• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

Page 92 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
We found him! :surprised:

2rf3pxj.jpg

So the UCI prom will be held in Egypt this year? And Cookie will wear this outfit to one-up Sagan?

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Valverde, Gilbert, Sagan, LOL. Great to see that clean cycling is flourishing again since Cookson took over. All that hard work is really paying off. Big time.

Re:

rainman said:
Valverde, Gilbert, Sagan, LOL. Great to see that clean cycling is flourishing again since Cookson took over. All that hard work is really paying off. Big time.
I don't understand this comment, so could someone please help. I get the irony part, the airquotes-clean-airquotes cycling, it's actually not airquotes-clean-airquotes cycling at all, it's doped cycling. But the logic here appears to be winners (Valverde, Gilbert, Sagan, this LOL guy) equal dopers (Valverde, Gilbert, Sagan, this LOL guy) . But we had winners in cycling before Cookson, or at least I'm pretty sure we did. Or did we just have loads of bike races which no one won?

(This LOL guy, I'm getting confused with all the LRP and G/GT etc TLAing going on, so soz that I don't immediately know who's being talked about.)

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

fmk_RoI said:
rainman said:
I don't understand this comment, so could someone please help. I get the irony part, the airquotes-clean-airquotes cycling, it's actually not airquotes-clean-airquotes cycling at all, it's doped cycling. But the logic here appears to be winners (Valverde, Gilbert, Sagan, this LOL guy) equal dopers (Valverde, Gilbert, Sagan, this LOL guy) . But we had winners in cycling before Cookson, or at least I'm pretty sure we did. Or did we just have loads of bike races which no one won?

(This LOL guy, I'm getting confused with all the LRP and G/GT etc TLAing going on, so soz that I don't immediately know who's being talked about.)

Winners used to be winners until we were told they were losers so the losers were the winners before we were told that the winners were winners again yay happyface but now the winners are losers again and it's all gone boo sadface

I think LOL is slang for the Frenchies

Re:

rainman said:
We have to be witnessing the most obvious outrageous doping since the early days of EPO. Its on Cooksons watch, so what is going on?
Why do we have to be witnessing the most obvious outrageous doping since the early days of EPO? I don't think we are witnessing clean cycling but I don't see it as being the most obvious outrageous doping since ever.

Dan2016 said:
fmk_RoI said:
rainman said:

Winners used to be winners until we were told they were losers so the losers were the winners before we were told that the winners were winners again yay happyface but now the winners are losers again and it's all gone boo sadface

I think LOL is slang for the Frenchies
You are Sir Humphrey and I claim my five euro.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

rainman said:
We have to be witnessing the most obvious outrageous doping since the early days of EPO. Its on Cooksons watch, so what is going on?

It was ever thus. Why spend money on testing and policing the sport when it can squirrelled away into bank accounts.

Motors, what motors, it is nice in the middle east during late winter early spring.............

plus ca change. (that is French Fmk ;) )

http://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/39604454
The head of cycling's world governing body Brian Cookson says he did nothing to be "ashamed of or concerned about" during his tenure at British Cycling.
He also confirmed that he will not ask government funding body UK Sport - which contributed £77,000 to his election bid in 2013 - to finance his attempt this time.

"British Cycling will be supporting me in a modest way and I think that's normal," he said.

They're all coming out of the woodwork before this report is released ...

Re:

Robert5091 said:
http://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/39604454
The head of cycling's world governing body Brian Cookson says he did nothing to be "ashamed of or concerned about" during his tenure at British Cycling.
He also confirmed that he will not ask government funding body UK Sport - which contributed £77,000 to his election bid in 2013 - to finance his attempt this time.

"British Cycling will be supporting me in a modest way and I think that's normal," he said.

They're all coming out of the woodwork before this report is released ...

He has to be the biggest fraud in history. He is completely useless.

One of the allegations contained in the draft report had already been made public by UK Sport chief executive Liz Nicholl. Namely, the accusation that British Cycling ‘covered up’ an internal review in 2012. Cookson declined to comment on that. “I think there are too many people commenting on a piece of work that is ongoing,” he said. “I think some of the things that I’ve read, that people have leaked and so on, have been unfair and unbalanced.”

Asked whether he felt the controversy might affect his chances of re-election – a rival has not yet officially declared an intention to stand against him on Sept 21 – Cookson said he did not think so.

“The voters around the world will base their assessment of my competence during my four years as president of the UCI,” he said.

“I’m happy to stand on that record. I’m happy to stand by my record as president of British Cycling as well. I have not done anything at British Cycling that I am ashamed of or that I’m concerned about.

“I would reject the description of ‘dysfunctional’ [leadership]. I think that it was, and still is, an organisation that evolves and changes, as all organisations need to do. I think any more than that I shouldn’t really say until we see the final result of the report.”

"Asked whether he felt the controversy might affect his chances of re-election – a rival has not yet officially declared an intention to stand against him on Sept 21 – Cookson said he did not think so."

No rival, no problem. Maybe Michael Moore's ficus should stand against him. :(

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

veganrob said:
Jeez, Pro cycling is in a downward spiral and Cookson is not doing anything to stop it and seems to be aiding the demise. Can it survive another term from him. I wonder now.

I think UCI Presidents look on the position as a stepping stone to the big table of the IOC were serious brown envelopes are won.

I think it will be impossible for the sport to grow. The motors thing will get bigger. Most people who dont follow cycling think they all dope. Soon they will think they all use hidden motors. The sport is in decline.

Benotti69 said:
veganrob said:
Jeez, Pro cycling is in a downward spiral and Cookson is not doing anything to stop it and seems to be aiding the demise. Can it survive another term from him. I wonder now.

I think UCI Presidents look on the position as a stepping stone to the big table of the IOC were serious brown envelopes are won.

I think it will be impossible for the sport to grow. The motors thing will get bigger. Most people who dont follow cycling think they all dope. Soon they will think they all use hidden motors. The sport is in decline.

Look, there doesn't need to be brown envelopes. The smart ones realise that you can earn good money in a tax friendly country, free accommodation, a travel budget and endless parties and dinners. You never spend money again. Look at John Coates in Australia. He's on $700,000 per year for doing what exactly?

Cookson is destined for the same. He tried to use McQuaid at the continued promise of re-election but his CIRC report only turned up how dodgy Sky was rather than McQuaid so he buried the report without doing anything with it.

Australian Olympic Committee president John Coates received a $40,000 pay rise last year, part of $300,000 in extra remuneration for senior AOC figures.

The figures contained in the 2016 AOC annual report, made public late on Wednesday afternoon, will be ammunition for Danni Roche who will challenge Coates for the presidency at the AOC’s AGM on 6 May.

While Coates’ pay rise is far from unprecedented in an Olympic year – the AOC’s 2012 report showed it rose by more than $100,000 – Roche’s challenge makes it a sensitive issue.

Coates’ AOC wage went up from $675,000 in 2015 to $715,000. Overall, the remuneration for the three AOC executive members – Coates, Kitty Chiller and Ian Chesterman – and management went up from $2,024,421 to $2,349,427.

One of the key points on Roche’s election platform is that she proposes slashing the president’s salary package to $100,000 per year. Roche would also waive that salary if she became president.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site

Benotti69 said:
veganrob said:

Agree with both posts above. They look for new sponsorship by going global into new countries and fanbases, but that only holds for so long. They badly need to stop pissing on the traditional cycling countries and longtime loyal fans. This cannot happen with obvious ridiculousness like Dawg and Sky's new GeeeeeeeeeTeeee man coming to a Giro near you.

--

Gonna freebie edit this article. The original quote from BBC:

Should read:
The useless figurehead of cycling's world governing body Brian Cookson says he did nothing during his tenure at British Cycling.

:cool:

thehog said:
Benotti69 said:
veganrob said:

Look, there doesn't need to be brown envelopes. The smart ones realise that you can earn good money in a tax friendly country, free accommodation, a travel budget and endless parties and dinners. You never spend money again. Look at John Coates in Australia. He's on $700,000 per year for doing what exactly?

Cookson is destined for the same. He tried to use McQuaid at the continued promise of re-election but his CIRC report only turned up how dodgy Sky was rather than McQuaid so he buried the report without doing anything with it.

Australian Olympic Committee president John Coates received a $40,000 pay rise last year, part of $300,000 in extra remuneration for senior AOC figures.

The figures contained in the 2016 AOC annual report, made public late on Wednesday afternoon, will be ammunition for Danni Roche who will challenge Coates for the presidency at the AOC’s AGM on 6 May.

While Coates’ pay rise is far from unprecedented in an Olympic year – the AOC’s 2012 report showed it rose by more than $100,000 – Roche’s challenge makes it a sensitive issue.

Coates’ AOC wage went up from $675,000 in 2015 to $715,000. Overall, the remuneration for the three AOC executive members – Coates, Kitty Chiller and Ian Chesterman – and management went up from $2,024,421 to $2,349,427.

One of the key points on Roche’s election platform is that she proposes slashing the president’s salary package to $100,000 per year. Roche would also waive that salary if she became president.

John Coates is just about the most powerful sporting administrator in Australia, so will prove hard to dislodge - Danni Roche has little chance of toppling Coates but is being put up as a candidate to weaken Coates power-base - Have no doubt a stronger candidate will nominate in future years - The big issue is the fight between Coates head of the Australian Olympic Committee, vice-president of the IOC, and head of CAS, versus against the Government appointed John Wylie head of the Australian Sports Commission - The ASC has a big say in the funding of Olympic Sports and mass participation in sport - The gloves have come up in this stoush, which is very much marked out on political leanings, and the old school tie way of doing business - Coates is hopelessly conflicted and the sooner he is out of sport the better.

“The voters around the world will base their assessment of my competence during my four years as president of the UCI,”.

That quote from Cookson is laughable. If it was based on competence then the guy would be run out the door, in fact he would have been deposed a long time ago. However since the vote is largely based on lobbying, politicking, PR and finance then Cookson bizarrely has a good chance of returning despite being an utterly useless leader.

He deals with every major issue by proactively doing nothing. Ignoring the problem and burying his head in the sand. Since he is answerable to no-one it appears his position is bomb proof. I'm not even sure that a damning report into administration, practices and doping at BC and his friends at sky can scupper his chances of re-election completely.

ontheroad said:
“The voters around the world will base their assessment of my competence during my four years as president of the UCI,”.

That quote from Cookson is laughable. If it was based on competence then the guy would be run out the door, in fact he would have been deposed a long time ago. However since the vote is largely based on lobbying, politicking, PR and finance then Cookson bizarrely has a good chance of returning despite being an utterly useless leader.

He deals with every major issue by proactively doing nothing. Ignoring the problem and burying his head in the sand. Since he is answerable to no-one it appears his position is bomb proof. I'm not even sure that a damning report into administration, practices and doping at BC and his friends at sky can scupper his chances of re-election completely.

Fully agree with this assesment. Cookson has an advantage over any challenger by the fact that he can travel the world at the UCIs expense and lobby for votes. He can also use UCI money to provide grants to developing cycling nations in return for votes. Any challengers to the position have to do so on their own money. It's unlikely that Cookson will lose the election based on his. And as ever he will continue to do nothing and have the UCI run by the non-elected Martin Gibbs.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Here's Brian getting all hot and sweaty over his Sky gear and staying in the same hotel as his heros :cool:

What a total waste of space he is.... total loser.

mv2p6q.jpg

This guy is a walking conflict of interest. Even McQuaid would blush at this. Could you imagine any other major sport having their head/commissioner as an unabashed fanboy of one team?

TRENDING THREADS