• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 304 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
Why complain when people are using wrong terminology? Kinda self explanatory. Natural immunity is also terminology used by antivaxxers that has caught on in wider circulation. People who have caught covid don't have natural immunity.

MS is about to pass NJ for the worst mortality rate in the entire US. Golf clap....
Those case numbers and hospital numbers are getting better. Good news. Their obesity and diabetes numbers has a ton to do with the mortality.

No...but people that have been infected by Covid have natural antibody protection & memory B-cells that recognize any future re-infections. As an M.D., you know all this very well - so why do you keep undermining the power of natural antibody protection with those tens of millions of Americans that have already been infected & recovered from the virus? Therefore, many of these people are hesitant to take the vaccine but get lumped into the ad nuseam "anti-vaxx" category.

Shouldn't be a big surprise since MS is the #1 state with the highest obesity rate (over 40%!). In fact, 9 out of the top 10 are Southern states where the highest deaths & hospitalization rates have been occurring:
Just in case it was unclear, I am not an MD. I do medical research and occasionally teach med students. I do not see patients.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. The previously infected should not be grouped with the immune naive who are unvaccinated and had no prior infection. The data on acquired immunity due to infection looks really good. But, we don't have to make up a term like 'natural immunity' to make that point.

High obesity and frighteningly low vaccination rates are bad combinations. Again, no argument.

Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
When I go to the gym I usually triple mask, double glove and wear a fish bowl on my head to protect from eye and scalp transmission
Last time I went to any gym I should have worn a hazmat suit. Ended up with Ringworm on a shin from unclean equipment. Have not been interested in public gyms since and a year before Covid. Lot's of germies at work in that environment....some don't sell steroids, though. You just catch them for free.

Those case numbers and hospital numbers are getting better. Good news. Their obesity and diabetes numbers has a ton to do with the mortality.
This is absolutely true..and if you look at Western culture and economies,there is your problem in a nutshell. You have big arga and big pharma driving the economies,therefore driving the culture..If you eat an American diet without reading the label many things can happen..but most likely..a visit to McDonald's,Wendy's,KFC,Taco Bell..the list is endless..one meal is going to exceed your salt,fat,sugar and calories for the day if not into the next days recommended maximums..So are Big Macs in excess as dangerous as not wearing a mask? Probably yes,or even more.
It is dumb,unfortunate that obesity is not being discussed as a primary Covid contributor rather than ignored completely. Big public backlash about treating everyone at equal risk when that is clearly not the case..so what do you do or say to the chubby -fat when a pandemic overruns your overweight population?
I am not expecting any answers hard or easy because there are none..The fact that 1 in every 500 are dead is of our own making..chicken and egg stuff.
rather than concentrate on which bathroom our tiny school students wish to use..we should care less about other factors and concentrate on what % of the population is overweight..pandemic has punctuated it...but diabetes,heart disease,disability, immobility all were dovetailed into Covid-19..Perfect storm of sorts..and the storm looks like it could pass in 10-20 years if we started today working together..but I think that the food and drug industries will tell us Hot Pockets and Lypitor are better than any alternatives..

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
Will these turn out to be fake stories? The news source is so unreliable its hard to take them seriously.
If the story is true its sad those Nurses worked on saving lives during all last year knowing their own saftey was at risk and now they face firings for not wanting to take a vaccine.
Same with the French health workers.
But I don't trust a single story from the guardian. They are more focused on the sexiest man on earth than confirming sources and stories.

Scientific Consensus. Sure if you say so.
I don't. These virologists do. Cell is the pinnacle of scientific publishing. You may not like that it is the consensus opinion of scientists, but you can't really argue that it isn't the current consensus opinion. Of course, new information can always change that. That is how science works.

Reactions: jmdirt
SARS-CoV-2 aside, I hope that any medical personnel who ever have to treat me are smarter than these people interviewed! How did they get through their training without some basic understanding? I'd prefer that they do quit so that they don't cause harm (covid or other).

Yes...I'm aware of the study and here's a paper on the same issue from the BMJ just released yesterday:

My intention is to go with one dose (Pfizer is the vaccine my health carrier is currently using). Definitely I would not do two doses since I have previous infection & according to this study, the side-effect risks goes up exponentially with the 2nd dose.

But I'm facing another problem with one dose because everything on these mandates & passports is contingent on the "two-dose fully vaccinated" status. So, as it stands now I'll be treated as an unvaccinated "bad guy" with just the one shot but yet I'll add to the overall national vaccinated count. Go figure.

Just do it. Got my 2nd Pfizer shot two weeks ago (Australia was a slow starter on vaccine rollout). Only side effect was a sore left shoulder for one day and it had no effect on my strength out training. The worst side effect I've heard was a work colleague who had mild flu symptoms.

SARS-CoV-2 aside, I hope that any medical personnel who ever have to treat me are smarter than these people interviewed! How did they get through their training without some basic understanding? I'd prefer that they do quit so that they don't cause harm (covid or other).
I think that if you step back one,two,three steps then this argument \ philosophy \belief \ superstition \ conspiracy looks even sillier..
Take states like Florida,Louisiana,Texas and Arizona..look at the huge list of government mandated vaccines..the list(s) are pretty extensive..not so much at the kindergarten level but the gauntlet drops in grade school and the number of shots you did need pre pandemic,pandemic and whatever the period we are in now..the lists have not changed..
So you have to approach this on a family level..adult health care workers expressing their opinion only to reveal that they don't have a grasp of the basics is one thing..but what about reality..what about their parents? We probably need to have the discussion about vaccines now in case this morphs into something out of bounds..out of control..If people don't get polio vaccine before entering elementary school..typhoid..mumps,measles ..can any of us image what a resurfacing,a resurgence of these would mean for our society? These same health care workers got vaccinated as kids..and as a result lived on to adulthood to argue there merits..
Apropos ..look at the places where vaccine equals fear and death..brutal idiots attacking aid workers trying to fight,AIDs Ebola and others..I never imagined words coming from the mouths of health care professionals in the United States that are identical to some fanatic w a machete,AK-47 in the 3rd world..
So it goes something like..I'm cool w Tuberculosis,Measles,Mumps, rubella,Polio ,ect vaccines..but NFW..over my dead body am I getting a Covid vaccine..and if you want to make it super super duper more confusing..I was all behind the other guy spending money at warp speed for Operation Warp Speed to save our lives,but now that he is out,everything..including the vaccines he was instrumental in developing are trash..I lost my interest in vaccine post election day..how does this make sense?

Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin
Well I know the hospitals in Raleigh/Durham aren't completely full of Covid patients as my husband was admitted (UNC - Chapel Hill hospital) on Monday. First there is a bad interaction between two medications, second they are confused and suspect some other underlying issue that they haven't found yet. He's having a biopsy to remove a lymph node tomorrow. They are going to run a ton of tests and then formulate a plan to try to get him healthy again. Fingers crossed they are able to figure out what is going on.

Last time I went to any gym I should have worn a hazmat suit. Ended up with Ringworm on a shin from unclean equipment. Have not been interested in public gyms since and a year before Covid. Lot's of germies at work in that environment....some don't sell steroids, though. You just catch them for free.
In 40+ yrs of lifting at various gyms I can't say I've ever experienced anything like that. This goes back to my intial lifting days in HS & college football (late 70s) up through to the present day. I did 10 yrs of competitive bodybuilding & powerlifting back in the 1980s at a real dump of a gym that was exclusively for hardcore bodybuilders. The owner, a thirtysomething struggling bodybuilder, lived in a little room in the back of gym. He couldn't afford custodial staff & he never bothered cleaning the joint himself. This was a real cesspool for germs and I was surprised I've never got any bacterial infections. Lol. Nowadays, the gym I'm at is state of the art in equipment, locker room facilities & aquatics area. Plus the staff wipes down & sanitizes the equipment still every hour or so (Covid protocol upon re-opening). The gym is actually more sanitized than my home. Lol.

Last edited:
Are they required to have anti-body and current viral testing? Makes sense, to a point.
2 things about this story. 1) They need a prior PCR positive test result. 2) This ' vaccine refusal' is actually a 12 month delay in the mandate with the clock starting on the date of that PCR positive test. Their big peak was last November and December, so the sand in the hourglass will be running out for many people soon. For other vaccines, you can get titers to check your levels if you have lost the documentation or are unsure if you have gotten the shots. I am not aware of a test like that for COVID. The extant antibody tests are more qualitative than quantitative. And the amount of titer that correlates with immune protection is not determined AFAIK.

The update for my workplace is that 98% of students and 94% of employees have been vaccinated. More evidence that the article about vaccine hesitance for PhDs was mostly BS.

Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
I think that if you step back one,two,three steps then this argument \ philosophy \belief \ superstition \ conspiracy looks even sillier..
Take states like Florida,Louisiana,Texas and Arizona..look at the huge list of government mandated vaccines..the list(s) are pretty extensive..not so much at the kindergarten level but the gauntlet drops in grade school and the number of shots you did need pre pandemic,pandemic and whatever the period we are in now..the lists have not changed..
So you have to approach this on a family level..adult health care workers expressing their opinion only to reveal that they don't have a grasp of the basics is one thing..but what about reality..what about their parents? We probably need to have the discussion about vaccines now in case this morphs into something out of bounds..out of control..If people don't get polio vaccine before entering elementary school..typhoid..mumps,measles ..can any of us image what a resurfacing,a resurgence of these would mean for our society? These same health care workers got vaccinated as kids..and as a result lived on to adulthood to argue there merits..
Apropos ..look at the places where vaccine equals fear and death..brutal idiots attacking aid workers trying to fight,AIDs Ebola and others..I never imagined words coming from the mouths of health care professionals in the United States that are identical to some fanatic w a machete,AK-47 in the 3rd world..
So it goes something like..I'm cool w Tuberculosis,Measles,Mumps, rubella,Polio ,ect vaccines..but NFW..over my dead body am I getting a Covid vaccine..and if you want to make it super super duper more confusing..I was all behind the other guy spending money at warp speed for Operation Warp Speed to save our lives,but now that he is out,everything..including the vaccines he was instrumental in developing are trash..I lost my interest in vaccine post election day..how does this make sense?
Flu Shot

TRENDING THREADS