• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 158 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Adults now showing up with the symptoms some children have shown. I posted this in the cycling coronavirus thread too because it talks about how antibody tests can pick up these symptoms while PCR tests don't. Could this explain some of the false positives / false negatives?

Prime minister of Slovakia has press conference right know. Slovakia ordered 13 milions od antigen tests and they plan to test whole country on the weekend two weeks since now. And then next week again if I got it correctly. It will be like elections and army should do it. It is not known yet if this will be mandatory or optional. I think it is really interesting and potentially this could be big punch to corona face if it is done correctly. I know for SURE I will go if it is optional. The worst thing will be I am 14 days home if I am positive.

Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt
I South Tyrol there's a big cluster in Sexten, the municipality next to my hometown. Tennis fans might now it as the hometown of Yannik Sinner.
There was a big party when the old cable railway of the ski station closed and one infected was there, after that there were a few more parties (one after an election with the mayor also involved...).
I'm shocked how reckless some people are, some people didn't respect the quarantine, the owners of a bar refused to close it after both of them tested positive and you had multiple people running around like nothing happened after testing positive!
Now you have the results, 111 active cases in a small municipality with just under 2,000 inhabitants, one person already died and multiple are in intensive care (I actually know some of them).
One would think that people would be less reckless and try to protect members of the high risk group, but no...

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: jmdirt
Could not disagree more w Dr.Atlas conclusion..only one of many..back out a few hundred focal lengths..74 year old,obsess white man,high cholesterol..a high stress jail b,documented history,in real time of ultra high risk behavior,stadium size gatherings with 10's of thousands of strangers in multiple locations in the US..dozens of office staff members come up positive,many hospitalized..and then the 74 yo old man comes up Covid positive w symptoms and is helicoptered. to a military hospital for experimental drug treatments..
If you take part of that as fact..
No doctor,Maybe Dr.OZ ,Dr Laura or Dr. Kevorkian would tell the patient to take a public relations SUV ride as therapy..but no real doctor tells a Covid 19 patient to return to an office w @20+ positives, no real doctor would tell someone days,not weeks out of a hospital bed to go maskless to stadium rallies full of unknowns,no masks..
Atlas is a problem, but the doctor's advice from the top down of the US government is malpractice at the absolute minimum..
You can't expect regular citizens to have a clear, what to do example when one doesn't exist.
A doctor telling a 74 year old fat guy who just got covid to go to parties and concert style events is an idiot not a doctor

Could not disagree more w Dr.Atlas conclusion..only one of many..back out a few hundred focal lengths..74 year old,obsess white man,high cholesterol..a high stress jail b,documented history,in real time of ultra high risk behavior,stadium size gatherings with 10's of thousands of strangers in multiple locations in the US..dozens of office staff members come up positive,many hospitalized..and then the 74 yo old man comes up Covid positive w symptoms and is helicoptered. to a military hospital for experimental drug treatments..
If you take part of that as fact..
No doctor,Maybe Dr.OZ ,Dr Laura or Dr. Kevorkian would tell the patient to take a public relations SUV ride as therapy..but no real doctor tells a Covid 19 patient to return to an office w @20+ positives, no real doctor would tell someone days,not weeks out of a hospital bed to go maskless to stadium rallies full of unknowns,no masks..
Atlas is a problem, but the doctor's advice from the top down of the US government is malpractice at the absolute minimum..
You can't expect regular citizens to have a clear, what to do example when one doesn't exist.
A doctor telling a 74 year old fat guy who just got covid to go to parties and concert style events is an idiot not a doctor
Not a doctor is right. More like his chief private attorney; anticipating what stress awaits his client after the election. That there is no censure from his own party on this behavior is a larger abuse, in my mind. That also may be more than just a footnote in this country's dangerously dysfunctional history.

How a Bizarre Claim About Masks Has Lived on for Months

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/10/can-masks-make-you-sicker/616641/

Apparently it began with a fb post by someone who (falsely) claimed to work for OSHA.

I don't agree with Gupta, but she is at least trying to make scientific claims in the appropriate venues. I can't be the only one who sees projection when the two are talking about digging too deep into their initial opinions and not wanting to change when hit with conflicting data. Pot meet kettle. I mean, hasn't she made the claim that the UK already had herd immunity or were very near it?

And their final conclusion is that we should do what Sweden is doing*.

*except for the part where they nearly decimated the care homes and then triaged those people to prevent the hospitals from being overrun.
I wouldn't expect you to agree with Gupta & others - you've been incredulous & contemptuous with just about every expert I've referenced & quoted from...no surprises there. The bigger question is whether or not politicians & policy makers will listen to Gupta & her colleagues. She is one of the framers of the "Great Barrington Declaration" with Bhakdi as one of the signers:

Gupta & Bhakdi share the same views including their opinion on masks with Bhakdi not recommending them ("show your face"), and going so far as saying it's nothing short of "child abuse" to force children to wear masks. Here's Gupta's position:

"Gupta, 55, says that unless you are elderly or have underlying conditions, there is no need for a mask. She teaches without one."

On Sweden: You"ll find just as many positive articles that supports what they have done and, what appears to be, some degree of herd immunity. In addition, Tengell still isn't recommending masks.

That is one vaccine candidate. I don't think we should lump all of them together especially when they are using different platforms. That is how we get only 50% of people saying they will get the vaccine. If you don't want to get one, I doubt that they will be mandatory for the majority of people.
I'm not so sure about that. The NEJM just published this paper:

"Ensuring Uptake of Vaccines Against SARS-CoV-2."

"...substantive penalties could be justified, including employment suspension or stay-at-home orders for persons in designated high-priority groups who refuse vaccination."

Additionally, if I recall correctly, the Virginia governor initially had said the vaccine would be mandatory but has since walked back on that position. Nonetheless, there was a "We The People" rally in Virginia yesterday voicing opposition against lockdowns, restrictions, masks, mandatory Covid vaccine, etc.

What is really being discussed in the US is that a certain percentage of the population believe in American genetic superiority..masks, social distancing, contact tracing,and extensive hygiene measures work,that is proven.

The only reason to discontinue,discount or dismiss things like seat belts,helmets,padded dash boards,lead paint,smoking w children,guzzling and driving,ect..and now Covid prevention is because you think you are different,better..superior..
so as everyday passes into history, American leadership may turn out to be correct,now IS the best time to reinvent the wheel..US officials may have information confirming that Americans are genetic anomalies..and that things that kill others bounce off or make Americans stronger..
But probably not..
The idea at this point,in any country that saying trying to reduce or eliminate face\ mouth spray into the air or onto others is ridiculous..mouth to mouth..mouth to eyes and nose transmission are proven..If we can help not spitting on each other the faster this is controlled.
So watching old politicians go full mosh pit maskless is not funny,cute or progressive..it's phuckin' stupid..

File this under "shocker". Apparently they were only mandated to wear masks when they were NOT working out. Who could've guessed this would happen. Different circumstances but I am really curious if Yates infected Kruiswijk.

View: https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1316419781436887040
It's unhealthy & potentially dangerous to work out while wearing masks especially with more vigourous, higher intensity, max VO2 type efforts:

The W.H.O. doesn't recommend the wearing of masks while excercising because it may reduce the ability to breathe comfortably and sweat makes the mask become wet more quickly which makes it difficult to breathe and promotes the growth of microorganisms:

View: https://youtu.be/1_AxGswGnno

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS