• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador linked with Movistar

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
hfer07 said:
The controlling part to me is more a "clash" between personalities-both with strong ones & ambitious-perhaps Alberto has a different approach than Bjarne, since he-Contador- has gone through so much troubling situations during his career-that he might feel bothered by Riis trying to "boss" him around -when the Spaniard has already proved his qualities over and over....

Ye I was thinking that aw well. I think Cancellara was also saying something like "Bjarne always gets it his way". On the other hand I think Andy have been critizising Riis for being to absent, for not being close enough to the riders.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Cimber said:
I just posted it cos some ppl were arguing about how they thought Specialized would leave Contador as a sponsor.

That makes sense, thanks.
Sorry for my confusion.

I think Specialized will stick by Alberto. Although his performance since signing on with Specialized has been a bit below their expectations I would guess.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Polish said:
That makes sense, thanks.
Sorry for my confusion.

I think Specialized will stick by Alberto. Although his performance since signing on with Specialized has been a bit below their expectations I would guess.

I don't see that, aside clenbuterol and TAS verdict issue, he "won" Tour 2010, Giro 2011 and was 5th at Tour 2011 in a good fashion.

And he was winning races through the year.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Forunculo said:
I don't see that, aside clenbuterol and TAS verdict issue, he "won" Tour 2010, Giro 2011 and was 5th at Tour 2011 in a good fashion.

And he was winning races through the year.

C'mon, I like looking at the bright side of things as much as the next guy.
When life hands you lemonade, make some margueritas.

But Specialized is a very tough outfit. They expect excellence. 110%.
Three GT's in a year expectations. Or at least multiple TdF's wins.
Crush their evil competitor Trek. Crush them and crush them some more.
That is why they pay the big sponsorship bucks.
Crush them or Die.

Alberto has not met those expectations.
World Class Expectations.
Thats all I'm saying.

therealtimshady said:
I dont see Saxo having enough points to be on the world tour in 2013 hence contador if he goes back to Saxo won't be at the tour in 2013 as aso won't give them a wildcard

Even if they don't have enough points, could the Tour possibly turn down the team with Contador? I have my doubts.

It does raise a very interesting possibility though. Think of the awesomeness of Contador going all out in all races at the end of the year to pile on the points. 6 or 7 stages and all the jerseys at Veulta. I might even find a way to get to Quebec if Contador would be there and racing for a victory. That would be a beautiful thing to see!

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Teddy Boom said:
Even if they don't have enough points, could the Tour possibly turn down the team with Contador? I have my doubts.

!

The Team with Contador WAS banned in 2006 and 2008.
And Alberto himself is banned in 2012.
Disqualified from 2010.
Boo Booed by the fans in 2011.

Maybe Alberto should stick to the Giro and the Vuelta?
The TdF has not been very good to Alberto.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Havetts said:
Nothing to do with clinic stuff this time. I mean they already have Valverde so Contador joining them won't matter much regarding that.

Can't be personality either. All the names I listed are either arrogant or rather unpleasant characters. With the exception of Leipheimer who I genuinely think is a nice guy. Just based on interviews though, don't know the guy personally.

Teddy Boom said:
It does raise a very interesting possibility though. Think of the awesomeness of Contador going all out in all races at the end of the year to pile on the points. 6 or 7 stages and all the jerseys at Veulta. I might even find a way to get to Quebec if Contador would be there and racing for a victory. That would be a beautiful thing to see!

I just looked it up.. I'm surprised that Jerseys don't count for any points. Helps to reduce the prestige of the KoM calssification even more, which is really unfortunate.

Anyway, to the real point though. What's the sporting criteria? Best I can find is this:
the world Tour formula calculates the sporting eligibility criterion by adding the team's riders' individual points from the last two years to the team's collective points from the previous year to determine their score for this year's license.
So that makes things a bit complicated.. With the points from a Veulta win, and the 200+ points Saxo has from riders last year, I don't think they'd have any problem getting status for 2013. It is the 2012 status that they risk losing.

Anybody seriously think the Veulta would decline to invite them regardless :D

Polish said:
The Team with Contador WAS banned in 2006 and 2008.
And Alberto himself is banned in 2012.
Disqualified from 2010.
Boo Booed by the fans in 2011.

Maybe Alberto should stick to the Giro and the Vuelta?
The TdF has not been very good to Alberto.

Yes indeed, fair point, but 2006-2008 was different times I think.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Movistar would be nice...but as long as he rides, I don't care who he's with!!! I'm tired of losing all the great competition to suspensions...

Let 'em all ride! The stars still get paid, in the end, the fans suffer from lack of real, all out, competition.:D

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Teddy Boom said:

As well as going to great lengths to getting his team kicked out in 2008 (as opposed to not inviting them), they had no problem in 2011 in sticking two fingers up to Geox, with a previous winner and a podium from the previous year.

I would think it quite likely that they wouldn't invite Saxo in 2013.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
That is debatable. The rule was invented after Alberto's doping violation took place, so it shouldn't apply on him, but neither it should on Valverde.

Besides, it is against WADA's "no extra punishment" rule.

That rule is quite likely to stand up to an appeal. It's not a sanction directly against the rider. It doesn't stop them joining teams or entering races. It's just an arbitrary system for ranking teams.

Mambo95 said:
As well as going to great lengths to getting his team kicked out in 2008 (as opposed to not inviting them), they had no problem in 2011 in sticking two fingers up to Geox, with a previous winner and a podium from the previous year.

I would think it quite likely that they wouldn't invite Saxo in 2013.

Yeah it is quite likely.

Mambo95 said:
That rule is quite likely to stand up to an appeal. It's not a sanction directly against the rider. It doesn't stop them joining teams or entering races. It's just an arbitrary system for ranking teams.

It is extra punishment because the rider becomes less interesting for teams. What if it weren't Alberto Contador we are talking about. The guy would not be guaranteed a team when he comes back.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
It is extra punishment because the rider becomes less interesting for teams. What if it weren't Alberto Contador we are talking about. The guy would not be guaranteed a team when he comes back.

He's less interesting anyway because he has a tarnished reputation. And plenty of dopers couldn't get a job long before this rule came in.

It's not a sanction against the rider, it merely a rule for determining a team ranking. The rider is not directly being punished.

It may get overruled, but it's on much firmer legal footing than, for example, the British Olympic rule

Mambo95 said:
He's less interesting anyway because he has a tarnished reputation. And plenty of dopers couldn't get a job long before this rule came in.

It's not a sanction against the rider, it merely a rule for determining a team ranking. The rider is not directly being punished.

It may get overruled, but it's on much firmer legal footing than, for example, the British Olympic rule

If Alberto gets a good lawyer, he will get it overruled 99% sure. Of course the reputation of the "doper" makes him already less interesting, but the fact that he won't be able to earn points two years after makes him even less interesting. Two years is a long time, in Alberto's case that's almost to the end of his career.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Contador's brother and manager, Fran, was the first to deny the story, telling sporten.dk that “We will be in talks with Bjarne soon, and Alberto would like to continue working with him.”
Finally read the article. I think there is a high probability that this story was generated by Fran to give himself some sort of advantage in negotiations with Saxo.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Rumour has it Contador is working on setting up his own team for next season ... Team KrispyKreme. Ullrich rumoured to make comeback.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cou...lly-push-contador-away-from-riis-and-saxobank

kk_logo.png