• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador apologizes on youtube

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Is there anyone who can offer a better translation than the one in that video? It's a little clumsy and I don't want to read too much in to what he is saying without knowing what he actually meant.

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for the cynics... AC was being sincere. I think we are one replay from being forgiving...... replays do not show the human error, they show a single dimension right or wrong, which in my experience has never been real life. The world cup exposed this, I still think the best team won.

Jamsque said:
Is there anyone who can offer a better translation than the one in that video? It's a little clumsy and I don't want to read too much in to what he is saying without knowing what he actually meant.
(pretty hilarious acoustic guitar intro)

Hello everyone. Today I managed to get on the podium, that makes me happy. The problem with that was the circumstances. Right when I attacked Andy had a mechanical in the last climb. The race was in full gear and, well, maybe I made a mistake, I'm sorry. At a time like that all you think about is riding as fast as you can. I'm not happy, in the sense that, to me, fair play is very important. Just like I did in the Spa stage, when both Andy and Fränk were behind the pack, I didn't hesitate to stop the bunch so that they could catch up. Many people criticized me for doing that, especially after the stage on the cobbles, when the crash happened and the whole bunch split as a result, and it allowed Andy to take time on me, but I always settle it by saying I'd do it again. The kind of thing that happened today is not something I like, it's not my style and I hope my relationship with Andy will remain as good as before.

(outro)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The apology probably is sincere, but the damage is done. You can't compare stage two (where Cancellara in fact did the pace slowing) and stage three to what happened today. The big difference being Andy had the yellow jersey. To attack it when he had a mechanical problem is cheap and unethical.
And I was just starting to like Contador....

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Roadrage said:
The apology probably is sincere, but the damage is done. You can't compare stage two (where Cancellara in fact did the pace slowing) and stage three to what happened today. The big difference being Andy had the yellow jersey. To attack it when he had a mechanical problem is cheap and unethical.

Where did someone like Cancellara get so much influence on the peloton anyway? Are they that impressed by his palmares? I doubt that to be honest. I can think of a few guys in the current peloton with a better palmares then Cancellara and they would never be able to pull something like that off.

Roadrage said:

but Saxo team & Andy didn't have any problem attacking Chavannel who was wearing the MJ after having crashed, punctured, & bike changed on stage 3...
I think Andy's luck just ran out today-can't stretch it for too long...

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Where did someone like Cancellara get so much influence on the peloton anyway? Are they that impressed by his palmares? I doubt that to be honest. I can think of a few guys in the current peloton with a better palmares then Cancellara and they would never be able to pull something like that off.

I think several teams discussed it with the MJ holder. Since they were in charge of dictating the pace, they were obligated to handle the neutralization.

Sorry if you weren't really looking for a serious answer.

A

Anonymous

El Pistolero said:

Had you seen, in person, Flanders and Roubaix you would not ask.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
AC is just too nice for his own good. Do Saxo and the Schleps want the race given to them, "oh when anything happens to the poor schleps the race is neutralised, except when the younger schlep is out in front on fabians wheel then its okay"

schlecks are schleps

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
but Saxo team & Andy didn't have any problem attacking Chavannel who was wearing the MJ after having crashed, punctured, & bike changed on stage 3...

Chapeau to Contador and hope that Andy's luck improves next year.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Had you seen, in person, Flanders and Roubaix you would not ask.

I've seen them in person(Flanders at least, I don't live far away from where Cancellara attacked Tom Boonen on the Muur), but no way Tom Boonen would have been able to do something like that even if he was on a team with an important GC contender.

Let's see three times Paris-Roubaix and 2 times Flanders? Yeah.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

He (Fabian) had the yellow jersey. I should think that was obvious. With it comes some respect from the peleton and the authority to slow the field when a major accident involving multiple riders occurs. That's no rule but it means something to those of us who respect sportsmanship.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Roadrage said:
He (Fabian) had the yellow jersey. I should think that was obvious. With it comes some respect from the peleton and the authority to slow the field when a major accident involving multiple riders occurs. That's no rule but it means something to those of us who respect sportsmanship.

People really respect the yellow jersey in the first week? I'd have ordered Astana to ride a long Team Time trial if I was shouting in their earplugs, but w/e.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I would have prefered contador saying, sorry man i just had to use the opportunity to win the race.

Instead of opting for the politician's "i didn't know" "i didn't realize" etc

Specially when he knew exactly what he was doing.

But it's pretty sneaky to want to come out on top on both...

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Roadrage said:

Cancellara slowed the front of the bunch (eventually) but Contador was well behind that bunch in a smaller group and he slowed that one down immediately. They were losing time to Cancellara before the front group eventually slowed right down and it all started to come back together

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
People really respect the yellow jersey in the first week? I'd have ordered Astana to ride a long Team Time trial if I was shouting in their earplugs, but w/e.

It depends on who is wearing it. Saxo being a strong team motivated to protect the jersey until the Alps, signaled them to take control of the neutralization. I don't think it was because of Canc.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
hfer07 said:

Good point. Sometimes you get as good (or bad) as you give. (And didnt they attack Cadel when he was MJ and went down?). But some of us already knew the younger Horseface (Schlicklette) was a twerp. The disappointment comes in seeing the desperation and poor judgment of Contador. NOW he realizes he made a mistake. Or, he is simply taking too much heat . . . .

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
People should stop confusing what's being said about the incident with what Saxo & Andy are actually saying about it.

What do you mean? I've read where Riis doesn't make too much of the situation, even though I think he's gotta regret losing the tour because of it.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
I mean people saying Andy is a twerp, that Saxo are hypocrites and stuff like that.

Yeah, OK, I stand corrected. I'm not too fond of Schleck but calling him a twerp is uncalled for. But it's not about confusing anything with anything - it's just about forgetting myself for a moment. Riis et al are downplaying now because cyclists don't like to air their laundry in public.

For what it's worth I'm almost hoping, after today, that he puts the hammer down and puts Contador in difficulty.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts