• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Critérium du Dauphiné 2017 (04/06 > 11/06/2017)

Page 70 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Props to Kwiatkowski for disappearing right before the top of the Col de la Colombière. When the Froome gets to the valley, Kwiatkowski suddenly made it back on, pulled them to the last climb on which he was passed by about 100riders and lost about half an hour.

Re: Re:

Pricey_sky said:
red zone said:
what Froome has shown countless times is that without a dominant team controlling the race he is very beatable he also had much more team support this week then Porte

and if Porte takes time on Froome he'll just wheel suck the Sky train and follow Froome's late attacks , it's not like Sky does anything else at the tour

Yes I agree, if Sky do that then Porte could be ok, but Sky have never had to have a different approach in the Tour as it's worked for Froome.

If Froome finds himself on the back foot and needs time I think we will see a much more aggressive Sky with Froome being more attacking like today.

Thing is that it won't just be SKY working over Richie; its crazy to think that MOVI haven't taken note and won't take their turn as may others from time to time .... and its not just going to be on Richie's favoured turf (uphill). It's going to be unrelenting and not always from the same players

Re:

yaco said:
Wel it will be a brutal race if Astana are confident of their two live chances in the GC with Aru and Fuglsang - Astana will make the race much tougher than the Sky Train - BMC will be strengthened with Caruso, Dennis and Van Avermaat joining the team for the TDF.

I'm not convinced that this form by Astana will translate to the Tour but they have had a good week. If Aru and Fuglsang can perform like this in the Tour it will make an interesting race even more interesting.

yaco said:
LaFlorecita said:
yaco said:
Porte rode a naive race - Form showed that Froome was never his main danger - Porte needed to counter attacks by Fuglsang and Aru and forget about Porte.
Made the same mistake as Contador in the Dauphiné 3 years ago - focused too much on Froome

Strange when it was obvious Aru and Fuglsang were clearly stronger than Froome - I doubt Froome can even make the podium in the TDF.
Eh, if he doesn't crash my guess is he'll either be 1st or 2nd.

dirkprovin said:
Pricey_sky said:
red zone said:
what Froome has shown countless times is that without a dominant team controlling the race he is very beatable he also had much more team support this week then Porte

and if Porte takes time on Froome he'll just wheel suck the Sky train and follow Froome's late attacks , it's not like Sky does anything else at the tour

Yes I agree, if Sky do that then Porte could be ok, but Sky have never had to have a different approach in the Tour as it's worked for Froome.

If Froome finds himself on the back foot and needs time I think we will see a much more aggressive Sky with Froome being more attacking like today.

Thing is that it won't just be SKY working over Richie; its crazy to think that MOVI haven't taken note and won't take their turn as may others from time to time .... and its not just going to be on Richie's favoured turf (uphill). It's going to be unrelenting and not always from the same players

The worst thing that could happen to Porte in the Tour is take the yellow jersey early in the race. BMC will have a better team in the Tour and hopefully Caruso and Roche can climb well.

From reading report of race I was expecting Froome to blow up massively in the last few kms. Didn't see that at all, just someone not in top form yet who attacked a lot and paid the price. Not much different yesterday's stage in terms of his form. Whether he can improve is the question I guess.

This talk of time bonifications is pretty silly. It's a part of the race as much as any Time Trial or stage gaps. Porte, Fuglsang, and Froome were all sprinting for the win on stage 6 and every one of them happily accepted whatever time bonus they earned.

Armstrong and Ullrich were even battling for intermediate time bonuses towards the end of the 2003 Tour. Lance had a lead of 1 min. or so to Ullrich but Ullrich had won the previous TT with a gap of 1:36 to Lance. So with another TT coming up, every second seemed important.

Here is the result of an intermediate (flat stage!) sprint at the 2003 Tour:

1 Robbie McEwen (Aus) Lotto Domo 6 pts
2 Jan Ullrich (Ger) Team Bianchi 4
3 Lance Armstrong (USA) US Postal-Berry Floor 2

-This CdD provided several "I didn't expect that" for me. Number one, I didn't expect JF to win.
-I'm not going to extrapolate CdD results to the TdF other than to hope that we have 6+ guys battling in July.
-I don't like time bonuses, but everyone knows about them at the start so make them part of the team strategy.

movingtarget said:
Son of Amsterhammer said:
I couldn't watch the last climb. Pretty close to a dead heat considering Porte was robbed of that stage win by Froome and Fulsang won because of it! What a finish.

After this race I don't see Richie doing any favours for Froome in the Tour. Richie won't be lacking motivation I don't think.
It only took almost two years for Porte to figure out that Froome is a killer on the road, friend or not he's going to go for the win every time.

It's good that Porte learned this lesson, maybe this will add the dynamic to the Tour that was missing last year, and driving us fans banana's...

Seems like Porte picked his spots, took a good look at the stem, and figured he'd be able to make up 30 seconds on the final climb. He was wrong...

Well, I guess Fuglsang owes his wife a nice gift? Not sure whether a stage win at the Dauphine qualifies as a big win but the GC definitely does.

If Fuglsang can keep up this form for 3 weeks and Aru remains strong, Astana will definitely be a factor in the Tour.

As for BMC, it seems like their team was split in two (with several of their best riders riding in Tour de Suisse) so Porte will have better support in the Tour.

Irondan said:
movingtarget said:
I couldn't watch the last climb. Pretty close to a dead heat considering Porte was robbed of that stage win by Froome and Fulsang won because of it! What a finish.

After this race I don't see Richie doing any favours for Froome in the Tour. Richie won't be lacking motivation I don't think.
It only took almost two years for Porte to figure out that Froome is a killer on the road, friend or not he's going to go for the win every time.

It's good that Porte learned this lesson, maybe this will add the dynamic to the Tour that was missing last year, and driving us fans banana's...

I'm wondering why it took Porte so long. Nibali learned that lesson in no time flat...

Re:

DanielSong39 said:
Seems like Porte picked his spots, took a good look at the stem, and figured he'd be able to make up 30 seconds on the final climb. He was wrong...

Well, I guess Fuglsang owes his wife a nice gift? Not sure whether a stage win at the Dauphine qualifies as a big win but the GC definitely does.

If Fuglsang can keep up this form for 3 weeks and Aru remains strong, Astana will definitely be a factor in the Tour.

As for BMC, it seems like their team was split in two (with several of their best riders riding in Tour de Suisse) so Porte will have better support in the Tour.
A stage win at the Dauphine is huge!

Just below the Grand Tour stage win level of the Tour and Giro, but bigger than a Vuelta stage win in my opinion, mainly because the competition is so much better in the Dauphine then the Vuelta most of the time.

DanielSong39 said:
Irondan said:
movingtarget said:

I'm wondering why it took Porte so long. Nibali learned that lesson in no time flat...
Probably because outside of the Italians, Nibali doesn't have many friends.

Count me as naive. I thought all he had to do was to pace himself, manage his gap to Froome, and figure he could make up 30+ seconds on the rest in the last 5 km.

I was very, very wrong.

I think it comes down to a completely unexpected and spectacular performance from Fuglsang to steal the race from Porte. He was by far the best today and he definitely earned it.

yaco said:
LaFlorecita said:
yaco said:
Porte rode a naive race - Form showed that Froome was never his main danger - Porte needed to counter attacks by Fuglsang and Aru and forget about Porte.
Made the same mistake as Contador in the Dauphiné 3 years ago - focused too much on Froome

Strange when it was obvious Aru and Fuglsang were clearly stronger than Froome - I doubt Froome can even make the podium in the TDF.
e8a.gif

As for Fuglsang's ability to hold his form for 3 weeks, I think his past GC results have to be taken with a grain of salt. He was clearly a (super) domestique in the last 3 Tours and last year's Giro. Actually had one of the more impressive rides in recent years by a domestique in the (in)famous Stage 5 of the 2014 Tour when he dragged Nibali to the line over the cobblestones.

We'll see how he responds as the (co)leader but even a podium finish wouldn't be too surprising.

TRENDING THREADS