• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

DAOTEC ban

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
krebs303 said:
883.gif
When the unheard go deaf only

the unwashed wil not
be
392.gif
blinded

hasta la vista

KREBSOTEC

Awsome post. I have to save this for Party TIMEZ.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
well it seems that we all agree on this,DAOTEC is a legend on these forums,like it or not.he already served a pretty long ban,i think that's enough.he even missed those incredible saur wins.

Pretty long ban? It has not even been a week yet, the original ban he had.

Barrus said:

a week is long in virtual life.lol didn't even know that you can be banned for life on the internet=))))))))))probably only on the cycling forums,they heard they did it to hamilton so it's possible on the forums too.hillarious.who makes this rules?mr. gaddafi?

Barrus said:

You could, in the spirit of the passover tradition, depicted in the bible, pardon DAOTEC by popular acclaim the way Barabbas in the New Testament is pardoned thanks to the will of the people.

We the people, choose DAOTEC to be released from custody.

In this story, the Romans (moderators) do still get blood, with the crucification of Jesus, so maybe the next person caught discussing Armstrong can follow in the steps of the Nazarene, and get a longer ban to compensate ;)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I can't believe I didn't see this thread until now.

People have been wondering whom DAOTEC insulted, maybe I can give a little insight on this. He never directly insulted me, to be fair, and I also hit back at him a bit, for example by imitating his posts, and I also posted a rather bad comment about him in the thread about "Cycling might be more dangerous than you think" that I'm not particularly proud of.

What he did at least 3 to 4 times though was to post the pictures of the French Douanes' raid on Johny Schleck's car as a response to random posts of mine. At first I didn't mind and wanted to start a discussion about it, but he ignored me. Then I sent him a PM about it, and never got an answer.

Finally, I commented on Contador's case in the "Contad-over" thread, and again he posted those pictures, along with some typically cryptic, but still rather obviously condescendent and reproaching comments.

I then responded by copying his style and telling him in all the languages I know that it's getting old, that I sent him a PM, but that he's just going to ignore it again.

When I went back to the thread a little later I found that both our posts had been completely removed (it didn't even say *edited by Mod*).

This was not so long ago and must have been shortly before his ban. I considered putting him on my (still empty) ignore list, but then I didn't know how that would work out with all the race threads he always starts. Next thing I know I find out he's banned.

I don't know if this was part of the reason why he was banned, but I thought I should let you guys know ...

As for the DAOTEC imitation contest, this is something I did a while ago:

Christian said:
What I like about ¿DAOTEC's? posts though is that they are nicely coloured and well-illustrated. Secondly, d'habitude ils sont en wenigstens tres lenguas distintas. Furthermore, he always has some wicked emoticons which I have no idea where he gets them from! :confused:

The other one was a little better but got deleted, as mentioned above

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
You could, in the spirit of the passover tradition, depicted in the bible, pardon DAOTEC by popular acclaim the way Barabbas in the New Testament is pardoned thanks to the will of the people.

We the people, choose DAOTEC to be released from custody.

In this story, the Romans (moderators) do still get blood, with the crucification of Jesus, so maybe the next person caught discussing Armstrong can follow in the steps of the Nazarene, and get a longer ban to compensate ;)

I read that story. According to it, the people should be the last people whose judgement to trust.

Francois the Postman said:
I read that story. According to it, the people should be the last people whose judgement to trust.

No.

Because by trusting the people, the Romans started a short chain of events, which led to Jesus "dying for our sins" thereby saving the entire world.

It also got us a holiday in April the day after RVV;)

You see, from little gestures like this, good things can happen;)

A

Anonymous

to be honest i think weve managed just fine without him. Random small races are still getting their stage profiles posted, theres some new kits from unknown teams in the kit thread.

Sure, we havnt got the latest update on if Mick Rogers wife has had the baby yet, but Im sure I could find out if we are really that worried.

One the plus side, the new thread count is a bit smaller over the last few days.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
well it seems that we all agree on this,DAOTEC is a legend on these forums,like it or not.he already served a pretty long ban,i think that's enough.he even missed those incredible saur wins.

jens_attacks said:
a week is long in virtual life.lol didn't even know that you can be banned for life on the internet=))))))))))probably only on the cycling forums,they heard they did it to hamilton so it's possible on the forums too.hillarious.who makes this rules?mr. gaddafi?

How about putting some decent arguments that DAOTEC should be allowed back? Meh, I'm not going to write an obituary's for him, I mean you take your 7-day ban and cool your heels on the sidelines and don't create any multi's (not that they are allowed at any point, and one of the common universal laws on all forums), and then make your long awaited comeback. It's not that hard to follow, but I guess for some people it is.

I had a lot of respect for DAOTEC, but then what did it for me, was that late last year (IIRC around August or September), when everybody knew that Jakob Fuglsang was leaving Riis to go ride for the Schleck's at Leopard-Trek (even Mr Fuglsang said so himself), DAO posted some story that Fuglsang was going to stay with Riis at Saxo, so when a Danish poster called him out on it, DAO lost the plot, and implied he was right and the Danish person was wrong, when he/she asked DAO for a credible link (it was in the old 2011 transfers thread).

craig all your arguments are valid.and also arguments of the others like dim.i agree on this.but your problem is that most of you takes internet waaaaayyy too seriously.how the hell can you be banned for life on a forum?what is that mara salvatrucha or something?seriously...

jens_attacks said:
craig all your arguments are valid.and also arguments of the others like dim.i agree on this.but your problem is that most of you takes internet waaaaayyy too seriously.how the hell can you be banned for life on a forum?what is that mara salvatrucha or something?seriously...
No one took the internets more seriusly than DAOTEC, so it all makes sense.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
I could go either way on this: 1) let DAOTEC and dim and a lot of others come back. 2) Alternatively, start banning everybody for even the slightest mis-step.

The latter option would probably be more entertaining. I never participated in the RBR forums, but I had a look after reading here about all of the banning going on there. If CN is going to have a forum as over-moderated and as sensitive as RBR's then at least it should distinguish itself and go all the way and just ban everybody for even the slightest snark or vulgarity.:D

I volunteer to be the next one banned.:D

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Daotec originally only had a short week long ban and would have come back around now. But due to the fact he used a sockpuppet, one of the few reasons we give permanent bans, he has been as of yet banned indefinitely, as have several others that did the same.

Dim actually is back on the forum and has been for a very long time. But option 1, rescinding permanent bans, won't occur because people like buckwheat and BPC would be back in that case as well

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:

... rescinding permanent bans, won't occur because people like buckwheat and BPC would be back in that case as well

I know that BPC was a major schizophrenic sockpuppet, but what did buckwheat do?

Even though I found some of DAOTEC's posts a little annoying, I am in favor of forgiving his act of sockpuppetry because (as I understand it) it was done not to validate himself, which is creepy, but just to keep on contributing to the forum.

Also, with the "ignore feature" I don't get why it is necessary to ban anybody. Admittedly, I have never put anybody on the ignore list, but if there is a poster that disrupt threads, doesn't this feature obviate the need to ban someone? Bring back BPC say I, and ignore him.

gregod said:
Also, with the "ignore feature" I don't get why it is necessary to ban anybody. Admittedly, I have never put anybody on the ignore list, but if there is a poster that disrupt threads, doesn't this feature obviate the need to ban someone? Bring back BPC say I, and ignore him.

Each person has to ignore them, guests can't ignore people. It's impossible to "blanket ignore" someone, if they can still post they can still disrupt discussions. The only way it could work was if the ignore feature carried on to some kind of reputation system, if you get enough ignores that person's posts automatically appear in the suppressed form for everyone.

Most people ignore Polish/flicker but there are occasions where someone decides to reply to them.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
gregod said:
I know that BPC was a major schizophrenic sockpuppet, but what did buckwheat do?

Buckwheat bothered Laura over a public medium, other than the forum, even after having repeatedly been asked to do so through private messages and repeatedly been tolded that Laura had nothing to with it.

Also BPC can no longer be allowed back due to his behaviour and his tendency to spam people with pms and some other things

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
... guests can't ignore people. ...
I didn't think of that.

Ferminal said:
Most people ignore Polish/flicker but there are occasions where someone decides to reply to them.
Two points: first, while "ignore" isn't perfect, one can probably guess by an out of context reply that it is to someone on your list. second, "ignore" still allows for others to engage those who you may choose not to. It seems to be a reasonable compromise at the minor inconvenience of having to see an out of context post.

Barrus said:
Buckwheat bothered Laura over a public medium, other than the forum, even after having repeatedly been asked to do so through private messages and repeatedly been tolded that Laura had nothing to with it.
This must have been written in haste as it is a bit unclear, but I think I get the overall point that he had singled out someone. cheers.

Barrus said:
Also BPC can no longer be allowed back due to his behaviour and his tendency to spam people with pms and some other things

He was a real psycho, but he never hassled me because i ignored him.:D

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I think we can say that jackhammer will never be allowed back on here, what with what he said about TFF's wife and what he would to do her.

While he perhaps might get another chance in the future .... I dont think it should be any time soon. The rules are pretty clear.

He got a ban for being an insulting turd ... it was deserved.

Coming back and just carrying on as usual is incredibly insulting and disprespectful to both the moderators who give up their valuable time to run the place, and those he insulted in the first place.

The rules arent that hard peoples ....

gregod said:
This must have been written in haste as it is a bit unclear, but I think I get the overall point that he had singled out someone. cheers.

What Barrus doesnt mention and hence to his credit refuses to play the victim card, is that as i recall, buckwheat callled Barrus (or Burrus as buckwheat would call him) a little Eichmann. Thats on top of everything else. Imo barrus has every right to lifetime ban someone after they pull some ***t like that.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
What Barrus doesnt mention and hence to his credit refuses to play the victim card, is that as i recall, buckwheat callled Barrus (or Burrus as buckwheat would call him) a little Eichmann. Thats on top of everything else. Imo barrus has every right to lifetime ban someone after they pull some ***t like that.

Well, to be quite frank that was after his ban, but is the reason that if he comes back on here I won't be here anymore.

Buckwheat sought out an employee of CN on twitter and harassed here there about his temporary ban on this forum. He was repeatedly told by Laura that he should do this through messaging on twitter and that she was not the correct person for this. He continued harassing her in public on twitter and was subsequently permanently banned because of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.