• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cricket- the sport not the insect

Page 100 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

42x16ss said:
Kane Williamson looks like the goods. Very solid technique, good eye, patient. Excellent batsman.

I hope that Taylor, Watling, McCullum and Guptill step up and give him some support, otherwise it's going to be a long summer for New Zealand.

no argument there

poor performance(s) from the NZ batsmen.....we're getting a solid punishing and a masterclass in batting from Aussie (Warner, as much as I dislike him)

Payback for the Rugby WC - :D

Good to see a pitch that isn't a total road for once, I expected more of the same from Perth TBH.

Also, interesting to see that Boult and Southee got the pink ball to swing at night. It's easier to see on TV than I expected too, but I hear that the crowd and outfielders are having some trouble around sunset.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

42x16ss said:
Good to see a pitch that isn't a total road for once, I expected more of the same from Perth TBH.

Also, interesting to see that Boult and Southee got the pink ball to swing at night. It's easier to see on TV than I expected too, but I hear that the crowd and outfielders are having some trouble around sunset.
I was having trouble seeing the ball. Can understand why Steve Smith was having troubles with the catching

The Hobart pitch for the first test against the West Indies looks like it could be a raging green top! It would be great to see the Windies quicks wind it up, it's been too long between drinks for them. Sad to see what they have become, hopefully things can turn around for them.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

42x16ss said:
The Hobart pitch for the first test against the West Indies looks like it could be a raging green top! It would be great to see the Windies quicks wind it up, it's been too long between drinks for them. Sad to see what they have become, hopefully things can turn around for them.
their best sportsmen play american sports now, and go to college in the states. imagine tim duncan with the new ball. yeah i know, he was from bermuda or some other islands, not a traditional cricketing domocile

Re: Re:

blackcat said:
42x16ss said:
their best sportsmen play american sports now, and go to college in the states. imagine tim duncan with the new ball. yeah i know, he was from bermuda or some other islands, not a traditional cricketing domocile
Or even Usain Bolt - he's pretty handy full stop. Interestingly cricket is starting to poke its nose in the door in the USA. Those legends games organised by Shane Warne all attracted crowds of 35000 plus. When you consider that there were no current players - only retired - there that's pretty impressive.

42x16ss said:
blackcat said:
42x16ss said:
Or even Usain Bolt - he's pretty handy full stop. Interestingly cricket is starting to poke its nose in the door in the USA. Those legends games organised by Shane Warne all attracted crowds of 35000 plus. When you consider that there were no current players - only retired - there that's pretty impressive.

It seems that cricket is getting a push in junior schools in the USA. Obviously migration is having an effect but I had to laugh with the story I watched. The coach of the school team had never played before and it looked a lot like backyard cricket but the kids were having fun. What I did not know is that cricket was played quite often in the USA presumably by the English before baseball took off, and then it just faded away.

The Hobart pitch does not seem to be as good as usual but the Windies are out of their depth. The writing was on the wall when they got beat in their lead up game by a team of young Aussies who are no slouches of course but Windies cricket seems to have fallen through the floor especially Test cricket. Did not seem to be many at the game. They might have to give away some tickets or do what the Chinese did in the Olympics and fill the stands with students !

I have no idea why the Windies did not take the new ball. The entire Channel Nine commentary team went silent they seemed dumbfounded by the decision when the team were needing wickets and Australia was 430 odd for 3 down !

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

movingtarget said:
It seems that cricket is getting a push in junior schools in the USA. Obviously migration is having an effect but I had to laugh with the story I watched. The coach of the school team had never played before and it looked a lot like backyard cricket but the kids were having fun. What I did not know is that cricket was played quite often in the USA presumably by the English before baseball took off, and then it just faded away.

The Hobart pitch does not seem to be as good as usual but the Windies are out of their depth. The writing was on the wall when they got beat in their lead up game by a team of young Aussies who are no slouches of co
urse but Windies cricket seems to have fallen through the floor especially Test cricket. Did not seem to be many at the game. They might have to give away some tickets or do what the Chinese did in the Olympics and fill the stands with students !

I have no idea why the Windies did not take the new ball. The entire Channel Nine commentary team went silent they seemed dumbfounded by the decision when the team were needing wickets and Australia was 430 odd for 3 down !
they thought the ball was reversing

(reverse swing)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

42x16ss said:

well, you get Sachin Tendulkar anywhere and he will pull 100k, not 35k.

#contradiction
my contradiction.

Re: Usain Bolt. his favourite sportsman is Matty Hayden.

I'm going to say the same thing I said last summer.

When will the English selectors pull their heads out of their collective ar$es and just recall Pietersen? He put on an absolute masterclass (76 off 42) last night on a failing green top, in a losing side. Once again, it was just controlled, orthodox strokes, with perfect timing and raw power including 3 sixes and a four off one over from one of Australia's very best young up and coming quicks (Sandhu). West Indian international Andre Russell also went the journey. His straight drive was directly out of the textbook.

FFS he was even better than Khawaja and Faulkner, his skill is otherworldly.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

42x16ss said:

When will the English selectors pull their heads out of their collective ar$es and just recall Pietersen? He put on an absolute masterclass (76 off 42) last night on a failing green top, in a losing side. Once again, it was just controlled, orthodox strokes, with perfect timing and raw power including 3 sixes and a four off one over from one of Australia's very best young up and coming quicks (Sandhu). West Indian international Andre Russell also went the journey. His straight drive was directly out of the textbook.

KP farkin G E N I U S.

the problem is, the new bats have now made him merely superior. Previously he was like Warnie, he was playing a different game

blackcat said:
42x16ss said:

KP farkin G E N I U S.

the problem is, the new bats have now made him merely superior. Previously he was like Warnie, he was playing a different game
Kumar Sangakkara! :eek:

Consummate superstar.

blackcat said:
42x16ss said:

Consummate superstar.

Kumar is no KP
but he can Sledge with more brio and elan than any antipode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlFF98dM8sA
Kumar is a slightly different player to KP. He wasn't the best bat last night - that was Tim Paine - but he hit 40 something off 30 and barely even broke a sweat, he still had two or three gears left. He almost looked bored.

If he didn't decide to start inventing shots he'd still be out there. Him, KP and possibly Ponting - best of their generation by a mile. Sangakkara is still underrated by many Australians.

While its too early in the series to draw too many conclusions im shocked at how poor South Africa were, I admit I didn't see a lot of their capitulation in India but I thought they would be much better on home soil. It also looks like Steyn will miss the Cape Town test which is another blow, but its the batting that is a big worry.

While the England batting line-up still looks a little vunerable they at least have guys like Compton, Root, Taylor and Bairstow who should score consistent runs. Putting 2 competitive totals on the board without Cook scoring many is a big plus too. With Jimmy Anderson looking likely to return it is good news all round for English cricket.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

42x16ss said:
blackcat said:
42x16ss said:

Consummate superstar.

Kumar is no KP
but he can Sledge with more brio and elan than any antipode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlFF98dM8sA
Kumar is a slightly different player to KP. He wasn't the best bat last night - that was Tim Paine - but he hit 40 something off 30 and barely even broke a sweat, he still had two or three gears left. He almost looked bored.

If he didn't decide to start inventing shots he'd still be out there. Him, KP and possibly Ponting - best of their generation by a mile. Sangakkara is still underrated by many Australians.

VVS was good too

Re:

Pricey_sky said:
While its too early in the series to draw too many conclusions im shocked at how poor South Africa were, I admit I didn't see a lot of their capitulation in India but I thought they would be much better on home soil. It also looks like Steyn will miss the Cape Town test which is another blow, but its the batting that is a big worry.

While the England batting line-up still looks a little vunerable they at least have guys like Compton, Root, Taylor and Bairstow who should score consistent runs. Putting 2 competitive totals on the board without Cook scoring many is a big plus too. With Jimmy Anderson looking likely to return it is good news all round for English cricket.
Apparently Steve Finn went on a rampage yesterday, was he rewarded through good pressure from the others, poor batting or did he bowl particularly well?

42x16ss said:
Pricey_sky said:

Apparently Steve Finn went on a rampage yesterday, was he rewarded through good pressure from the others, poor batting or did he bowl particularly well?

To be honest I've always been a fan of Finn, yes he can be expensive but he takes wickets. England have Broad and Anderson who are economical so Finn must be used as the impact bowler.

He bowled well in the first test and produced a great couple of spells on days 4/5 on what was a tough wicket to get anything out of. If Anderson returns tomorrow I hope it's for Woakes, I don't think Woakes is quite up to test match cricket yet.

Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
Interesting first day in Cape Town, just edged by England but if South Africa can restrict us to under 400 then they are right in the game. Good to see the West Indies doing better today and building on their last innings.

Pricey_sky said:
42x16ss said:
Pricey_sky said:

To be honest I've always been a fan of Finn, yes he can be expensive but he takes wickets. England have Broad and Anderson who are economical so Finn must be used as the impact bowler.

He bowled well in the first test and produced a great couple of spells on days 4/5 on what was a tough wicket to get anything out of. If Anderson returns tomorrow I hope it's for Woakes, I don't think Woakes is quite up to test match cricket yet.
Just wondering, because Finn is quick and has venom, but looked to lack control and patience when I've seen him in the past - a bit like a young Mitchell Johnson before he worked with Dennis Lillee.

IMHO Woakes has had far too many opportunities to show if he's test standard. He's close but not quite there, I'd drop him for Anderson as well. Good ODI player though.

WI 3 for 115, rain delaying play. Kragg Brathwaite looking solid on 66.

Marlon Samuels has to go, he's been nothing but dead weight. WI board needs to suck it up and call up either Gayle, Darren Bravo, or Darren Sammy. Aus quicks are coming through in droves, Pattinson, Hazlewood, Marsh all bowling very, very well at times with Marsh getting 145 kmh + in spells.

Saw another KP classic last night. Blackcat, you'll really like this one! Chris Gayle was on strike, as the commentator was talking to KP at mid off. They were bantering when KP said:

"I'd really like for this guy on strike to pop one up early, because when he gets going, nothing can stop him."

That very ball, Gayle, top edge, straight to Peitersen at mid off :eek:

Edit: Here it is :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01e9M_1ZkBg

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

42x16ss said:
WI 3 for 115, rain delaying play. Kragg Brathwaite looking solid on 66.

Marlon Samuels has to go, he's been nothing but dead weight. WI board needs to suck it up and call up either Gayle, Darren Bravo, or Darren Sammy. Aus quicks are coming through in droves, Pattinson, Hazlewood, Marsh all bowling very, very well at times with Marsh getting 145 kmh + in spells.

Saw another KP classic last night. Blackcat, you'll really like this one! Chris Gayle was on strike, as the commentator was talking to KP at mid off. They were bantering when KP said:

"I'd really like for this guy on strike to pop one up early, because when he gets going, nothing can stop him."

That very ball, Gayle, top edge, straight to Peitersen at mid off :eek:

Edit: Here it is :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01e9M_1ZkBg

KP genius

but he only had one offdrive/straightdrive fgor a boundary, him and gayle failed, but what a beautiful straight drive by KPgenius24

they may get more than 80k on the rematch, as long as there is good weather, and the security do a proactive job planning the crowd frisk...

TRENDING THREADS