Contador by placing it in the public domain as a "he's been found positive". It might have been wiser to handle it differently, but there are a lot of competing interests at stake here. Knowing that a lab had "a" registration, telling Pat, and just keeping it on file, without posting it straight into the clinic here, does not add up to "cover up" as the only option. It depends. And I haven't heard nearly enough depending to prove to me
a) this is the type of positive that we were after
b) it is beyond doubt that the UCI felt it was dealing with an actual offence
let alone
c) it took active steps to brush a "guilty on A" and "oh boy, this is a real solid B" under the carpet.

Some people are connecting dots based on wish-fulfilment, not because they show expertise in drawing solid lines

About all things clinic, we all have our opinions here, and that is fine. We are still mostly the blind leading the blind. Six experts looked at the blood passport and no 2 opinions matched. We are stuck in a forum full of non-experts who are utterly convinced, and posting daily, about "what it all means", usually settled on 1 option only. And based on fractions of the expertise and data that those experts have access to.

We all know bits of the puzzle, some more than others. But if the real experts can't make it all fit into a watertight case one way or the other, and are still exploring the finer intricacies and multi-faceted complexities of it all, you have to be seriously deluded to think we can settle it "in stone", one way or the other, on this forum.

Anyone who comes in declaring "he's the guy, this is what happens" usually has me running for the salt dispenser. Especially if you see which 2 dots they drew a line between without much reflection on alternatives.

That his falls in murky terrain might have suited a lot of people. But that doesn't alter that if you want to nail people for dirt, you still need to be fair and reasonable, and not jump on "too murky to call" as the nail to drive home.

The irony is that apart from these micro traces of "is it real mud or not". we appear to be swimming in a much bigger pool of more potent water and sand, and getting genuine mud-wrestle orgies to blib is much harder work for "some" reason. It's why I don't like the UCI in general.

If you are gonna use science to prove anything, you're first gonna have to get some experts to agree on what the science actually says. And in the meantime keep one eye on reasonable doubt thresholds, even in "zero"-tolerance cases that are still on the book as such, even if a dirty fish might have slipped the net.

Imposing draconian measures on dodgy science and rules will make a bad situation worse, not better.

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Clenbuterol levels

It seems that the levels of clenbuterol measured in Contador's and Fuyu Li's blood are precisely the levels seen in oral ingestion of clenbuterol, so they're not all that infinitesimal as everyone is saying:

http://tinyurl.com/247uacg

Furthermore, clenbuterol is not a muscle-building steroid, as I've heard bandied about. It's a bronchodilator and fat-loss aid - precisely the thing that climbers would want to use.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Francois the Postman said:
There are other potential reasons to treat this case differently that you don't mention. And you define the UCI actions as a carpet brushing. I think I am more cautious in jumping from half-questions and answers to full conclusions.

<snipped for brevity>

If the UCI judged it to be too unsound to follow up on, they would have failed the duty of care it has to Contador by placing it in the public domain as a "he's been found positive". It might have been wiser to handle it differently, but there are a lot of competing interests at stake here. Knowing that a lab had "a" registration, telling Pat, and just keeping it on file, without posting it straight into the clinic here, does not add up to "cover up" as the only option. It depends. And I haven't heard nearly enough depending to prove to me
a) this is the type of positive that we were after
b) it is beyond doubt that the UCI felt it was dealing with an actual offense
let alone
c) it took active steps to brush a "guilty on A" and "oh boy, this is a real solid B" under the carpet.

Some people are connecting dots based on wish-fulfilment, not because they show expertise in drawing solid lines

<snipped for brevity>
Hey, the laws an ass.

But it is not up to the UCI to decide which rules it enforces and on whom.
In fact the UCI should have just passed responsibility over to WADA and stepped aside.
Contadors press advisor's broke the story (late in the evening) only when the German media became involved - again this should have been announced after the A sample results were known in August.

There are no dots to be connected - Contador has been proved positive in both A & B samples. Simple.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
WADA's own lab in Montreal has some doubts and questions

first para - translated from the original french on Radio Canada

BTW SteveBauer weighs in in defense of Contador.

Christiane Ayotte never doubted Floyd Landis doping. But the director of the anti-doping laboratory of INRS is much less categorical for Alberto Contador.

"Let's be patient because there are material to defense, Ms. Ayotte said the issue Physical Culture. There is an explanation must be seen. This does not work is that there were negative tests before and after. "

This famous explanation, the triple winner of the Tour has delivered Thursday: food contamination with clenbuterol after eating meat.

Ms. Ayotte recognizes the validity of the thesis, since it has seen similar cases in China and Spain.

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Clenbuterol toxicity

People can express doubts all they want when some reporter calls them.

However, the vast majority of reported cases of human clenbuterol toxicity from eating meat have been a result of eating liver:

http://tinyurl.com/32l8qps

If the safety of the Spanish beef supply was ever REALLY in question, why wasn't a massive food safety investigation launched as soon as the positive test was announced to WADA? They have a responsibility to public health, as a government-funded organization.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Hey, the laws an ass.

But it is not up to the UCI to decide which rules it enforces and on whom.
In fact the UCI should have just passed responsibility over to WADA and stepped aside.
Contadors press advisor's broke the story (late in the evening) only when the German media became involved - again this should have been announced after the A sample results were known in August.

There are no dots to be connected - Contador has been proved positive in both A & B samples. Simple.

No, it shouldn't have passed responsibility and stepped aside after testing and getting initial A-sample reults, as WADA agrees that the UCI has a role to play in the testing and management of these results. If WADA isn't happy with the UCI's way of handling it, process, interpretation and rulings, it can go to arbitration. It isn't one OR the other, they both have roles to play, side by side. Some overlap, some are complimentary.

You appear to conclude they made decisions and blind-sided WASA whilst doing it or had an inappropriate involvement. Meanwhile WASA states it knew and it happy with how its handled. WASA happy with the UCI?

Sounds like WASA was involved at least early enough, and kept informed enough, for it to be satisfied with the way its handled, up to this point. I assume that means they didn't hear first of it after we did on this forum.

You might be satisfied that the A sample "tested positive in August".

Contador states he was asked not to say anything as it wasn't a positive a such, but something that showed that needed further investigation. (I can't judge if that was an accurate statement, but if it is, it pretty much means that at that point the showing wasn't seen as a "positive" by at least some of the powers that be, if not all. Rightly or wrongly).

Meanwhile, back in October, the UCI, WASA, and various experts, including WASA's test lab director, are apparently still struggling to ascertain what happened here, and to what degree, and what level of punishment is appropriate in this particular case.

Simple? Call me funny, but I don't go with you but with them. It sure ain't simple.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
TdFLanterne said:
People can express doubts all they want when some reporter calls them.

However, the vast majority of reported cases of human clenbuterol toxicity from eating meat have been a result of eating liver:

http://tinyurl.com/32l8qps

No, based on that table you know nada about how many reports register toxicity levels and what was consumed to attract it. You claim far more ground than your link substantiates.

What you have is a table that lists reported cases of people who had levels high enough to become ill. And if those are all reports, those that were ill and reported (and tested) mostly had consumed liver. That is correct.

But apart from that, we are all still swimming.

If the safety of the Spanish beef supply was ever REALLY in question, why wasn't a massive food safety investigation launched as soon as the positive test was announced to WADA? They have a responsibility to public health, as a government-funded organization.

Because it would be highly inappropriate to spend a lot of money on a massive operation when there have been ZERO reports of illness. All we have here is a single reported trace amount that disappeared as quickly as it came, and had no health implications for the individual.

As an aside, and not suggesting that it is food contamination here: no test that is sample based will exclude the possability that a single rotten apple gets through. Period.

But inappropriate alarmism isn't gonna help either, nor the suggestion that a totally appropriate course of action by a non-involvement governmental organisation proves anything one way or the other here.

Beef is regularly tested in the EU, and the system that is in place appears to satisfy those that are responsible for public health. Again, still, no-one got even slightly ill. It appears to work well (enough).

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
there are a couple of important points i noticed that many confuse about clenbuterol contamination when referring to statistics on poisoning.

one is the concentration that adversely impacts human health, a downright poisoning, very very high doze
next is the level at which people experience symptoms, less but still very high
then, is the level resulting in performance gains, a therapeutic doze
after that, there is a huge gap ending on the lower end with minimum legal concentration in beef
And finally, the barely detectable level, lod

everything i read from most experts referred to the last one in contador.

just trying to provide some perspective

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
Increased testing of cattle in the region for clen is totally an appropriate course of action and absolutely not alarmism nor. Implications for the meat industry are big enough for an investigation to make sense.
Sounds like a fool's chase to me.

python said:
there are a couple of important points i noticed that many confuse about clenbuterol contamination when referring to statistics on poisoning.

one is the concentration that adversely impacts human health, a downright poisoning, very very high doze
after that, there is a huge gap ending on the lower end with minimum legal concentration in beef

Correct. If you drink enough orange juice it too can be dangerous to your health.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
Increased testing of cattle in the region for clen is totally an appropriate course of action and absolutely not alarmism nor. Implications for the meat industry are big enough for an investigation to make sense.

It is already tested for. Increased testing based on what grounds?

Who got ill, where is the outbreak that suggests that the system in place has failed worryingly? Or even failed at all?

There is no sign here that the meat control system has failed in any public health-implication way. A "massive programme" as called for by another poster, or "increased testing across the meat-industry" (as you did), is alarmist and nonsensical for many reasons.

All the more because it would be initiated after nothing more but the claims of a perfectly healthy cyclist that he must have contracted a banned substance to those levels through eating meat.

There would have to be a whole lot more meat on the table before this case warrants an increased testing programme across the meat-industry. If there is enough for an initial investigative step, the first port of call simply would be to retrace the route of the meat from Contador to its source (and only if the meat is shown to be a cause for genuine health concern imho). It makes ever so more sense to see if there is a local problem before changing a system that appears to be functioning well enough.

I foresee the whole Contador case would dissolve itself as quick as Clen vanishes from organism. Rapidly.

Science and law are gonna be on his side, even if the steak story seems hilarious.

And concerning the platicers, well, in a such a extemaly close investigations, plasticers might come from drinking from plastic bottles, anyway there is any, any official paper that acredits the high level plasticers (I said official), even if there are, they don't prove anything.

People (we, amateurs, forum followers) tries to connect two isolated facts and create their own theory.

The Lab from Laussane says the contamination might come from the meat, and also more scientifist defend this theory.

By the way, I'm really **** off about the very low level of critics Astana is having, It seems that for many people Contador is guilty and Astana is not, as if Contador would have been transfussing his own blood giving the back to the team staff, medicians, etc.

As if Contador would have been dealing with spanish black-dressing mafia with sunglasses during the rest day, bringing to him blood bags.

If we want to fight for a clean cycling we cannot do undermining people's freedom and rights.

War against doping doesn't mean "total war" beyond democracy, and some nation-states are forgetting this.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
No, it shouldn't have passed responsibility and stepped aside after testing and getting initial A-sample reults, as WADA agrees that the UCI has a role to play in the testing and management of these results. If WADA isn't happy with the UCI's way of handling it, process, interpretation and rulings, it can go to arbitration. It isn't one OR the other, they both have roles to play, side by side. Some overlap, some are complimentary.

You appear to conclude they made decisions and blind-sided WASA whilst doing it or had an inappropriate involvement. Meanwhile WASA states it knew and it happy with how its handled. WASA happy with the UCI?

Sounds like WASA was involved at least early enough, and kept informed enough, for it to be satisfied with the way its handled, up to this point. I assume that means they didn't hear first of it after we did on this forum.

Contador states he was asked not to say anything as it wasn't a positive a such, but something that showed that needed further investigation. (I can't judge if that was an accurate statement, but if it is, it pretty much means that at that point the showing wasn't seen as a "positive" by at least some of the powers that be, if not all. Rightly or wrongly).

Meanwhile, back in October, the UCI, WASA, and various experts, including WASA's test lab director, are apparently still struggling to ascertain what happened here, and to what degree, and what level of punishment is appropriate in this particular case.

Simple? Call me funny, but I don't go with you but with them. It sure ain't simple.

Sorry - but you are confusing the role of the UCI in this.

They are not Policeman and Judge - I can understand why they kept the A sample secret (even though the did not afford the same principle to Fuyu Li) but the B sample should have been public knowledge. Also in Howmans comments he does not reveal when WADA were informed of the AAF.

The UCI do not conduct investigations - their role is simply to make sure the proper procedures were followed. Once that is done it is now the responsibility of the riders licence federation/or national anti-doping to rule.

Contador has tested positive for clenbutorol - it is that simple.
The how he came to have that in his system is the complicated part - that is up to him and not the UCI to sort out.

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
python said:

its not the positive result that bothers me the most, its the favoritism, other riders/athletes have gotten 2-year suspentions for similar offences, i really don't see why Contador should get a lower sentence

What's WASA?

The bit in bold is absolutely critical. I would like to have a convincing explanation why this particular test is not considered to be a positive .I would like to hear a convincing explanation why a governing body should suggest a course of defense for a sportsman who tested positive. I would like to hear why result management process is taking so long in this particular case. I would like to know when WADA was notified of the positive.

I am hopeful that this information will be revealed at an appropriate time.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
No, based on that table you know nada about how many reports register toxicity levels and what was consumed to attract it. You claim far more ground than your link substantiates.

What you have is a table that lists reported cases of people who had levels high enough to become ill. And if those are all reports, those that were ill and reported (and tested) mostly had consumed liver. That is correct.

But apart from that, we are all still swimming.

Because it would be highly inappropriate to spend a lot of money on a massive operation when there have been ZERO reports of illness. All we have here is a single reported trace amount that disappeared as quickly as it came, and had no health implications for the individual.

As an aside, and not suggesting that it is food contamination here: no test that is sample based will exclude the possability that a single rotten apple gets through. Period.

But inappropriate alarmism isn't gonna help either, nor the suggestion that a totally appropriate course of action by a non-involvement governmental organisation proves anything one way or the other here.

Beef is regularly tested in the EU, and the system that is in place appears to satisfy those that are responsible for public health. Again, still, no-one got even slightly ill. It appears to work well (enough).

It is a fair point that there could be many people with similar minute amounts of clenbuterol - too small to be a health risk, too tiny to create any symptoms to be concerned. The argument seems to be that even if there are no such contamination cases reported, it does not contradict Contador's argument?

A better control group is all other cyclists whose urine samples were tested by the same super-sensitive equipment. No other positives have been reported at TdF. None so far from Vuelta. But there's the case of RadioShack's Li, a small amount, deemed to be too small to gain a performance edge as well.

What's the probability that Contador was the only one who consumed contaminated meat in sufficient amount to cause the positive test? This is where I get skeptical - it's too coincidental to invent the "Spanish steak" story, two meals off the same steak, Vino not eating and no other teammates who did eat the steak not being tested. Add to that rumors about "irregularities" about Contador's blood profile, plasticides in the sample and the fact that blood boost is typically given on the rest day, it adds up enough circumstancial evidence to the physical one to be believable.

And last but not least, Contador has been heavily suspected of PED use on several occasions in the past - Operation Puerto, the incredible TT in 2009. It's similar to Armstrong - we know the guy is guilty, just the evidence nailing him was missng. In Contador's case, they now have him with a proven failed test. Changing the rules after the fact won't work. UCI may try it, but WADA would lose other athletes' faith in the system if they'd allow it.

It is already tested for. Increased testing based on what grounds?

Who got ill, where is the outbreak that suggests that the system in place has failed worryingly? Or even failed at all?

There is no sign here that the meat control system has failed in any public health-implication way. A "massive programme" as called for by another poster, or "increased testing across the meat-industry" (as you did), is alarmist and nonsensical for many reasons.

All the more because it would be initiated after nothing more but the claims of a perfectly healthy cyclist that he must have contracted a banned substance to those levels through eating meat.

There would have to be a whole lot more meat on the table before this case warrants an increased testing programme across the meat-industry. If there is enough for an initial investigative step, the first port of call simply would be to retrace the route of the meat from Contador to its source (and only if the meat is shown to be a cause for genuine health concern imho). It makes ever so more sense to see if there is a local problem before changing a system that appears to be functioning well enough.

The only think that is nonsensical is your suggestion that an investigation can only be triggered by health concern while there's an actual possibility that farmers might be contravening EU regulations on clenbuterol use in livestock. If you think that it's ok to exceed concentration limits set by EMA as long as nobody gets sick than there's zero sense in discussing the matter with you any further.

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Tubeless said:
And last but not least, Contador has been heavily suspected of PED use on several occasions in the past - Operation Puerto, the incredible TT in 2009. .

Bingo.

I've pretty much had it with pro cycling.

roundabout said:
I would like to have a convincing explanation why this particular test is not considered to be a positive .I would like to hear a convincing explanation why a governing body should suggest a course of defense for a sportsman who tested positive. I would like to hear why result management process is taking so long in this particular case. I would like to know when WADA was notified of the positive.

I am hopeful that this information will be revealed at an appropriate time.

Oh, but they do have all the information. In fact they are compiling it at the moment and when they have it ready, you are welcome to request permission to go to their North Pole office and view from 5.7 mtrs in a dark room. Unfortunately they will not be able to send you a simple copy of it or allow you to hold or photograph it... :D