• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 239 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Crikey, well, I guess if things take longer to settle than expected they'll be, umm, prepared, however, having a relative in the marketing division for a major international hotel - who got forced onto Job Keeper, and then forced into long hours of crappy non-marketing work for the hotel as a result - who will soon be kicked off Job Keeper - I wonder about hospitality staff who will wind up in limbo if the hotels stop paying them. They're at least getting paid for hosting quarantines, will they decide to start covering their staff once the get stop? I'm sure there will be more layoffs - so what happens to the hospitality industry if the hotels are still being used in 2022 as well? Not to mention all the subsidiary industries attached to having regular guests/tourists filling up those hotels.
Needless to say the tourism industry will probably need a cash injection. Last I heard, out of work pilots were driving tractors on farms................and the cruise industry is basically inactive. State to state tourism won't be enough for many small businesses or airlines with limited flights anyway. Theme parks are just starting to reopen while cinemas are ghost towns, the ones that are bothering to open, some have closed permanently. Universities have their own set of problems without foreign students and the money they spend.

J&J has filed for an EUA today with the FDA. (I know I read they also applied somewhere else, but don't remember where that one was.) Once (if, although I think it will) it's approved it will help by adding more vaccines so more people can get vaccinated.

Needless to say the tourism industry will probably need a cash injection. Last I heard, out of work pilots were driving tractors on farms................and the cruise industry is basically inactive. State to state tourism won't be enough for many small businesses or airlines with limited flights anyway. Theme parks are just starting to reopen while cinemas are ghost towns, the ones that are bothering to open, some have closed permanently. Universities have their own set of problems without foreign students and the money they spend.

For sure. Worldwide too. I'm in the music/entertainment industry. Live performance work has been highly impacted. There are musicians who had been making a living on cruise ships, in hotel lounges and bars/clubs, and at weddings, and other events. Most of that is dead, I'm fortunate I have a little live work here, a little live and some studio, but it's not enough to live off and hasn't been for almost a year now.

San Diego is basically getting destroyed over tourism revenue losses. Everywhere you look, the zoo, Sea World,Lego Land, conventions, ComicCon, devastated. Many hotels were repurposed for homeless to slow the spread. The numbers of people involved in the hospitality industry here is high..even w a very recent relaxation of indoor dining, restaurant owners are ready to kill. I personally have a normal pilgrimage to Anza Borrego to see the wild flower bloom. Last year was crazy here in California,because we had what's called a Super Bloom..flowers all over the place..this year, Anza Borrego is currently closed,even for a drive by experience,forget about camping!!on my recent RV excursion to Durham ,CA everything was closed due to stay at home order. I parked one night in a luxurious Wal-Mart parking lot in Manteca California and the rest of the time BLM land, and one night I parked in a walnut grove late and set my alarm to move to the pavement before sunrise. No issues with landowners or cops..KOA campgrounds..$60-70 bucks a night..yikes..
Later I was told that Cracker Barrel and Wal Mart both require pre permission from a manager..oops..no harm no foul.
Not sure what will happen w my every year dream vacation to Little League World Series..cancelled again?

This is certainly devastating. Super Bowl is thought to add more death..with the rapid succession of American holidays and the lack of messaging and minimal public compliance and support,we will probably have high numbers for a while longer. The vaccine distribution is in my opinion creating a false sense of security of pending victory. In California the numbers didn't reflect a relaxing of restrictions and opening up indoor dining. But realistically, Valentine's day, Spring Break and generally better weather are going to have people mixing more inevitably..like was recently stated..going to get worse before it gets better..

• Sad
Reactions: jmdirt
If that trial was only 2k people, I wonder how many infections they actually saw. It was mostly young people, so there will be no indications how well the vaccine does against severe disease. I would expect it would fare better on that count as all the others have with robust data from SA.. Media have to be really careful how they report this type of news.

Last edited:
I have read that the Defense Production Act may become effective if the Johnson and Johnson vaccine gets emergency approval. The other more complicated vaccines make it more difficult to pass off a formula to another drug manufacturer and say, quick, ramp up and make our recipe. Other pharmaceutical plants can possibly be retooled to advance the J&J vaccine..and the @90 below zero storage and transport goes by the wayside

Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin
  • Sad
Here are the numbers for the marginal AZ result. 23 in the placebo vs 19 in the vaccine arm. But error, but hard to use this in a country with the SA variant. But it may be useful until J&j ramps up its production. View: https://mobile.twitter.com/matthewherper/status/1358506212275458051

Remember both J&J and Novavax had phase 3 trials in South Africa in which they already released data. J&J's data showed their vaccine 57% effective against the S.A. varient and 85% or so effective against severe cases. Meaning it still has to be fairly effective against the mild/moderate cases. Novovax's data was similar. Remember both had larger trials.

This slide is interesting data.

I have read that the Defense Production Act may become effective if the Johnson and Johnson vaccine gets emergency approval. The other more complicated vaccines make it more difficult to pass off a formula to another drug manufacturer and say, quick, ramp up and make our recipe. Other pharmaceutical plants can possibly be retooled to advance the J&J vaccine..and the @90 below zero storage and transport goes by the wayside

That makes sense. I read somewhere (I don't remember where) that J&J was redoing something at one of their plants to do more production of the vaccine as well.

I only have read of one non Pfizer or Moderna company signing a contract (in their case) with Pfizer to manufacture their vaccine and that is a French biotech company that already has the capabilities, even though they are working on their vaccine, but are much further behind in trials. It sounded like they basically had the capacity to manufacture some of Pfizer/BionTech's vaccine and choose to offer it. It sounded like their requirement for doing so was anything they manufactured stays in Europe. I can't see it being easy for non biotech companies to have any hope of any capability to manufacture the mRNA vaccines.

I think that there is \was kind of an unrealistic \ unreasonable expectation of the Defense Production Act. You can't just walk in a repurpose a factory to make complicated medicines. I remember seeing the upbeat stories about liquor distillers making hand sanitizer or the many masters of sewing machines making masks and other PPE. Drugs are turning out to be different.
speaking of drugs, I think I may require some after that Stupid Bowl..Congratulations Tampa

I think that there is \was kind of an unrealistic \ unreasonable expectation of the Defense Production Act. You can't just walk in a repurpose a factory to make complicated medicines. I remember seeing the upbeat stories about liquor distillers making hand sanitizer or the many masters of sewing machines making masks and other PPE. Drugs are turning out to be different.
speaking of drugs, I think I may require some after that Stupid Bowl..Congratulations Tampa

That's why somewhere back in this thread I asked what good the Defense production act was going to do in manufacturing vaccines as it never made any sense to me. PPE sure, that I can easily see.

I might have typed this already, but a factory wouldn't get repurposed to make the vaccine, but all or the other stuff (vials, base ingredients/components, needles, syringes...).

Reactions: Nomad