• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 332 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
You mentioned sad and manipulating. The rest of your post is a future conjecture and assumes certain actual behaviors. I've been out of town (in free State Idaho) and even the locals wouldn't know what you are speculating about. They don't want to be further impacted by speculative mandates.
As for your personal characterization...do you run to the Mods or does someone else? I got no time.
Yeah my bad I did say that. Its similar to when you were asking me for links about something I did not post previously. I apologize for the mistake. Remember you started the personal characterizations and the politics previously. Covid is a difficult subject for most to separate but it is possible you can do and be better.

Fauci is so full of himself that I tune him out.
This just might be the book for you:

I just started reading it myself. RFK, Jr has done excellent research backed up by solid references. The Pharma-Fauci-Gates alliance is a dominating factor over global health policy.

I can't stand the aristocrat myself. I knew he had an agenda to vaxx up every living human when he refuses to acknowledge & accept natural immunity. Then comes that pharma-funded BS CDC study that diminishes natural immunity in favor of vaccine immunity. I don't watch the pharma-funded TV news outlets so all I need to do is swipe my mobile screen when any news alerts about him appear. Lol.

Reactions: Ultrairon
This just might be the book for you:

I just started reading it myself. RFK, Jr has done excellent research backed up by solid references. The Pharma-Fauci-Gates alliance is a dominating factor over global health policy.

I can't stand the aristocrat myself. I knew he had an agenda to vaxx up every living human when he refuses to acknowledge & accept natural immunity. Then comes that pharma-funded BS CDC study that diminishes natural immunity in favor of vaccine immunity. I don't watch the pharma-funded TV news outlets so all I need to do is swipe my mobile screen when any news alerts about him appear. Lol.

RFK Jr must have been disappointed his former kin wasn't reincarnated in Dallas.
To your point about Fauci: he's been trolling these waters for a long time with ineffective bait until Covid came along and politics gave his brand of journalism a boost:
from 2017---LOL as you say!
Exclusive Q&A: Robert F. Kennedy Jr. on Trump's proposed vaccine commission | Science | AAAS
Exclusive Q&A: Robert F. Kennedy Jr. on Trump's proposed vaccine commission
President-elect has Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in his sights
Robert F. Kennedy Jr.
ALEX MILAN TRACY/SIPA USA SILENTSECOND.COM/FLICKR (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0) >
SHARE:

Environmental attorney Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., an outspoken vaccine critic, said today that he was asked by President-elect Donald Trump to chair a "vaccine safety and scientific integrity" commission. (A Trump spokesperson, however, later said that "no decisions have been made at this time" about such a commission.) Kennedy espouses discredited links between vaccines and neurological disorders, including autism. He has also been harshly critical of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which recommends the childhood vaccine schedule. Scientists and others have fiercely disputed Kennedy's claims.
ScienceInsider caught up with Kennedy by telephone in an airport flight lounge shortly after he met with Trump in New York City. He made it clear that CDC's vaccine scientists and practices will be a major focus of the commission's work. Excerpts from our interview, which have been edited for brevity and clarity, appear below.

Q: What happened in the meeting?
A:
It was an hour meeting and the vice president–elect came in to the last 15 minutes. The meeting was with [Trump] and Kellyanne Conway [recently appointed counselor to the president].
Q: Did the president-elect request the meeting or did you?
ADVERTISEMENT

A:
He called me a week ago to request it.
Q: Why?
A:
He wants to make sure that we have the best vaccine science and the safest vaccine supply that we can have.
Q: Did the president-elect indicate that he doesn't believe that to be the case at the moment?
A:
He is troubled by questions of the links between certain vaccines and the epidemic of neurodevelopmental disorders including autism. And he has a number—he told me five—friends, he talked about each one of them, who has the same story of a child, a perfectly healthy child who went into a wellness visit around age 2, got a battery of vaccines, spiked a fever, and then developed a suite of deficits in the 3 months following the vaccine.
He said that he understood that anecdote was not science, but said that if there's enough anecdotal evidence … that we'd be arrogant to dismiss it. Those were his words.
Q: Was there a particular vaccine he felt was culpable?
A:
He doesn't know whether it's the schedule or the sheer number of vaccines or the age at which they're given or the ingredients.
Q: Did the president-elect mention CDC?
A:
We talked a lot about CDC and ways to increase the independence from financial conflicts at CDC in the vaccine division.
Q: You said that the commission is to delve into "vaccine safety and scientific integrity." What is that second piece about?
A:
To make sure that we're getting good science out of CDC.
Q: It's all about CDC? It's not about "scientific integrity" in chemistry or physics or basic biology or anywhere else?
A:
Exactly. [CDC] is the locus of most of the most serious problems with the vaccine program, the two divisions at CDC: the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices and the Immunization Safety Office, which is where the scientists are.
Q: How many people will be on the commission?
A:
A dozen people—a mix between science people and prominent Americans.
Q: Who will you ask to serve?
A:
I couldn't tell you. I just finished meeting with the president-elect an hour ago.
Q: When you say "science people," do you mean experts from the scientific establishment?
A:
Prominent scientists.
Q: Do you mean prominent vaccinologists who believe in the safety and efficacy of today's vaccines?
A:
We are going to look for people who have expertise in toxicology, epidemiology, and in public health.
Q: When does the president-elect want you to have the commission in place?
A:
We didn't talk about the details but he expressed urgency about it. That he wanted it done—we talked about a 1-year commitment.
Q: It's an unpaid panel?
A:
Yes.
Q: Do you have scientific training?
A:
No. My background is I'm an environmental lawyer. I'm not a scientist. But I have an expertise, I would say, in reading science and spotting junk science because that's what I do with most of my time.
Q: Rates of childhood infectious diseases have plummeted over the past half-century or so. Are you out to return us to the dark ages?
A:
I am for vaccines. I have been tracking mercury in fish for 30 years and nobody has called me antifish. I am pro-vaccine. I had all my kids vaccinated. I think vaccines save lives. But we are also seeing an explosion in neurodevelopmental disorders and we ought to be able to do a cost-benefit analysis and see what's causing them. We ought to have robust, transparent science and an independent regulatory agency. Nobody is trying to get rid of vaccines here. I just want safe vaccines.

RFK Jr must have been disappointed his former kin wasn't reincarnated in Dallas.
To your point about Fauci: he's been trolling these waters for a long time with ineffective bait until Covid came along and politics gave his brand of journalism a boost:
from 2017---LOL as you say!
Exclusive Q&A: Robert F. Kennedy Jr. on Trump's proposed vaccine commission | Science | AAAS
Exclusive Q&A: Robert F. Kennedy Jr. on Trump's proposed vaccine commission
President-elect has Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in his sights
Robert F. Kennedy Jr.
ALEX MILAN TRACY/SIPA USA SILENTSECOND.COM/FLICKR (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0) >
SHARE:

Environmental attorney Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., an outspoken vaccine critic, said today that he was asked by President-elect Donald Trump to chair a "vaccine safety and scientific integrity" commission. (A Trump spokesperson, however, later said that "no decisions have been made at this time" about such a commission.) Kennedy espouses discredited links between vaccines and neurological disorders, including autism. He has also been harshly critical of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which recommends the childhood vaccine schedule. Scientists and others have fiercely disputed Kennedy's claims.
ScienceInsider caught up with Kennedy by telephone in an airport flight lounge shortly after he met with Trump in New York City. He made it clear that CDC's vaccine scientists and practices will be a major focus of the commission's work. Excerpts from our interview, which have been edited for brevity and clarity, appear below.

Q: What happened in the meeting?
A:
It was an hour meeting and the vice president–elect came in to the last 15 minutes. The meeting was with [Trump] and Kellyanne Conway [recently appointed counselor to the president].
Q: Did the president-elect request the meeting or did you?
ADVERTISEMENT

A:
He called me a week ago to request it.
Q: Why?
A:
He wants to make sure that we have the best vaccine science and the safest vaccine supply that we can have.
Q: Did the president-elect indicate that he doesn't believe that to be the case at the moment?
A:
He is troubled by questions of the links between certain vaccines and the epidemic of neurodevelopmental disorders including autism. And he has a number—he told me five—friends, he talked about each one of them, who has the same story of a child, a perfectly healthy child who went into a wellness visit around age 2, got a battery of vaccines, spiked a fever, and then developed a suite of deficits in the 3 months following the vaccine.
He said that he understood that anecdote was not science, but said that if there's enough anecdotal evidence … that we'd be arrogant to dismiss it. Those were his words.
Q: Was there a particular vaccine he felt was culpable?
A:
He doesn't know whether it's the schedule or the sheer number of vaccines or the age at which they're given or the ingredients.
Q: Did the president-elect mention CDC?
A:
We talked a lot about CDC and ways to increase the independence from financial conflicts at CDC in the vaccine division.
Q: You said that the commission is to delve into "vaccine safety and scientific integrity." What is that second piece about?
A:
To make sure that we're getting good science out of CDC.
Q: It's all about CDC? It's not about "scientific integrity" in chemistry or physics or basic biology or anywhere else?
A:
Exactly. [CDC] is the locus of most of the most serious problems with the vaccine program, the two divisions at CDC: the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices and the Immunization Safety Office, which is where the scientists are.
Q: How many people will be on the commission?
A:
A dozen people—a mix between science people and prominent Americans.
Q: Who will you ask to serve?
A:
I couldn't tell you. I just finished meeting with the president-elect an hour ago.
Q: When you say "science people," do you mean experts from the scientific establishment?
A:
Prominent scientists.
Q: Do you mean prominent vaccinologists who believe in the safety and efficacy of today's vaccines?
A:
We are going to look for people who have expertise in toxicology, epidemiology, and in public health.
Q: When does the president-elect want you to have the commission in place?
A:
We didn't talk about the details but he expressed urgency about it. That he wanted it done—we talked about a 1-year commitment.
Q: It's an unpaid panel?
A:
Yes.
Q: Do you have scientific training?
A:
No. My background is I'm an environmental lawyer. I'm not a scientist. But I have an expertise, I would say, in reading science and spotting junk science because that's what I do with most of my time.
Q: Rates of childhood infectious diseases have plummeted over the past half-century or so. Are you out to return us to the dark ages?
A:
I am for vaccines. I have been tracking mercury in fish for 30 years and nobody has called me antifish. I am pro-vaccine. I had all my kids vaccinated. I think vaccines save lives. But we are also seeing an explosion in neurodevelopmental disorders and we ought to be able to do a cost-benefit analysis and see what's causing them. We ought to have robust, transparent science and an independent regulatory agency. Nobody is trying to get rid of vaccines here. I just want safe vaccines.
Its not vaccines, its GMOs (for starters). I'll stop since going farther would likely pull the discussion off topic.

• Haha
In the insightful words of the moderator,..got to get back on subject or this thread or any other degenerate into mush.
so trying to answer the question:
Covid 19 how dangerous is it? @800,000 dead in the United States. Hundreds of thousands more effected directly, and obviously subjective @330,000,000 million people in the country effected.
And to weave in a little more of the moderator, me not being a moderator..
Covid is not an issue,it's not a point of view,not a party, or platform..you can't vote on it's existence,demise or path..it's not something you can choose to participate in or not. No matter how heated debate gets anywhere, it's us( citizens of the world) debating,arguing and the virus is a non participant, but is the subject.
I for one don't know squat about airborne liquid disease droplets, what they are,how they act, how lingering they are,how infectious and to who..
My lack of expertise is based on less than @20 hours of reading I have done. So I try and put into perspective my hours vs the decades of experience of thousands of qualified doctors and professionals,scientists, subject matter experts.
And through a medium sized cultural lense..How dangerous is Covid in my country..for a short time it was the second leading cause of death. For a while it enemy number one for certain demographics.
So I think to lower the temperature on a conversation that looks to be incendiary..non opion is a good place to start..

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ8cmVR56iI

I enjoy lots of their content on many subjects. I find it fascinating about the language. I am intimidated by car repair or a complicated dinner order in German. During my time in Germany, a pretty standard path forward was volkshochschule..and in my experience with the culture, many if not all education and employment opportunities depended on proficiency in the German language. So when I see things about foreign nationals as pivotal roles in German health care I am way,way more than skeptical about what that looks like and how it could work. If I were asked the same about Flemish, Afrikaans,or Mexican Spanish dialects I would say it is impossible to be an effective treatment provider so years of at least immersion in the language.

First person Facebook testimonials are a big part of it. A disease where 99% get better without any treatment is great for snake oil salesmen. And people are just incredibly gullible and uninformed on most issues.
Fake testimoniials and product reviews are common these days just about everywhere. Amazon used to even sell books by well known plagiarists and authors would be caught reviewing their own books under phony IDs. Maybe bleach and horse medicine had become hard to find ?

Last edited:

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
First person Facebook testimonials are a big part of it. A disease where 99% get better without any treatment is great for snake oil salesmen. And people are just incredibly gullible and uninformed on most issues.
A really good reason why facebook and twitter should die off like myspace. Those places are like the National Enquirer. Its the same with people who are into cycling / swimming / running and they get injured. Most times the person will go online first to try and find a cure to fix the injury. When the best course of action is a doctor.
A 32 year old at my place of employment got covid. He was vaxed, after he took the home test he just sat at home trying to self medicate. A week later he was in the hospital ICU. He almost passed away. I remember in a TEAMS meeting someone suggested he go to the doctor and he brushed it off.

As all have seen in the United States,living the reality of a communication revolution. Everywhere you look things are simply useless for the most part, phone booths? Toll booths? Landlines? The emergency dispatch system is so broken a do over is not possible for local municipalities, they can't make a new 911 system without complete cooperation from cellular providers. So if and when you have a personal emergency or a public emergency, some crisis management issue..Facebook is a great starting place..for wildfires,tornados, social media outlets can give speed and capacity for data that a big speaker on the town water tower can't. Blanket robo calls warning of an approaching disaster are sub standard and a Facebook message to thousands in one community can tell people what is happening,when,where and where to go for shelter and services.. Here is the location of the nearest fall out shelter or emergency medical center..
With Covid, like black Friday sales advertisements, community specific information could,still can be transmitted using a relatively high level of accuracy. In your area 4 people from Mary's Donuts and 11people from Duff's Tavern tested positive today,act accordingly,if you or someone at your house was there get tested. Tom Jones the downtown barber is hospitalized if you got a haircut there get tested..kind of a modern day method to avoid Typhoid Mary.
The internet and social media can be used for the greater good and awesome cat videos at the same time..pumpkin bread recipes and life saving medical and emergency data can be dispatched and displayed on the same platform. Like the pumpkin bread recipe, who posts the information and it's accuracy can also be established on Facebook and other platforms if that is what the public demands..kind of amazing that on one site I know about Roman Kreuziger, Cav, Sagan, Armstrong,cyclocross and gravel race results, recipes and Covid..
And as a tiny punk, I wore a path in the carpet at the bookstore as I checked daily to see if the new copy of Winning or Velonews had arrived. Had to look at a clunky newspaper or magazine for ads for races in Florida,Louisiana,New York ,Massachusetts,Illinois,Wisconsin and other places while I was in S.Cal..I used to save a small book of franchise hotels, Super 8, Motel 6, ect all to have phone number and address for a possible room for my racing accommodations..Facebook replacing all that..and the incredible journey of contacting the Belgian bike racing federation and getting details on what was needed for an American to face there, then Germany,,Holland,England..a bunch of money and time replaced by world wide web and social media..
in western countries the tools that were,are available to combat Covid are vast,plentiful ,we see what has happened..at least we got the cat videos and how to change the spark plug videos right

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
As all have seen in the United States,living the reality of a communication revolution. Everywhere you look things are simply useless for the most part, phone booths? Toll booths? Landlines? The emergency dispatch system is so broken a do over is not possible for local municipalities, they can't make a new 911 system without complete cooperation from cellular providers. So if and when you have a personal emergency or a public emergency, some crisis management issue..Facebook is a great starting place..for wildfires,tornados, social media outlets can give speed and capacity for data that a big speaker on the town water tower can't. Blanket robo calls warning of an approaching disaster are sub standard and a Facebook message to thousands in one community can tell people what is happening,when,where and where to go for shelter and services.. Here is the location of the nearest fall out shelter or emergency medical center..
With Covid, like black Friday sales advertisements, community specific information could,still can be transmitted using a relatively high level of accuracy. In your area 4 people from Mary's Donuts and 11people from Duff's Tavern tested positive today,act accordingly,if you or someone at your house was there get tested. Tom Jones the downtown barber is hospitalized if you got a haircut there get tested..kind of a modern day method to avoid Typhoid Mary.
The internet and social media can be used for the greater good and awesome cat videos at the same time..pumpkin bread recipes and life saving medical and emergency data can be dispatched and displayed on the same platform. Like the pumpkin bread recipe, who posts the information and it's accuracy can also be established on Facebook and other platforms if that is what the public demands..kind of amazing that on one site I know about Roman Kreuziger, Cav, Sagan, Armstrong,cyclocross and gravel race results, recipes and Covid..
And as a tiny punk, I wore a path in the carpet at the bookstore as I checked daily to see if the new copy of Winning or Velonews had arrived. Had to look at a clunky newspaper or magazine for ads for races in Florida,Louisiana,New York ,Massachusetts,Illinois,Wisconsin and other places while I was in S.Cal..I used to save a small book of franchise hotels, Super 8, Motel 6, ect all to have phone number and address for a possible room for my racing accommodations..Facebook replacing all that..and the incredible journey of contacting the Belgian bike racing federation and getting details on what was needed for an American to face there, then Germany,,Holland,England..a bunch of money and time replaced by world wide web and social media..
in western countries the tools that were,are available to combat Covid are vast,plentiful ,we see what has happened..at least we got the cat videos and how to change the spark plug videos right
total slant at politics. Other ramblings. Covid is out there and you should do better.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
I see Houston, Tmax around 25 °C. I guess there is much of your answer. Pretty much like summer here - which is when respiratory diseases are almost absent.

Or do you believe in magic?
LOL did you see the numbers during the past summer? Graphs are out there even in the link I posted. Delta is still there in Houston. Nothing has changed even the vax rate is the same. You are in Houston then you should know. I don't think magic is involved at all, I do think the mask and distance mandates have little to do with the waves of cases we see.

Reactions: Nomad
total slant at politics. Other ramblings. Covid is out there and you should do better.
If you really really sat and thought only you know how far a reach that is..social media and the 911 dispatch systems have nothing to do with what you see as a slant,tiny surface scratching research will reveal a few things
First..when citizens call for emergency assistance and don't know the address, as many don't, the cellular repeat transmission, " ping" can be more than triangulated using the cell phone tower location. Like dead reckoning or celestial navigation, only instead of light houses or rock croppings,or a buoy..it's a cell phone tower antenna. Police,Firefighters,ambulance drivers have all been voicing this frustration for years. Covid has revealed multiple serious problems in our emergency response systems on levels far and wide.
We still can't accurately and quickly get to people when they call for help.
In some places that is by design,there is no fire department,no EMT,no ambulance even if they can find your address.
And the use of social media to alert and inform the public about emergency conditions also has revealed many short comings in the United States infrastructure..mine is a cart before the horse view..I am talking about the benefit of an internet platform,when in reality,many Americans don't have internet and can't get it,it is not a technical capability of millions in the country. Covid had online school mandates, and then quickly it was confirmed that not all had access to the web. Famous photos of parents and kids sitting on curbs outside Taco Bell or Starbucks to gain access to WIFI..
So warning them,informing them of public health risks, prevention measures or what to do in case symptoms start revealing were all a technical impossibility.
We also see Covid almost overnight,reveal gross inadequacies in health care and health care delivery. Probably most prominent is the role of Tele- medicine. Rural and older patients can be seen wo long travel time or risk of exposure to big crowds at clinics and hospitals, but again the technology and expertise wasn't,isn't there to provide the medical care.
Now if you are babbling on about who's fault all that is, I will,should shoulder my share of responsibility,making sure all my family had tablets,laptops and a viable internet hotspot and training on everything before,not after the emergency began.
because of a little Navy brainwashing,all members of my family have multiple household fire extinguisher locations and I have given multiple lectures about the importance of knowing where they are,how to use them. And also the non toxic non serious side effects of fire extinguisher use..so don't use a towel or pan of water,deploy the chemical and after the fire it can easily be cleaned up.
Covid has revealed that same hesitancy,same reluctance on every level,waiting too long for vaccine and treatment. Scared to go for chest pain because of fear of contracting Covid, ..it's not that bad I will wait..thinking this often made it deadly for the person but those around them.
And back to the internet - social media..a webpage titled - what to do if you are sick( chest pain,shortness of breath,Covid like symptoms) as we know now,people were scared, uninformed,unable to get information..in many communities there was nobody to ask,nowhere to go or call to ask the question..the internet or social media are not the end all..absorb that, really try and digest that,
But access to data through the internet,social media can be a useable component to a solution for those in need..

• Haha
I think what you wrote before is enlightening to what you want to talk about and that is not..Covid, how dangerous is it?
there is no argument,no counter point to this, none.

TRENDING THREADS