• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 201 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Chris I understand I really do, what I am asking of you appears too tall an order..sure deceiving kids and teachers..you look to go down the who hates puppies list..why not add old people, blacks,Mexicans,poor,fat, people who can't read, people who won't read..the virus like the official government lies are done shotgun style..just aim in a general direction and let er' fly.
The answer to do lies hurt kids..responding yes..but they also hurt illegal immigrants..and poor people who can't work from home..disproportionately so..so do I share your concern for kids? For unionized or scab teachers? Sure I do. But there is much,much more..much more death and destruction to the issue..Kids and teachers need our help,but fat people need it more, Native Americans much more,Brown and Blacks..they need 50-100% more of your concern by the numbers..so yes not going to the water park,or getting a haircut, whenever you want sucks,I get it..not being able to guzzle yummy beer..I feel it too.
There was,there is not any constitutional issue with helping prevent disease to people living in the US..there won't be after January 20th at @2pm..the country will still be in desperate need of a cooperative effort.
it's like Trump tried to say the other day at his Covid press conference, but it was not written out,not that it would have mattered..10-15% of the population has been exposed..we need 80% for herd anything, so Trump saying that 280,000 deaths is a positive thing,that we are gettin ur done is dumb,we are not..at 280,000 at 15% exposure and a year minimum for vaccines the math doesn't work out..
it is what it is that is not a unit of measure,wingin' it is not science..
There are sub groups within the US that still are not getting the emergency medical attention they need,they deserve..that is a fact.
I will wait for you to tell me why..and please blend in somebody in Orange county not having access to 24\7 sushi or latte as a infringement..a constitutional crisis..
at least now the questions are answered, what if he..takes charge of national health care policy, education and defense? What if he negotiates us into trade wars globally?
And so many more,you can check off,how would he act in a pandemic, how would he treat Greenland?
The only thing that we don't have an answer to is about nuclear weapons..environment,economy..everything else is answered..even how he would act in the court system, that box is checked off to the Supreme Court level..
The U.S. Pandemic response is a failure.
And I will post it for you..before you even get into it..

A little brush-up on the opening of the Declaration clearly would’t hurt you either.

In Congress, July 4, 1776

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America, When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

Following up on my post yesterday, which traced several hundred thousand cases to a biotech conference in Boston at the end of February: A similar type of approach is yielding evidence suggesting a link between surging cases in college towns when students return to campus, and increasing deaths among older, at risk people in the nearby communities:
The reason that the second wave took off so spectacularly here in October was related to this. Belgium is a small country, so your family always lives close by. Almost all college/university students go home in the weekend or simply live at home while studying (for many, uni is just half an hour away from home). Also, many families visit relatives during the weekend. Students may have picked up covid during September summer holiday, spread it to fellow students, who brought it back home to mom & dad, grandpa and grandma, etc.

"San Diego Health Official Admits That Hospital Capacity Is "Very Close" To When It Was in 2017 Flu Season:"

Of course, no lockdowns, no restrictions on businesses, no school closures, no psychological enslavementof people, and no fearmongering back then compared to what the state is doing now.

The is total BS. Dictator Newsom: Do as I dictate...not as I do.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/BillFOXLA/status/1328932610169561090?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1328932610169561090%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.westernjournal.com%2Fsan-diego-health-official-admits-hospital-capacity-close-2017-flu-season%2F

How Californians put up with this is behind belief. I just read somewhere that San Francisco will now only allow you to socialize with (1) person outside your family household? WTH?

You also put it in your toothpaste. This sounds like more anti-vaxxer scare mongering IMO. It has been used in humans for a long time, but now it is anti-freeze? This is the main reason why I doubt that we will get to 60%. PEG will be the new thimerosal.
As I said previously, the anti-vaxxers like RFK Jr are making this vaccine their big stand. Allergic reactions are something that is being monitored, but at this point, the CDC still recommends the vaccine to those people with a history.
Florida has the weather that allows outdoor social events and ventilation. Yet, they are still seeing 10K cases a day and 100 deaths. Their spike was totally predictable after removing all restrictions. Comparing them to California, Florida has almost 2x the mortality per capita (92 to 53). I know where I would rather live.

I notice that Colorado has peaked in terms of cases and hospitalizations and are trending downward. Are you willing to admit that the restrictions worked and that they were the correct decision?

Last edited:
I haven't been in this thread much, but started following a bit today and this chart and the conclusions about it in the tweet struck me.

First, Florida's rate of hospitalization appears to have been steadily decreasing. It then starts climbing about 4 weeks after restrictions are relaxed. That seems to correlate very closely with what one would expect, no? It would take some time for a large number of people to start congregating and get infected, then the an incubation period we've come to expect, then some time after the infection is known before they require hospitalization. I'm not sure the chart could follow a predicted infection rate more closely.

The California line has not had that time to run. Wouldn't we expect hospitalizations to decrease about 4 weeks after lockdown? The chart simply doesn't address that timeline.

I think the person tweeting that either doesn't have a tremendous grasp of the data or the infection timelines, is finding any data they can to support a pre-existing conclusion, or is intentionally trying to mislead people.

Last edited:
The internet gift that keeps on giving.

Humans have this tendency, the internet amplifies it for sure. Rational discussion and education about data analysis is the only path to a cure which I can see. Education combats ignorance and all that.

Normally.. but I don’t know if significant percentages of Californians are actually locking down this time.

No I would agree, people seem intent on drawing out the economic pain as long as possible and congregating. If we had a stronger sense of community and were willing to do the simple things to solve this none of this would be necessary. The misinformation climate is a key driver of this stupidity.

The fact remains that businesses where people congregate have been closed, so it's going to have some impact on the infection rate. It's just math. But not as much as it would if people stopped acting like idiots at home and in other places. We could have ripped off the economic band-aid months and months ago.

Polyethylene Glycol is anti-freeze. Like, what you mix with water and put in your car radiator.
It has quite a few medical uses. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene_glycol

There are some questions about its medical use in children, so far nothing definitive has been shown. Saying it's anti-freeze is just inflammatory, and quite frankly nonsense. It's an ingredient. You're a smart guy, why add to the craziness?

Medical uses
  • PEG is the basis of a number of laxatives.[4] Whole bowel irrigation with polyethylene glycol and added electrolytes is used for bowel preparation before surgery or colonoscopy.
  • PEG is also used as an excipient in many pharmaceutical products.
  • When attached to various protein medications, polyethylene glycol allows a slowed clearance of the carried protein from the blood.[5]
  • The possibility that PEG could be used to fuse axons is being explored by researchers studying peripheral nerve and spinal cord injury.[4]
  • An example of PEG Hydrogels (see "Biological Uses" section) in a therapeutic has been theorized by Ma et al. They proposed using the hydrogel to address periodontitis (gum disease) by encapsulating stem cells in the gel that promote healing in the gums.[6] The gel and encapsulated stem cells was be injected to the site of disease and crosslinked to create the microenvironment required for the stem cells to function.

Last edited:
A little brush-up on the opening of the Declaration clearly would’t hurt you either.

In Congress, July 4, 1776

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America, When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.
it's so cool @80 judges..but embrace another reality.. electoral vote..but still refuse,reject reality..now I say here is the text of the United States Constitution and you are talking about 13 states..smoke the stuff w seeds
when I got to the 27th amendment I paused and reviewed again looking for your text that is talking' about a king..

We have over 300,000 dead loved ones,holes in the fabric of our society..we really really really need to move past this Civil war battlefield medical mind set..a thing that should have scared 100% of Americans when it was said allowed..I don't read,I don't use email or computers..but it only shook half of us..San Diego is receiving @48,000 doses of vaccine..population 1.6 million people..
Alex Azar telling people to go against the CDC recommendations are wait to vaccinate the elderly..
Our director sportif is handing out hot motor oil water bottles in the feedzone and blaming loose water bottle cage bolts for stage loss..The White House should enter the Tour d France and do it on paperboy bikes,full ,w Ward Clever sweaters and 501's..maybe Skid Lids or Brancalle helmets w that Terry cloth liner..

it's so cool @80 judges..but embrace another reality.. electoral vote..but still refuse,reject reality..now I say here is the text of the United States Constitution and you are talking about 13 states..smoke the stuff w seeds
when I got to the 27th amendment I paused and reviewed again looking for your text that is talking' about a king..

We have over 300,000 dead loved ones,holes in the fabric of our society..we really really really need to move past this Civil war battlefield medical mind set..a thing that should have scared 100% of Americans when it was said allowed..I don't read,I don't use email or computers..but it only shook half of us..San Diego is receiving @48,000 doses of vaccine..population 1.6 million people..
Alex Azar telling people to go against the CDC recommendations are wait to vaccinate the elderly..
Our director sportif is handing out hot motor oil water bottles in the feedzone and blaming loose water bottle cage bolts for stage loss..The White House should enter the Tour d France and do it on paperboy bikes,full ,w Ward Clever sweaters and 501's..maybe Skid Lids or Brancalle helmets w that Terry cloth liner..

You need really to start thinking about your, ya know, climax. You have about another month of this utter desperation then, honest to God, I will truly worry for your, uh, mental disposition. I mean, more than I already do.

Florida has the weather that allows outdoor social events and ventilation. Yet, they are still seeing 10K cases a day and 100 deaths. Their spike was totally predictable after removing all restrictions. Comparing them to California, Florida has almost 2x the mortality per capita (92 to 53). I know where I would rather live.
I'm sure that number for CA will go up if things are as bad as say there are. And supposedly it's catastrophic there:

How about NY? They have basically 2x the mortality per capita compared to Florida (183 - 92). And NY has never really opened up much keeping many business restrictions in place since last spring. Their cases are increasing significantly and they have a 25% higher hospitalization rate per capita than Florida.

I notice that Colorado has peaked in terms of cases and hospitalizations and are trending downward. Are you willing to admit that the restrictions worked and that they were the correct decision?
Yes...that's true; and it's a pleasant surprise. Currently, we're at a "Level Red" status which entails closing all non-essential businesses for indoor service except gyms & fitness centers can remain open at 10% capacity. Places of worship are allowed 25% capacity and a metro-wide 10:00 PM curfew is still in effect. "Level Purple" would be a complete shutdown for everything but essential businesses.

If the trend continues it would appear these restrictions are working while keeping gyms/fitness centers & places of worship open. However, there are some contradictions when you examine some other states and see conflicting trends. For example, cases & hospitalizations are declining significantly in South Dakota. There's never been any lockdowns, restrictions, mask mandates or anything like that (and of course Noem has been crucified by the MSM):

Oklahoma is another state that I have been following. Currently, their cases & hospitalizations are down after spiking several weeks ago. All non-essential businesses are allowed to remain open. Bars & restaurants are can stay open until 11:00 PM with 50% capacity. Gyms, fitness centers, places of worship at 50% capacity. No statewide mask mandate but Oklahoma City and some of the surrounding municipalities do have mask mandates in effect.

So, the soft restrictions in OK are reasonable and cases & hospitalizations are also declining. I think the measures in Colorado are unreasonable but as you pointed out, cases & hospitalizations are, in fact, going down.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS