• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 360 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Masks became 'futile' when 75% of the population stopped wearing them. My work still requires them and we have had one case traced to work (pretty large company, multiple locations, traveling workers...).

I'm not sure what article you are referring to, but I saw that an Israeli epidemiologist yelled at his government about how poorly they handled the epidemic, but he didn't share what would have been a better way to handle it.

I wonder why they classified you as a SC2 danger zone? Its seems like you have done better than most.
I am referring to the article linked above. I am not refuting masks just that they ain’t gonna stop omicron.

I am referring to the article linked above. I am not refuting masks just that they ain’t gonna stop omicron.
It's weird how the basics are missed for years at a time. Masks don't stop the virus, the vaccines are not an absolute prophylactic to getting infected. The main purpose from start to finish of masks in Covid pandemic is to slow disease transmission so health care systems and there workers are not over run. Carefully watched vaccine video will show each time that in the list of stated benefits,stated objectives, to avoid death,avoid hospitalization and to lesson the effects on people contracting the virus.
The statement that masks won't save you from omicrom is 100% true. Also 100% true is that masks were never primarily deployed as anything absolute to do with Covid, only a significant component of a mitigation measures strategy

It's weird how the basics are missed for years at a time. Masks don't stop the virus, the vaccines are not an absolute prophylactic to getting infected. The main purpose from start to finish of masks in Covid pandemic is to slow disease transmission so health care systems and there workers are not over run. Carefully watched vaccine video will show each time that in the list of stated benefits,stated objectives, to avoid death,avoid hospitalization and to lesson the effects on people contracting the virus.
The statement that masks won't save you from omicrom is 100% true. Also 100% true is that masks were never primarily deployed as anything absolute to do with Covid, only a significant component of a mitigation measures strategy

I agree with you. This is also my understanding. My point is with omicron even if 100% of people were wearing masks it would not stop transmission. Yes it would slow transmission but that wasn't my point. For example, nowhere in the world are the people more compliant with government than China. Yet China is putting out spot fires of omicron constantly. Everyone in China wears masks - everyone. So you see, wearing the mask does not stop omicron.

I am pointing out that omicron is a different beast. Measures that have worked so far with the original and delta variant won't work as effectively with omicron. And omicron won't be the last variant.

The other thing ignored is what kind of mask people wear. I wear N95 masks - not just more effective but better fitting and less irritating.

Reactions: jmdirt
For example, nowhere in the world are the people more compliant with government than China. Yet China is putting out spot fires of omicron constantly.

a friend of mine from China has just sent me a picture. After disinfecting all incoming international mail last week, they now went over to testing vegetables ;)

0sKnSdM.png

about masks... yeah, I guess they definitely still make sense in small, closed rooms, public transport, or health service of course - but over here, they are also still mandatory in big shopping malls, for example. Not sure the probably relatively small number of prevented cases this comes with really makes much of a difference anymore, when there are that many anyway.

Several Idaho hospital systems have gone back to crisis standards of care because: "Once again, the situation in our hospitals and health systems is dire — we don’t have enough resources to adequately treat patients.”

Based on the numbers, there aren't as many ICU beds full as with the Delta peak, but there are fewer health care workers now.

Several Idaho hospital systems have gone back to crisis standards of care because: "Once again, the situation in our hospitals and health systems is dire — we don’t have enough resources to adequately treat patients.”

Based on the numbers, there aren't as many ICU beds full as with the Delta peak, but there are fewer health care workers now.

And if the bold is for similar reasons as in my part of the world that is something that can be managed. Shouldn't we now start looking at symptoms rather than simply if someone is positive? How many health care workers feel fine, but because they test positive are taken out?

Plus below are the latest daily stats in my part of the world.

Hospitalizations peaked on Jan 19. ICU peaked on Sep 21st (delta).
Currently there are 196 patient occupying ICU beds compared to the peak of 242.
Patients on ventilators peaked on Sep 18 at 123 compared to 69 today.

Not big falls but as a ratio of cases its a huge fall. Plus cases are likely hugely under reported.

Daily Cases Admitted to Hospital - COVID Live

Last edited:
Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt
And if the bold is for similar reasons as in my part of the world that is something that can be managed. Shouldn't we now start looking at symptoms rather than simply if someone is positive? How many health care workers feel fine, but because they test positive are taken out?

Plus below are the latest daily stats in my part of the world.

Hospitalizations peaked on Jan 19. ICU peaked on Sep 21st (delta).
Currently there are 196 patient occupying ICU beds compared to the peak of 242.
Patients on ventilators peaked on Sep 18 at 123 compared to 69 today.

Not big falls but as a ratio of cases its a huge fall. Plus cases are likely hugely under reported.

Daily Cases Admitted to Hospital - COVID Live
If they are out due to SC2 (directly or indirectly) that could be a discussion, but the systems here also have less people period now. The lady renting the ABB next to us is a traveling RN who came here for 30 days, but has stayed at least 100 so far.

Reactions: Koronin

I'm making the final move to the Sun Valley area this week. They've predictably been hit by the influx of out of state tourists during the holidays and their pattern is repeating prior peaks. Ketchum has mask requirements as supported by the Mayor, I'm told. The local businesses have supported the initiative for the most part because they get hit the hardest. Several weeks ago most restaurants were either closed or on a 3 day open schedule due to low personnel. Most had moderate separation inside but that is clearly not effective on this spread. We're probably going to eat at home and recreate outdoors for awhile.
Meanwhile the rest of the state does their own thing, as always.

Reactions: jmdirt
What about KN95? $AUD 2.00 each and I am sure can be found cheaper in other countries? I think the bigger issue is supply not price.
N95 an KN95 are hard to come by in the USA. Looking at reputable sites, best case I can have a pack of 10 here by the end of February. There are none in local pharmacies. At around $2 a mask that is $10-14 a week/$40+ per month. My understanding with 'single use' is 8-10 hours of wear. So if you have to wear it all day for work that's one mask per day. If you are just using it for shopping and other errands, you can make it last for a while. Even if that wasn't the recommendation, I can't imagine wearing a mask for more than one day...gross inside and out!

Reactions: Koronin

TRENDING THREADS