• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador linked with Movistar

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Christian said:
Rumour has it Contador is working on setting up his own team for next season ... Team KrispyKreme. Ullrich rumoured to make comeback.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cou...lly-push-contador-away-from-riis-and-saxobank

kk_logo.png

What the f is this a parody?

maratsafin said:
there is no way Sky will take a convicted doper. especially bertie

He's convicted, but not a convicted doper. And why "especially Bertie"? They showed interest in him either in 2009 or in 2010, I don't remember. Besides, there are worse convicted "dopers" you can have in your team. Alberto = wins guaranteed, plus you have a nice guy on your team, a humble, respectful captain.

Moose McKnuckles said:
You can bet that Pinarello will do everything possible to get Contador on a Dogma at Movistar. I bet Fausto's rubbing one out in the bathroom picturing Contador on a yellow Dogma at the TdF.

I don't think Specialized is going to let him go easily. They'll hang on for dear life obviously because they didn't end the contract.

On a side note, is Specialized still paying Alberto?

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
He's convicted, but not a convicted doper. And why "especially Bertie"? They showed interest in him either in 2009 or in 2010, I don't remember. Besides, there are worse convicted "dopers" you can have in your team. Alberto = wins guaranteed, plus you have a nice guy on your team, a humble, respectful captain.

"Especially Bertie" due to the fact that he is an incredibly high profile doping case.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
You can bet that Pinarello will do everything possible to get Contador on a Dogma at Movistar. I bet Fausto's rubbing one out in the bathroom picturing Contador on a yellow Dogma at the TdF.

Pinarello had a great run of 7 TdF in a row with BigMig, Bjarne, and Jan.
Although I think Dario was involved too. ReachAround with Fausto?
Wonder Streak interupted by Bianchi before Trek began their domination.
Great Races. Good Times

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Bjarne knows how the game is played you know.

He was, after all, the person working with Alberto behind the back of Astana/Martinelli during the 2010 TdF. Sneaky.

What goes around comes around.
Round and round. Like a donut.

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Maxiton said:
Finally read the article. I think there is a high probability that this story was generated by Fran to give himself some sort of advantage in negotiations with Saxo.

Or Bjarne made the story himself. Contador may mean a lot to Riis and Saxobank right now. But his not worth a relegation from the world tour, thats for sure.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:

No they won't. They've currently got the World Champion, the fastest man in cycling on a Dogma. And he's more charismatic than Contador. Why spend money on a tarnished reputation when you already have a superstar?

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Cavendish is a nice little side show, but we are talking GT winners here. Circus clowns versus the real deal.

Fastest man on two wheels vs drug cheat - that's how it looks to most people.

Mambo95 said:
Fastest man on two wheels vs drug cheat - that's how it looks to most people.

perhaps, but in the end buyers want to emulate GT winners, not 10s side shows. It has always been that way and it will likely continue to be like that.

Coppi
Anguetil
Merckx
Hinault
Indurain
Armstrong

Contadors fans will continue to buy whatever bike the guy is riding (if they have the cash available).

Mambo95 said:
No they won't. They've currently got the World Champion, the fastest man in cycling on a Dogma. And he's more charismatic than Contador. Why spend money on a tarnished reputation when you already have a superstar?

They also know, however, that having Cavendish AND Contador would be even better. Maybe it costs money, but it will probably shift enough bikes to level up.

The big question really is not on the Sky side of things, but more that they already have a Spanish superstar with shady history riding one of their bikes, and is Contador's global reach relative to Valverde's enough to justify the expenditure given that they already cover the base of Contador's national market.

That said, I prefer the bike in Movistar's colours. Something about the Sky colours just doesn't sit right with me. I preferred it in Caisse d'Epargne's colours over either of them though. Cavendish's bike is great however - straightforward black with the little touch of rainbow bands - simple, elegant and classy.

I dislike the boring, corporate, soulless Team Sky kits, but there's one thing they have got to be commended for, and that's that their national and world champion kits have been pure class.