• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 404 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I just heard a doc talking about using TBI meds to (successfully) treat long covid brain fog. This could be very important to those suffering!

When I Googled it, this is what came up:

This is obviously early in the process, but good news for now...

I don't like the composite story telling style of this article nor its 'blaming' nature. There are however several discussion points in it that are being studied in real time. Several anecdotal accounts have ben shared in this thread from posters who have/had long covid, or had family/friends with it (some before it was 'caused' by social media as implied).

The article itself acknowledges the measurable damage, but doesn't include it in the composite narrative.

Ymmv on the balance between a representative sample of stories and a corrective sample.

I thought the stories got the point well across without belittling the fictional patients (and to my eyes it was well-written too). One can be compassionate without believing that (other) people have direct access to the truth about themselves. We don’t know ourselves, especially not our minds.

Ymmv on the balance between a representative sample of stories and a corrective sample.

I thought the stories got the point well across without belittling the fictional patients (and to my eyes it was well-written too). One can be compassionate without believing that (other) people have direct access to the truth about themselves. We don’t know ourselves, especially not our minds.
We'll have to disagree.

The long drawn out parallel between LC and Havana syndrome was a poor one. It really shows the implicit bias in the doctor. And not mentioning the research that many who have LC suffer from chronic infection based on detectable spike protein levels is also noteworthy. So wedded to his central thesis that he never really dealt with the alternative hypothesis. Many people thought they had Ebola when that outbreak was all over social media. You could've made the same argument then, which doesn't negate the people who did have Ebola.

Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin
I personally know a conti-pro cyclist in the US, who's this years racing age is 29, was having the best results of his life, and has contracted Covid 3 times and is fighting for what looks like his life, not actually, but is working 24\7 to overcome the lasting effects of the virus.
I am certain that the persistent problems are not made up or imagined. In the depths of sympathy and empathy I am capable of, having a long term health issue that you can't shake, regardless of medical intervention and personal efforts must be, is, devastating for those affected.. It's certainly not borderline insulting to tell another that what they are experiencing is physcosomatic..

And now there is the spokeshead for TPUSA suggesting vaccination caused Hamilin's collapse on MNF. Since his actual status hasn't been disclosed how do athlete's process this information? We have a few local endurance competitors that have been outspoken and largely left to their personal choice. I'm not going to ask what they think on this one.

• Wow
Reactions: Michelada
And now there is the spokeshead for TPUSA suggesting vaccination caused Hamilin's collapse on MNF. Since his actual status hasn't been disclosed how do athlete's process this information? We have a few local endurance competitors that have been outspoken and largely left to their personal choice. I'm not going to ask what they think on this one.
As I said in NFL..if a guy 24, just guessing here, but as a position player in the NFL that is associated with running like the wind, I am assuming that the guy was in great physical condition.. and he has been documented and observed doing the exact same physical activity by millions through television coverage and professional coaching staff.. Kind of stupid within hours to say, assume that a vaccine had anything to do with the tragedy.. Irresponsible, irrational, stupid, unfounded.. No matter how you try and describe the seat of the pants stupidity can never really sum it up. Nobody thinking could ever make such an outlandish conclusion.. and the idea that some guy sitting on a sofa somewhere would instantaneously know a random NFL players vaccine status is beyond crazy, should be criminal for saying it..

Not over by a long shot:

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Koronin
Not over by a long shot:

There is so so much sadness on multiple levels.. The human suffering primarily.. Here in Baja some of the first available vaccines were Russian and Chinese and not too many months in Mexican government went with American drugs.. China doesn't look to be structured for anything close, long lockdown and travel restrictions have little natural immunity.. No strategy for use of more proven vaccines and as heartbreaking.. These reports of bodies being cremated using impromptu methods and the reports from on high still say very very few people have died..they don't include anyone who has underlying issues.. So kind of crazy that the number is less than @8000..
With such tight information controls, don't see the national threat to using other than Chinese vaccines

Rumor has it that Moderna is planning to quadruple the price of SC2 vaccination in the USA. I can't share how I feel about that because it would break most of the forum rules.:mad:
Just want to clarify I'm laughing at your last sentence about breaking forum rules, not at the possibility Moderna will be jacking up the prices of vaccines. (If confirmed that part would make me fume!)

Rumor has it that Moderna is planning to quadruple the price of SC2 vaccination in the USA. I can't share how I feel about that because it would break most of the forum rules.:mad:
And now pfizer may also 'significantly increase' the price of its SC2 vaccine.

Of note, this is because they 'only' expect to sell $13.5 BILLION worth of vaccine and $8 BILLION of its antiviral (Paxlovid) in 2023. :mad:

It really is horrible that a company profits from producing a life-saving product. I'm sure the world would be a better place if that was outlawed.
IMO, scientists should make good money to R&D, and investors need to get something for their investment. The problem is that the investors and pharma executives make millions/billions, that is what should be regulated. I'll stop there because the conversation will need to get too political/financial from here.

With the SC2 vaccine, and therapeutics example (USA): one, some of the R&D money came from tax payers (80% by some reporting), two, companies like pfizer and moderna have already recouped their money, and made billions beyond that. Its the same situation with cancer pharma.

Behind a pay wall but:
"The Energy Department has now concluded with "low confidence" that the COVID-19 pandemic most likely began after an unintentional laboratory leak in China, according to the Wall Street Journal, which cited a classified intelligence report provided to the White House and members of Congress."

"National security adviser Jake Sullivan declined to confirm or deny the news of the Energy Department report to media outlets. Sullivan told CNN on Sunday that President Biden has requested the Department of Energy's national labs to be "brought into this assessment," because he "wants to put every tool at use to be able to figure out what happened here." "Right now, there is not a definitive answer that has emerged from the intelligence community," he told CNN on Sunday's "State of the Union."

I added the bold above. Hopefully they are getting closer for national security, and scientific reasons, but it doesn't change anything for most of us just going about life.

Reactions: firefly3323
Behind a pay wall but:
"The Energy Department has now concluded with "low confidence" that the COVID-19 pandemic most likely began after an unintentional laboratory leak in China, according to the Wall Street Journal, which cited a classified intelligence report provided to the White House and members of Congress."

"National security adviser Jake Sullivan declined to confirm or deny the news of the Energy Department report to media outlets. Sullivan told CNN on Sunday that President Biden has requested the Department of Energy's national labs to be "brought into this assessment," because he "wants to put every tool at use to be able to figure out what happened here." "Right now, there is not a definitive answer that has emerged from the intelligence community," he told CNN on Sunday's "State of the Union."

I added the bold above. Hopefully they are getting closer for national security, and scientific reasons, but it doesn't change anything for most of us just going about life.

A great analogy I heard last evening from Michael Osterholm, director of the University of Minnesota's Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy

Imagine if a new virus emerged in the Caribbean, life-threatening new virus that was highly infectious. Where would we likely pick it up first? Probably in Atlanta because of the fact that that's where the air hubs (ph) are. That's where the laboratory capacity would be. If we found a new virus like that in Atlanta, don't you think the world would think it leaked from the CDC? And imagine if Russia and China said, we want access to your laboratory so we can see whether or not this really happened. We would say, no, sorry not. Well, I'm not trying to make an excuse for the Chinese. We know that they surely could not be telling the truth. But at this point, I can also understand they're not going to let the U.S. in.

Reactions: jmdirt
Of course they're going to say it's low confidence and
Behind a pay wall but:

So, there's a classified intelligence report provided to the WH & "key lawmakers" (who are these "key lawmakers?") that concludes the evidence for a lab leak is merely "low confidence." If the WH & these "key lawmakers" have nothing to hide - why not declassify the report & let the taxpayers read it for themselves & decide it's level of confidence.

In addition to the DOE, the FBI thinks it's a lab leak. And out of all the "3 letter" government agencies, the FBI should have the highest credibility on something like this.

Of course they're going to say it's low confidence and

So, there's a classified intelligence report provided to the WH & "key lawmakers" (who are these "key lawmakers?") that concludes the evidence for a lab leak is merely "low confidence." If the WH & these "key lawmakers" have nothing to hide - why not declassify the report & let the taxpayers read it for themselves & decide it's level of confidence.

In addition to the DOE, the FBI thinks it's a lab leak. And out of all the "3 letter" government agencies, the FBI should have the highest credibility on something like this.
"While the DOE came to its conclusion with “low” confidence, the FBI reached its conclusion in 2021 with “moderate” confidence. But The Wall Street Journal reported that the agencies reached their conclusions separately for different reasons."

Even the FBI doesn't have high confidence (yet).

"Four agencies and a national intelligence panel said they believe the pandemic likely started with natural transmission from animal to human. The remaining two agencies, which include the CIA, are still undecided."

The CIA should have the highest credibility on foreign intelligence gathering.

...because the tax payers would be able to understand an intelligence report, and make sound conclusions...:rolleyes:

Last edited: