• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 411 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Vaccine comparative observational study:

-separating the data demonstrates that mRNA vaccines (especially Moderna*) had low statistically significant events beyond expected.
*strange ADEM blip on first does though. From the analysis "however, the number of cases of this rare event were small and the confidence interval wide, so results should be interpreted with caution and confirmed in future studies."

--Cardio events where more significant, but still lower than infection (<10 per million vs. 40).

Over Christmas my husband got sick (he is still cancer free). When he finally went to the doctor, flu, covid and strep test all negative. He had pneumonia. Go figure. I have a nice cold. Both of us are recovering. When he was diagnosed with pneumonia all I could do was shake my head.

For those on here who are sick, get well soon.
I'm glad that your husband is still cancer free!

Both of you get well!

• Love
Reactions: Koronin
Vaccine comparative observational study:

-separating the data demonstrates that mRNA vaccines (especially Moderna*) had low statistically significant events beyond expected.
*strange ADEM blip on first does though. From the analysis "however, the number of cases of this rare event were small and the confidence interval wide, so results should be interpreted with caution and confirmed in future studies."

--Cardio events where more significant, but still lower than infection (<10 per million vs. 40).
In my opinion it's sort of important for public health services to spend lots of time and money on propaganda. In my lifetime I never experienced anything about vaccines or vaccination as a child, adult, civilian and military member. Almost overnight because of Covid, all types of vaccinations are declining and people and the press are piling on, some tiny numbers for extreme side effects, really bad outcomes and that's the lions share of public info on vaccines.. Super dangerous that especially children are suddenly at risk of being stricken by things that were assumed gone in the US. Travis Kelce is a start wearing a colored band aid and a stupid grin.. Sure it helps, absolutely but the positive propaganda is definitely losing to.. your kid gets autism from a polio or flu ,measles vaccine.. That's my take..

Over Christmas my husband got sick (he is still cancer free). When he finally went to the doctor, flu, covid and strep test all negative. He had pneumonia. Go figure. I have a nice cold. Both of us are recovering. When he was diagnosed with pneumonia all I could do was shake my head.

For those on here who are sick, get well soon.
Some of the healthiest people get susceptible to pneumonia from my experience. Most keep on going even though they get a deep cough until it gets full blown.
My wife and several friends/racers were always too motivated to stop themselves. Hope your man shakes it, quickly!

Heartbreaking!!

• Sad
Reactions: jmdirt
Circling back around to this: I would contend that "its time to stop using the term long covid" is a psychology conclusion not a virology one. Just because other long term (respiratory) viral complications haven't been specifically named (long flu, long cold...) isn't justification to stop using the term long covid. In fact, if anything, it is justification to start calling the others long_______ . If Gerrard prefers, for general consumption we could refer to them collectively: long virus.

"Prof Jeremy Nicholson, the director of the Australian National Phenome Centre at Murdoch University, said the question of whether long Covid is unique “cannot be simply answered in this work”.

“The study is observational, based on reported symptoms with no physiological or detailed functional follow-up data. Without laboratory pathophysiological assessment of individual patients, it is impossible to say that this is indistinguishable from flu-related or any other post-viral syndrome,” Nicholson said." (ED: ~5K people)

"In a press conference on Friday, Gerrard said: “I want to make it clear that the symptoms that some patients described after having Covid-19 are real, and we believe they are real. What we are saying is that the incidence of these symptoms is no greater in Covid-19 than it is with other respiratory viruses, and that to use this term ‘long Covid’ is misleading and I believe harmful.”

I'm curious how this paper is being received, how peer reviews will respond, and how it will be discussed at the health congress.

Last edited:
Reactions: movingtarget
Circling back around to this: I would contend that "its time to stop using the term long covid" is a psychology conclusion not a virology one. Just because other long term (respiratory) viral complications haven't been specifically named (long flu, long cold...) isn't justification to stop using the term long covid. In fact, if anything, it is justification to start calling the others long_______ . If Gerrard prefers, for general consumption we could refer to them collectively: long virus.

"Prof Jeremy Nicholson, the director of the Australian National Phenome Centre at Murdoch University, said the question of whether long Covid is unique “cannot be simply answered in this work”.

“The study is observational, based on reported symptoms with no physiological or detailed functional follow-up data. Without laboratory pathophysiological assessment of individual patients, it is impossible to say that this is indistinguishable from flu-related or any other post-viral syndrome,”hi Nicholson said." (ED: ~5K people)

"In a press conference on Friday, Gerrard said: “I want to make it clear that the symptoms that some patients described after having Covid-19 are real, and we believe they are real. What we are saying is that the incidence of these symptoms is no greater in Covid-19 than it is with other respiratory viruses, and that to use this term ‘long Covid’ is misleading and I believe harmful.”

I'm curious how this paper is being received, how peer reviews will respond, and how it will be discussed at the health congress.
So I have had flu,bronchitis, colds,pneumonia, tonsillitis and a bunch of other infections and problems and maybe wrongly so, I feel that I recover to a condition as good or better than before becoming ill. I have not asked anyone having Covid if they feel the same. What is the harm in using long Covid as a description for ongoing issues?