• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cricket- the sport not the insect

Page 70 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
Loads of full tosses, half volleys and long hops from Swann today. Australia would be on about 200 by now if the batsmen put away all the bad balls.

I can't beleive Broad didn't walk, it was embarassing, however perhaps the Aussies need to learn how to use DRS and not waste them, anyway it was funny listening to the various commentators talking about it, the older ones like Gower thought he should definately have walked, while the younger ones disagreed, the game has changed.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Shame he then wasted it trying to con the umpires later.

Clearly worse than Broad, who merely accepted someone else's error, but will get less stick and he's less of an ostentatious *** than Broad.

Now that's harsh, hotspot showed that he barely scraped that. It wasn't a clear-cut edge like Broad's.

The problem with batting captains is that they like to review 'tactically' when the team is batting, which is just fancy talk for 'Let's use up our reviews on batsmen, because bowlers are worthless and you never know, it may have been a no ball'.

Alphabet said:
Now that's harsh, hotspot showed that he barely scraped that. It wasn't a clear-cut edge like Broad's.

The problem with batting captains is that they like to review 'tactically' when the team is batting, which is just fancy talk for 'Let's use up our reviews on batsmen, because bowlers are worthless and you never know, it may have been a no ball'.

The review system needs an overhaul. Nine more overs till the new ball is taken. I have seen teams in this position get a lot closer than they should. C'mon Aussie.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
I'm going to continue being pessimistic and point out that in the 555 previous times in cricket history that a team has had to chase a target larger than 300 in the fourth innings, only 26 occasions have resulted in the chasing team winning, which is a success rate of less than 5%. And only on 119 times (out of 555, remember, so that's quite low) has a team even scored over 300 batting last.

No doubt we'll end up 309 all out.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
movingtarget said:
The review system needs an overhaul.

Agreed. I'm not sure where to begin though. It depends how you view the problem.

If you're okay with tactical reviews, then the first step probably should be 2 reviews per day rather than 2 per innings. If you want DRS to be what it was supposed to be for- eliminating howlers, then take it out of the hands of the captains altogether and have the third umpire review every close shout and every dismissal. It will slow down the play, yes, but over rates are already pathetic to begin with these days so what difference would it make?

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
The only positive outcome I see from Australia getting bowled out in the morning session is that I can then devote my total attention on the climb up Ventoux. :D

Alphabet said:
Agreed. I'm not sure where to begin though. It depends how you view the problem.

If you're okay with tactical reviews, then the first step probably should be 2 reviews per day rather than 2 per innings. If you want DRS to be what it was supposed to be for- eliminating howlers, then take it out of the hands of the captains altogether and have the third umpire review every close shout and every dismissal. It will slow down the play, yes, but over rates are already pathetic to begin with these days so what difference would it make?

I like the second option. Like the late Tony Greig said "if you have the techology, all of it, use it." test match fans don't mind the pace of the game although the over rate is bad. Maybe increase the fines for lack of overs. But technology is only as good as the people using it and as we have seen in cricket and even in sports like Rugby League, some decisions are mystifying.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
movingtarget said:
even in sports like Rugby League, some decisions are mystifying.

The use of technology in rugby league produced some odd results in the past I must say but with the change in the standard of proof as to what constitutes a try it has improved.

As for cricket, it might be that it should be left solely in the hands of the 3rd umpire for the howlers to send a message to the on-field umpire that they have erred significantly and the decision should be overturned.

TRENDING THREADS