• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cycling on USA TVs, desktops, laptops, and handheld devices

Page 47 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
You have to keep in mind the ability to measure everything, and I mean everything. People are only semi aware that through big data ,they know who lives in your house, how much money they spend and make, ages,sex, and what you watch and for how long, YouTube for example has data for fraction of the second.. How deep you will go into a video or type of advertising before you click out. Television producers know that talking over the head of a big percentage of the audience is troubling, bike racing is ultra confusing to the majority of people who watch it.
In the US telling people that the guy who won the race,maybe multiple days is not the winner, he may have won 2 stages and had all the camera time but in the end is a semi nobody. In TV you almost need to repeat the basics daily and terms like breakaway, and peloton, domestique need to be defined for the audience..
Peacock and the rest know you, know how often people watch bike racing and what kind,how long do they watch, is it dependent on day of the week or time of day..
It's annoying but science says that the broadcast needs to be geared for everyone, not only the most knowledgeable!! Taylor Swift will have an effect, thousands of people who have never watched football will start and producers will need to bring the language in line with the entire audience instead of getting more and more technical w descriptions. I have watched bike racing in the VA hospital, in bars,houses of non cyclists and they are looking for example obvious stuff, needs to be NASCAR simple, it's not.
Good points, especially about repeating (and if needed re-explaining) standard terminology so an audience can learn and understand what happening. But an announcer can do that without constantly resorting to cliches, especially when they don’t even describe what’s happening on the screen. Almost like they are verbal tics. I’m certainly not saying I can do a better job—it takes a lot of work keep a running dialogue for several hours when not that much is happening in the race. But I guess I just do’nt have the stomach for listening to it, and often choose to watch in other languages.

Reactions: Sandisfan
there's not very many good cycling commentators and they all have their annoying habits. the only one i actually like listening to is Daniel Lloyd. i can put up with everyone else except for Jens, but I couldn't imagine having to listen to Kirby for 3 weeks straight.
Kirby is like the Yacht Rock of commentators. He doesn't talk about much, but at least he does so at a low key.

Until of course when the sprint finish is on. Then it sounds like he's done a speedball of coke and is about to go on a murderous rampage.

Kirby is like the Yacht Rock of commentators. He doesn't talk about much, but at least he does so at a low key.

Until of course when the sprint finish is on. Then it sounds like he's done a speedball of coke and is about to go on a murderous rampage.
Who is the lone commentator for Peacock right now? I thought it was Liggett but is it Kirby? (I usually don't have the sound on early in the morning, so if the commentators introduce themselves I usually miss it.)

Last edited:

So it looks like these next three races are neither Max or Peacock.

If you have a VPN and you want an English language broadcast, G-W and RVV will be available on Australia's SBS

For the Dwars I don't seen any state broadcaster in English. So there's a chance to watch the race in Flemish, or French or Dutch or Italian etc.

they're on flo

So it looks like these next three races are neither Max or Peacock.

If you have a VPN and you want an English language broadcast, G-W and RVV will be available on Australia's SBS

For the Dwars I don't seen any state broadcaster in English. So there's a chance to watch the race in Flemish, or French or Dutch or Italian etc.
Belgian broadcasts are great for watching Dpring Classics:
Sporza.be (Dutch)
RTBF.be (French)

Reactions: Tricycle Rider