• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador taking or have taken lie-detecting test?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Yep, he's going down. That is, unless the folks at CAS can be bought.

While I agree that he is likely to get some sort of a ban it disgusts me when ppl draw their own conslusion to such an extend that the message becomes "either CAS rules according to my belief or they are all corrupted". We dont have full insight in the case, so I urge ppl to calm down and accept the verdict even in the unlikely case that he becomes aquitted

Cimber said:
While I agree that he is likely to get some sort of a ban it disgusts me when ppl draw their own conslusion to such an extend that the message becomes "either CAS rules according to my belief or they are all corrupted". We dont have full insight in the case, so I urge ppl to calm down and accept the verdict even in the unlikely case that he becomes aquitted

The verdict will be based on "probability." Blood doping versus contaminated Spanish meat. If that's the case, then Contador shouldn't stand a chance, even if you assume, for argument's sake, that the man is innocent. It should be obvious by now that his defense can't prove the contaminated meat story.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
It's .25 percent, not 3, as per Contador's atty:

"We showed that the testing for clenbuterol [in livestock] is not infallible in Europe," Ramos told The Independent.
"There is a European Union norm - 96/23/CE, dating from 1996 - which states that only 0.25 per cent of cattle should be tested for clenbuterol. So 99.75 per cent are not."
"During the very same period the Spanish Ministry of Agriculture says that there have been no positives for clenbuterol in [Spanish] cattle. But we've shown that the police have gone on arresting people for using clenbuterol and other banned substances in their livestock."

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...lawyer-explains-u-turn-over-proposed-ban.html

Woops, my bad. I'm sorry.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
The verdict will be based on "probability." Blood doping versus contaminated Spanish meat. If that's the case, then Contador shouldn't stand a chance, even if you assume, for argument's sake, that the man is innocent. It should be obvious by now that his defense can't prove the contaminated meat story.

They don't need to prove their explanation, they need to prove it is the most likely explanation. Which basically means more likely than the transfusion theory.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
They don't need to prove their explanation, they need to prove it is the most likely explanation. Which basically more likely than the transfusion theory.

Better check the history of cycling and the history of the tours winners since 1991*, doping. So when did Contador 'climb' in performance above dping to beat them to the most prestige event in cyclings calendar.

Stop shaking the maracs for a guy who is a doper and his history points to it without the clen positive.

*Doping has gone hand in hand with cycling, but the 90's changed everything with epo doping and blood doping. It appears it hasn't stopped, according to the recent Fuentes cases and Armstrong's recent links to Ferarri not to mention the blood passport being used to monitor athletes.

Benotti69 said:
Better check the history of cycling and the history of the tours winners since 1991*, doping. So when did Contador 'climb' in performance above dping to beat them to the most prestige event in cyclings calendar.

Stop shaking the maracs for a guy who is a doper and his history points to it without the clen positive.

*Doping has gone hand in hand with cycling, but the 90's changed everything with epo doping and blood doping. It appears it hasn't stopped, according to the recent Fuentes cases and Armstrong's recent links to Ferarri not to mention the blood passport being used to monitor athletes.

My bad, I forgot a word. It was supposed to be "Which basically means". I'm off to edit my post...

LaFlorecita said:
They don't need to prove their explanation, they need to prove it is the most likely explanation. Which basically means more likely than the transfusion theory.

True, but I don't see how that would be possible without proof. A blood transfusion will always be the most likely explanation considering the fact that it didn't happen in, say, Mexico or China.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
True, but I don't see how that would be possible without proof. A blood transfusion will always be the most likely explanation considering the fact that it didn't happen in, say, Mexico or China.

I don't know how they're going to do it, but they do seem quite certain they can convince CAS of their theory.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Yep, he's going down. That is, unless the folks at CAS can be bought.

Silly statement. Contador can be acquitted for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is a failure to meet probabilistic standards on the part of WADA. I'm not saying the guy's never doped, but his acquittal would not be ipso facto evidence of corruption at the CAS.

Something to consider... Or not.

Contador’s defense has pushed the inadvertent positive claim successfully. But in its hearing before the Spanish cycling federation, they never presented evidence that meets the threshold for that claim.

To pursue a no-fault-or-negligence argument, an athlete must prove not only that inadvertent ingestion was possible but also how it came to be – that is, you have to show that it was the only plausible cause. Then, and only then, can you argue for a reduced ban or no ban.

Someone might want to tell Contador’s attorney about this, since Gorka Villar told El Pais, “If the arbitrators believe your thesis has a 51 percent chance of having happened, you’ve won.”

No, Gorka, the phrase is “comfortable satisfaction of the panel,” (PDF: Rule 10.4, page 55) which is defined to be somewhere between a mere probability and no reasonable doubt.

http://bicycling.com/blogs/boulderreport/2011/11/14/contadors-kitchen-sink-defense/

18-Valve. (pithy) said:

This is a weird thing, the athlete actually has to prove that he is NOT doping? i always thought that the prosecutor had to prove that he DID use doping, am i correct?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
This is a weird thing, the athlete actually has to prove that he is NOT doping? i always thought that the prosecutor had to prove that he DID use doping, am i correct?

When it comes to positive tests, then it is much the same as in a DUI.

The authorities show that an 'illegal' substance has been found, they have to make sure that all parts of the test will stand up to scrutiny - when that is satisfies the onus then shifts on the accused to show how that substance was found in that sample.

Vino attacks everyone said:

My understanding is this is an appeal, not a new procedure. So you are left with the 'evidence' used in the Spanish cycling federation's procedure. This works great for everyone but anti-doping interests.

CAS is a blessing. The UCI gets to look tough appealing the positive while to the people that matter, ASO/Pat/Team Contador know everything is stacked in their favor.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
My understanding is this is an appeal, not a new procedure. So you are left with the 'evidence' used in the Spanish cycling federation's procedure. This works great for everyone but anti-doping interests.

CAS is a blessing. The UCI gets to look tough appealing the positive while to the people that matter, ASO/Pat/Team Contador know everything is stacked in their favor.

indeed, this sounds like the most realistic assessment of the state of affairs.

danjo007 said:
spaniards cheat & spaniards defend spaniards.

C'mon now. Let's be fair. This is professional sports with the IOC providing an invisible hand of PED tollerance.

If it ever came to pass that a guy like Horner got a positive, USAC would cover for him. Weisel/Johnson/Armstrong (AKA USACDF) would do their level best to make a positive go away. I can't speak for other federations.

Within the UCI, there's the double secret popularity contest too. A guy like Li Fu Yu(sp?) vanishes from the peloton within a week of a Clenbuterol positive and Contador's case winds on and on...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts