• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 391 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Lol. I don't disagree. We have the freedom to move or quit jobs or school out of principle. What you seem to want is complete freedom from consequence.
The problem is that infection is not always on par with vaccination. Especially if we add boosters. If they wanted to base immunity based on antibody titers, that would be a more valid criteria.

Exactly. Institutions should decide. But iron wants to pretend that I want compulsory vaccination.
If you'll remember back to sometime around the holidays when we discussed this, I contacted a testing facility, and the doc who replied to me said that, while it would be the best way to determine 'protection level', it will never happen at scale.

Last edited:
Reactions: djpbaltimore
Some English researchers are saying two vaccinations and two boosters with the second booster 6 months after the first one..............I know of quite a few people that have had one booster then got infected. None of them needed hospital and all were fine after a a week or so.

Makes sense.

Quick question. With my husband having finished Chemo (he has been declared cancer free or it's in remission and he's definitely improving and was able to go back to work), I'm guessing it's probably a good idea for him to get an antibody test to see if he has any antibodies left at all? He has been told by his doctor they want him to get the 2nd booster about 4 months after his last Chemo, and he's going to get that. Are the antibody tests worth trying?

Makes sense.

Quick question. With my husband having finished Chemo (he has been declared cancer free or it's in remission and he's definitely improving and was able to go back to work), I'm guessing it's probably a good idea for him to get an antibody test to see if he has any antibodies left at all? He has been told by his doctor they want him to get the 2nd booster about 4 months after his last Chemo, and he's going to get that. Are the antibody tests worth trying?
Probably is worth it considering his condition but this is outside my expertise. Maybe Baltimore can answer that one. or his doc.

Reactions: Koronin
Makes sense.

Hope he will continue to do well. Makes Covid seem secondary except in your very personal home. Good health!

Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt
Probably is worth it considering his condition but this is outside my expertise. Maybe Baltimore can answer that one. or his doc.
I am not going to give advice. But, if I was in his shoes I would want to get my titers measured. I wouldn't waste time on the diagnostic antibody tests though. Just the type that is quantitative.
Well lets hope they answer without twitter.
Covid is over. Moving on to the next major crises is the SOP.
After seeing cases rising again in both the U.S. and South Africa, I would've thought you would take a break on your predictions.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
I am not going to give advice. But, if I was in his shoes I would want to get my titers measured. I wouldn't waste time on the diagnostic antibody tests though. Just the type that is quantitative.
After seeing cases rising again in both the U.S. and South Africa, I would've thought you would take a break on your predictions.
Cheering the slight increase in cases is not a good look.

Reactions: Nomad
Infections, hospitalizations and deaths have also gone up in Australia and the new flu season has hit early. Actually the first real flu season since the pandemic started due to all of the protocols being thrown out obviously. Have noticed some people wearing masks but not many. people still masking up on public transport and doctors surgeries still expect them to be worn same with dentists and hairdressers. Cruise season has re-started and so have the infections on the ships.

Infections, hospitalizations and deaths have also gone up in Australia and the new flu season has hit early. Actually the first real flu season since the pandemic started due to all of the protocols being thrown out obviously. Have noticed some people wearing masks but not many. people still masking up on public transport and doctors surgeries still expect them to be worn same with dentists and hairdressers. Cruise season has re-started and so have the infections on the ships.
It is the same with the common cold. During the pandemic nobody got the sniffles. I posted two anecdotes here back then stunned that my normally crowded local medical centre was near empty with no wait to see a doctor. I am sure they are back to a 1 hour wait now.

But the bottom line is the pandemic restrictions were never sustainable. We need to get back to normal and normal means a return of colds and flu. This was normal before early 2020.

The U.S. also had a late surge in flu in April when it is typically in retreat. The last 2.5 years has changed the viral landscape.

I took my first flights last week post pandemic and masking in the airports was down to about 10-20%. Slightly more on the train, but not like it was prior to the court ruling. Still not ready to go on a cruise ship. Academic meetings are now happening in person and there has been a slew of people testing positive afterwards.

It is the same with the common cold. During the pandemic nobody got the sniffles. I posted two anecdotes here back then stunned that my normally crowded local medical centre was near empty with no wait to see a doctor. I am sure they are back to a 1 hour wait now.

But the bottom line is the pandemic restrictions were never sustainable. We need to get back to normal and normal means a return of colds and flu. This was normal before early 2020.
Only a one hour wait...........that's pretty good...........i have to admit I loathe going to the doctors these days, I have become old and crotchety..........according to my brothers I was always like that..................steady as she goes.......

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
Fake news quaks full of crap. Headline says "As the US records 1 million Covid deaths, experts note underinvestment in long-term care, primary care and public health all contributed to the toll "

Nope the CDC says this 997,468

cheering on death is another horrible look on the median. The guardian is a trash outlet. No facts.

You can't just make up your own numbers. That is why we are so polarized at this point. Anywhere AUS or USA. wtf sad

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomad
personally I caught it well now. So far it fortunately only feels pretty much like a cold, running nose, a bit of a sore throat.

Didn't come as much of a surprise btw, as what felt like half the plane was caughing when I returned from holiday on Sunday. Coincidentally (?) it was was a flight from Switzerland, which has no anti-covid measures at all anymore. No issues like this on the flight from Italy (it was a layover connection via Zürich)

Reactions: jmdirt

TRENDING THREADS