• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cricket- the sport not the insect

Page 98 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

del1962 said:
Really wasn't expecting that after Lords,

ok England have yet to bat so we will see what happens

For all the talk about the Australian bowlers, I wonder why they did not bowl ? Rogers and Anderson both said it was a typical English pitch. Ponting said he would have bowled while Warne said he would have batted but you would think that after what happened in the previous test, Australia should have bowled. I think it would have thrown the pressure back on England. Anyway good bowling by Anderson and some crap batting from Australia puts England in the box seat unless their middle order crumbles.

With the selection of finn, some grass on the wicket and overcast conditions I was quite relieved that the aussies decided to bat. I think England's fragile confidence with the bat could have taken another battering in those conditions. As it was England bounced back strong, led by Anderson who was yet again excellent in these conditions.

If its a typical Edgbaston wicket the best days to bat should be days 2 and 3 before the wicket begins to deteriorate and spin more for the final 2 days. The morning session will be crucial, Australia need early wickets and keep Englands lead to less than 100 to stay in the game. If England bat well and get a lead of 150-200 then they really should win. forecast for the next few days is good getting warmer by Saturday and Sunday.

The recall of Finn was a good one for England. Australia need a major rain dance performed. If Clarke's batting continues on the same route his position in the team will be under threat. Ponting was only given so many chances, some said too many. These days the loss of form in any sporting team is treated with more impatience by selectors or some might say too much patience. Modern media scrutiny just makes it worse for the player involved. If Australia lose the series and Clarke does not perform he will possibly be one of the casualties as he had already stated he would not be continuing much longer anyway. I don't think he will be around for the next Ashes series in good form or not. Same for Haddin and Watson has probably gone already.

Great performance by England, very nearly winning a test match inside 2 days against the best test side in cricket in a nice achievement.

The injury of Jimmy Anderson will be a huge blow though, especially at Trent bridge which usually swings, that being said Broad usually bowls well there so hopefully he wont be missed too much. The Aussies have got more things on their mind at the moment anyway.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
del1962 said:
Really wasn't expecting that after Lords,

ok England have yet to bat so we will see what happens

For all the talk about the Australian bowlers, I wonder why they did not bowl ? Rogers and Anderson both said it was a typical English pitch. Ponting said he would have bowled while Warne said he would have batted but you would think that after what happened in the previous test, Australia should have bowled. I think it would have thrown the pressure back on England. Anyway good bowling by Anderson and some crap batting from Australia puts England in the box seat unless their middle order crumbles.

Clarke is a risky captain that is why.

Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Great performance by England, very nearly winning a test match inside 2 days against the best test side in cricket in a nice achievement.

The injury of Jimmy Anderson will be a huge blow though, especially at Trent bridge which usually swings, that being said Broad usually bowls well there so hopefully he wont be missed too much. The Aussies have got more things on their mind at the moment anyway.

This lot are not even close to the best test side. Batting line-up is short and what there is can't cope with movement.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Pricey_sky said:

This lot are not even close to the best test side. Batting line-up is short and what there is can't cope with movement.

Well officially number 1 according to rankings anyway, but I agree the are quite venerable when coditions aren't perfect for them!

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Pricey_sky said:

On true decks with pace Australia are the best in the world and England struggle, on greener wickets where the ball moves in the air it's the other way around. Historically that has usually been the case with the late 80's to early 00's being the main exception to the rule.

Neither side are complete enough to be the top ranked side for long. I can see the balance going back Australia's way if Anderson is out and Finn can't keep this up though.

42x16ss said:
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Pricey_sky said:

On true decks with pace Australia are the best in the world and England struggle, on greener wickets where the ball moves in the air it's the other way around. Historically that has usually been the case with the late 80's to early 00's being the main exception to the rule.

Neither side are complete enough to be the top ranked side for long. I can see the balance going back Australia's way if Anderson is out and Finn can't keep this up though.

You don't hold a candle to RSA, even if we let you play on concrete pitches.

Pricey_sky said:
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Pricey_sky said:

Well officially number 1 according to rankings anyway, but I agree the are quite venerable when coditions aren't perfect for them!

No, they're a long way behind the number 1 team in the rankings.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Pricey_sky said:
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Pricey_sky said:

No, they're a long way behind the number 1 team in the rankings.

Yes my bad, for some reason I believed they were ranked number 1, however they did beat SA away in last years test series.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
42x16ss said:
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Pricey_sky said:

You don't hold a candle to RSA, even if we let you play on concrete pitches.
Agreed, unless it's somewhere like Centurion or the WACA, Australia just doesn't have the patience and technique with the bat - apart from Smith and a fit Clarke - and apart from the recently retired Harris, the bowlers need the pitch to be doing something to be effective.

TRENDING THREADS