• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 262 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The vaccination drive is picking up steam here, because more and more vaccines are finally delivered (mainly thanks to BioNTech/Pfizer). Thursday and Friday, over 100,000 people got vaccinated on each day (Belgian population: 11.5 million). Currently, over 20% of the adult population has had at least a first dose. It's still going by age, and my parents (both 68 y/o) have received their invitation letter for next week (Pfizer).

It should now be going faster and faster, and hopefully by the end of June or early July, every adult will have gotten the chance to get a first shot. Remarkable differences in vaccination take-up between Flanders and Brussels/Wallonia, by the way: significantly higher in Flanders (85-90%) than in the south (65-70%). France is pretty vaccine-skeptic, somehow, and this seems to partially trickle down to my French-speaking compatriots.

The vaccination drive is picking up steam here, because more and more vaccines are finally delivered (mainly thanks to BioNTech/Pfizer). Thursday and Friday, over 100,000 people got vaccinated on each day (Belgian population: 11.5 million). Currently, over 20% of the adult population has had at least a first dose. It's still going by age, and my parents (both 68 y/o) have received their invitation letter for next week (Pfizer).

It should now be going faster and faster, and hopefully by the end of June or early July, every adult will have gotten the chance to get a first shot. Remarkable differences in vaccination take-up between Flanders and Brussels/Wallonia, by the way: significantly higher in Flanders (85-90%) than in the south (65-70%). France is pretty vaccine-skeptic, somehow, and this seems to partially trickle down to my French-speaking compatriots.

Then you're faster than us, despite probably having the same amount of vaccine. We're a bit over 15% now. (Or you have more first doses and here more second doses, don't know.)

Edit: Ah, forget it, you say 20% of adults, 15% refer to general population.

Reactions: jmdirt
I report I finally feeling alive and strong :D I had higher temperature about 24 hours. Yesterday I felt sick. Today I feel completely healthy. Sore arm and headache in area of my eyes persist though.
Good to hear you're doing better! :)

I had what felt like a sinus headache after my first Pfizer dose for a few days, but then it went back to wherever it had come from. No biggie, it just means the vaccine is doing what it's supposed, second dose of Pfizer coming up next weekend.

I had what felt like a sinus headache after my first Pfizer dose for a few days, but then it went back to wherever it had come from. No biggie, it just means the vaccine is doing what it's supposed, second dose of Pfizer coming up next weekend.

You're getting your second Pfizer dose about the same time as my husband is. He's getting his second dose a week from Monday. In his case it's 4 weeks apart instead of 3, but that's due to work and where he's having to get it.

Thank you!

It was probably my common headache when I am sick or have fever. It is gone now. Anyway it wasnt that bad after all. Waiting 10 weeks for second dose :D

What about Chile guys? https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/chile/
With their vaccination pace this surge is very worrying.
It shows that vaccination is not sufficient alone to halt outbreaks. Viruses can spread exponentially. Humans can't vaccinate exponentially. Chile at ~40% vaccination is still well below herd immunity so R can still be >1. If the USA had more variants like Chile, we would also have similar issues. Michigan looks a lot like them right now.

Reactions: jmdirt and Keram
Wow, fascinating!

Potential side-effects in HK:

This is old news which I've already mentioned upstream - Think it's up to 13 deaths which in most health authorities have investigated and found no DIRECT cause and effect relationship - This is from close to a million vaccinated people - Hong kong's biggest issue is a general reluctance to be vaccinated - HK's aim is to get at least 50% vaccination rates - This may seem low but all reports fail to exclude under 18's who are unable to be vaccinated which is often 20 to 25% of the population - So when authorities discuss 70 to 80% vaccination rates they are really talking about as a percentage of around 80% of the population.

The China vaccine has a couple problems. Like AZ, it didn't choose the pre-fusion locked version of the spike protein and it is also using the least immunogenic platform. The immune system just doesn't typically respond well to killed/inactivated preparations of virus. The efficacy numbers being reported in various studies seem plausible to me. But, I agree with Yaco that this vaccine still has value. Chile also has contracts with J&J, but it is not like large shipments of that are going to materialize in the near future. Boosting with a more effective vaccine down the road will be possible once the dust settles.

This is old news which I've already mentioned upstream - Think it's up to 13 deaths which in most health authorities have investigated and found no DIRECT cause and effect relationship - This is from close to a million vaccinated people - Hong kong's biggest issue is a general reluctance to be vaccinated - HK's aim is to get at least 50% vaccination rates - This may seem low but all reports fail to exclude under 18's who are unable to be vaccinated which is often 20 to 25% of the population - So when authorities discuss 70 to 80% vaccination rates they are really talking about as a percentage of around 80% of the population.

Thanks for clarifying, I must have missed your previous post.

This is getting ridiculous with these vaccines. A 52 yr old man in critical condition from Covid after receiving the J&J vaccine:

"Man in hospital with Covid-19 after receiving Johnson & Johnson vaccine."

This is actually pretty sad as the prognosis doesn't sound good for this guy. Imagine the joy & relief of finally receiving your Covid vaccine. You're happy, joyful & much relieved that the vaccine that so you eagerly waited for is going to protect you from getting Covid or at least becoming serious ill from an infection. But 5 weeks later you contract the virus and are now fighting for your life.

Deplorable!...and this one of the reasons I'm not interested in these vaccines!

• Wow
The irony is what those type of anecdotes actually illustrate is the need for more vaccination.

Not good for those who counted on protection from some of the variants:

"Isreal COVID-19 study finds "South Africa" variant able to "break through" Pfizer vaccine."

I think the data is more positive than negative. The main takeaway should be the importance of both vaccinations to contain the variants.

View: https://twitter.com/SternLab/status/1380922920734711811

This is getting ridiculous with these vaccines. A 52 yr old man in critical condition from Covid after receiving the J&J vaccine:

"Man in hospital with Covid-19 after receiving Johnson & Johnson vaccine."

This is actually pretty sad as the prognosis doesn't sound good for this guy. Imagine the joy & relief of finally receiving your Covid vaccine. You're happy, joyful & much relieved that the vaccine that so you eagerly waited for is going to protect you from getting Covid or at least becoming serious ill from an infection. But 5 weeks later you contract the virus and are now fighting for your life.

Deplorable!...and this one of the reasons I'm not interested in these vaccines!
You're too silly!

TRENDING THREADS