• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Crashes, what can be done?

Page 60 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
How do you enforce it (how much and for how long do you need to go above the limit to be DSQ'ed)? How practical is it for the rider to keep braking while closely monitoring his speed to ensure that he goes to the limit?
It was a bit of a provocant question, because most fatal crashes actually seem to happen on highspeed descents and not on technical ones that are deemed to be dangerous.

I just remember rider protests over being made to ride with a helment in like 1993. But you may be correct that compulsory helmets didn't actually take effect until 2003.

UCI introduced a compulsory helmet rule in 1991 but the riders protested

Reactions: noob and Extinction
It was a bit of a provocant question, because most fatal crashes actually seem to happen on highspeed descents and not on technical ones that are deemed to be dangerous.
It makes sense to regulate route and equipment to ensure lower speeds--but unlike with cars, it's hard to imagine a speed-limit that would work in cycling.

While I don't think it's politically feasible, it could have a real impact to mandate slower wheels (and restrict gears).

Reactions: noob
And there is usually rider error involved; particularly in group descents where everyone should be able to see the best line to take. I say this without seeing any part of the race so I don't intend any opinion on this tragic situation.

I just don't understand how anyone can allow people without a fully grown brain to be in this sport. Junior racing and riders very young should be banned or at least extremely strictly regulated before anything else should be banned.

And punish riders for crashing if you believe it's their fault. Then you get more responsible racing.

Not that anyone would ever want that.

A lot of the reasons given for Roglic's tendency to crash is the fact that he didn't practice from an earlier age.
I know. But I don't neccessarily agree. He was almost dead from ski jumping for the reason he's Roglic imo. So he could just as well have died had he been cycling younger. It's in his DNA to take risks due to whatever brain chemistry he has. But when he's older he's old enough to at least know and calculate the risks. Young people literally can't do that. Or at least very rarely.

Learning when young is one thing; doing the most risky things when young is another.

Also since I happen to be an Almeida fan I see another side of the coin; the ridicule of a slow descender. Anyone who ridicules a guy like Almeida for his descending have zero say about safety in sport imnsho. Because he goes slow because of risk aversion. And fans hates that!

That has told me people don't want to see safe riding. They want to see the Mohorics of the world go ape shxit.

But at least Mohoric is old enough to be somewhat held responsible.

• Sad
Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
Yes. I always have felt.mucb more comfortable descending in a slow speed, technical descent, even though it's the kind that the Eurosport commentators would get all worried about it being 'very technical'

Technnical ≠ dangerous

It's the fast, open descents that scare me a little bit. The consequences of a crash are likely to be so much worse

I don't think we can ever get to a point in the sport where we can stop riders sliding out and hitting guardrails, or touched wheels at 65kph

It just bothers me that someone can crash and be dying in a forest unnoticed , with hour before the medicals get to them

Key questions left unanswered by UCI and David Lappartient after Muriel Furrer's death at Zurich Worlds​

UCI president's press conference in aftermath of fatal crash marked by digressions and deflections

And he's completely correct

"It will be the job of the police to establish all this," Lappartient said when asked to confirm the circumstances of Furrer's fatal crash. "I will not comment directly about this because there are ongoing investigations from the police, that's their job, I can't answer.

Reactions: noob