• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cricket- the sport not the insect

Page 78 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
Ponting hasn't got it anymore, regardless of his state level form. His reflexes have gone. One fast yorker and this'll happen:

pontingfalls.gif

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Good to hear Warnie on the commentary as an antidote to the barely disguised tones of English superiority but it's to be expected. Botham believes the Ashes will be 10-0 to England. At least Holding adds something extra with his astute observations.

Liked it when Holding said, Watson was plumb, he's always plumb.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
darwin553 said:
So England has a better fast bowling attack than South Africa? ;)

That wasn't a skillful ball. That was just a half volley, bowled at ~130km by Kallis. Any younger batsman- even Cowan- would have hit that for 4. He has nothing left at international level. The worst fast bowler on the planet could have bowled that to Ponting and he'd have taken his wicket.

Now Australia have a job to do just to avoid the follow-on :eek:.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Alphabet said:
That wasn't a skillful ball. That was just a half volley, bowled at ~130km by Kallis. Any younger batsman- even Cowan- would have hit that for 4. He has nothing left at international level. The worst fast bowler on the planet could have bowled that to Ponting and he'd have taken his wicket.

Now Australia have a job to do just to avoid the follow-on :eek:.

Surely I don't need to tell you that that dismissal shouldn't be viewed as a sole indicator of his form. It was just a very unfortunate position and way he played that ball. He deserves a lot more respect than to categorise his fall in form in that one shot. That said and this goes to my point, generally he did struggle against the class of the three main SA quicks - Steyn, Philander and Morkel.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Wonder if the pundits will be writing retractions after the rubbish about Anderson carrying the team last week.

Anyhow, Australia need to find at least 1 batsman or 5-0 is coming in this weather.

****ing watson. He should be first to go :mad:

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
Meanwhile, Australia A were 8/150 not so long ago against Zimbabwe.

What the hell has happened to the batting? Surely it isn't just because of T20 cricket?

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Alphabet said:
Meanwhile, Australia A were 8/150 not so long ago against Zimbabwe.

What the hell has happened to the batting? Surely it isn't just because of T20 cricket?

It could be that or the constant chopping and changing between the different forms of cricket.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
Also, I don't care if Mark Cosgrove weighs 3,000 kg, he's the second best Australian batsman. Get him in the team. Who cares if he's unprofessional with his fitness? That never stopped other fat cricketers like Warne and Inzamam and Lehmann finding huge success. It's also immaterial that his fielding would be awful. Right now Australia need runs. A 50 from Cosgrove every innings would be worth his weight in gold at the moment.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Alphabet said:
Also, I don't care if Mark Cosgrove weighs 3,000 kg, he's the second best Australian batsman. Get him in the team. Who cares if he's unprofessional with his fitness? That never stopped other fat cricketers like Warne and Inzamam and Lehmann finding huge success. It's also immaterial that his fielding would be awful. Right now Australia need runs. A 50 from Cosgrove every innings would be worth his weight in gold at the moment.

Mark Cosgrove is not the answer. 5 years ago maybe but not now.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
Cosgrove is better than the current tried-and-tested failures- Warner, Cowan, Hughes, Khawaja. And he scored heavily in the Shield last summer.

Also, if I was Cook, I wouldn't enforce the follow on. I'd bat again, rack up a huge score, and completely shatter Australia. Steve Waugh used to call it mental disintegration.

2 questions.

How long will a flukey 98 keep this young lad in the team, despite him appearing out of his depth with the ball (not bad, but toothless).

Why does George Bailey get such a bad wrap from you lot - he's the only Australian who's looked like he knows which end of the bat to hold this Summer.

TRENDING THREADS