• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 149 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Does anybody read articles from Elemental? Here is an example article:
Their articles come up on Flipboard fairly frequently, and I like the way that they are factual yet easy to read so I can share them with people who aren't interested is a science journal read. Obviously simplifying to make an easier read can leave out important details, but like the article above it gives most of the 'need to know'.

Someone I know (one of the managers of a local grocery store) told me that it's the friction of rubbing the hands together that helps to get the virus off your hands. She did start nursing school, and that's one of the few things that has stayed with her. She switched her major because part way through she realized nursing wasn't for her. Having soap is still better, but the friction does help.
I am non scientifically supplementing wipes a additional alcohol because many of the products I have been able to buy are very multiple purpose,for wiping babies,or make up or..the deuce. I don't like wipes that leave lots of smoothness..slippery feeling,but my hands currently are not getting raw from washing. Others I work w need a mild formula and are all complaining.
Again non science solution,ride bikes and motorcycles without gloves for @25+ hours a week to toughen up the hands.
Home Depot sells stuff called https://www.bing.com

Reactions: jmdirt
Vice President Pense to meet for a federal report overview on Civic-nursing home issues,not expected to issue any guidelines because it is probably still too early in the pandemic for a panic response.

As an Australian living in Victoria, those Spanish and French numbers seem pretty crazy. Reading the article, it seems that bars are, or at least have recently been open? In Victoria we are averaging under 50 cases (not deaths) a day for the last fortnight, but no bars/cafes are open (except some are for take away).

As an Australian living in Victoria, those Spanish and French numbers seem pretty crazy. Reading the article, it seems that bars are, or at least have recently been open? In Victoria we are averaging under 50 cases (not deaths) a day for the last fortnight, but no bars/cafes are open (except some are for take away).
Yeah Europe has opened up for limited tourism but there are already problems. Canada was having issues with strip clubs. Not sure why they would be open. Gyms will continue to be a problem you would think.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
If you are American you should be worried..@4-of top 10 U.S. Government officials contradicting each other and if we have not suffered enough..going over @200k dead and we are still arguing over masks!!
officials and scientists saying one thing about vaccines,political leaders saying something completely different..
And all the while..drops in public confidence..scary stuff, only for this specific ailment but Americans taking on a third world attitude about medicine,science and health care professionals..

If you are American you should be worried..@4-of top 10 U.S. Government officials contradicting each other and if we have not suffered enough..going over @200k dead and we are still arguing over masks!!
officials and scientists saying one thing about vaccines,political leaders saying something completely different..
And all the while..drops in public confidence..scary stuff, only for this specific ailment but Americans taking on a third world attitude about medicine,science and health care professionals..

We're done for. No matter how you look at it and in several ways.

We're done for. No matter how you look at it and in several ways.
I stopped being surprised by American news stories long ago. At the moment the USA seems to be at a cultural crossroads. Who knows what it will look like in ten or 20 years. China and Russia watch on with some bemusement like the rest of the world and then fan the flames when they see an opportunity. But at the moment politics in the USA doesn't seem to need much outside help to make a mess of things unfortunately. Not that a lot of other countries are much better of course but it does make you wonder where the world is heading to in the next few decades if the USA is supposed to be the world leader or one of them. The fact that the best two candidates to lead the most powerful country in the world are Trump and Biden is almost comical not to mention unsettling. The handling of the pandemic in the USA at the national level doesn't inspire hope.

I stopped being surprised by American news stories long ago. At the moment the USA seems to be at a cultural crossroads. Who knows what it will look like in ten or 20 years. China and Russia watch on with some bemusement like the rest of the world and then fan the flames when they see an opportunity. But at the moment politics in the USA doesn't seem to need much outside help to make a mess of things unfortunately. Not that a lot of other countries are much better of course but it does make you wonder where the world is heading to in the next few decades if the USA is supposed to be the world leader or one of them. The fact that the best two candidates to lead the most powerful country in the world are Trump and Biden is almost comical not to mention unsettling. The handling of the pandemic in the USA at the national level doesn't inspire hope.
We've reaped what we've sown in the US so maybe there's hope elsewhere. When our election financing allowed serious corporate money, combined with a Supreme Court ruling acknowledging the corporations, PACs....have the same donation rights to election campaigns ( including zero disclosure on huge donations) the PR machine was given the best PEDs you can imagine. Combined with social media, stupid/dumb fu*k voters that mistake random websites with any semblance of truth and you get what the UK will continue to endure, what Poland and other countries will do to themselves to close out elections. It's all about labelling an "other" and polarizing any issue that doesn't serve each political party's needs. People dying is now judged like smaller conflicts or wars as collateral damage. All of these political hacks will never acknowledge they've spent us into 1973's economy.
Get some strong bud and a comfortable beanbag chair, kids. There's going to be a lot of fu*k-all going on for your job prospects for about 4 years with zero interest rates and the political polarization. If history is any indicator; that's the BEST you can hope for.

The thing is though, what dumb ars listens to politicians for medical advice? Unfortunately, I know the answer is too many.
" My wife just had a hart attack, quick call our senator."

dt's/admin. stupidity certainly makes me a little worried about what might get pumped out early, but I'm hoping that the medical experts can keep us 'in the know'.

Dirt my fear is not that Americans are dumb,after my years in the Navy, being involuntarily mixed with people from everywhere,my years travelling racing,were people gave me everything for nothing,food,shelter,encouragement,drink at a minimum,and now my camping both on and off the motorcycle..I have faith that our country is not overpopulated with bone heads..the internet illuminating the idiots is not great.
I fear the myopic mindless behavior from the top down. First on what the virus is, saying it is like acid..if you walk near it or touch it you are toast..therefore like alcohol or drug scare message campaigns..the public doesn't understand who is in danger and how,to this day.
The idea that people can say,I am willing to kill your grandparents or chubby neighbor because I want my frapachinno is ugly,but it's our reality.
The dangerous and dumb message from the federal government that masks and social distancing are for sissy boys,non patriots is wrong.
The messaging that everything is over,simply ignoring that the virus exists,this messaging from the top U.S.official and down has killed 1000's unnecessarily..the equivalent to a rogue group promoting family vacations to Chernobyl..but that is what our federal government has done,before day one was officially announced to present day,the virus is not a threat no need to keep your guard up. F-ing stupid.
We now need to step back and look deeper and harder at the ethics questions ugly American is going to take on a meaning 10 times worse than before,instead of a gut,cargo shorts and crocks, we may cross a bridge too far if we hoard and act ultra national and selfish if and when a vaccine is produced. Our foreshadowing of non participation in global efforts is probably a predictor of future ugliness
not a majority of Americans,but a schithead, factor large enough to form a lasting world opinion about what America,Americans are about

I stopped at the store on the way to work this AM, and there was a lady with no mask. She was what I believe is called 'high maintenance' (a lot of make up and hair products) so a mask would obviously mess up all of that prep. As if no mask isn't bad enough, she sneezed three times without covering her nose/mouth. Even pre-Covid19 don't polite people cover their face when they sneeze?!

The checker looked back at me and said, "I'll help you over at customer service while we clean up the snot that she just spit all over the place."

• Wow
Reactions: movingtarget
I stopped at the store on the way to work this AM, and there was a lady with no mask. She was what I believe is called 'high maintenance' (a lot of make up and hair products) so a mask would obviously mess up all of that prep. As if no mask isn't bad enough, she sneezed three times without covering her nose/mouth. Even pre-Covid19 don't polite people cover their face when they sneeze?!

The checker looked back at me and said, "I'll help you over at customer service while we clean up the snot that she just spit all over the place."
Dirt, you need to acknowledge a few of life's realities..
The light at the end of the tunnel..it's often an oncoming train.
if people are on a path of self destruction,step out of their way,why should you impede stupid.
In East county San Diego,there are 1000's of maskless, lots wearing flat brim ball caps that are the modern day dunce cap..I go to a variety of places..and I have heard w my own ears, more than @6 times, different ages,different sexes,people say out loud " when the election is over the virus will go away " or something to that effect.
This is not a war only against the virus,it's a war of American terror,our own people,fellow citizens killing each other over bean burritos,cups of coffee,donuts, getting gas..we have arrived at a place,a critical mass,were a measurable percentage of Americans say what they want,not need is more important than another person's life. If Covid has done anything it's put us on an evolutionary fast track, Like touching a hot stove, stopping to check traffic before crossing, these reactions to the virus and each other will become part of our DNA.. Covid ignorance is the new American cleft palate..and research shows can be overcome @98% of the time w vitamins that cost @$10 bucks..
200,000 dead and we are engaged in mask madness..truly insane.

There are a lot of caveats with this graph, but this is one big reason why scientists are being cautious with COVID-19.

View: https://twitter.com/thehowie/status/1308376432868028419

There is one point of reference - the southern hemisphere's recent winter. I'm not up on south America and southern Africa, however looking at Australia - apart from the state of Victoria (especially in Melbourne), other states did well. NSW has similar temps to Victoria, SA has, I think no cases at all, WA is pretty vast from colder down south to hotter up north, I think it's been reasonably ok, but don't quote me on that.... and of course Queensland and the NT aren't as cold, though they don't have much going on anyway.

Victoria seemed to spiral due to people being or becoming apathetic and doing things like skipping quarantine and other stuff. After weeks of lockdown in that state the numbers have improved a lot.

Also of note - cities in North America and Europe, etc that get snow and regular sub-zero temps definitely get a lot colder than cities in Australia, where the only snow that stays on the ground for more than a day or so (after the occasional fall) is in the southern mountains.

I'll be interested to see how Japan fares. Tokyo daily numbers have lately been between a hundred and something to two hundred and something, with serious cases hovering around the 22 mark (though that could be the national number, not sure).

Last week Tokyo gvt lifted the request to stop serving alcohol by 10pm which had been in place since August, and schools finally went back recently too, and they're considering allowing larger numbers at events (though not unlimited numbers). Let's see if the numbers go up further.

Dirt, you need to acknowledge a few of life's realities..
The light at the end of the tunnel..it's often an oncoming train.
if people are on a path of self destruction,step out of their way,why should you impede stupid.
In East county San Diego,there are 1000's of maskless, lots wearing flat brim ball caps that are the modern day dunce cap..I go to a variety of places..and I have heard w my own ears, more than @6 times, different ages,different sexes,people say out loud " when the election is over the virus will go away " or something to that effect.
This is not a war only against the virus,it's a war of American terror,our own people,fellow citizens killing each other over bean burritos,cups of coffee,donuts, getting gas..we have arrived at a place,a critical mass,were a measurable percentage of Americans say what they want,not need is more important than another person's life. If Covid has done anything it's put us on an evolutionary fast track, Like touching a hot stove, stopping to check traffic before crossing, these reactions to the virus and each other will become part of our DNA.. Covid ignorance is the new American cleft palate..and research shows can be overcome @98% of the time w vitamins that cost @$10 bucks..
200,000 dead and we are engaged in mask madness..truly insane.
You know the old math cliché "50% of the people are below average"? C19 has shown that be be real, not just a joke.

Reactions: djpbaltimore

TRENDING THREADS