• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 162 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

This is a German interview with a medical statician about the situation in Germany and especially Baden-Württemberg. Its main conclusion is that the preparation for the second wave (never uses this term I think) was not what it could have been and that we are still lacking coherent preperation and the real database. He says politicians and epidemiologists in the media are giving people to much hope by pretending that they know things which in fact they don't.
I found it a very matter-of-fact and differenciated interview and even though he talks about Germany some things might apply to other countries, too. So if you care enough, I'd recommend to use a translator.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
I explained my reasoning so its not erroneous. Do a web search to verify what I wrote which is accurate - students brought the virus to our universities. But like the rest of this thread its the balance between the economy and health / lives. Even China opted for health/lives ahead of the economy. So I don't think its madness. But you are entitled to your opinion.

Who caught the virus and passed it onto others is irrelevant to the fact that Australia is not allowing international students to return to study which is affecting the viability of higher education institutes - And of course it makes Australia a less attractive proposition in the future for international students - Australia was lucky that some employment agents were on top of things and insisted their students returned to Australia earlier to beat the lockdowns so around 25 to 30% of international students are currently studying - Finally, the tone of your posts always comes back to victim blaming.

The entire world is having trouble organizing international sporting events. It isn't just Australia.

What - In tennis the French Open, US Open in tennis and other regular tournaments, European, PGA, Asian tours in golf as well as having three majors, the F1 circuit is happening, horse racing is happening across international jurisdictions, Champions league is happening in soccer with the Asian Champions League about to resume, England has international cricket matches happening, while the IPLis happening in the UAE, Cycling has done it's Grand Tours and most monuments - I could go on and on and on - This suggests that the various Governments and health authorities are happy with the health protocols which have been put into place by the relevant sporting authorities.

Reactions: Koronin
What - In tennis the French Open, US Open in tennis and other regular tournaments, European, PGA, Asian tours in golf as well as having three majors, the F1 circuit is happening, horse racing is happening across international jurisdictions, Champions league is happening in soccer with the Asian Champions League about to resume, England has international cricket matches happening, while the IPLis happening in the UAE, Cycling has done it's Grand Tours and most monuments - I could go on and on and on - This suggests that the various Governments and health authorities are happy with the health protocols which have been put into place by the relevant sporting authorities.
Yes and the virus in all those places except Asia is far worse than Australia outside of the state of Victoria. One reason is our State and Federal governments have mostly acted quickly and in unison.

I am not sure why you are so eager to belittle Australia’s efforts if the entire world did as well that adds up to an awful lot of lives and economic outcomes. What you have highlighted is the great conundrum of COVID-19.

Who caught the virus and passed it onto others is irrelevant to the fact that Australia is not allowing international students to return to study which is affecting the viability of higher education institutes - And of course it makes Australia a less attractive proposition in the future for international students - Australia was lucky that some employment agents were on top of things and insisted their students returned to Australia earlier to beat the lockdowns so around 25 to 30% of international students are currently studying - Finally, the tone of your posts always comes back to victim blaming.
The tone of your posts is to blame Australia.

Yes and the virus in all those places except Asia is far worse than Australia outside of the state of Victoria. One reason is our State and Federal governments have mostly acted quickly and in unison.

I am not sure why you are so eager to belittle Australia’s efforts if the entire world did as well that adds up to an awful lot of lives and economic outcomes. What you have highlighted is the great conundrum of COVID-19.

Your post doesnt address the issue of why international sporting authorities are frustrated in trying to hold sporting events in OZ. Anyway to make you feel better, China has banned international sporting events for the rest of 2020. Lets see what 2021 holds.

I repeat, it has been pointed out again and again and again by virtually every epidemiologist that the primary purpose of masks is to prevent the wearers from spreading the virus, not to protect the wearer from the virus. There is thought to be some benefit for the latter, but that is secondary. Everything you have quoted Gupta as saying about this indicates that, indeed, she doesn't get it. If she got it, she would not recommend masks only for those most seriously at risk. This is ass-backwards.

Even if she thinks masks can cause health problems--and this idea has also been rebutted--it wouldn't support letting older people, certain to be more vulnerable to such problems, wear masks, would it? The only rationale she could possibly have for recommending those at risk wear masks is that masks protect wearers, and while there does seem to be some benefit, it's nowhere near as important as protecting others.

Here's another lesson for you. In science, we don't defer to authority. It doesn't make any difference what position someone holds or how many papers the person has published, s/he gets criticized on the basis of merit. And Gupta's advice that only those at high risk should wear masks is without merit. Not because every other epidemiologist will contradict it, though that certainly ought to sway most people, but because the overwhelming amount of evidence does.

I've been a scientist for decades, but I've never discussed the positions I've held, nor listed the number of peer-reviewed papers I've published, nor emphasized my fields of expertise. Why? Because none of that matters. If I make a claim here, I cite studies that back it up, I don't ask people to believe me because I'm an authority.

And it's the same with any other real scientist. Do you ever hear Fauci say, believe what I say, because I'm a famous virologist, and know what I'm talking about? Of course not. When he makes a point, or claim, or recommendation, he cites evidence, reasons that support that position.
Perhaps Gupta has reviewed the science in reaching her conclusion.

I think you're insidiously undermining Gupta given her expertise in the field of Epidemiology - which this pandemic is all about. I have no doubt that if Gupta had endorsed and recommended the wearing of masks by everyone, you and others here would be giving her accolades and emphasizing her authority on the matter.

This is an interesting debate on the mask issue between Dr. Johnson & Dr. Rancourt. A few months ago I posted some info on Rancourt ref his research on all studies involving masks with his conclusions. You responded with your rebuttal and it was left at that. In this debate, the same rebuttals are presented by Johnson with Rancourt having a chance to respond. I find I agree with Rancourt - there just isn't any randomized controlled studies showing masks as effective against viruses:

View: https://youtu.be/AQyLFdoeUNk

Let's go one step further with another framer of the Great Barrington Declaration: Dr. Jay Bhattacharya, Professor of Medicine at Stanford, as he specifically addresses masks in this brief interview:

View: https://youtu.be/KG4_ovtHXRo

"No randomized evidence that suggests mask mandates would work to slow the spread of the disease."

"For influenza, the randomized studies that have been done suggest they don't work to slow the spread of the disease."

Anedoctally, masks haven't had any effect here in the Denver-Metro. The govenor implemented a state-wide mask mandate back in July that's been renewed on a monthly basis. In my day to day interactions, I have surprisingly seen very high compliance (even in the gyms). We've been in masks now for almost four straight months and starting last week cases have skyrocketed exceeding the highest numbers from last spring! This has put the governor and local municipalities in a tizzy where some municipalities have rolled back to level 3 "safer-at-home" orders (gym & bar closures, very restricted capacity for churches & restaurants, a gathering limit of 10 people from 2 households, etc). The next step, we've been warned, could be the dreaded "stay-at-home" orders.

I'm simply not convinced....

If masks cause health problems, why don't people like surgeons always have health issues from wearing masks much of the day?
Here's a peer-reviewed paper reporting the reduction of hemoglobin 02 saturation in surgeons wearing surgical masks during operations lasting more than one hour:

"Preliminary report on surgical mask induced deoxygenation during major surgery."

For the world American leadership was displayed during our campaign season. Over and over and over again in examples that defy logic and morality..and within the context of a pandemic,morality and logically thinking can be lost..
earlier posts here about sporting events,the scale of difficulty to have the sport being played be safe,trying to transfer the experience,the joy and excitement to everyone but not making it a life or death exchange. In the United States,our sports are pretty typical, large paying,cheering crowds watching in large indoor,outdoor stadium spaces,some being hybrids w retractable roof options. Our biggest seasons are already done or in a state of progress. NBA went for no fans in attendance and athletes and supporting staff in an enormous expensive bubble at a Disney, Florida park.
Baseball is trying similar techniques,w the season conclusion,World Series being played in a neutral city w almost empty stadium.
NFL had already some bad stats,w players and staff testing positive for the virus,games being delayed and rescheduled..there in the 7th week..with 10 weeks to go.
For the most part there are no big stadium events,with the ugly exception of President Trump holding huge events w no social distancing and few masks. And even more bizarre perpetual motion,a huge amount of time in each stadium event is spent mocking people for not having stadium events,jabs at people for social distancing and wearing masks. The events consistently include direct language contradiction of fact,that the virus is currently leaving our country.The current Presidential campaign tour is criminal..

we had a debate between the two presidential candidates..now for the twist,the man wanting to become president made multiple statements about fighting the virus,best practices and strategy. The man, currently in office,the President of the United States,said that the virus is nothing to worry about,going away and offered nothing about historical response,plans for the future,and offered no explanation or defense for impeding doctors and scientists working on Covid response. A basic shoulder shug to why he won't do anything that his scientific staff has suggested.
We have many many many industries that are on a cliff..airlines and aerospace being a huge concern. Retail in general is fragile. Tourism and hospitality on the brink of catastrophe. And to see the top down government response is nothing is at the very least discouraging.

This may sound completely stupid,but one event that I have attended more than 13 times is the Little League World Series..it was cancelled. There are many months until the 2021 competition would begin to take place. But for international and American ball players to be denied the ability to compete because of an incompetent host country is terrible on too many levels. This is just one sport,done by children. Other people have posted examples of foreign students having their world turned upside down. There are just to many parts of the interconnected world economy and world order for the US to say we are taking a time out to do our own thing.
And the stories about the world food supply chain should have Americans worried on every level. Markets we had are gone and maybe never to return. Clear cutting and burning sensitive lands,like rainforests were already being done at crazy levels,but America and her ever demanding food supply has beef farmers in Brazil and Nicaragua burning forests and murdering people who get in their way..the rush to capture the US markets leaves no prisoners..literally.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wd8YNETujMA

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SZShVhclRbQ

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=55EdhyGILmQ

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A4C_wlIfagA

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hpS8zxJIvh4

And many other countries are set to take up student slack because of U.S. chaos

For the world American leadership was displayed during our campaign season. Over and over and over again in examples that defy logic and morality..and within the context of a pandemic,morality and logically thinking can be lost..
earlier posts here about sporting events,the scale of difficulty to have the sport being played be safe,trying to transfer the experience,the joy and excitement to everyone but not making it a life or death exchange. In the United States,our sports are pretty typical, large paying,cheering crowds watching in large indoor,outdoor stadium spaces,some being hybrids w retractable roof options. Our biggest seasons are already done or in a state of progress. NBA went for no fans in attendance and athletes and supporting staff in an enormous expensive bubble at a Disney, Florida park.
Baseball is trying similar techniques,w the season conclusion,World Series being played in a neutral city w almost empty stadium.
NFL had already some bad stats,w players and staff testing positive for the virus,games being delayed and rescheduled..there in the 7th week..with 10 weeks to go.
For the most part there are no big stadium events,with the ugly exception of President Trump holding huge events w no social distancing and few masks. And even more bizarre perpetual motion,a huge amount of time in each stadium event is spent mocking people for not having stadium events,jabs at people for social distancing and wearing masks. The events consistently include direct language contradiction of fact,that the virus is currently leaving our country.The current Presidential campaign tour is criminal..

we had a debate between the two presidential candidates..now for the twist,the man wanting to become president made multiple statements about fighting the virus,best practices and strategy. The man, currently in office,the President of the United States,said that the virus is nothing to worry about,going away and offered nothing about historical response,plans for the future,and offered no explanation or defense for impeding doctors and scientists working on Covid response. A basic shoulder shug to why he won't do anything that his scientific staff has suggested.
We have many many many industries that are on a cliff..airlines and aerospace being a huge concern. Retail in general is fragile. Tourism and hospitality on the brink of catastrophe. And to see the top down government response is nothing is at the very least discouraging.

This may sound completely stupid,but one event that I have attended more than 13 times is the Little League World Series..it was cancelled. There are many months until the 2021 competition would begin to take place. But for international and American ball players to be denied the ability to compete because of an incompetent host country is terrible on too many levels. This is just one sport,done by children. Other people have posted examples of foreign students having their world turned upside down. There are just to many parts of the interconnected world economy and world order for the US to say we are taking a time out to do our own thing.
And the stories about the world food supply chain should have Americans worried on every level. Markets we had are gone and maybe never to return. Clear cutting and burning sensitive lands,like rainforests were already being done at crazy levels,but America and her ever demanding food supply has beef farmers in Brazil and Nicaragua burning forests and murdering people who get in their way..the rush to capture the US markets leaves no prisoners..literally.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wd8YNETujMA

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SZShVhclRbQ

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=55EdhyGILmQ

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A4C_wlIfagA

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hpS8zxJIvh4

And many other countries are set to take up student slack because of U.S. chaos

At least the USA has some excuse with their mishandling of COVID which makes it more problematic for international students and to provide continuity of face to face teaching, whereas Australia has little or no issues with COVID which makes it an even more attractive proposition for international students - It's a competitive world.

Reactions: djpbaltimore
I think online learning is a game changer for a multitude of reasons,the primary one in my opinion it's almost instant,forced acceptance as an option. Schools in the US that charge $30,000 plus per year are released into an apples to apples comparison with other institutions. And the market will respond..if you can examine the syllabus, supplemental materials and test materials, the mystery is reduced to a certain degree. Lots of small schools that survive will surely have benefited from seeing what the big guys offer in their curriculum.
The U.S. like everywhere else has the value of many institutions based on the entire college experience,American culture,sports, campus and off campus activity and the connection in the surrounding community.
The value of online only is hard to sell at a high price. Countries and communities that can offer everything will look more and more attractive.
it's fantastic that higher education in the US has moved ahead and come up with financial formulas that integrate education,safety and profit so that the schools have a chance to survive. The federal response still has not happened,if it ever comes.
The nuclear fallout issue for the Covid economy will be child care..in many communities it costs more to send your 4 year old for care than it does to send a 19 old to college..
Pizza places,laundromat, taco shops and oil change places near San Diego State have folded under the Covid cash crush..some of my favorite spots had upholstered furniture,great baked goods,and eclectic tunes that I enjoyed discovering..all are reconfigured to a degree that makes sitting around drinking coffee or beer listening to music difficult if not impossible..the body count in most places is low to zero.. The Starbucks near my office,no indoor seating,no bathrooms available to the public..
unsure what the government is waiting for..

Reactions: jmdirt
There is at least some federal data collection,less distribution but better than nothing. I watched a series of videos about shoplifting on an organized crime scale. CVS and Home Depot both had a story. I was fascinated how the success of law enforcement was to take 3,4,10 steps back and accumulate and and process the data..4 or 5 thefts in one area could not be made into data that another community could use to see a broad pattern.
with Covid it's very encouraging that most of our major universities are trying to help one another,learn from others successes and failures..as of now many states are not willing to agree to report similar data points so that a national data base could be accessed by all..

Perhaps Gupta has reviewed the science in reaching her conclusion.

I think you're insidiously undermining Gupta given her expertise in the field of Epidemiology - which this pandemic is all about. I have no doubt that if Gupta had endorsed and recommended the wearing of masks by everyone, you and others here would be giving her accolades and emphasizing her authority on the matter.

I think you're missing the point. Gupta didn't say masks were ineffective. She said they should be limited to those at risk. If she believed masks are ineffective, why would she recommend that? At the same time, her recommendation, again, is backwards. It's the people less at risk who need to be wearing them.

Good grief, look at the opening question in that Bhattacharya interview you posted. The woman points out that some public official tested positive despite wearing a mask. Making a statement like this is basically spreading false information, implying that a mask is supposed to protect a wearer, rather than others. What really matters is that most people at that event did not wear masks--video confirms that.

And no, I wouldn't be emphasizing Gupta's authority. Again and again, I have made my points by citing studies, regardless of who published them. I've never singled out anyone as someone who ought to be listened to, I rarely mention any names at all. I simply show studies.

This is an interesting debate on the mask issue between Dr. Johnson & Dr. Rancourt. A few months ago I posted some info on Rancourt ref his research on all studies involving masks with his conclusions. You responded with your rebuttal and it was left at that. In this debate, the same rebuttals are presented by Johnson with Rancourt having a chance to respond. I find I agree with Rancourt - there just isn't any randomized controlled studies showing masks as effective against viruses:

It depends on what you call effective against viruses. There are dozens and dozens of studies showing that masks do block viral particles/aerosols. The evidence is beyond debate.

What anti-mask advocates are arguing is that there is no compelling evidence that masks reduce transmission rates or disease incidence. But these are very difficult studies to run, because the goal is not to show that masks reduce disease for the wearer--an individual effect, the kind that most health scientists are accustomed to demonstrating (and most of the studies Rancourt cites are of this kind)--but for others in contact with the wearer, a social effect. Citing situations where many people wearing masks hasn't reduced case levels doesn't necessarily prove anything, because there are too many other factors that can't be controlled.

To take just one example, mask mandates are usually put into place when cases are rising, which in turn frequently result when economies open up and people stop taking simple precautions. The result is that masks are being worn under conditions that promote transmission more than when the masks were not being worn. In fact, many people feel that if they wear a mask, they can go out in public more than they would otherwise, and pay less attention to social distancing.

With regards to Rancourt in particular, yes, I responded to that, but I later looked more closely into his claims, and didn't post on that, as I recall. The fundamental flaw in Rancourt's argument is his assumption that a single air-borne particle can result in infection, and even the best masks will not block every single particle. What is his evidence for that? He cites a single source that argues--not on the basis of evidence, but on theory--that the size of certain air-borne particles are large enough to contain several thousand viruses, and that this is a large enough number to ensure infection. Even this cited author admits this is purely a theoretical calculation, that a sphere of a certain radius could contain several thousand viruses, if they were all packed together.

But that isn't how viral transmission works. This is how a physicist like Rancourt thinks it works, but it isn't how virologists and epidemiologists know how it works. The newly replicated viruses in an infected person don't have a program that enables them to pack themselves tightly into a compact sphere. The actual events involve particles getting into saliva, and it's droplets or aerosols of saliva that transmit the virus. Thus the key factor is, what is the concentration of virus in saliva, and how many individual viruses in an aerosol does that indicate? If you use the actual data on viral concentrations in saliva, it turns out that most aerosol particles will contain no virus at all. An air-borne particle has to be fairly large before it has a significant probability of carrying virus, and even then, probably only a few dozen at most, which are likely not enough to cause infection. Much larger particles can contain larger numbers of virus, but then these particles quickly settle to the ground because of their size.

For COVID-19, with an oral fluid average virus RNA load of 7 × 106 copies per milliliter (maximum of 2.35 × 109 copies per milliliter) (7), the probability that a 50-μm-diameter droplet, prior to dehydration, contains at least one virion is ∼37%. For a 10-μm droplet, this probability drops to 0.37%, and the probability that it contains more than one virion, if generated from a homogeneous distribution of oral fluid, is negligible.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7275719/

So Rancourt is incorrect that a single air-borne particle is even likely, let alone certain, to transmit the virus. It almost always takes many particles, and this is why masks can be effective. If they block a significant proportion of exhaled particles, they reduce the likelihood of infection of other people.

some studies of viral concentration in saliva:

https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/laninf/PIIS1473-3099(20)30196-1.pdf
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7107974/
https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/laninf/PIIS1473-3099(20)30196-1.pdf
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32235945/

studies of droplet size:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7126899/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6382806/
J Aerosol Sci. 40(2): 122–133

Here's a table I constructed from the data of multiple studies:

Particle size (um)Virions in ave. load (7 x 106)Virions in peak load (7 x 108)Infectious dose (peak particles)Settling time (100 cm)
1< 0.1.0110,000 or more6 hr
2< 0.10.37100 - 10001.5 hr
5< 0.15.610 – 10015 min.
100.46461 – 105 min.

The particle size is after dehydration, which takes place in milliseconds after saliva is exhaled into the air. Dehydration results in a reduction of the particle’s diameter to roughly 20% of its original value, which means less than 1% of its original volume. I have shown estimates (number of viruses per particle) for average viral loads (column 2) in infected people, about 7 million per cc, and the highest loads recorded (column 3), about 100 times more concentrated. Even for the latter, the average number of viruses per particle of 10 um--the largest that might remain suspended in the air for several minutes--is only about 50. One or a very small number of these particles might be capable of infecting someone. But this is an extreme case, involving unusually high viral loads--and even for individuals like these, these levels would only occur in a narrow window of time. And other studies, shown in the list above, show that particles this size are not among the most numerous typically exhaled.

Last edited:
Merckx points out the level of crazy
.Take the flu or bronchitis,the common cold..The person contacting the sickness is not dumb, careless or to be blamed or shamed.
As with the above ailments,you don't go to parties or gatherings w the immune compromised,or persons who have unique health circumstances.
wearing a mask is a reasonable precaution,not a silver bullet or an impenetrable armor.
Mask embracers or mask deniers saying that masks do more,by way of prevention or harm are just being silly.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qGYQU1WRGxI

Is that really what Rancourt thinks? I didn't listen to that one. In general, I think people overrate how infective viruses are, particularly enveloped viruses. Or underrate how good our innate defenses are. There is a reason most infections are between close contacts with prolonged exposure. You probably need a pretty big dose.

He also cited a well-known study of a single virus able to infect an insect. It's not impossible that a single virus could infect a human, but it's unlikely. In my post above, I didn't even mention that studies have reported that a significant proportion of viruses quantitated in saliva or in aerosols are non-functional, as determined in assays of infectivity. So that reduces the probability of an infectious dose even further.

To take just one example, mask mandates are usually put into place when cases are rising, which in turn frequently result when economies open up and people stop taking simple precautions. The result is that masks are being worn under conditions that promote transmission more than when the masks were not being worn. In fact, many people feel that if they wear a mask, they can go out in public more than they would otherwise, and pay less attention to social distancing.
This might be the case in the US, but in Spain for example masks have been legally mandatory pretty much everywhere (even outdoors in most cases) since late July, and their use was widespread long before that (by May the vast majority of people reported using them). This means that masks were widely worn during the lowest point of the pandemic in Spain.

I do think masks work, and even if their effect was minimal I believe the current situation makes them a good idea even in the absence of more specific scientific studies, since it's a relatively unobtrusive safety measure. And there are certainly many other factors at play and other ways in which Spain is screwing up. But as probably the most heavily hit country in the world, I believe the Spanish case should be of particular interest.

Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin
This might be the case in the US, but in Spain for example masks have been legally mandatory pretty much everywhere (even outdoors in most cases) since late July, and their use was widespread long before that (by May the vast majority of people reported using them). This means that masks were widely worn during the lowest point of the pandemic in Spain.

I do think masks work, and even if their effect was minimal I believe the current situation makes them a good idea even in the absence of more specific scientific studies, since it's a relatively unobtrusive safety measure. And there are certainly many other factors at play and other ways in which Spain is screwing up. But as probably the most heavily hit country in the world, I believe the Spanish case should be of particular interest.
Knowing the problems some people have with basic hand washing after visiting the bathroom even in the pre pandemic days makes me think that mask wearing guidelines are not being adhered to by a certain percentage of people. How many people wear the same mask continuously without washing it ? How many also wash their hands regularly especially when going out and returning home ? The mask wearing protocols are only effective when a bit of commonsense is used and the guidelines are adhered to.