• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Critérium du Dauphiné 2017 (04/06 > 11/06/2017)

Page 69 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

red zone said:
Pricey_sky said:
red zone said:
Durden93 said:
Froome is the the favourite for the Tour imo. His victory never looked in doubt in any of his tour wins, and he looked like the strongest rider in 2012. I'll take 5 years of the Tour over one week of the Dauphine as an indicator of his form.

the Skybots make him the favorite but if Porte keeps his form they'll also benefit him by limiting and chasing down attacks

should be a pretty boring 3 weeks watching the Sky train kill stage after stage

If Porte takes time off Froome early then Froome can use his team and go crazy. Froome needed another decent climbing Dom today for that final climb after attacking all day, he will have that in the Tour.

what Froome has shown countless times is that without a dominant team controlling the race he is very beatable he also had much more team support this week then Porte

and if Porte takes time on Froome he'll just wheel suck the Sky train and follow Froome's late attacks , it's not like Sky does anything else at the tour

Sky usually ride like that because they have the strongest rider and it stops what happened to Porte today happening to Froome.

... however if Porte is outclimbing Froome at the tour don't expect Sky to be controlling everything. Froome does like to attack when he's not in the lead.

red zone said:
what Froome has shown countless times is that without a dominant team controlling the race he is very beatable he also had much more team support this week then Porte

and if Porte takes time on Froome he'll just wheel suck the Sky train and follow Froome's late attacks , it's not like Sky does anything else at the tour

Yes I agree, if Sky do that then Porte could be ok, but Sky have never had to have a different approach in the Tour as it's worked for Froome.

If Froome finds himself on the back foot and needs time I think we will see a much more aggressive Sky with Froome being more attacking like today.

For all that Porte had to ride on the front, I'm sure this stage's efforts won't hinder him in the TDF (it would more be a case of peaking already that does) as he'd have time to recuperate and hopefully that effort helps him reach an extra 1-2% needed. I think BMC made a mistake sending Hermans to the Giro, if he rode the TDF him and Caruso could have alternated taking care of Richie on the harder stages but instead he went to support TJVG. Roche needs to improve and hopefully Dennis and GVA can be useful for most of the stages.

Great race! For the first time in awhile I get really excited about TdF of not being an at most two-horse race.
Truly mazing aride by Porte. Yes, he's like Contador in 2014 CdD, only a bit better, but no, Fuglsang's win is waaay more impressive than Talansky's. He really deserves it despite winning it on time bonus.

Re:

gunara said:
Great race! For the first time in awhile I get really excited about TdF of not being an at most two-horse race.
Truly mazing aride by Porte. Yes, he's like Contador in 2014 CdD, only a bit better, but no, Fuglsang's win is waaay more impressive than Talansky's. He really deserves it despite winning it on time bonus.

I don't think he did. Without time bonus they'd have the same time. But I believe Birdsong would have won because of having achieved a stage victory whilst Porte hasn't.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

lenric said:
gunara said:

I don't think he did. Without time bonus they'd have the same time. But I believe Birdsong would have won because of having achieved a stage victory whilst Porte hasn't.
Porte won 6 seconds meanwhile fuglsang won 20 seconds

lenric said:

Since there was an ITT, it's decided by the hundredths of the second from it, I think.

EDIT: And yeah, they wouldn't have same time either.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

The Barb said:
Porte, who rode alone for roughly the last 40km, rode the final climb only 2-3 seconds slower than Fuglsang (who didn't put his nose in the wind until 7km to go) and faster than everyone else. Phenomenal ride.

Did you even watch the stage? Fuglsang attacked half way up the Colombiere.

portugal11 said:
lenric said:
gunara said:

- by winning stages

Has winning suddenly stopped mattering in cycling? :)

portugal11 said:
lenric said:
gunara said:

Fugslang was 1:15 away from Portr at the beginning of today's stage. He finished 1:15 before Porte, ergo their time difference was only due to the bonus Birdsong won.

lenric said:
portugal11 said:
lenric said:
gunara said:

Fugslang was 1:15 away from Portr at the beginning of today's stage. He finished 1:15 before Porte, ergo their time difference was only due to the bonus Birdsong won.
Birdsong got 14 more bonus seconds throughout the race so Porte completed the course faster, so Birdie won it on time bonus.

Re:

yaco said:
Porte rode a naive race - Form showed that Froome was never his main danger - Porte needed to counter attacks by Fuglsang and Aru and forget about Porte.

If Porte had chased every attack immediately he wouldn't have been able to come back on the final climb. One team mate in the valley and Porte wins the overall. Great ride by Fuglsang, Astana rode a smart race, gutsy ride by Porte but it's shaping up to be a very interesting Tour. Fuglsang is in the form of his career.

LaFlorecita said:
lenric said:
portugal11 said:
lenric said:
gunara said:

Birdsong got 14 more bonus seconds throughout the race so Porte completed the course faster, so Birdie won it on time bonus.

Ok, I was wrong then. Didn't know about that. Thanks for the correction.

Wel it will be a brutal race if Astana are confident of their two live chances in the GC with Aru and Fuglsang - Astana will make the race much tougher than the Sky Train - BMC will be strengthened with Caruso, Dennis and Van Avermaat joining the team for the TDF.

LaFlorecita said:
lenric said:
portugal11 said:
lenric said:
gunara said:

By winning stages

Weird you seem to think winning doesn't matter - in a sport :D

LaFlorecita said:
yaco said:
Porte rode a naive race - Form showed that Froome was never his main danger - Porte needed to counter attacks by Fuglsang and Aru and forget about Porte.
Made the same mistake as Contador in the Dauphiné 3 years ago - focused too much on Froome

Strange when it was obvious Aru and Fuglsang were clearly stronger than Froome - I doubt Froome can even make the podium in the TDF.

yaco said:
LaFlorecita said:
yaco said:
Made the same mistake as Contador in the Dauphiné 3 years ago - focused too much on Froome

Strange when it was obvious Aru and Fuglsang were clearly stronger than Froome - I doubt Froome can even make the podium in the TDF.

29fa343714a5adf7a652f466a2c4307adc5624240d81e58ce4a38f5dbc32f947.jpg

movingtarget said:
yaco said:

If Porte had chased every attack immediately he wouldn't have been able to come back on the final climb. One team mate in the valley and Porte wins the overall. Great ride by Fuglsang, Astana rode a smart race, gutsy ride by Porte but it's shaping up to be a very interesting Tour. Fuglsang is in the form of his career.

Porte didn't need to chase every attack - He only had to worry about Aru and Fuglsang.

yaco said:
LaFlorecita said:
yaco said:

It's almost an entire month to our first uphill finish at the Tour, a lot of form can be gained in that time period. If Froome is serious about a Vuelta Tour double he might be trying to find form as late as possible so he can carry it into the Vuelta, I wouldn't read too much into the Dauphine aside from the fact that the Tour certainly looks a lot more open than in recent years.