• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 331 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
My, do you ever look outside your country? There are dozens of countries around the world with totally different kind of political leadership who have a lot stricter rules than the US, pretty much every country wants as much of their population to be vaccinated. It's just incredible how political this topic must be in the US and how you keep on framing this as a question of liberals or republicans. You can look at this from several angles and maybe in the end it will turn out that vaccinations weren't as helpful as hoped for, but this sounds like the US is the world and it's all about left-right. That's, sorry, bs. If you really believe the call for masks and vaccinations is a plot of your government to control you, help Dan Brown write his next thriller instead of spreading these views online.
Everyone should have an opinion and allowed to voice that opinion. Nope the USA is not world. Varying actions on Covid is expected. Why not discuss.

Boise, ID local news and the PBS news hour are being factual. I'm not getting a sense of panic from either.
To give one specific example, after the NFL game ended last night the local news had an early edition/post game edition. News anchor: "what do we known about the new covid variant, not much. We talked with Dr. (epidemiologist of the largest health care system Idaho)". Dr.: "We just don't know enough yet to draw any conclusions, but we have no reason to believe that immunity will be greatly affected at this point...". He went on to talk about the research that is being done that will start to give us some answers soon, but he never 'sounded a panic alarm'.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
To give one specific example, after the NFL game ended last night the local news had an early edition/post game edition. News anchor: "what do we known about the new covid variant, not much. We talked with Dr. (epidemiologist of the largest health care system Idaho)". Dr.: "We just don't know enough yet to draw any conclusions, but we have no reason to believe that immunity will be greatly affected at this point...". He went on to talk about the research that is being done that will start to give us some answers soon, but he never 'sounded a panic alarm'.
Yet the panic has caused countries to put travel bans in place and are considering additional lockdowns and mask mandates. ALL of those without knowing all the info on the variant.

Reactions: Cookster15
After all the talk about the virus attenuating as it becomes more transmissible, it doesn't look like omicron is more transmissible than delta. Shows the importance of immune evasion.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/trvrb/status/1465364317931393025
Not good at all. All concept of green passes can be throw in the bin with this. However if vaccination and imunnity from prior infection will cause mild cases it is some good news in generally bad news.

Interesting thread.
12/15
"For Ω = 90%, we obtain an immune evasion of 31% (95% CI: 11-52%) ‘only’. This clearly illustrates the current level of uncertainty about Omicron, and I want to emphasize again the preliminary character of these calculations. 12/15"
View: https://twitter.com/C_Althaus/status/1464922717417787393

What this looks like to me, at this moment, as that we may be looking at two pandemics at the same time: delta and omicron. Immunity for one (whether through vaccines or disease) doesn't protect <well> against the other. It reminds me a bit about flu shots: they have to make reasoned guesses as the which strains will be dominant in the flu season, because there are several of them. If they guess wrong, the flu vaccine is not very helpful.

In a way, it amazes me the ease with which the virus seems to mutate. How many more variations are possible?

Yet the panic has caused countries to put travel bans in place and are considering additional lockdowns and mask mandates. ALL of those without knowing all the info on the variant.
If you read this it's just so,so ultra over the top dangerous for America and the world..the world doesn't turn on an American axis..American exceptionalism isnt. The world is taking it's direction from an Idaho evening news cast..that's a huge strange reality to exist in. And other countries reacting should be seen as uncoordinated not a well balanced team approach. As has been stated by most of the United States western allies communication eroded for 4 years,didn't increase or become refined and routine.
And now post after post after post after...the media this, the media that CNN,Fox,OAN, ABC,ect,ect,ect..Joe Rogan,Tucker Carlson,Alex Jones, Oprah..all punctuate,to death, what an idiotic approach having town by tiny town accumulate,data, come up with action plan for citizen health,prevention and treatment of Covid..many small places having volunteer fire departments,no ambulances, or hospitals. Many American communities so small,so remote,so poor or a combination there of not to have even..a doctor..not one doctor. But the buffoon in charge said each whatever should fight the war on Covid the best they can..get information from wherever they think is a good place. That good place even recently maybe a UFC host podcast or local veterinary supply. But no matter where you look.
The United States federal government should have mobilized,like in any war an office, calling it an emergency agency of information..the daily press briefings,the meetings of the Covid task force that were disconnected,discontinued because of a personal trajectory of an ballot outcome was,is criminal. The void left by not having critical,vetted,centralized voice,of data is an utter deadly disaster. To see what and who has filled the void is a national disgrace.
For any American to live in the delusion that the United States is driving the ship, others are looking at us as an example of success is f-cking silly,deranged.
We needed a centralized approach,leadership and clear information..everyone saw what happened. Bob Woodward recorded it..you can't rewrite history..you can't un- kill 777,000+ people in the United States..
The idea that people are taking their ques from the US when they impose a curfew, restriction or travel ban is how we got here..ask Americans where we rank in health outcomes compared with the other westerners..ouch..then keep going on obesity,health care( average visits, care)..the math and science scores..no don't look at those!!!
Who knows what this catastrophe would have looked like had we had truth,accurate information,consistent information,national health policy.
We have communities doing bake sales and car washes because they don't have money for basics and the federal government flipping the hot potato into their town..handle Covid cowboy,don't be a wimp, pull up your bootstraps,it's only the flu..

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
If you read this it's just so,so ultra over the top dangerous for America and the world..the world doesn't turn on an American axis..American exceptionalism isnt. The world is taking it's direction from an Idaho evening news cast..that's a huge strange reality to exist in. And other countries reacting should be seen as uncoordinated not a well balanced team approach. As has been stated by most of the United States western allies communication eroded for 4 years,didn't increase or become refined and routine.
And now post after post after post after...the media this, the media that CNN,Fox,OAN, ABC,ect,ect,ect..Joe Rogan,Tucker Carlson,Alex Jones, Oprah..all punctuate,to death, what an idiotic approach having town by tiny town accumulate,data, come up with action plan for citizen health,prevention and treatment of Covid..many small places having volunteer fire departments,no ambulances, or hospitals. Many American communities so small,so remote,so poor or a combination there of not to have even..a doctor..not one doctor. But the buffoon in charge said each whatever should fight the war on Covid the best they can..get information from wherever they think is a good place. That good place even recently maybe a UFC host podcast or local veterinary supply. But no matter where you look.
The United States federal government should have mobilized,like in any war an office, calling it an emergency agency of information..the daily press briefings,the meetings of the Covid task force that were disconnected,discontinued because of a personal trajectory of an ballot outcome was,is criminal. The void left by not having critical,vetted,centralized voice,of data is an utter deadly disaster. To see what and who has filled the void is a national disgrace.
For any American to live in the delusion that the United States is driving the ship, others are looking at us as an example of success is f-cking silly,deranged.
We needed a centralized approach,leadership and clear information..everyone saw what happened. Bob Woodward recorded it..you can't rewrite history..you can't un- kill 777,000+ people in the United States..
The idea that people are taking their ques from the US when they impose a curfew, restriction or travel ban is how we got here..ask Americans where we rank in health outcomes compared with the other westerners..ouch..then keep going on obesity,health care( average visits, care)..the math and science scores..no don't look at those!!!
Who knows what this catastrophe would have looked like had we had truth,accurate information,consistent information,national health policy.
We have communities doing bake sales and car washes because they don't have money for basics and the federal government flipping the hot potato into their town..handle Covid cowboy,don't be a wimp, pull up your bootstraps,it's only the flu..
I was talking about "Countries" not states within the USA. Specifically like Europe and UK travel bans and Japan shutting down their border for a few examples. The rest of what you posted is off base. I have never mentioned any of the media sources you point at. You have though. And you keep injecting politics into the discussion. Surprised no one has called you out on it.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
Last edited:
Just for clarification: I hope that the world doesn't even listen to Idaho news casts let alone take direction from them. My point was that several people keep raging on about how the media is 'freaking people out', but that's not the case in my world. The news that I have seen and read is telling people to hang tight until there are answers. Sure, I see the travel restrictions, but don't see that as 'panic' just a way to buy a few days. It does seem strange to me though that people rant about the media 'creating fear' when a virus has killed so many people.

Mod hat on:

This thread is becoming far too political. This is a general warning that this needs to stop. Please be aware that if it comes to it, political posts will be what we as a group of mods deem political and will result in bans, this should be taken into account if you continue to post in here.

Cheers,

KB.

Reactions: Koronin

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
Just for clarification: I hope that the world doesn't even listen to Idaho news casts let alone take direction from them. My point was that several people keep raging on about how the media is 'freaking people out', but that's not the case in my world. The news that I have seen and read is telling people to hang tight until there are answers. Sure, I see the travel restrictions, but don't see that as 'panic' just a way to buy a few days. It does seem strange to me though that people rant about the media 'creating fear' when a virus has killed so many people.
Its not strange at all. They push fear over facts with respect to covid and variants. It is the media and strange how anyone can defend the media at this point, considering many examples of pushing biases and fear. Many of these media sources like the rest of the world do not have all the facts on the new variant. But some of the headlines were trash.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
Some good news yesterday. This would especially be good for the variant identified recently.

"The Merck drug is taken twice a day for five days and works by causing a cascade of disabling mutations in the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus during replication. The drug is intended for use by people with mild to moderate illness and who are at high risk of developing severe COVID-19. It is supposed to be taken within five days of symptoms. "

Reactions: Keram and Koronin
Some good news yesterday. This would especially be good for the variant identified recently.

"The Merck drug is taken twice a day for five days and works by causing a cascade of disabling mutations in the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus during replication. The drug is intended for use by people with mild to moderate illness and who are at high risk of developing severe COVID-19. It is supposed to be taken within five days of symptoms. "

I dont want to be too optimistic but this is what world needs together with vaccines. The pill you take at home when you are sick. Potential game changer.

Edit: this drug has quite a low eficacy though

Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin
Omicron has been confirmed in the USA today. There still no need to panic because we still do not know what we are dealing with. Hopefully scientist are getting close to having some answers though.

EDIT: the person traveled from South Africa according to reports.
I don't know if anybody else caught this live, but one of the journalists asked Fauci if we should let omicron spread to replace delta. After nearly 2 years, it is criminal how uninformed much of the press is about viruses. The barely veiled contempt from Fauci is the best part.
View: https://mobile.twitter.com/Acyn/status/1466122257713881090

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
I don't know if anybody else caught this live, but one of the journalists asked Fauci if we should let omicron spread to replace delta. After nearly 2 years, it is criminal how uninformed much of the press is about viruses. The barely veiled contempt from Fauci is the best part.
View: https://mobile.twitter.com/Acyn/status/1466122257713881090
Terrible question. I wonder where the reporter works.

Fauci is so full of himself that I tune him out.

When the news play a story over and over along with print media over and over. As if its on a loop with no new facts then its panic sensationalized story telling.
None of the Sources you put in your post are that great with the exception of CBS. No one mentioned sad and manipulated until you brought it up in your post. As you said before - You are like the other gas huffer around here.
You mentioned sad and manipulating. The rest of your post is a future conjecture and assumes certain actual behaviors. I've been out of town (in free State Idaho) and even the locals wouldn't know what you are speculating about. They don't want to be further impacted by speculative mandates.
As for your personal characterization...do you run to the Mods or does someone else? I got no time.

TRENDING THREADS